So, how is the Snead/McVay offseason ‘To Do’ list progressing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sounds about right.

What is interesting with the Rams... they have shifted their core. And... not just slightly. At the top; Goff and Gurley (2018).

How many teams have done that in 3yrs?

Tampa Bay - look where that got them.
don’t even want to think about Arizona.

Carolina will have 2 of the best PAC 12 players.So there you have NE ? The Jags have no choice, but Myers is there for awhile after this.

Saints - They need another RB though to replace Murray & Ingram.
Da Bears - they made it to the Playoffs.They were rolling with Nick Foles.
— Indy - Rivers & now that draft pick behind Goff
Detroit - Goff ?

—LA - that other team

Does Denver even have a QB & that long hair RB is gone & the Chargers Gordon is there.

I could probably go on.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Well, let’s see...

1. Replace/upgrade Jared Goff.

Blockbuster trade was executed bringing in a elite QB in Stafford. Now McVay’s playbook can be fully opened once again. Check.

2. Get a speed deep threat WR for Stafford.

Signed DeSean Jackson on an affordable 1 year rental contract with incentives. Check.

3. Upgrade Center.

Allowed the relatively mediocre Blythe to walk with scarcely any effort to retain him. No FA’s signed, either. Apparently intending to start a player already on the roster at OC this season. Might draft an OC high but probably wouldn’t start him this year, anyway. Result here is still tbd.

4. Maintain a strong Edge presence.

Extended Floyd which definitely solves that problem on one side. Big Check.

5. Keep DW as a starter in ‘21.

Tendered DW with a 1st round offer. Check.

So far I'm very pleased with the moves the Rams have made. Stafford is a big deal I didn't think possible but, was done at lightning speed. Really wanted to keep Floyd and surprised they were able to. Jackson another move I thought would be good for the offense. If healthy and ready for the playoffs...it's a WOW move!

They still work to be done.

OC question as well as ILBer.

With the dead cap money limiting re-signings the depth could be questionable. They do have young players waiting to prove themselves. Hoecht and Willams on the D Line. Others at Lber.

Overall with the cap situation they did very good.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I'd love for them to sign guys like Maurice Hurst and Arden Key: still young and cheap players who can provide depth.

Hurst would be a good pick up. I thought we might claim him off waivers as he is close to not, if not playing at, the vet minimum

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hurst would be a good pick up. I thought we might claim him off waivers as he is close to not, if not playing at, the vet minimum

Hurst and Key would at least provide pass-rushing depth, which is why I'm hoping for both on the vet minimum. If they make it, we get better; if not, there's no loss.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I’m excited about this draft. Damn a 1st round pick! We are one draft pick trade away from being set in my opinion. We always seem to find a couple of UDFAs that produce too. They’ll be a couple of veteran cuts that fill our needs also. Bank on it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’m excited about this draft. Damn a 1st round pick! We are one draft pick trade away from being set in my opinion. We always seem to find a couple of UDFAs that produce too. They’ll be a couple of veteran cuts that fill our needs also. Bank on it.

Who ? Brian Allen ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3. Upgrade Center.
Of course it remains to be seen if the Rams have this on the to-do list. Certainly seems like they're comfortable with what they have in house. Change in coordinator and no change in personnel (addition of that is) seems like the scheme may have been more of the interpreted issue as opposed to the players

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Of course it remains to be seen if the Rams have this on the to-do list. Certainly seems like they're comfortable with what they have in house. Change in coordinator and no change in personnel (addition of that is) seems like the scheme may have been more of the interpreted issue as opposed to the players
You're forgetting they changed the most important position on the field at QB. Also they correctly let Blythe's sorry ass leave which is addition by subtraction lol.

But I of course agree with your premise they like someone in house.

I also am of the mind that they are not averse to a rook winning that job in spite of what Snead said. IMO the previous need for a center who can make good calls on his own is gone due to the QB change. That took a lot of the pressure off IMO and they know this draft has a ton of options.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not think that center is at the top of this team's concerns going into this draft this week.I have full faith in this Rams Organization in reference to the operational plan involving performance improvement on two pure centers since 2019.

I believe this Ram Organization has a fully complete understanding of the readiness of Coleman Shelton & Brian Allen (both entering their 4th seasons) are at in going into the 2021 draft.

I would also include Doctor Austin Corbett & his versatility who is now experienced enough to be considered a starter @ OC since he has been a starter @ LG & RG for the last two seasons & assisting with line call with Blythe.

It might come down to which interior OL'er that Stafford feels most comfortable with at the conclusion of TC.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So far I'm very pleased with the moves the Rams have made. Stafford is a big deal I didn't think possible but, was done at lightning speed. Really wanted to keep Floyd and surprised they were able to. Jackson another move I thought would be good for the offense. If healthy and ready for the playoffs...it's a WOW move!

