Sam Released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Seems unfair. The Rams cut 100% of their openly gay players but only 28% of the straight ones.

Hilarious! Haha :)

Westbrook is just a much better player. That's what it boiled down to.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
upload_2014-8-30_15-53-3.png

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, my reaction to that Drudge headline is...visceral. Wrong on a lot of levels and it's the very damn reason why so many thought this would be a circus. Bet it drove clicks, too...

F'n HATE news sites these days. Most news editors are glorified PR people and comedian Bill Hicks had the solution... just sayin...

That said, I agree with you B&G. They originally had him rated much higher, but as they said many times weren't gonna draft ANY DEs because...duh, look at their depth. Heck they didn't think they'd convince any UDFAs to come, either because of the depth, but they threw money at Westbrooks and he surprised.

But let's be clear... if Westbrooks had his personal life together and just been at one Div I school all along, he's probably a 2nd round pick the Rams never see, so BOTH were really under valued draft wise for their actual talent level.

NEITHER was a "7th round talent". We've seen guys with 7th round talent. Brady went in the 6th round and he's by no means a 6th round talent. Richard Dent went in the 8th round in 1983 and he's by no means an 8th round talent... We all know about Warner and other UDFAs... more goes into where a guy gets drafted than pure talent.

If only that were so, drafting would be more of a science and there wouldn't be so many busts...

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sam is not 7th round talent. I believe his talent is worth a decent trade.

Didn't help himself at the combine.

6'2" 261 lbs and only ran a 4.91/40 with only a 25.5" vertical and can only play LE? Most focus on his sexual orientation, but some of these teams look for physical upside early in the draft and he wasn't impressive at all.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Some of those girls are pretty hot. Many wear "western" clothing as well.... Then again after over a year with only men, maybe they weren't as good looking as we remember....:notsure:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Didn't help himself at the combine.

6'2" 261 lbs and only ran a 4.91/40 with only a 25.5" vertical and can only play LE? Most focus on his sexual orientation, but some of these teams look for physical upside early in the draft and he wasn't impressive at all.

And he ran a 4.65/40 and had a 28" vert at his pro day. It wasn't that he couldn't play both sides. Mizzou wanted them that way. It's sort of like knocking an LSU for DT for not being a penetrating DT when their DL scheme doesn't ask them to do that (it asks them to collapse the pocket).

Plenty of guys have mediocre pro days. Had he not improved and been like Vontaze Burfict, the LB from ASU who ran a 5.0/40 (who's now a Pro Bowl LB for Cincy), I could understand.

I just think that once he came out, some folks were looking for an excuse. Once he had a poor Combine, it didn't matter what he did after that, it was all that group needed.

I'm certain that his play for the Rams, playing well from LDE and RDE and producing with sacks and tackles shows that he belongs in this league and can play.

If any team NOW is still relying on that Combine...well, they deserve their crap scouting department and the losing seasons coming their way...

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
. Richard Dent went in the 8th round in 1983 and he's by no means an 8th round talent....

Dent was at the time. He was underweight and slow. Bears gave him braces and he was albe to digest food and put on weight, then was able to play at a high level. He was a skinny, try hanrd guy at a small college that had some good film. Bears took a chance, developed him and in his 2nd year he was a player.

From what I've seen Sam needs some upper-body strength and on a roster or a PS he can work on it and can be a player in the NFL. He's got the talent, likely middle round now and with a few months with Waufle, he's likely improved those skills. But the Dent thing was because he really wasn;t ready, but Bears saw something made changes and made him into a player, though they couldn't get him into the weight room enough.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Freakin' Bernie M. is at the Fisher/Rams New Conference...JT should be the guy there asking the most questions..but there;'s Bernie ..*smh
Bernie must have gotten a ride with JT. Because I don 't think he knows where Rams Park is. In 4 years of going to training camp, I have NEVER seen him out there. EVER!

Memphis Ram

Legend
And he ran a 4.65/40 and had a 28" vert at his pro day. It wasn't that he couldn't play both sides. Mizzou wanted them that way. It's sort of like knocking an LSU for DT for not being a penetrating DT when their DL scheme doesn't ask them to do that (it asks them to collapse the pocket).

Plenty of guys have mediocre pro days. Had he not improved and been like , the LB from ASU who ran a 5.0/40 (who's now a Pro Bowl LB for Cincy), I could understand.

I just think that once he came out, some folks were looking for an excuse. Once he had a poor Combine, it didn't matter what he did after that, it was all that group needed.

I'm certain that his play for the Rams, playing well from LDE and RDE and producing with sacks and tackles shows that he belongs in this league and can play.

If any team NOW is still relying on that Combine...well, they deserve their crap scouting department and the losing seasons coming their way...

And over the years, plenty of guys who have had mediocre combines or pro days have either been selected much later in the draft than draftniks expected or have even gone undrafted. What also hurt Sam was how poorly he was said to perform in LB drills when almost half the teams in the league play a 3-4 defense. And I'd question how many 4-3 teams would want a LDE his size.

Whether or not one thinks it's fair as to how he was used at Missouri, NFL teams have to go by what they see and that's harder to do if you haven't seen a player do something as often as you would like.

BTW, when did Sam play well at RDE for the Rams? He lined up wide of the RT and rushed from the LE spot which is the only way he had any success. And when did he do something vs. anyone of consequence this preseason? Making plays vs. scrubs doesn't mean a kid belongs in the league. A lot of kids did that this preseason and those guys either got cut or will get cut, too.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I was answering your question (with a question) about "what about the other 7th rd picks we let go". If Sam played as good as he could and still couldn't make the team (which he did, and didn't), it makes me think we could have used that pick at another position that doesn't have as much depth.
seems they did, They drafted a Safety, and Center and an OT. None of whom made the roster either.