So, how is the Snead/McVay offseason ‘To Do’ list progressing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well... We knew Williams could play during the end of the 2019 season when he was ballin his ass off. He was doing exactly what he did the next season in fact. There's post after post on this site about him during that time window. Littleton also flashed in sub opportunities before he got his starting gig if memory serves, not to mention looking good in preseason.

The problem with the centers is that none of them have shown us much on the field. That's not to say that none of these guys can solve the position for us, especially in a short-term role for just this season. But recent history the Rams haven't exactly been batting a thousand with their OL choices. So not only is that why we have a new OL coach but it's also why there's a lot of room to wonder if they might end up with a problem at center yet again. Of the possibilities only Corbett is a guy who has played well in any sort of role for more than a very small sample size.

Also... Fans often think crazy shit I agree. But fans are also right sometimes about things because we judge these guys on their play on the field not the myriad other things that coaches get distracted with. I don't recall one fan thinking Demby should have gotten as much opportunity as the coaching gave him for example. That all came from him sucking up to his OL coach IMO. There's plenty of examples like that just with the OL. Boom starting over Edwards which was a joke and the fans knew it immediately how did the team miss that shit. Blythe being a guy with real and significant weaknesses that showed over and over on film yet somehow the team thought he was an answer for way longer than they should have. And so on.

I'll bet right now in fact that if we draft a good center prospect he'll get a chance to win that starting role in spite of all the smoke Snead blew out there surrounding rookie centers. Why am I so sure about that? Because the other options suck. Creed Humphries for example is not a perfect prospect by any means but it's hard to see any of these guys besides maybe Corbett beating him out. I think if we take him he will start as a rook and barring injury he's not the only one.

I'd love to see these posts about Williams. He was behind Troy Hill last year after the Ramsey/Talib/Peters trades.

I'll grant you that they all flashed though - so has Evans.

And Corbett is better than Blythe.

So an example of what I'm talking about could be Whit/Edwards/Corbett/Evans/Havenstein

Not saying I would love it myself, and I agree that fans are right sometimes.

But at the same time, there's value to rolling with unproven players in position groups where we have a lot of other talent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
but if they draft say Radunz in round 2 as our LT of the future (which would be a windfall for us IMO) and stick him at LG it allows for Edwards to move RG and IMO things look a ton better and with OG play that may be good enough to protect a marginal center. It could also be a guy like Meinerz or Green too who they start out at OG with the same effect. Or of course Corbs being moved to the pivot too.

That’s a lot of moving around.... But I like the nastiness of Radunz.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'd love to see these posts about Williams. He was behind Troy Hill last year after the Ramsey/Talib/Peters trades.

I'll grant you that they all flashed though - so has Evans.

And Corbett is better than Blythe.

So an example of what I'm talking about could be Whit/Edwards/Corbett/Evans/Havenstein

Not saying I would love it myself, and I agree that fans are right sometimes.

But at the same time, there's value to rolling with unproven players in position groups where we have a lot of other talent.

Well if Corbett starts at Center. I could see The Rams starting Offensive Line
maybe looking like this ?? I know it is F”d up thinking though.

LT- Noteboom
LG-Whitworth
C-Corbett
RG-Edwards
RT-Havenstien

Yes - this is not what I would’ve even dreamed of,but there is reasoning.

1.Whitworth-has those 4 players workout at his house.(not sure about any other lineman).If it’s more than just them then this is not a thing.
2.Whitworth just said he was &!willing to play Guard.
3.Noteboom handled the LT better than LG,& is his best position.
4. Whitworth would get through the season easier & would rather just get more physical.

I HATE Brian Allen as a Ram right now.Then again I could see him as the starting Center.Then again I could see him getting cut.He is athletic

Landon Dickerson might be worth moving up for if trade value is right.I don’t think Mcvay values the position as much though..This guy is a pure Mahler though.

—Cam Akers & The Rams O”Line will be top 5 in The NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
LG-Whitworth
200.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s a lot of moving around.... But I like the nastiness of Radunz.
Yeah it is. But the good thing is if they go that route Edwards wouldn't have any probs going back to the right side. He followed Hav at RT at Wisconsin after all.

But it would be an interesting way to add the LT of the future while still having an impact this season by that pick.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

It’s predeaft BS talk,but Whitworth made reference to it when talking about Trent Williams being traded.
Nick Bosa & C.Jones were injured in both games against The Rams.He missed 6 games to injury in 2020.
Corbett playing Center ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
BTW - Noteboom might be The LT of the future. We all know he has a least played LT for The Rams.Whitworth was a Guard for CINNCY. Corbett has never played Center in The NFL.
—Stranger things have happened & Whitworth was the messager.We don’t know what the 2021 draft will bring.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Saying they let Blythe leave is relative. One could also say Blythe spurned them. After all its been reported Rams offered Blythe more than what he signed with the Chiefs for.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saying they let Blythe leave is relative. One could also say Blythe spurned them. After all its been reported Rams offered Blythe more than what he signed with the Chiefs for.
He's a backup dude. He signed for peanuts somewhere else, which incidentally is what most here on this board expected to happen. "Spurning the Rams" insinuates they gave a fuck about him leaving. Which was clearly not the case.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
He's a backup dude. He signed for peanuts somewhere else, which incidentally is what most here on this board expected to happen. "Spurning the Rams" insinuates they gave a fuck about him leaving. Which was clearly not the case.
What was clearly the case was that he was plan b Dude. A team against the cap does not make an offer to a throw away. 5 Guys left on offense and none the rams made an offer on.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kind of a circular statement here.
If Blythe is replaced "in house", that's a serious stretch to call it "an upgrade"
The examples listed 1-3 required bringing in new players
Center apparently didnt belong on the list

Why is calling one of those mentioned players an upgrade over Blythe be a ‘serious stretch’? That’s not a terribly high bar, man.

