Should the Rams draft a CB in the 1st next spring?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RobertWinn

UDFA
Name
David
Read a mock today that had has drafting a CB in the 1st. I thought it was interesting, and hadn't considered it much. After thinking it through, I like it. With how we have been playing we are out of range to draft one of the QB's, and I wouldn't want to reach for one with some of our other holes. Draft a CB or S in the 1st and a WR in the 2nd and sign a guy like Hoyer as a one year gap.

Here's the link: http://walterfootball.com/draft2015.php

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Walterfootball is more out of touch each year.

The Rams would only draft a corner if he was clearly BPA and the guy is clearly better than what they have, and they can't trade back and there is Nobody else they want.

Overall it isn't likely.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Few realize Walter is the one on the left. Just sayin'

jjab360

Legend
Rams have 4 really talented, young, developing CBs right now in Gaines, Jenkins, Johnson, and Joyner, we would already have a tough time finding PT for all of them if they were all healthy right now. Also with the way we've been using our safeties, Barron has been seeing a lot of time at CB as well and doing a really good job at it.

It just doesn't seem like we'd have any use for another corner right now, it'd have to be a heck of a talent to make me think otherwise.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would put CB as the Rams' absolute last need. Of all positions to include the DL positions. That's how set the Rams are right now at the position.

So, my answer is NO. If the BPA is a CB, trade down. Or trade up. Whatever.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Read a mock today that had has drafting a CB in the 1st. I thought it was interesting, and hadn't considered it much. After thinking it through, I like it. With how we have been playing we are out of range to draft one of the QB's, and I wouldn't want to reach for one with some of our other holes. Draft a CB or S in the 1st and a WR in the 2nd and sign a guy like Hoyer as a one year gap.

Here's the link: http://walterfootball.com/draft2015.php

Hoyer is atrocious. That sounds miserable. Give me Bradford with his injury risk over Hoyer.

Unless that CB could be an elite FS or has no business being there when we pick...no. Why on earth would we?

RobertWinn

UDFA
Name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys must be higher on Trumaine Johnson than me. And I see Joyner as a nickel guy. I think adding to the secondary is important and I guess adding a safety would be better. Personally I hate Hundley and everyone else we could pick at QB is a developmental guy.

Alan

Legend
RobertWinn with this head scratcher:
With how we have been playing we are out of range to draft one of the QB's, and I wouldn't want to reach for one with some of our other holes. Draft a CB or S in the 1st and a WR in the 2nd and sign a guy like Hoyer as a one year gap
Over and above the fact that I think trying to add resources to two areas of our team that need it the least, WR and CB, exactly why would it be a reach to take a OG, C or OT in the first round? How is that any more of a reach than drafting a S or a CB? CBs and Ss aren't a reach in the first round but O-linemen are? What's your reasoning for thinking/saying that?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
The Rams could use a CB for depth reasons, but with Jenkins, Tru, and Gaines I think we're pretty set.

I wouldn't mind the Rams drafting a nickle CB and moving Joyner to FS where he'd be a force

But our defense only really needs a true FS type and a LB (either OLB or MLB and moving JL to OLB)

We should use the top picks on offense (interior OL and WR)

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I say no not in the 1st round unless its a absolute steal something similar to the A.Donald situation and pick.Our 1st pick should be QB or Oline but we're good a Cb for now and we have more pressing needs.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Hmmm not sure if its a huge need (and therefore a waste of a Round 1 pick) I'd probably be more inclined to take La'el Collins OT/OG - unglamorous but a need for the Rams...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
You guys must be higher on Trumaine Johnson than me. And I see Joyner as a nickel guy. I think adding to the secondary is important and I guess adding a safety would be better. Personally I hate Hundley and everyone else we could pick at QB is a developmental guy.

I don't see how a person could watch what Johnson has done over the last two seasons at his age and not be high on him. But I agree with you that the QBs in the draft this year aren't much to get excited about. Personally I think that finding a OG and a C are the most important.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hoyer is atrocious. That sounds miserable. Give me Bradford with his injury risk over Hoyer.

Unless that CB could be an elite FS or has no business being there when we pick...no. Why on earth would we?

I agree offensive line build that up so Bradford only has to throw 10 times a game then he should be fine.;)

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
You mean moving the midget to guard 6'4 + tightends? No thank you.... He's a good nickel CB .
No that would be Barron or McDonald who would cover those guys. Heck Barron has been pretty good at shutting down TE so far in his career. I want him to be more like OJ was for us. Patrolling the back field to make plays on the ball

Memphis Ram

Legend
If the team feels that the best player available in round one next year is a CB, then the Rams should select at CB. It's really as simple at that.

Next year's draft class isn't just about next year's season. Besides, both Johnson and Jenkins are free agents after next season and Joyner is a major question mark at the position being limited at best to being a slot corner only due to his size.