Someone please explain why the Rams still have Wells?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm starting to lose my mind with this. He was so bad, I don't even know why he's on the team even as a backup. Now add in that he costs $4 million and it makes me question if Snisher know wtf they're doing.

I like Wells as a person but the very sight of Wells as a player actually ignites a rage inside me.

Talk me off the ledge.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I'm starting to lose my mind with this. He was so bad, I don't even know why he's on the team even as a backup. Now add in that he costs $4 million and it makes me question if Snisher know wtf they're doing.

I like Wells as a person but the very sight of Wells as a player actually ignites a rage inside me.

Talk me off the ledge.
How about you just make room on the ledge. I cannot disagree with anything you have said here.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Because we currently have nobody to replace him on the roster. I imagine if they ink another vet center, you'll see Wells cut at that time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because its the way the Rams do business.
Last team to find an oc, last team to make cap room. Last team to sign FA
I'm on the fisher/Snead bandwagon but sense of urgency has never been their strong point

V3

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because we currently have nobody to replace him on the roster. I imagine if they ink another vet center, you'll see Wells cut at that time.
I don't even want Wells as a last resort. I'd rather convert some OG to C before trying that disaster again.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I don't even want Wells as a last resort. I'd rather convert some OG to C before trying that disaster again.
I'd rather have someone who has at least played more than 10 snaps at the position rather than counting on a rookie, and two others who haven't seen much action.

Be patient. I think you'll see us lock up a vet in the next few days. And then Wells will be packing his suitcase.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Personally I think we should just cut Wells right now. Start Barrett Jones, if he doesn't pan out this year then we hit FA/Draft next year. If long can restructure to be a swing backup OT/OG on a pay-as-you-play contract then I'd be interested. Pick up an OG in FA (if there will be any left) draft an OT/OG high in the draft, ones that are ready to go and start the guys. I'm fed up of the 'potential' of draft picks. Just draft guys that can play NOW. We're not the Patriots who can keep guys on the back burner for a couple of years we need them to hit the ground running right now.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Because its the way the Rams do business.
Last team to find an oc, last team to make cap room. Last team to sign FA
I'm on the fisher/Snead bandwagon but sense of urgency has never been their strong point

That's not even remotely true. Just b/c the team isn't the first to sign an OC, doesn't mean it's wrong.

FA is overrated anyway, but they have been on the ball their 1st couple years.

They'll do business the way they see fit. Let teams like the Dolphins, Redskins, Jets, etc make their March headlines and throw money around to name players/coaches.

While teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay, etc. will just sit back and laugh.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, $4M for wells, What-his-name from KC is getting $8M+ from Oakland, that will make Wiz available. Probably will take $7M to get him in horns. So, for the FO Im sure it because is Wiz a big enough upgrade to justify the additional $3M per year.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler

And yet they cut Kendall Langford a week ago...

I'd rather have someone who has at least played more than 10 snaps at the position rather than counting on a rookie, and two others who haven't seen much action.

I just can't fathom this logic. You'd rather have a guy who has a 100% known quantity of suck (or going on IR) at $4million versus a rookie or a Jones/Rhaney that at the very worst would suck the same as Wells -- but at least do his sucking at 8 times cheaper the price -- and perhaps have at least a .001% chance of not actually sucking, or heaven forbid actually be good?

Cut his old/injured/suck ass, try Jones, Rhaney, draft pick, Hy-Vee baggers, sumo wrestlers... who the hell cares? Any and all are better logically than sticking with Wells.

Be patient. I think you'll see us lock up a vet in the next few days. And then Wells will be packing his suitcase.
Wells is due a $1million roster bonus on March 12. Time has run out. And honestly the time to cut him was the first minute the offseason began.

TD2

UDFA
Scott Wells is due a $1 million roster bonus on March 12th. Until then no harm has been done by not releasing him. I doubt he is paid that roster bonus. Until then I might agree with the premise of this thread. But until then the venting is premature.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Scott Wells is due a $1 million roster bonus on March 12th. Until then no harm has been done by not releasing him. I doubt he is paid that roster bonus. Until then I might agree with the premise of this thread. But until then the venting is premature.
And what exactly can Wells do in that time frame to justify that contract?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I just can't fathom this logic. You'd rather have a guy who has a 100% known quantity of suck (or going on IR) at $4million versus a rookie or a Jones/Rhaney that at the very worst would suck the same as Wells -- but at least do his sucking at 8 times cheaper the price -- and perhaps have at least a .001% chance of not actually sucking, or heaven forbid actually be good?

You know Jones/Rhaney could actually be even worse than Wells right?

I'm going to go ahead and trust that the front office knows more of what to expect from our in house options than you do.

I'm also going to hold out hope that we sign Wisniewski because the fact that they're holding onto Wells right now isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the two youngsters on the roster.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Paying Wells a million dollar roster bonus would be equivalent to tendering a campfire with $100 bills during a heat wave.