Should the Rams draft a CB in the 1st next spring?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No that would be Barron or McDonald who would cover those guys. Heck Barron has been pretty good at shutting down TE so far in his career. I want him to be more like OJ was for us. Patrolling the back field to make plays on the ball

Atogwe had far better hands to make plays on the ball.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If there is one weakness in our secondary, it's the fact that all of our safeties are differing versions of the same guy. There is no one I'd bank on to go head to head with a quality WR deep down the field play after play. So I'd definitely draft a Safety like Atogwe in the 1st if he's a good value for the pick. Probably not a CB unless he was too good to ignore. Like Aaron Rodgers in the later 1st round type of too good.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
After Aaron Donald fell to the Rams, I'm pro getting the best player available, regardless of position. Donald is an example of a guy being available that is leaps and bounds better than everyone else available. I doubt that happens with a Corner... but you never know.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If there is one weakness in our secondary, it's the fact that all of our safeties are differing versions of the same guy. There is no one I'd bank on to go head to head with a quality WR deep down the field play after play. So I'd definitely draft a Safety like Atogwe in the 1st if he's a good value for the pick. Probably not a CB unless he was too good to ignore. Like Aaron Rodgers in the later 1st round type of too good.
I would agree with you, but I think that's how they want it. I think it just fits their scheme more. Although with the way they use McLeod as our free safety, you'd think they might want a go to guy, especially on single high.

I would still draft a linebacker at some point. With the way our safeties fit in a 4-2-5 it's not a need for system, but rather for depth. I was never more nervous when the season started than when JL was injured.

Missing our starting QB? Been there done that, but this team needs their defense.

Our greatest need is offensive line, at just about everywhere. If we can get another swing tackle/guard, great! And if we can draft a top center ... wow. But there will be veteran depth on the o-line as well, whether from within our outside the organization.

I can't say that we wouldn't draft a corner, but like WR it's just not a high need for us right now. We have so much depth now in the secondary it's unreal.

In the end, I would love it if they drafted with the same mentality as this year, filling holes with inexpensive free agents and taking the BPA as fits the system.

I know everyone wants a quarterback, but I don't want them to just spend a pick on one to say they did. I want them to get their guy, and past that I don't care when or if he's a draft pick or how long it takes him to develop.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just can't see the Rams going CB with our O-Line and LB needs!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Hoyer is atrocious. That sounds miserable. Give me Bradford with his injury risk over Hoyer.

Unless that CB could be an elite FS or has no business being there when we pick...no. Why on earth would we?
I heard a Browns fan on XM yesterday saying in a game where Hoyer was intercepted at least twice that there were 7 other ints the DB's dropped .
I hate that QB's get called for int's on balls that a rec. muffs and turn into on , but being equitable the dropped int. needs to show up somewhere in evaluation. I agree Just Say NO to Hoyer, the Brown have won in spite of how really bad he can be,OH and NO to a CB,I'd be good with trading down a little to get a guard ,providing Barks re signs and we don't have a sure fire QB fall to us not named Winston , IMO all those int's he threw against Florida made me doubt that even if he wasn't a knuckle head I'd want him .
If you throw 4 ints. against a college defense ( Gators are out of the top ten in defense) then there is virtually no limit Imo you can throw in the pros.

Last edited:

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
If a CB is the best available player when it comes the Rams turn to draft, then I am all for it. CB is one of the most difficult positions to fill and also one of the most susceptible to injury. Rams have already had several corners miss time due to injury. The NFL is a pass happy league and with the continuing evolution of the mobile QB, speed on defense is coveted. Nothing makes a DL better than a secondary that can sustain coverage. Give our DL an extra second and they can reek havoc!

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Unless the guy is the next deon sanders or one of our cbs suffers a big injury like an acl it would be criminal to draft a cb with our 1st rounder when we need OL and Lb help... not to mention a qb. Dont let what u read on the Internet influence your better judement,, lol.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I'd draft a punter in the 1st round before I picked a CB

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see a Rams team that might be the makings of the rising of a big strong wave pushing into the NFL elite territories. Where I see this team only lacking two fully operational units #1-a upright unmolested healthy QB & #2-a decent OL in 2015. The secondary has the most talent, youngest & well endowed with promise! Heck we may see a lot 4-0-7 defense;) due to our DC having issues getting all that talent on the field this Sunday.

