Sammy Watkins - Rams Top Choice?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
scifiman in tune with me:
I like your thinking on this. Mathews is my top pick on my board. The bloodlines alone say this guy will play for you for 15 years and be one of the best. He is a better pass blocker than Robinson and it is a passing league. If we can at 13 get any of those guys I would be happy. I actually prefer Gilbert for all the things he can do.
While those are the guys I would prefer, as long as we get an OT, FS and CB with our first three picks, in any order, I'll be happy. I go back and forth on whether I think FS or CB is our biggest need. I think FS is our biggest structural need but we have no one to cover their slot receivers now that Finn is gone. Tough choice. Gilbert would be nice. So would Dennard.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While those are the guys I would prefer, as long as we get an OT, FS and CB with our first three picks, in any order, I'll be happy. I go back and forth on whether I think FS or CB is our biggest need. I think FS is our biggest structural need but we have no one to cover their slot receivers now that Finn is gone. Tough choice. Gilbert would be nice. So would Dennard.

(n)

Alan

Legend
When I said in any order, that's true but the OT has to be one of the top 5.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I said in any order, that's true but the OT has to be one of the top 5.

I don't like painting yourself into a corner by saying, "I HAVE to get this, this, and this with my first 3 picks" because what happens if you take Matthews and then there are no CBs or FS available at #13 that are worth the pick...do you go away from you board and reach? That's when major mistakes are made.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with a good point:
I don't like painting yourself into a corner by saying, "I HAVE to get this, this, and this with my first 3 picks" because what happens if you take Matthews and then there are no CBs or FS available at #13 that are worth the pick...do you go away from you board and reach? That's when major mistakes are made.
I'd agree with that if I hadn't already evaluated the draft. I am unable to come up with any scenario where Dennard, Gilbert, Ha-Ha and Pryor are all gone when we're on the clock at #13. In that highly unlikely event, I'm not going to reach for someone. I'm of the opinion that we can get one pf those 4 even if we trade down a little with that pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd agree with that if I hadn't already evaluated the draft. I am unable to come up with any scenario where Dennard, Gilbert, Ha-Ha and Pryor are all gone when we're on the clock at #13. In that highly unlikely event, I'm not going to reach for someone. I'm of the opinion that we can get one pf those 4 even if we trade down a little with that pick.

That's where our opinions diverge. I'd be unhappy with three of those four at #13. And the fourth only works for me if we plan to run a certain defensive scheme.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 mischaracterizing my strategy:
That's where our opinions diverge. I'd be unhappy with three of those four at #13. And the fourth only works for me if we plan to run a certain defensive scheme.
Unhappy with those 4 players over someone else or just unhappy with them? In either case, my drafting strategy that you don't like is fine as long as there will be, in your opinion, players you like available at #13 that you don't think are reaches. I don't think it's my strategy you don't like, I think it's the players I want that you don't like.

In any case, I'm in no way painting myself into a corner because I have plenty of options that I like that will be available. None of which would be a reach IMO. I call it having an overall plan. Without knowing the details of what you want to achieve out of this draft, I'd say that you don't seem to have an overall plan and seem to want to pick BPA regardless of need. That might work but it's not a strategy I would use with a team that is close to being a contender if not for having some major holes holding it back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unhappy with those 4 players over someone else or just unhappy with them? In either case, my drafting strategy that you don't like is fine as long as there will be, in your opinion, players you like available at #13 that you don't think are reaches. I don't think it's my strategy you don't like, I think it's the players I want that you don't like.

Unhappy with them at #13. Don't rate them that highly.

I'd say it's a bit of both...although I'm sure the players heavily influence the strategy...so the probably the players since they're likely the cause.

In any case, I'm in no way painting myself into a corner because I have plenty of options that I like that will be available. None of which would be a reach IMO. I call it having an overall plan. Without knowing the details of what you want to achieve out of this draft, I'd say that you don't seem to have an overall plan and seem to want to pick BPA regardless of need. That might work but it's not a strategy I would use with a team that is close to being a contender if not for having some major holes holding it back.

I have a "plan". It's my board. I work from that. You give me the pick number, the players available, and any trade options(if there are any)...and I can tell you exactly what I do in that situation. You change the parameters of that situation, I can immediately tell you what I'd do with the different parameters. It's definitely planned. It's why I spend so much time on this type of stuff...so I know exactly who/what I want come draft day.

I just don't prefer to specify what positions I am going to address where. I let the draft dictate that because you can't control who other teams pick.

And I definitely don't ignore need. I just don't let it dictate where I pick players. It's something I take into account when making my "board".

Alan

Legend
jrry32 thinking he has a plan:
Unhappy with them at #13. Don't rate them that highly.

I'd say it's a bit of both...although I'm sure the players heavily influence the strategy...so the probably the players since they're likely the cause.

I have a "plan". It's my board. I work from that. You give me the pick number, the players available, and any trade options(if there are any)...and I can tell you exactly what I do in that situation. You change the parameters of that situation, I can immediately tell you what I'd do with the different parameters. It's definitely planned. It's why I spend so much time on this type of stuff...so I know exactly who/what I want come draft day.

I just don't prefer to specify what positions I am going to address where. I let the draft dictate that because you can't control who other teams pick.

And I definitely don't ignore need. I just don't let it dictate where I pick players. It's something I take into account when making my "board".
Good morning jrry.

I wouldn't call that an overall plan. Like I surmised, you're just reacting to each situation by following the evaluations of the players you used when making your board. That's BPA regardless of need. While that's totally flexible, because by definition there is always a BPA available, it can lead you to not filling any of your holes. You say you don't ignore need but I don't see how that could work in real life without cheating. If you don't let it "dictate" your picks then you could easily wind up with some great players but just as many holes comong out of the draft as you had going in. Possibly you just have a really loose definition of "dictate" that approximates my "influences".

That's where we fundamentally differ in the way we'd draft. I prefer a mixture of BPA and need with an overall flexible plan in mind.

Last edited: