Sammy Watkins on impending free agency: 'I'm looking forward to staying'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
*Drags the dead horse out of the garage*

After some more thought and this playoff game... I'm fine with bringing Watkins back.

But it has to be fore a reasonable price - he isn't worth a lot of cap space.

nighttrain

Legend
*Drags the dead horse out of the garage*

After some more thought and this playoff game... I'm fine with bringing Watkins back.

But it has to be fore a reasonable price - he isn't worth a lot of cap space.
as much as Woods....
train

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

woods was a stud today. goff gave him a chance to make a play on 3rd down when the rams really needed it to stay in the game and he gobbled it up.

watkins, well, he dropped a td pass which hit his hands then couldn't even touch a long bomb there for him to score another td. compare that to the long bomb woods caught just before the half.

higbee, ugh. when is he gonna learn to catch a ball with a defender on him?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
woods was a stud today. goff gave him a chance to make a play on 3rd down when the rams really needed it to stay in the game and he gobbled it up.

Yeah really proud of Woods, he played his @$$ off tonight. And Kupp even with the drop had a good game given his rookie status.

With Sammy I was all for signing him but not so sure now. It's a tough call man, I think my level of acceptable contract shrunk with this playoff performance.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-rams-sammy-watkins-free-agent-contract-2018/

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-falcons-rams-watkins-20180102-story.html

I was surprised this wasn't posted here already. I searched and didn't see it (sorry if I missed it).

“I love it here,” Watkins told the L.A. Times. “I don’t want to change teams. That’s not what a guy of my stature wants to do, bounce around. I’ve got a family so I’m looking forward to staying. But you know it’s a business.”

I wouldn’t offer more than 5 million a year. He is what he is at this point and that is a 1 to 2 catch a game guy who only gets about 3 targets in most games. Let him go and take a compensatory draft pick in return before wasting money on him.

…..

Legend
I'd love to know why Goff doesn't look, or so rarely looks his way. That may be the most important thing we need to know.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I'd love to know why Goff doesn't look, or so rarely looks his way. That may be the most important thing we need to know.

He looks his way but he ain't open.

It will be interesting to see what his market value is. Not sure anyone will pay him $10M.

I could see him coming back to the rams at $7M.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well.... he would be dumb to take a huge pay cut to stay here... sure we all want to win.

But our future and our families future is more important... especially when you are young.

It's not so simple.

What were his numbers ? I’m not a big fan at all. It won’t be about if he wants to stay.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
You can almost gauge a problem player by the length and number of threads about him. Sammys not in Quick territory yet but if there's already this much discussion about him I think we need to keep looking for a D stretching WR1. Man if Fitz were 3 years younger....

jacktheripper85

Starter
I wouldn’t offer more than 5 million a year. He is what he is at this point and that is a 1 to 2 catch a game guy who only gets about 3 targets in most games. Let him go and take a compensatory draft pick in return before wasting money on him.

I agree. I stated in an earlier thread that it concerned me that he didn’t step up when Woods went down. You watch the stud receivers in the league and it stands out that no matter where the ball is they are committed to beating the DB for the ball. I never see that out of Sammy-seems like he’s not interested in giving that extra effort on any contested balls. And believe me that’s why Goff looks to Woods and Kupp before Sammy-a QB knows who’s giving the effort.

Hawaii Ram

Rookie
My main problem with Sammy is that he simply does not look like he fights for 50-50 balls. Look at the effort Woods puts out there and compare it to him, it’s like night a day. Not a good characteristic for a #1 receiver.

Memphis Ram

Legend
You can almost gauge a problem player by the length and number of threads about him. Sammys not in Quick territory yet but if there's already this much discussion about him I think we need to keep looking for a D stretching WR1. Man if Fitz were 3 years younger....

The Rams would still be looking for a D stretching WR1.

Memoriesdk

UDFA
Name
Memoriesdk
This is what Rotoworld said about Watkins:
His struggles can be attributed to quarterback play and coaching. Watkins is an exceptionally poor fit with Jared Goff, who avoids risky throws and struggles with accuracy. Coach Sean McVay also focused much of his play-calling on short-to-intermediate routes and play action.

One doesn’t even have to watch the games and just look at stats to know this is untrue. How do these guys have jobs?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is what Rotoworld said about Watkins:
His struggles can be attributed to quarterback play and coaching. Watkins is an exceptionally poor fit with Jared Goff, who avoids risky throws and struggles with accuracy. Coach Sean McVay also focused much of his play-calling on short-to-intermediate routes and play action.

One doesn’t even have to watch the games and just look at stats to know this is untrue. How do these guys have jobs?
Because of shit like that. Nobody talks about rational analyses anymore.
It's all about the hot takes.
fire.png

Memoriesdk

UDFA
Name
Memoriesdk
Because of crap like that. Nobody talks about rational analyses anymore.
It's all about the hot takes.
fire.png

Rotoworld analysts are some of the ones that gave Goff a really hard time last year and they cant cope with the fact that he made them look like fools this year

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm not set on Watkins coming back but if they don't bring him back they better have a backup plan to replace him first. Because right now he usually takes the best CB and if he's gone suddenly Woods is getting the best CB and does he make as many plays like that? I don't know, Watkins is a hard nut to crack in this offense. He's a great touchdown presence in the redzone and we don't have many of those. He has deep play threat but seems to play "lazy" on a lot of them.

So I'll leave it up to McVay to decide if he's worth having on the team because he'd know better than any of us. I think he'd have a great year if he came back. But what I do know is if he leaves we have to find a way to replace him or the other WRs will suffer.

wmc540

Pro Bowler

Goff took a key sack with Watkins in 1:1 coverage and his man beat in the red zone. He was looking at him and didn't pull the trigger. Something is off there.