They still work to be done.

OC question as well as ILBer.

With the dead cap money limiting re-signings the depth could be questionable. They do have young players waiting to prove themselves. Hoecht and Willams on the D Line. Others at Lber.

Overall with the cap situation they did very good.
The front Seven:

Very good chance the Ram defense will field much more DL'ers than LB'ers with DC Morris. You add in the return to health of former starting Strong Safety Taylor Rapp into the mix @ ILB'er & the number of actual ILB'ers might drop significantly. Rams will have all six of their ILB'ers returning in 2021 with healthy starters too, so I see nothing @ ILB'er that concerns me.

The biggest issue is @ OLB position, Rams have one post well covered as a starter (Floyd) the other side is jammed full with MASH medical unit projects Lewis/ Okoronkwo/ Lawler! Now that's a real problem.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're forgetting they changed the most important position on the field at QB.
That is upgrading the center position? Man, some people just cant have a conversation without talking QB

Also they correctly let Blythe's sorry ass leave which is addition by subtraction lol.
Yes, I said that,
no change in personnel (addition of that is)
Point is that fans all want a change at center when the team appears pretty much ok with what they have

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Upgrading OC and replacing Blythe with a player already on the roster are not mutually exclusive statements, dieter.

Apparently, Rams feel that one of Shelton, Allen, Anchrum, or Corbett WOULD be an upgrade over Blythe.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Point is that fans all want a change at center when the team appears pretty much ok with what they have
They definitely like someone on that depth chart. I'm still amazed by that too.

Generally just looking at previous years the Rams have been right about some of these guys (Whit was a brilliant move that I didn't particularly like when they made it, also Corbs worked out way better than I anticipated) but also wrong about a bunch of them (Boom is a JAG and had zero business starting in front of Edwards and the board was correct about that and some other stuff like Demby, or Hav being tried at RG, and so on). So the Rams have not been consistently proving us wrong when it comes to the OL.

Going back and looking at Allen I think his biggest problem was the line calls. I don't think he was ready and we felt that when Blythe came in and did a much better job tying those guys together. But that QB does factor in here too, with this conversation. Goff needed a good line call from his center. I feel like maybe the guy who benefits the most from Stafford coming in here is Allen, who will have someone overlooking and helping his calls. So even though most of the board would be traumatized by Allen being the guy they're high on, I think it's possible they see him as at the very least a stop-gap starter.

And Shelton is interesting too. Like with Allen I'm not particularly impressed with Shelton but if they draft say Radunz in round 2 as our LT of the future (which would be a windfall for us IMO) and stick him at LG it allows for Edwards to move RG and IMO things look a ton better and with OG play that may be good enough to protect a marginal center. It could also be a guy like Meinerz or Green too who they start out at OG with the same effect. Or of course Corbs being moved to the pivot too.

Lastly the fan inside me with his rose colored glasses and two-beer gameday hardhat is hoping that Anchrum is in play. The guy is smart and has said he can play all OL positions. Once again with the QB change maybe that removes enough of the line call pressure to where they can upgrade. I think it all ties together. And IMO that is the difference in their almost casual dismissal of center so far in FA.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
They definitely like someone on that depth chart. I'm still amazed by that too.

Generally just looking at previous years the Rams have been right about some of these guys (Whit was a brilliant move that I didn't particularly like when they made it, also Corbs worked out way better than I anticipated) but also wrong about a bunch of them (Boom is a JAG and had zero business starting in front of Edwards and the board was correct about that and some other stuff like Demby, or Hav being tried at RG, and so on). So the Rams have not been consistently proving us wrong when it comes to the OL.

Going back and looking at Allen I think his biggest problem was the line calls. I don't think he was ready and we felt that when Blythe came in and did a much better job tying those guys together. But that QB does factor in here too, with this conversation. Goff needed a good line call from his center. I feel like maybe the guy who benefits the most from Stafford coming in here is Allen, who will have someone overlooking and helping his calls. So even though most of the board would be traumatized by Allen being the guy they're high on, I think it's possible they see him as at the very least a stop-gap starter.

And Shelton is interesting too. Like with Allen I'm not particularly impressed with Shelton but if they draft say Radunz in round 2 as our LT of the future (which would be a windfall for us IMO) and stick him at LG it allows for Edwards to move RG and IMO things look a ton better and with OG play that may be good enough to protect a marginal center. It could also be a guy like Meinerz or Green too who they start out at OG with the same effect. Or of course Corbs being moved to the pivot too.

