So, how is the Snead/McVay offseason ‘To Do’ list progressing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, let’s see...

1. Replace/upgrade Jared Goff.

Blockbuster trade was executed bringing in a elite QB in Stafford. Now McVay’s playbook can be fully opened once again. Check.

2. Get a speed deep threat WR for Stafford.

Signed DeSean Jackson on an affordable 1 year rental contract with incentives. Check.

3. Upgrade Center.

Allowed the relatively mediocre Blythe to walk with scarcely any effort to retain him. No FA’s signed, either. Apparently intending to start a player already on the roster at OC this season. Might draft an OC high but probably wouldn’t start him this year, anyway. Result here is still tbd.

4. Maintain a strong Edge presence.

Extended Floyd which definitely solves that problem on one side. Big Check.

5. Keep DW as a starter in ‘21.

Tendered DW with a 1st round offer. Check.

All considered, the above is quite a lot in terms of roster/playcalling impact, although without a lot of FA signings. Rams are counting on several players already on the roster stepping up to replace departed UFA’s, but they’ve been doing this successfully for years.

Still some needs, of course. But they’re mostly ‘next year’ position needs and will be addressed in the draft plus final FA signings. The one position that I think is a ‘21 need is WOLB and it should be a draft priority. I just lack confidence in our current players on that side and that will continue until one of them proves to be at least NFL average AND stays healthy while doing so.

But at this predraft stage of the offseason I have to say that it looks like the Rams have a plan and are executing it rather nicely.

Thoughts?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
When you put it that way...they’re doing a bang up job!
I am still concerned about the Center spot and, as you stated, they could use a solid guy of the future opposite Floyd. Lewis flashed enough for me to see the talent but his injury history followed him into the league last year. That’s concerning and does not inspire confidence in his weekly availability.
I would consider those two positions the biggest immediate needs, but CB is not far behind. You need 3 pretty good ones these days and who knows what happens next year with DW?

I think it’s awesome the Rams can continue to plug holes before the draft, minimizing their dependence on what is basically a crap shoot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, let’s see...

Blockbuster trade was executed bringing in a elite QB in Stafford. Now McVay’s playbook can be fully opened once again. Check.

Signed DeSean Jackson on an affordable 1 year rental contract with incentives. Check.

3. Upgrade Center.

Allowed the relatively mediocre Blythe to walk with scarcely any effort to retain him. No FA’s signed, either. Apparently intending to start a player already on the roster at OC this season. Might draft an OC high but probably wouldn’t start him this year, anyway. Result here is still tbd.

All considered, the above is quite a lot in terms of roster/playcalling impact, although without a lot of FA signings. Rams are counting on several players already on the roster stepping up to replace departed UFA’s, but they’ve been doing this successfully for years.

Still some needs, of course. But they’re mostly ‘next year’ position needs and will be addressed in the draft plus final FA signings. The one position that I think is a ‘21 need is WOLB and it should be a draft priority. I just lack confidence in our current players on that side and that will continue until one of them proves to be at least NFL average AND stays healthy while doing so.

But at this predraft stage of the offseason I have to say that it looks like the Rams have a plan and are executing it rather nicely.

Thoughts?

They are short at corner and future corner. Weak at iLBer. Shaky at edge. Close to needing an OLT. Otherwise they are looking pretty darn good

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love that the Rams will move anyone who is not living up to expectations. There isn't one dude in that locker room who doesn't know that if he wants to stay in horns he's gotta produce.

This is part of the reason we have Super Bowls in our near future. IMO. :fistbump::cool:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

The current Rams leadership are better builders than previous regimes.

I find myself more and more going “ahh... that made sense” in retrospect. The Rams thinking one step ahead. We see that now at C and TE.

In years past; our strategy felt more like we simply tried to collect good players... and hope by doing that it all adds up.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love that the Rams will move anyone who is not living up to expectations. There isn't one dude in that locker room who doesn't know that if he wants to stay in horns he's gotta produce.

This is part of the reason we have Super Bowls in our near future. IMO. :fistbump::cool:
Unless kroenke walks into the locker room...his job is safe

dang

Legend
Strengthen IOL. Find complement to Floyd. strong Edge Find Troy Hill and Brock replacements. Then Rock n Roll.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Yep - Mcvays outside the box player development.Les Snead is man when it comes to restocking the selfs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The current Rams leadership are better builders than previous regimes.

It find myself more and more going “ahh... that made sense” in retrospect. The Rams thinking one step ahead. We see that now at C and TE.

