Sammy Watkins on impending free agency: 'I'm looking forward to staying'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think we are seeing just enough of what he can bring that he will be a priority to get signed before he hits the market. The dude is only 24 years old, avg15+ per catch and has 8 TDs. A performance based contract with a good base fills a hole that we don't need to open.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Jesus Christ.

Now everybody’s Kevin Demoff.

I would pay him this...I would pay him that ...I would and and and.

I know it’s a discussion forum, but sometimes...

Where’s the fucking snore emoji.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Where’s the freaking snore emoji.
25ff7b07ad72f0d1dfd44663821cac2e.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just give Tavons money to Sammy and be done with it. Like alot of people have said, we've been looking for a talent like him, why let him go?

Tavon is getting $5m of tavon's money. That leaves $3m. To replace him will take $1m. That leaves $2m spare for somebody else if they cut him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tavon is getting $5m of tavon's money. That leaves $3m. To replace him will take $1m. That leaves $2m spare for somebody else if they cut him.

Killjoy.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Sammy Watkins on impending free agency: 'I'm looking forward to staying'.

This can be translated as he is looking forward to staying if he is offered the most money by the Rams.

I don't hold it against him. I would say the same thing.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Give him a deal similar to Woods and move on from Austin hopefully in a trade. Cooper will take Austin's snaps and be more effective.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watkins IMO will be our "sign him and frontload his contract to offset with Goff's contract" - if we look at the two of them over what will be the next 5 years, their cap hits will end up averaging out to the same when it's all said and done IMO.

Donald will be re-signed.

My guess is Joyner gets the franchise tag - without even looking, I'm confident his agent will be asking for more than the average of the top 5 at his position, so financially it makes sense right now. If he repeats this next year, we can look to re-sign him long term and make him the highest paid safety in the league.

Barwin and Sullivan will get "here's a 1/2 year deal paying a few million if you want it", but we have Barwin's replacement already, and we should be drafting Sullivan's.

CB is where it gets really tricky. If we let TruJo go, I would guess that Talib will be a Ram, and we'll draft two as well.

I would prefer to re-sign everyone. take advantage of the fact that Goff has another 4 years or so until a huge contract. Maximize this window, move Tavon if we need to (we shouldn't), and frontload some contracts to keep this team together for as long as possible.

poLARizing

UDFA
what about the elephant in the room - Tevon Austin's contract. I'm still baffled at that big signing last year. Unless McVay figures out to fully utilize him next year, his per play production against what he is making is abysmal. The ROI is crap.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
they don't sign Watkins and its back to looking for a #1 WR.

Not sure starting over with that and saving a couple of mil is better than giving Sammy $$$.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
This year the Rams have shown that their offense functions well with Gurley as the bell cow and a WR by committee approach, so going all in on Sammy with franchise type money makes no sense to me. Based on targets and production Woods is the Rams # 1 receiver with CK # 2.

I agree with those who think the Rams should offer him a Woods type contract (($7mil-$8mil a year range) prior to free agency. If he signs for Woods type money great if not let him go and shop. I would prefer to have Sammy but not at the franchise price tag. His career production just has nor warranted that. We have Reynolds and Thomas waiting in the wings who can become the deep threats in place of Watkins if he wants a salary north of $9mil a year.

If the Rams use the Franchise tag I agree with those that think Joyner should be the one tagged. Next to resigning Donald I think keeping Joyner should be one of the top priorities on the team along with finding a number 1 corner. (keeping Johnson at reasonable price or picking up his replacement in FA plus drafting one or two). On offense my top priority would be the line (Keeping Sullivan and then finding/developing an heir apparent for both him and Whitworth).

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well.... he would be dumb to take a huge pay cut to stay here... sure we all want to win.

But our future and our families future is more important... especially when you are young.
When you think about it...is $6 million that much different than $16 million...I know, extra ten....but after 5 years, that's $30 million....what the hell do you need more than #30 for? Serious question....$30 mil or $80 mil...pretty sure the family is set for life with either number.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We could always draft Brian Quick JR and be back to square one.
Finally some common sense in here....What year is he coming out? I'd grab him and his dad, quick! Before anyone catches on to the type of players they are...
what about the elephant in the room - Tevon Austin's contract.
I was just thinking...give Sammy, Tavon's contract numbers....and be done with Tavon.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I don't see a huge debate here. Either the Rams can sign Sammy to a deal that works for the team or they can't and he walks. It's all about the Benjamins...

As for my feelings, I'd love to keep Sammy here. But not if the team loses a significant piece in doing so. I feel the same for TruJo. Both are great players but not irreplaceable...

Ellard80

Legend
When you think about it...is $6 million that much different than $16 million...I know, extra ten....but after 5 years, that's $30 million....what the hell do you need more than #30 for? Serious question....$30 mil or $80 mil...pretty sure the family is set for life with either number.

I would advise anyone on earth to take 80 mil instead of 30 mil..... unless they already were a veteran that had played for a big contract.

Need is a word that's hard to define when it comes to money.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If we cut Tavon by 3/16/18 he will get a grand total of $0 from the Rams in 2018.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Watkins IMO will be our "sign him and frontload his contract to offset with Goff's contract" - if we look at the two of them over what will be the next 5 years, their cap hits will end up averaging out to the same when it's all said and done IMO.

Donald will be re-signed.

My guess is Joyner gets the franchise tag - without even looking, I'm confident his agent will be asking for more than the average of the top 5 at his position, so financially it makes sense right now. If he repeats this next year, we can look to re-sign him long term and make him the highest paid safety in the league.

Barwin and Sullivan will get "here's a 1/2 year deal paying a few million if you want it", but we have Barwin's replacement already, and we should be drafting Sullivan's.

CB is where it gets really tricky. If we let TruJo go, I would guess that Talib will be a Ram, and we'll draft two as well.

I would prefer to re-sign everyone. take advantage of the fact that Goff has another 4 years or so until a huge contract. Maximize this window, move Tavon if we need to (we shouldn't), and frontload some contracts to keep this team together for as long as possible.

Man I hope you're wrong with Joyner. I want him locked up FAST. Like now even. ;)