Sammy Watkins on impending free agency: 'I'm looking forward to staying'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
what about the elephant in the room - Tevon Austin's contract.

Pretty sure that topic's a horse...

giphy.gif

…..

Legend
I don't see Watkins as money.

He's a chess piece. A valuable piece to our attack.

Let the money guys worry about money, the strategy guys need Watkins.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we cut Tavon by 3/16/18 he will get a grand total of $0 from the Rams in 2018.

Are you saying the $5m is only guaranteed if tavon is on the roster after that date?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Jesus Christ.

Now everybody’s Kevin Demoff.

I would pay him this...I would pay him that ...I would and and and.

I know it’s a discussion forum, but sometimes...

Where’s the freaking snore emoji.

4 ha has and 2 chills.
Caught both ends on that one. :rolllaugh::boxing:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Sammy Watkins on impending free agency: 'I'm looking forward to staying'.

This can be translated as he is looking forward to staying if he is offered the most money by the Rams.

I don't hold it against him. I would say the same thing.
I don't think this is an accurate characterization of SW's attitude. I think he genuinely wants to stay, and will do so if he gets a fair offer. Of course, there is a market out there, but imo this not like, say, Janoris Jenkins, or possibly even Trumaine Johnson, who wanted the money above all.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm sorry if people haven't watched enough film to get how much Sammy pulls the D.

Without him, defenses play us differently. That's just a fact.

I dunno where he fits money-wise, but schematically, he's a HUGE part of our offense and I hope he stays so that we can go on a DOMINANT run.

I dunno if the two rookies are ready to step up, but I can guarantee that defenses won't react to them the same which means greater pressure on scheme and the other players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you saying the $5m is only guaranteed if tavon is on the roster after that date?

I'm actually quite confused about that. Roster bonuses can be guaranteed or not guaranteed. If it's guaranteed, it simply gets paid on that date, but it gets paid no matter what. If it's not guaranteed, you have to be on the roster that day to get the bonus. Spotrac and other websites indicate that Tavon's 2018 roster bonus is guaranteed. However, Spotrac also says that the roster bonus was not guaranteed upon signing. That means that it had to become guaranteed at some point for it to be guaranteed, but there's no indication of when it became guaranteed. That's what's confusing me.

@flv
Can you clear this up? Do you know when Tavon's 2018 roster bonus became officially guaranteed?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm actually quite confused about that. Roster bonuses can be guaranteed or not guaranteed. If it's guaranteed, it simply gets paid on that date, but it gets paid no matter what. If it's not guaranteed, you have to be on the roster that day to get the bonus. Spotrac and other websites indicate that Tavon's 2018 roster bonus is guaranteed. However, Spotrac also says that the roster bonus was not guaranteed upon signing. That means that it had to become guaranteed at some point for it to be guaranteed, but there's no indication of when it became guaranteed. That's what's confusing me.

@flv
Can you clear this up? Do you know when Tavon's 2018 roster bonus became officially guaranteed?
@kurtfaulk

Sorry I misread his bonus it's fully guaranteed and paid on 3/16.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/tavon-austin-12288/

upload_2018-1-5_20-17-27.png

I read it as a bonus like Robert Quinn had for several years. Three years of his bonus became guaranteed on certain dates.

upload_2018-1-5_20-19-13.png

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/robert-quinn-7729/

JackStraw

Rookie
We need to keep Sammy
The two(maybe 3 with Hem)young kids at TE will fill his role just fine, and i'm sure someone will come out of nowhere and have a way overachieving season.
Love Sammy, but what we have is just not built to last.

Hopefully he stays out of SF

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would advise anyone on earth to take 80 mil instead of 30 mil..... unless they already were a veteran that had played for a big contract.
depends....Fla./LA or Cleveland? Big city with a huge family, or nice quiet community?? 30 million dollars is plenty...for a wise-spending....anything...set for life...as long as you're comfortable, what else do you need? Not saying Sammy will "settle" for $30m....probably around 40-50....but just as an example...he could/should be cool with 30....and the team stays competitive at other valuable positions...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd love to bring Sammy back. I know he hasn't been featured like a number one should, but defenses have to account for him. Gives the other guys an advantage. And its possible they use him more next season. But can they afford it? Getting a deal done with Donald should be the top priority. And we know what that will take.

They need to work on others too. Tru, Joyner and NRC. And with all that Gurley's time will come. You gotta make sure you have enough for him. Chances are we're going lose someone. Its tough to retain all your core players with the salary cap. You have to decide what is necessary and what is just luxury.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Man some people just can't be happy sith Sammy. He comes here and people wanna throw him out as a diva and now he comes out and says he lives it here and wants to stay and people wanna say he ain't worth our time geesh

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Regardless of how this season ends, FAs are a lot less likely to leave now. While I understand some players are all about the $, how could anyone in the Rams lockerroom not feel that this team if kept mostly intact, could win multiple Championships while enjoying the CA sunshine?