In years past; our strategy felt more like we simply tried to collect good players... and hope by doing that it all adds up.

It has taking awhile to get to this point & some growing pains a long the way.The thing about McSnead is they work well together & are not afraid to make moves.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kronke will be enjoying the beauty of the locker room,but not the way Trump does with his Miss Teen Locker Rooms. Now that is a scary site & something to worry about.
Stan is The Man & just built one of The Worlds best stadiums.Wonder what Staley’s Lockeroom is going to look like.I’m sure not as nice as The Rams?
Meh...selective moral outrage..stick to sports

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Well, let’s see...

3. Upgrade Center.

Thoughts?

I really like the Rams' moves, especially resigning Floyd and signing Jackson. Of course, the trade for Stafford was big but that was qb for qb plus draft picks. But it is not a criticism to point out that there is an element of reality here that can't quite be ignored.

The Rams are constrained by the salary cap after eating too many large contracts. By my (possibly wrong) quick and dirty count we've let about 10 guys walk and signed maybe 2 new players. Some of the guys who left will not be missed, and certainly not by me, but some of the others such as JJ, Brockers, Fox, Brown, and Hill might still be Rams if we were in better shape on the cap. Or we would have signed at least some replacements.

The result is that the Rams have a core roster of some really talented players but are thinner in depth compared to last year. (Next year will likely be a very different story, but this is now.)

In the meantime the Rams will need to have other guys on the roster step up, including in new roles (center). We need to have a productive draft of at least some players with 2021 impact-- stay tuned. And we will need to stay healthy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Meh...selective moral outrage..stick to sports

Stan Kronke is solid owner,what does Stan going into the locker room have anything to do with Negativity.He supports The Rams organization.
Ask all The Players that he paid because of what they did for The Rams Franchise. Goff & Gurley just as an example have sold Jersey & helped fill the seats.
Just glad Stan Kronke is The Rams Owner & him coming into The Rams Lockeroom come February 2022 would be pretty FREAKING AWESOME!!

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Patriots were one of the first teams to do this but it makes sense to follow that model:

Get a core of great players - AD, Ramsey, Woods, Kupp, Whitworth - who allow you to get production out of average players - Blythe, Reynolds, Hill, Everett, Fox as recent examples - and then let them move on and replace them with players that you've been developing.

Because the Rams use this model, we as fans end up not knowing what they have in players that have been developing internally.

Which is all to say the following:

Hill - replaced by Long/Deayon - push - I was always in Troy Hills corner but he was average. Only concern is if Long/Deayon can play outside and allow Ramsey his versatility. But - I doubt we throw a rookie CB on the outside anyways - I think if we draft someone it will be with an eye toward replacing Williams, not Hill.

Ebukam - Hollins was better than him last year. Enough said.

Brockers - I just don't see it as much of a loss. Yes he was a good run defender, but he was on the team in 2017 and 2018 when the run defense wasn't good. We have run defenders in spades, so replacing him with Robinson/SJD/Gaines will be fine.

Fox - he would be replaced by one of the fearsome foursome from the practice squad. This is a big question mark for me - BUT - adding a pass rusher anywhere solves it IMO. Fox was the second best pass rusher on a per snap basis last year, so as of this moment our pass rush is worse than last year and that's something we need to address IMO.

JJ - replaced by Burgess, expect a big drop off and nothing we can do about it.

Blythe - could be replaced in house but hoping to see new blood.

Reynolds - VJ

Everett - Hopkins

The only concern I have is OL and pass rush. If we could somehow add a stud OL and a situational pass rusher, we'd be in the driver's seat. Internal guys could also develop into that.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yep - Mcvays outside the box player development.Les Snead is man when it comes to restocking the selfs.
Demoff somehow keeps us under the cap despite questionable contracts.

Our scouts keep finding us cheap defensive backs and defensive lineman.

No complaints out of me. :biggrin:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Demoff somehow keeps us under the cap despite questionable contracts.

Our scouts keep finding us cheap defensive backs and defensive lineman.

No complaints out of me. :biggrin:

will be interesting- Juju & Deayon.
—As much as some want to doubt.Reeder was the starting MLB for The number 1 defense in The NFL.Kiser I think beats him out though & Reeder will be a core special player.

Hollins & Calias were wire pick ups when last cuts were made 2020

Getting a late 1st early 2nd for a 5th rd. Pick in Corbett.That was one of the best & most needed trade If seen Mid/Season.Wonder what happens to him this year on a contract year? Do The Rams get a comp pick for him ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Patriots were one of the first teams to do this but it makes sense to follow that model:

Get a core of great players - AD, Ramsey, Woods, Kupp, Whitworth - who allow you to get production out of average players - Blythe, Reynolds, Hill, Everett, Fox as recent examples - and then let them move on and replace them with players that you've been developing.