All Rams actions this year regarding OC are screaming to us that they not only like at least one of those 4, but that they are apparently committed to actually starting one of them.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I didn’t see the report Blythe was even offered a contract by The Rams,or if it was still on the table when he signed with KC.Austin Blythe is sort of a MIDWEST guy. Cost of living & taxes.
As long as Blythe was a Ram it wasn’t going to extend his career for sure.The change might be the best thing for him ? He was in a offense with a New OC every season as well.
The Rams needed to make a decision on The Center spot now.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is calling one of those mentioned players an upgrade over Blythe be a ‘serious stretch’? That’s not a terribly high bar, man.

All Rams actions this year regarding OC are screaming to us that they not only like at least one of those 4, but that they are apparently committed to actually starting one of them.

Replacing the C is obviously not a priority, certainly not registering anywhere on the radar. Clearly they were more concerned with getting an o-line coach and "upgrading" the scheme.
Off season "to do" list also had "upgrade the Special Teams Coach" BIG check mark complete

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn’t see the report Blythe was even offered a contract by The Rams,or if it was still on the table when he signed with KC.Austin Blythe is sort of a MIDWEST guy. Cost of living & taxes.
As long as Blythe was a Ram it wasn’t going to extend his career for sure.The change might be the best thing for him ? He was in a offense with a New OC every season as well.
The Rams needed to make a decision on The Center spot now.
I thought I saw somewhere that the Rams had offered him a cheap deal, and the KC offered less. Maybe it was just a poster's opinion. Either way I still find it curious that the have a new o-line coach, and didnt bring anyone in new.

dang

Legend
I wouldn’t be surprised if KC indicated Blythe would be given a chance to start whereby the Rams let him know they were going in a different direction for a starter at C.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Replacing the C is obviously not a priority, certainly not registering anywhere on the radar. Clearly they were more concerned with getting an o-line coach and "upgrading" the scheme.
Off season "to do" list also had "upgrade the Special Teams Coach" BIG check mark complete

Kromer walked away for whatever reason.It just gives Mcvay his guys.
Aubrey Pleasant left to Detroit who
can help change lives off the field as well & is meaningful to him.It gives him more of a view point as a DC by maybe having an Excellent Secondary.
Being with Holmes & The Rams ex- DT-Executive scout(name?)
This OLine coach is a perfect fit.Adding experience for Careberry at Stafford really helps in scouting as well as having a new view upfront.
Zac Kromer is still around & Has DONE an Excellent Job as a OLine Coach as Well.He Will be apart of it still IMO? I just know right now he is a better coach than his father would be for The Rams right now.He is more hands on & player friendly.He also keeps the pace of the drills going & is more thorough.I don’t know when a son shakes his head at his father at his old ways & not understanding the progress of Life ? We all have our own skills.
I don’t know what The Rams are thinking at Center at all.What I do know is Whitworth’s Leadership & Ownership of this group as a Mentor.When he leaves The Rams he wants to have an IMPRINT!!!
You can TELL ME I don’t know The Rams as a FAN.I’d say in parts your right.I do know what I’ve seen,followed, & experienced over many years.I think know more than ever there is a pattern with Sean Mcvay as a HC.The pattern is that he is learning as he goes & trust the process,coaches,players,front office, & Ownership. This franchise is in good shape.
As a Rams Fan I’m just enjoying the process.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I wouldn’t be surprised if KC indicated Blythe would be given a chance to start whereby the Rams let him know they were going in a different direction for a starter at C.

Agree - there had to be an upgrade & a future. Austin Blythe was a Stop Gap player who is really just a swing guy & not a starter Imo. He was NEVER a starting RG!!!! I saw not resigning Roger Saffold because of the cost.Why not sign a Veteran RG .John Sullivan was cut,but that goes back to WTF did The RAMS draft BRIAN ALLEN as a 3rd pick ?? NEVER made SENSE!! Talk about the future???
Hopkins is a perfect example of future.
T.Lewis & Jefferson the same!!
—Cam Akers was a perfect pick,but there were 5 RB’s in 2020 that would have fit.He is only 22(Emitt Smith). He reminds me of Fred Taylor.I know they were Florida(c.Jefferson) guys.We can go with that FSU(Tampa) RB as well.D.Cooks was a player instead of Everett & JJ I liked in 2020. Gurley will always question why The Rams signed him to that big contract. Mcvay let him be that DIVA & Pittsburgh mess was what I guess the Rams did want . Bell & Brown??
Anyway just another ramble,but a solid view.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds about right.

What is interesting with the Rams... they have shifted their core. And... not just slightly. At the top; Goff and Gurley (2018).

How many teams have done that in 3yrs?
Browns since 1941?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

Blythe stated that he grew up a Chiefs fan and was excited for the opportunity to play for them.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I think a poster said it best, a lot of starting talent but weaker overall than previous year.

That is due to poor contract management minus Gurley who developed a long standing injury after signing. All those dead cap money issues result in 3-5 quality players hence why we are weaker overall.

Can we get by sure, obviously a good draft helps but we all have seen very rarely do draftees do well in their first season. We are not drafting to the last fourth of the 2nd round 56 players before the Rams pick.

Couple things we are not out of the woods with DWill someone in the back half of the first could make him an offer he will be most likely way better than any corner the guy would draft.

We are losing all 4 active ilbs and 2 maybe 3 OL starters next year that is a ton of talent to lose or need to resign without upgrading and both areas are our weakest 2 areas by far. We are in a better cap position and the cap should jump up nicely but that being said we need to get lucky in the draft on 2 fronts no DWill offer and find 2/3 gems in the draft.