Lastly the fan inside me with his rose colored glasses and two-beer gameday hardhat is hoping that Anchrum is in play. The guy is smart and has said he can play all OL positions. Once again with the QB change maybe that removes enough of the line call pressure to where they can upgrade. I think it all ties together. And IMO that is the difference in their almost casual dismissal of center so far in FA.

I'm holding out for Anchrum at center, however many new offensive line coaches it may take.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Upgrading OC and replacing Blythe with a player already on the roster are not mutually exclusive statements, dieter.

Apparently, Rams feel that one of Shelton, Allen, Anchrum, or Corbett WOULD be an upgrade over Blythe.
Kind of a circular statement here.
If Blythe is replaced "in house", that's a serious stretch to call it "an upgrade"
The examples listed 1-3 required bringing in new players
Center apparently didnt belong on the list

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That is upgrading the center position? Man, some people just cant have a conversation without talking QB

Yes, I said that,

I’m all for Best player on the available on the board.The offensive line is tricky.Blythe is what he is.Three 1 year deals after starting at RG in The SuperBowl.He got moved back to Center eventually. Last season I thought he played alright.He started all 16 games.
If Austin Blythe was that bad then why did he start over 50 games in 3 years ? He was always just a solid backup swing C/G.
You can Kiss Austin AZZ goodbye all you want.Just make it a WET one.He overachieved for the Salary he got.
—Sean Mcvay I not allowed to post bad about,so I’ll go with BLUE FONT.
He was a GENUIS in 2019 starting Austin Blythe at RG after The SuperBowl & cutting John Sullivan
while McSnead used a 3rd pick on Brian Allen.Starting him at Center & not having him play a down in the preseason??? If I recall right.
I appreciate Austin Blythe as a Ram.Just thought he got exposed in The Super Bowl.The FLAG called against JS was BULLSHiT & the reason the Cheaters won.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My wish list would be Landon Dickerson. Dude is the best Center I think I have seen as far a blowing people up.His size would plug & open up Big Holes.He gets nasty & Havenstien & Noteboom would add another advantage.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I think this offseason has likely gone according to plans with the exception of the Brockers trade. I suspect that the plan there was to restructure, and Brockers forced the team’s hand by refusing.

I also expect that the Rams will bring in some vets on 1 year deals after the draft.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One other thing worth noting - Darius Williams and Corey Littleton are recent examples of internal replacements that were upgrades.

Fans often think that because a player didn't get as much playing time or couldn't beat someone out that it says something about their future, but Williams and Littleton, SJD too - are examples of where these guys actually exceeded the player who played their position the prior year.

It's very possible that Allen/Shelton/Corbett is an upgrade over Blythe. Also possible that Long is an upgrade over Hill.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One other thing worth noting - Darius Williams and Corey Littleton are recent examples of internal replacements that were upgrades.

Fans often think that because a player didn't get as much playing time or couldn't beat someone out that it says something about their future, but Williams and Littleton, SJD too - are examples of where these guys actually exceeded the player who played their position the prior year.

It's very possible that Allen/Shelton/Corbett is an upgrade over Blythe. Also possible that Long is an upgrade over Hill.
Well... We knew Williams could play during the end of the 2019 season when he was ballin his ass off. He was doing exactly what he did the next season in fact. There's post after post on this site about him during that time window. Littleton also flashed in sub opportunities before he got his starting gig if memory serves, not to mention looking good in preseason.

The problem with the centers is that none of them have shown us much on the field. That's not to say that none of these guys can solve the position for us, especially in a short-term role for just this season. But recent history the Rams haven't exactly been batting a thousand with their OL choices. So not only is that why we have a new OL coach but it's also why there's a lot of room to wonder if they might end up with a problem at center yet again. Of the possibilities only Corbett is a guy who has played well in any sort of role for more than a very small sample size.

Also... Fans often think crazy shit I agree. But fans are also right sometimes about things because we judge these guys on their play on the field not the myriad other things that coaches get distracted with. I don't recall one fan thinking Demby should have gotten as much opportunity as the coaching gave him for example. That all came from him sucking up to his OL coach IMO. There's plenty of examples like that just with the OL. Boom starting over Edwards which was a joke and the fans knew it immediately how did the team miss that shit. Blythe being a guy with real and significant weaknesses that showed over and over on film yet somehow the team thought he was an answer for way longer than they should have. And so on.

I'll bet right now in fact that if we draft a good center prospect he'll get a chance to win that starting role in spite of all the smoke Snead blew out there surrounding rookie centers. Why am I so sure about that? Because the other options suck. Creed Humphries for example is not a perfect prospect by any means but it's hard to see any of these guys besides maybe Corbett beating him out. I think if we take him he will start as a rook and barring injury he's not the only one.