Siciliano: Nick Foles Will Shine with the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Foles IS a system QB..and when that great system began to become unraveled, Foles showed that he would turn over the ball at an alarming rate....In fact I always wondered why people quote his winning percentage, like this is the end all be all? A QB can be VERY good, and on a terrible team. Foles is average...at best..His only redeeming quality is his ability to throw the deep ball, everything else he does can be imitated by the most average QB's...I doubt this guy is better than Davis......

I disagree, he's far better than Davis and is a much better athlete then people think. He can extend the play and Bradford, well, we don't what he is because he has not been on the field for two years.

Once Bradford refused to take a pay-cut that just underscored that he was not sure he would get another contract IMHO. Bradford almost quit and coming back from knee injury on the same knee? Well, let's just communicate he would be the first to do it.

As to winning percentage, well, it's a stat. IMO Foles is a winner, he gets better when the chips are down and regardless the Rams had to make the deal and I'm confident after next year you'll be donning a number 5 jersey and won't have Brock printed on the back of it!

Last edited:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Maybe Nick Foles is gonna end up being our Marshall Faulk. Meaning this guy could be just what we need since it's a qb driven league, opposed to how the NFL was in 99'. Who's ready for year of the RAM!? ;)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@den-the-coach & @A.J. Hicks
I see a bunch of guys are forgetting why we even drafted a QB #1...overall....This IS a QB driven league...Due to the rules enforced at this time, it's an offensive game...Foles IS a system QB..and when that great system began to become unraveled, Foles showed that he would turn over the ball at an alarming rate....In fact I always wondered why people quote his winning percentage, like this is the end all be all? A QB can be VERY good, and on a terrible team. Foles is average...at best..His only redeeming quality is his ability to throw the deep ball, everything else he does can be imitated by the most average QB's...I doubt this guy is better than Davis....That Philly team was LOADED with talent...esp. offensive talent. He really is not in the same league with Bradford as far as talent is concerned......to trade an injury prone QB for another INJURY PRONE QB, strikes me as desperation...My only hope is that Snisher drafts his way outta this...Hundley in the second...at least get a Pac-12 QB that can really play...not a system anything....

Foles may very well be average. However, he was the best QB actually available to the Rams, and this draft is short of QBs who will help in the next year or two - except maybe at the very top. Keep in mind that the Rams didn't trade a long term asset for Foles. They traded a QB that is more injury prone than Foles and that I personally have no faith in staying healthy anymore - as talented as Sam is, he is no use on the sidelines. Trading him also opened up a ton of cap room, AND allowed the Rams to move up from the 5th to the 4th this year, and get a 2nd next year - while getting a QB that IS better than Davis, who throws fewer picks than Davis and throws a better deep ball. Foles isn't perfect - but guess what? No QB the Rams could get for one year of injured Sam Bradford is close to perfect. Foles was the best option available, and getting him allowed the Rams to sign several players and pick up better draft position.

Not a perfect trade - but one likely to help the Rams in 2015 and in years beyond.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Foles is great for two reasons.

We don't have to reach or mortgage the future on moving up for average QBs in the draft.

With our offensive line so far, it's actually good we don't have a big long term contract at QB. Kind of like not buying the new carpet until the dog is gone. If Bradford's stay taught us anything it's don't spend resources to get the QB if you can't protect him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
he was the best QB actually available to the Rams, and this draft is short of QBs who will help in the next year or two - except maybe at the very top. Keep in mind that the Rams didn't trade a long term asset for Foles.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, stats do not explain why their passer ratings are so different....but look at them closely
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviAu00.htm

especially the 2014 season...8 games apiece, and yet with more talent, the main difference is win totals...Davis less int's....again, put one of the least mobile QB's in the league behind our line, without a quick release, quick routes, quick players they could be in trouble...yeah, Brian Quick can help

oops, almost forgot, trading Bradford was trading an asset, it was a long-term investment. Everyone knows sometimes you have to wait those out

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford's a free agent after this season - one extremely risky to resign, given his history. Not much of an asset.

And while Davis started off fast, he soon played horribly the rest of the way. And whenever he HAD to throw, he showed a tendency of throwing pick 6s. There are reasons that the Rams had the lesser record, despite having a better defense - point in fact, once Donald became a starter one of the best defenses in the league.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
He will shine like a beacon in the dark.

th

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Perhaps I'm mistaken, stats do not explain why their passer ratings are so different....but look at them closely
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviAu00.htmbe

especially the 2014 season...8 games apiece, and yet with more talent, the main difference is win totals...Davis less int's....again, put one of the least mobile QB's in the league behind our line, without a quick release, quick routes, quick players they could be in trouble...yeah, Brian Quick can help

oops, almost forgot, trading Bradford was trading an asset, it was a long-term investment. Everyone knows sometimes you have to wait those out

I can't disagree Foles has question marks. But he won't be asked to do near as much in the Rams system. The Rams want to be a power run team fueled by defense and field position. He won't have to try and do more than he should. For all we know, this system could be the best fit for his talents. He does have a stronger arm than Davis or Hill has. So the deep ball will be a threat. With Britt, Austin and a healthy Quick defenses will have to respect that. At least that is the plan. The line has to open holes for Mason in order for that to work.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Don't forget that the Eagles 'talent' you keep mentioning was pretty poor last year (2014). Shady had a terrible season running behind a very injured offensive line. Many of those skill players were turning the ball over with fumbles as well. May be a chink in that Chip Kelly high speed offense.

Foles should have had more interceptions thrown in 2013 - he got lucky on a lot. There will be times he is very frustrating to watch. No doubt in my mind that he'll throw an untimely interception or two. He'll also show us some amazing throws here and there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
. But he won't be asked to do near as much in the Rams system.
It's been said Chip runs one of the simplest offenses in football...Half field reads, basic terminology....that's how they play fast...so, I don't know how much Cig plans on simplifying Shotty's offense...but we'll see...it's still a west-coast based offense.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It's been said Chip runs one of the simplest offenses in football...Half field reads, basic terminology....that's how they play fast...so, I don't know how much Cig plans on simplifying Shotty's offense...but we'll see...it's still a west-coast based offense.

If it were that easy I would think other teams would copy it. Especially teams with less talent at QB. I have a feeling Fisher wants his QB to be more of a game manager. That is what I mean by not being asked to do as much.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If it were that easy I would think other teams would copy it.
Still hasn't proven itself...much like the read option, if Chips offense wins a super bowl, then you'd see a bunch of guys doing variations of spread/hurry-up offenses. I personally think Chip will be out of the pros in 2 years...especially after what happens in 2015...dude has lost his mind.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
@den-the-coach & @A.J. Hicks
Foles is average...at best..His only redeeming quality is his ability to throw the deep ball, everything else he does can be imitated by the most average QB's...I doubt this guy is better than Davis....

Dude come on really? You can't honestly be saying Foles in even in the neighborhood as Austin 'Pick 6' Davis!
Bradford sucks, Foles will lead us to the promised land in the Lou or in LA!!

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
There is a sadder breed
The Ram and Bengal fan....

I'll be damned.

Cincinnati is the closest team I live to. They are frustrating at times but that AJ Green is awesome. Seems like he's all by himself behind the defense quite a bit.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'll be damned.

Cincinnati is the closest team I live to. They are frustrating at times but that AJ Green is awesome. Seems like he's all by himself behind the defense quite a bit.
Marvin Jones, M. Sanu, Tyler Effiert, 2 great RB's...you serious?