Rams taking a BPA CB may make the draft geeks all peeing their shorts :banana:& very happy but it would do very little to improve this teams most concerning unit the OL :palm:. IMO it sure cause a wipeout washout of that rising wave. What a shame but it will make the BPA's Draft members throw a party:cheers:.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm all for the Rams going BPA with the first pick. I don't think DBs are a need but I want to see elite talent in any position possible.

I think it is very interesting that going into the season, aside from QB, our defensive backfield was most fans biggest concern. Looks like that unit is coming together to play some pretty damn good ball.

I would like to see us address the QB position in some way very early on. I think there are a few QBs that can be pretty special with a year or so behind a vet. I'm really hoping Bradford is that vet and the QB we draft has to back up for several seasons before getting his break. I honestly don't see a QB in this draft that I would like to see start his rookie campaign. I think Winston needs a reality check and would be much better served by having to carry some pads and a clipboard for a while. I think Mariota will be potentially great if he's not fed to the lions on a bad team or system. Hundley will likely go to a team that isn't in dire need of a QB to start day one. I still like Mannion as a pocket QB that can make all the throws. Yeah he may wind up at times but he has shown that he doesn't have to if a quick pass is needed. Still - he needs to sit and watch for a year at least.

I see our biggest NEED as a QB and maybe tied with OL. We are just some solid blocking away from the playoffs and a GOOD QB and solid blocking away from the Superbowl.

Athos

Legend
Fuck no. We basically drafted 2nd round talent imo, in Gaines, in the 6th round.

So many other directions to go other than CB.

Walter is a dingleberry.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard a Browns fan on XM yesterday saying in a game where Hoyer was intercepted at least twice that there were 7 other ints the DB's dropped .
I hate that QB's get called for int's on balls that a rec. muffs and turn into on , but being equitable the dropped int. needs to show up somewhere in evaluation. I agree Just Say NO to Hoyer, the Brown have won in spite of how really bad he can be,OH and NO to a CB,I'd be good with trading down a little to get a guard ,providing Barks re signs and we don't have a sure fire QB fall to us not named Winston , IMO all those int's he threw against Florida made me doubt that even if he wasn't a knuckle head I'd want him .
If you throw 4 ints. against a college defense ( Gators are out of the top ten in defense) then there is virtually no limit Imo you can throw in the pros.

Florida's defense is one of the best in the NCAA. They are top 5 in yards per game allowed, have multiple first round picks, and are only outside the top 10 in PPG Allowed because their offense and special teams, like the Rams, love giving up TDs and turning the ball over.

Plus, Drew Brees threw 4 INTs against Ohio State as a Senior. I'd say he's done pretty well in the NFL. ;)

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Florida's defense is one of the best in the NCAA. They are top 5 in yards per game allowed, have multiple first round picks, and are only outside the top 10 in PPG Allowed because their offense and special teams, like the Rams, love giving up TDs and turning the ball over.

Plus, Drew Brees threw 4 INTs against Ohio State as a Senior. I'd say he's done pretty well in the NFL. ;)
Yeah but he was playing Ohio State FOR Purdue ,not for FS against a team Mizzou embarrassed in their house BTW.
But I knew when I posted it you'd bust my chops :ROFLMAO:
So ya think Mizzou has a prayer in the SEC Championship?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but he was playing Ohio State FOR Purdue ,not for FS against a team Mizzou embarrassed in their house BTW.
But I knew when I posted it you'd bust my chops :ROFLMAO:
So ya think Mizzou has a prayer in the SEC Championship?

Personally? No.

Mizzou had 119 yards of offense(20 yards passing) against UF but scored 2 special teams TDs and 2 defensive TDs.

UF's defense wasn't the issue in that game.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Personally? No.

Mizzou had 119 yards of offense(20 yards passing) against UF but scored 2 special teams TDs and 2 defensive TDs.

UF's defense wasn't the issue in that game.
After laying that egg against GA Pinkel told his kids I want a perfectly balanced game 14 point on offense 14 points on defense ,14 points on special teams and I want all three phases to outscore them ,which they did, whatever it takes :cool:

But yeah , Bama is gonna have to slip for the Tiggers to beat them, but the payday for the program will be good and we'll get a better bowl game besides . I never dreamed when we got in the SEC we'd get to the championship back to back like this ,I thought we'd be struggling.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
No.

I'd spend a 1st on QB, WR, OL, DL, and S before I'd give CB a look. There should be plenty of talent at those positions when its our turn to pick.