Safeties aren't getting paid this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's criticizing him for things out of his control.
oh.....so he didn't play at all his first 3 seasons? I'm actually offering a judgment...my own...of his performance over his 4 years here....IMO....he's overpaid. Critiquing....naw....opinion.
I would think that if LJ continually refuses to sign a new long term contract this season with the Rams he will not be retained after the 2018 season concludes.
FIFY Boni!

He has 3 picks in one year as a free safety.
Agreed....3 picks....I can remember one very well...think I remember the others.....and from my memory, he basically was given 3 gifts....terrible throws that he just caught....nothing special..

Several years ago...a db from Dallas named Brown had several INT's in the superbowl....he was rewarded handsomely by the Oakland Raiders with a huge contract....which he NEVER lived down.....I remember noting with a friend....Brown isn't anything special, he basically was GIVEN 3 int's in the SB....he didn't have to do anything, just catch and run....the QB threw them right to him....and any player would have made these plays....he didn't go and get the ball, it came right to him. This, in my opinion, is Joyner as a FS.....maybe he gets better....maybe not.....no way his play warrants $11 million a season....and like some of yall with QBR, IDGAF what PFF says.....I watch the Rams more than them.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, it would seem that it would be in Joyner’s best interest to come to terms on a 5 year extension with the Rams. And at a number way south of his $11 million franchise tag price.

And for 3 powerful reasons:

The Rams will use their tag on AD, so a Joyner tagging is not an option even if they were crazy enough to even consider it.

The FA market for S seems to be very soft. His FA number could well be less than what he could negotiate with the Rams on an extension. Look what happened to the Honeybadger.

Last, but by no means least, the Rams have Snead’s uncanny ability to find quality secondary players as their ace in the hole. I doubt that the Rams would hesitate to turn to the draft next year if Joyner forces their hand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, it would seem that it would be in Joyner’s best interest to come to terms on a 5 year extension with the Rams. And at a number way south of his $11 million franchise tag price.

And for 3 powerful reasons:

The Rams will use their tag on AD, so a Joyner tagging is not an option even if they were crazy enough to even consider it.

The FA market for S seems to be very soft. His FA number could well be less than what he could negotiate with the Rams on an extension. Look what happened to the Honeybadger.

Last, but by no means least, the Rams have Snead’s uncanny ability to find quality secondary players as their ace in the hole. I doubt that the Rams would hesitate to turn to the draft next year if Joyner forces their hand.
So correct here. Less than a month ago the Rams secondary was considered a very big issue with starters CB Trumaine Johnson, FS Cody Davis, CB/FS Lamarcus Joyner & CB Nickell Robey-Coleman all UFA's. The big health concerns over the two major surgeries to CB Kayvon Webster was a large questionable element. CB Troy Hill was a pending RFA too.

AD will certainly get the top pole position on any 2019 franchised tagging event & the next season too. Point is the Ram defensive world has changed since the tagging of LJ on March 6th. I can not recall when a Ram DB cadre was so well stocked. This secondary is now something to behold:

CB- Aqib Talib/ Kayvon Webster/ Taurean Nixon/ Marcus Sayles
CB- Marcus Peters/ Troy Hill/ Kevin Peterson
NK- Nickell Robey-Coleman/ Sam Shields/ Dom Hatfield
Saf- John Johnson III/ Isaiah Johnson/ Marqui Christian
Saf- Lamarcus Joyner/ Blake Countess

Wade has several wise veteran corners (Talib/Shields) for the youngsters like Hill, Peterson, Hatfield & Nixon to sit back watch & learn from in 2018. Another factor with an abundance of very good corners, Wade might consider moving the savvy old ball hawk veteran 6-1 205 pound Talib back into deep safety position if LJ fails to produce like a 11 million plus safety should produce in 2018. So LJ might want to not rest on his mega $11 mil franchised tagged event too much.....fact is if I were LJ ....I would be looking for a pen to sign a long term Ram contract today.

