Sammy Watkins - Rams Top Choice?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
With no trade #2:
1. Matthews
2. Robinson
3. Ha-Ha
4. Watkins
5. Evans
With a trade down to 4-6 at 4-6:
1. Matthews
2. Robinson
3. Watkins
4. Evans
5. Donald
With a trade down to 8-10 at 8-10:
1. Matthews
2. Robinson
3. Lewan
4. Evans
5. Donald
If we are able to draft Matthews, Robinson or Lewan with our first pick and we don't trade down at #13:
1. Ha-Ha
2. Gilbert
3. Pryor
4. Dennard
5. Donald
If we are able to draft Matthews, Robinson or Lewan with our first pick and we do trade down at #13 at 14-20:
1. Ha-Ha
2. Gilbert
3. Pryor
4. Dennard
5. Beckham
Not bad man. I like the lists. We seem to be interested in the same players other than Matthews and Lewan. But I will say if we traded down to the 8-10 range and Matthews was there and we still had the 13th pick, I suppose I wouldn't mind grabbing him depending on who is still on the board. Definitely don't want him at 2 though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
After extensively watching tape, I now have Mike Evans ahead of Sammy Watkins as the best WR in the draft.

I'm not a college football guy but I have seen one or two people say that exact same thing. Why do you think he is a better choice?

A55VA6

Legend
Yeah, not to take anything away from Watkins I think he will be a good player, I just think Evans will be better. I really like his game and the way it translates to the nfl.

One thing I love about Evans is he uses his size and has the ability to bring in tough jump balls that most WR's and even TE's can't.

tbux

Rookie
Yeah, not to take anything away from Watkins I think he will be a good player, I just think Evans will be better. I really like his game and the way it translates to the nfl.

I can see where you are coming from- I just dont think he is as good a player at the end of the day. I can see him being a productive player esp in the red zone- but I dont think he has the all around game Sammy does.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a college football guy but I have seen one or two people say that exact same thing. Why do you think he is a better choice?

I really started to fall in love with Evans for a number of reasons. The first is his size and leaping ability, he seems to always be open regardless of where the defender is positioned just because his physical stature is so imposing. Evans has fantastic hands and is a dominant red zone threat with his uncanny body control, size, and leaping ability, he uses his size to shield defenders so they cant make a play on the ball and routinely makes contested catches look easy, he tends to really bully Dbacks. For these reasons he is a a fantastic third down option (something we desperately need). He's deceptively fast, enough so to consistently get separation and is a great YAC option.

Id recommend watching some tape on him if you haven't done so, its definitely worthwhile

Alan

Legend
A55VA6 with this:
Not bad man. I like the lists. We seem to be interested in the same players other than Matthews and Lewan. But I will say if we traded down to the 8-10 range and Matthews was there and we still had the 13th pick, I suppose I wouldn't mind grabbing him depending on who is still on the board. Definitely don't want him at 2 though.
I made a mistake with my first group. I meant to put Lewan as my third choice with no trade at #2. I would never pick Ha-Ha that high.

I hope that doesn't mean you hate my picks now. :LOL:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I love about Evans is he uses his size and has the ability to bring in tough jump balls that most WR's and even TE's can't.

Exactly, he lacks some quickness and speed that a guy like Watkins has, but IMO more than makes up for it with his size and body control

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see where you are coming from- I just dont think he is as good a player at the end of the day. I can see him being a productive player esp in the red zone- but I dont think he has the all around game Sammy does.

Thats completely fair because at the end of the day who knows. If you havent had a chance to watch a lot of tape on Evans you should check it out, he might sway you on his upside a little

tbux

Rookie
I honestly dont sit and watch tape- I am the casual fan that watches a ton of college FB- esp Fla teams and Sec- of course other games as well, but mostly Fla teams and SEC. I do play close attention to players Iknow will be entering the draft. I probably watched 15 of Evans' games and what concerns me a bit is that he is easy to cover unless plays breakdown and JM can scramble away. He is however awesome in the red zone. But I have seen him seemingly shut down by some of the good corners. I havent seen SW shut down- even with a lesser offense and QB. I get the love for Evans- I see him much the same as I did Floyd from Zona. I see more all around skill wi SW and more drive to be great. I just dont think this kid will be denied. I can see Evans having more TDs- but Watkins better everywhere else.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I really started to fall in love with Evans for a number of reasons. The first is his size and leaping ability, he seems to always be open regardless of where the defender is positioned just because his physical stature is so imposing. Evans has fantastic hands and is a dominant red zone threat with his uncanny body control, size, and leaping ability, he uses his size to shield defenders so they cant make a play on the ball and routinely makes contested catches look easy, he tends to really bully Dbacks. For these reasons he is a a fantastic third down option (something we desperately need). He's deceptively fast, enough so to consistently get separation and is a great YAC option.