Because the Rams use this model, we as fans end up not knowing what they have in players that have been developing internally.

Which is all to say the following:

Hill - replaced by Long/Deayon - push - I was always in Troy Hills corner but he was average. Only concern is if Long/Deayon can play outside and allow Ramsey his versatility. But - I doubt we throw a rookie CB on the outside anyways - I think if we draft someone it will be with an eye toward replacing Williams, not Hill.

Ebukam - Hollins was better than him last year. Enough said.

Brockers - I just don't see it as much of a loss. Yes he was a good run defender, but he was on the team in 2017 and 2018 when the run defense wasn't good. We have run defenders in spades, so replacing him with Robinson/SJD/Gaines will be fine.

Fox - he would be replaced by one of the fearsome foursome from the practice squad. This is a big question mark for me - BUT - adding a pass rusher anywhere solves it IMO. Fox was the second best pass rusher on a per snap basis last year, so as of this moment our pass rush is worse than last year and that's something we need to address IMO.

JJ - replaced by Burgess, expect a big drop off and nothing we can do about it.

Blythe - could be replaced in house but hoping to see new blood.

Reynolds - VJ

Everett - Hopkins

The only concern I have is OL and pass rush. If we could somehow add a stud OL and a situational pass rusher, we'd be in the driver's seat. Internal guys could also develop into that.

You have a very similar view as myself
looking into 2021.I think McSnead have finally found what works for them.

I was disappointed in The 2020 FA from 2017.
-Everett was always on the cusp.Imo he will breakout.-Hopkins is that guy I saw The Rams hit on coming into this season.
—Jefferson the same,in fact Reynolds never played special teams.I’d rather Jefferson not playing special teams.For one he was not that good.
—David Long pushed Troy Hill.If you look back at being drafted he went from maybe starting to Special teams.
He was actually playing slot with Williams in 2019.Troy Hill got hurt for a game.RAMsey was also traded for.
—Tyler Rapp was such a good value pick.He is still raw & he RAMsey cost The Rams a playoff spot in 2019.Now going into there 3rd season together.Rapp already took over for JJ as well in 2019. Anyone want to doubt this is not the vision go back to the end of 2019.
—Stafford is Stafford is Stafford is Stafford. Goff is 1st. & 1st. & a 3rd.
—another words udrfa,udrfa,udrfa,udrfa. This is how McSnead work together.I wonder if Brad Holmes picks up on MCVAYS coaching style on his roster ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Add Brian Allen already beat out Blythe in 2019.This was suppose to have already have happened in 2020.
Blythe signed 2 1 year contracts.A 3rd 1 year contract Austin Blythe just signed with KC.

Brocker - Robinson replaced him in 2020.The Rams actually got lucky in that the Ravens pulled crap on his contract.The Rams signed him like they did Saffold after the Raiders did the same.

Fox - Gaines played NT. They played off each other,but 2019 McSnead really had this vision finally.Depth upfront is needed. Covid keeps us blind on depth the roster here - agree 4-some.
Still The Rams need depth

OBo-Lewis-Hollins all add depth on the edge for Ebukham.OBo has stepped up into the leadership position.

The beauty of 2020 draft was Burgess,Floyd & Anchrum
-Gay-Rosenbom-Huges-Jones-Calias
4-some—JR Reed—Koski-The QB!!

2019 - Nick Scott - Bobby Evans
—Brewer—Reeder—Gervse—Blanton
N. Webster

I’d like Dickerson from Bama & Pup him in 2021 at #58.

If not Dickerson then Top WR or DE/OLB. Always top DB’s a CB

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Sounds about right.

What is interesting with the Rams... they have shifted their core. And... not just slightly. At the top; Goff and Gurley (2018).

How many teams have done that in 3yrs?

TheTackle

Starter
Great job. I agree that this is their plan. Sign impact players and then build through the draft.

I think they will hope our first pick will start/play in year 1 (possibly as the 3rd CB on passing downs). From there they will continue to build up talent across positions.

I am also excited to see who shakes loose in the 2nd wave of FA as I can see a player like Sullivan becoming available on the cheap after the draft (at a position of need such as center or nickel)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd love for them to sign guys like Maurice Hurst and Arden Key: still young and cheap players who can provide depth.