Ram65

Legend
Joyner only played one year as a FS, 65.

That's what a stated. All 3 picks came last year as a FS, 43.

His value goes far beyond picks. He can cover and hits like a ton of bricks. He might even be calling the plays. Don't know what the future holds but, they got him for this year. Hope they make a deal if not they will find another one.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Since he became a Ram i stated he would do best at FS with the ball in front of him. Now they did that and he balled out. Hope we can work out a long term contract cause he is a top FS and tackling machine.

nighttrain

Legend

His value goes far beyond picks. He can cover and hits like a ton of bricks. He might even be calling the plays. Don't know what the future holds but, they got him for this year. Hope they make a deal if not they will find another one.
best D ever, the 85 Bears had a safety calling the D, just sayin
train

Rams43

Hall of Fame

You’re absolutely right, 65. My apologies, man.

You and I are on the same page regarding Joyner.

It was Champ that I should have replied to. We might need to tag team him, though. He’s a very stubborn poster to straighten out, you know? Lol.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Seems like this posiion has become less and less important. Rookies are starting games, teams are not building around safeties .

Rememer when it was Ed reed , Dawkins, lynch and this was THE defensive position? Those days are gone now it is all about pressuring the QB.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
His value goes far beyond picks. He can cover and hits like a ton of bricks.

Now they did that and he balled out.

It was Champ that I should have replied to. We might need to tag team him, though. He’s a very stubborn poster to straighten out, you know? Lol.

don't try and confuse him with facts. leave him happy in his dream world.
Just ;like lining you guys all in a row....

He's the starter...for now...signed for one year....this topic will be re-visited. You guys like him back there...for $11 million....I don't. Reminds me of the Tavon deal....the Ogletree deal.....the Foles deal....and especially the Tru deal.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Since he became a Ram i stated he would do best at FS with the ball in front of him. Now they did that and he balled out. Hope we can work out a long term contract cause he is a top FS and tackling machine.

I think a lot of us were saying he should be playing FS . Some straight CB which I totally disagree with. Was crazy Fisher & Williams never even ventured the idea ?
Playing Mo Alexander at FS , who just disappeared into the sunset ? Bad player evaluation.

Ram65

Legend

He's the starter...for now...signed for one year....this topic will be re-visited. You guys like him back there...for $11 million....I don't. Reminds me of the Tavon deal....the Ogletree deal.....the Foles deal....and especially the Tru deal.

This is more in line with the TuJo deal. Don't see any relationship to the others. I like him back there over alternatives at the moment. These guys below are not close to Joyner's ability and still getting in the 5 Million $ range.

2017 PFF Grade
Kurt Coleman 47.0 Poor #76 S. 3 Year deal at 16 Million
Morgan Burnett 77.2 #51 Average S Got 3 year deal @ 14.3 Milllion

Sure, Rams could go a little bargain basement here to save money. They may have to next year as I stated earlier. Right now I'll take Joyner for this year and see how the Rams do with getting Suh. Either way they have no questions in the secondary. The Rams have other needs for drafting and may take a safety later on to develop for next year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is more in line with the TuJo deal. Don't see any relationship to the others. I like him back there over alternatives at the moment. These guys below are not close to Joyner's ability and still getting in the 5 Million $ range.
I think that kneeler Reid....is just as good....and probably would except something in the range of $5-8 million.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think that kneeler Reid....is just as good....and probably would except something in the range of $5-8 million.

This late into free agency, with other players available, it wouldn't shock me if Reid could be had for $3 to 4$ million per.

If Joyner hadn't already, he'd better sign that franchise tag 1 year contract fast.

Ram65

Legend

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/26/eric-reid-agrees-to-position-change-despite-no-long-term-assurance/
Eric Reid agrees to position change despite no long-term assurance
Posted by Charean Williams on October 26, 2017, 6:06 PM EDT
487164872-e1509055578901.jpg

Getty Images

Eric Reid has accepted the move from safety to weakside linebacker with no assurances from the 49ers that he remains in their long-term plans.