Id recommend watching some tape on him if you haven't done so, its definitely worthwhile

Any youtube vids you watched that especially impressed?

Linky-links please LOL.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
With no trade #2:
1. Matthews
2. Robinson
3. Lewan
4. Watkins
5. Evans
With a trade down to 4-6 at 4-6:
1. Matthews
2. Robinson
3. Watkins
4. Evans
5. Donald
With a trade down to 8-10 at 8-10:
1. Matthews
2. Robinson
3. Lewan
4. Evans
5. Donald
If we are able to draft Matthews, Robinson or Lewan with our first pick and we don't trade down at #13:
1. Ha-Ha
2. Gilbert
3. Pryor
4. Dennard
5. Donald
If we are able to draft Matthews, Robinson or Lewan with our first pick and we do trade down at #13 at 14-20:
1. Ha-Ha
2. Gilbert
3. Pryor
4. Dennard
5. Beckham

That's a really boring draft, bro. I'm on a sexy kick.
My listing is similar to yours but I have Mack at 4 and Matthews at 5:
1) Clowney
2) Watkins
3) Robinson
4) Mack
5) Matthews

If the trades suck monkey jolly then im all over this.

Who is gonna panic if we pick Mathews? Long was playing just as good or better than Mathews could have most the season. Therefore, we're not really doing anything different.

I like Robinson but we have a ton of picks. Why not go OG round 2 then spend our late picks on a couple of beefy OT's that could make stud OG's. It's better use of the picks. Our rivals will cringe if we land Watkins or Clowney.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any youtube vids you watched that especially impressed?

Linky-links please LOL.

I usually type in "Mike Evans vs" so you can pick out specific match ups and put extra focus on the better teams but here are a few ive been watching.

Alan

Legend
mr.stlouis using his other head to think:
That's a really boring draft, bro. I'm on a sexy kick.
If you want sexy draft this one:
upload_2014-4-18_16-12-10.jpeg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am almost to the point where I hope they pick Watkins, because then we wont have to speculate if the Rams are going to take a Wide Receiver number 1 every stinking offseason!

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
I hope not, I hope we pick up Greg Rob. We need to keep Sam upright and with the receiving core that we have right now can do the job.

A55VA6

Legend
I made a mistake with my first group. I meant to put Lewan as my third choice with no trade at #2. I would never pick Ha-Ha that high.

I hope that doesn't mean you hate my picks now. :LOL:
lol nah it's all good.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
1. Clowney
2. Mathews
3. Watkins
4. Mack
5. Robinson

Memphis Ram

Legend
I honestly dont sit and watch tape- I am the casual fan that watches a ton of college FB- esp Fla teams and Sec- of course other games as well, but mostly Fla teams and SEC. I do play close attention to players Iknow will be entering the draft. I probably watched 15 of Evans' games and what concerns me a bit is that he is easy to cover unless plays breakdown and JM can scramble away. He is however awesome in the red zone. But I have seen him seemingly shut down by some of the good corners. I havent seen SW shut down- even with a lesser offense and QB. I get the love for Evans- I see him much the same as I did Floyd from Zona. I see more all around skill wi SW and more drive to be great. I just dont think this kid will be denied. I can see Evans having more TDs- but Watkins better everywhere else.

I'd say it's pretty hard to shut down any good WR that catches so many passes behind the line of scrimmage or within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage with little to no press coverage.

RamsFan14

Starter
Get greedy- trade back and get Watkins at 3 or 4- then use those picks to trade up from 13 and get Robinson or Matthews- BOOM! perfect start.

This is honestly my dream scenario for the draft! If we could make this happen, omg there's no reason why this offense shouldn't take off! (injuries aside). I personally think we should use our first 2 picks on offense, feel like our offense could use the talent way more then our defense.