“This is my contract year, so when they broke the news to me, I wondered what the reasoning was to make the move,” Reid said Thursday, via Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group. “They were open and honest with me, and told me they really believe it’s best for the team, and I can really excel at the position.”

Reid began converting to linebacker in practice last week and played primarily on passing downs. He played 48 of 75 snaps against the Cowboys.

Ray-Ray Armstrong remains the starter at weakside linebacker, but the 49ers will give Reid a chance to win the starting job. Reid lost his starting strong safety job to Jaquiski Tartt after Reid injured his knee in Week 2.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if he goes and takes it,” defensive coordinator Robert Saleh said.

Reid is scheduled to become a free agent in the offseason. He talked to Saleh, coach Kyle Shanahan and General Manager John Lynch about the move to linebacker and was given no guarantee about his future.

“I asked them explicitly, ‘Can you at least tell me if I’m going to be here next year to play this position?’ They told me no,” Reid said. “Right now I just trust the film I have at safety is good enough to enter free agency with, and now I’ll get some film at linebacker, as well.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on champ at least find a free safety not a strong safety that didn't lose his job during the season.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

You know so much why aren't you a gm or coach in the league ?? So glad you not wade Phillips. Wait sign says don't feed you my bad.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Why is Reid being signalled out for kneeling? Pretty much half the other players knelt at one stage. Strange.

This whole thing was media driven dribble that probably 1% of fans gave a shit about. And they're the ones that probably have the American flag flying on a pole on their front lawns.

Giles27

UDFA
Name
Giles Loveless
profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/26/eric-reid-agrees-to-position-change-despite-no-long-term-assurance/
Eric Reid agrees to position change despite no long-term assurance
Posted by Charean Williams on October 26, 2017, 6:06 PM EDT
487164872-e1509055578901.jpg

Getty Images

Eric Reid has accepted the move from safety to weakside linebacker with no assurances from the 49ers that he remains in their long-term plans.

“This is my contract year, so when they broke the news to me, I wondered what the reasoning was to make the move,” Reid said Thursday, via Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group. “They were open and honest with me, and told me they really believe it’s best for the team, and I can really excel at the position.”

Reid began converting to linebacker in practice last week and played primarily on passing downs. He played 48 of 75 snaps against the Cowboys.

Ray-Ray Armstrong remains the starter at weakside linebacker, but the 49ers will give Reid a chance to win the starting job. Reid lost his starting strong safety job to Jaquiski Tartt after Reid injured his knee in Week 2.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if he goes and takes it,” defensive coordinator Robert Saleh said.

Reid is scheduled to become a free agent in the offseason. He talked to Saleh, coach Kyle Shanahan and General Manager John Lynch about the move to linebacker and was given no guarantee about his future.

“I asked them explicitly, ‘Can you at least tell me if I’m going to be here next year to play this position?’ They told me no,” Reid said. “Right now I just trust the film I have at safety is good enough to enter free agency with, and now I’ll get some film at linebacker, as well.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on champ at least find a free safety not a strong safety that didn't lose his job during the season.
But reid is a "athlete" with size.
The only reason champ doesn't like Joyner is because he's kinda small which doesn't stop him from being a damn good football player. He might say this and that but him being small is the real reason. It's mind boggling how he puts size and speed over guys who can just play football.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You know so much why aren't you a gm or coach in the league ?? So glad you not wade Phillips. Wait sign says don't feed you my bad.
Hmmmm....I'm just gonna put this here....to look over from time to time....

Curious??? Why are you a "rabid" ram?

Why is Reid being signalled out for kneeling?
I've heard he was first...the first to join Kaep. And he's said a few things as well....

The only reason champ doesn't like Joyner is because he's kinda small which doesn't stop him from being a damn good football player.
Size and speed only start my assessment......
I'm judging Joyner on what I watch on Sunday's......
Plus, that was a punk move on Hardknocks....