Round 3 Pick 69: Cooper Kupp, WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Hmmmm.....I wonder....any way to compare that top 50 versus the bottom 50?

I dont think thats a good comparison because the list goes to like almost 300 draft eligible WRs. Your looking at not very good college players when you get down that far in the list. Alot of guys you never heard of. I think 1-200 is a fine comparison line. SPARQ is a useful tool as I said in a previous post but it makes it more relevant when the player has good film to go with it IMO. This is my opinion of course.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I don't see Cooper Kupp as strictly a slot reciever.... I see him as a slot reciever with the potential to be a great no 2...sooner rather than later...only time will tell... but I can't wait to see this season unfold. .... ;)

Go Rams........ ;)

Memphis Ram

Legend
They weren't screaming it when Garoppolo was starting. It's all about how you scheme and use your WRs. I trust that McVay knows what he wants to do with this WRs. (y)

Scheme and proper WR use are very important.

Maybe a few would be screaming if the Cardinals kicker didn't missed that game winning FG on opening day. And if TE Martellus Bennett didn't go off in the second game. But, I doubt that most would be screaming it in his first few starts, anyway.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
-On Fowler and Latimer. Thats pretty fair but the point still stands that neither has done anything thus far. Not even as a 3rd/4th WR. They didnt draft Carlos Henderson for no reason. I doubt they feel those 2 guys will amount to anything. They were both outplayed this year by UDFA Jordan Taylor and Jordan Norwood (a mediocre vet going into his 8th year now). They cant beat out Norwood whos a 8 year veteran with a total of 844 career receiving yards... I mean if you consider Tavon the Rams 3rd WR behind Britt and Quick last year he still put up 500+ yards receiving in a god awful passing attack.

-On Janis. Jordy was hurt for all of 2015 and Janis was nowhere to be seen even though he was being hyped up to step in. He had a chance with GBs best WR out and was never heard from (dude had 2 catches all year). Ive seen rumors about the Packers being close to giving up on him. Im guessing this year is his last chance with them.

On Ellington. He didnt do much his first 2 years healthy even if he was going to start in the slot this past year. But lets be honest the 49ers WR corps was absolutely dreadful last year and made the Rams WR corps look strong. It wasnt much of a accomplishment to start on a team whos #1 WR was Jeremy freaking Kerley lol. They went and signed Garcon and Goodwin along with having Kerley likely because they werent comfortable with what they had. Maybe Ellington works out but I wouldnt hold my breath on it.

Yeah, but neither Fowler or Latimer are slot guys so that hasn't helped their cause behind Thomas and Sanders. And from my understanding Janis has had injury woes himself. Plus, when Jordy went down in 2015 they went the veteran route and James Jones stepped in and played well. But, maybe Janis's time is up. But, it's not like he hasn't had some pretty good players ahead of him.

Ellington didn't do much his first couple of years like most young WRs. But, the year prior to his season long injury, he had Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin ahead of him and they ran a lot of two TE stuff. Besides, with their struggling passing game, even the numbers of those guys took a dip.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, but neither Fowler or Latimer are slot guys so that hasn't helped their cause behind Thomas and Sanders. And from my understanding Janis has had injury woes himself. Plus, when Jordy went down in 2015 they went the veteran route and James Jones stepped in and played well. But, maybe Janis's time is up. But, it's not like he hasn't had some pretty good players ahead of him.

Ellington didn't do much his first couple of years like most young WRs. But, the year prior to his season long injury, he had Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin ahead of him and they ran a lot of two TE stuff. Besides, with their struggling passing game, even the numbers of those guys took a dip.

Neither Fowler nor Latimer are good WRs. Sanders can play in the slot. They don't get on the field because they're not good players.

Janis doesn't get on the field because Rodgers doesn't trust him. He may or may not be a good player.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Have you watched extensive tape on Everett? What is your take on him?
I've watched a little. Again, when I look at a kid that's small school, I try to look at what he does and imagine if it would work versus top competition? Guys that break tackles like Everett (hell, Kupp is running through the competition EWU faced as well...looking like John Riggins) I don't really think that applies as a trait since he was playing vs inferior players. He looks like a tall RB. But I can also see some safety or fast LB staying with him. I really don't like pass catchers with small hands...and, he's a body catcher. Look at the 5th round....Is he better than Legget? Is he better than Jake Butt? I'd say no. I can only imagine we didn't grab Butt later is due to his injury.

Regarding the order of the players selected, what you don't want to hear seems to be very significant. Apparently McVay's offense requires that TE that is a serious matchup problem for defenses. So he probably is the best fit.
How can we determine if he's a serious matchup problem versus real competition? He plays a position in a weaker conference that has inferior players....Weaker than he's ever faced? Butt's did it against the best...Hodges vs the best. Leggett vs the BEST. I'm guessing that Hodges & Leggett are better athletes too....I'm gonna guess that Butt, when healthy, is no slouch athlete either. And, IMO, those 3 are better at catching the ball...

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
SOMEBODY SLAP ME FOR WATCHING THIS 2 More Times This Morning :icare::rolllaugh:

the sound track goes with these highlights cause the Rams need a hero

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C58Rmur42o4

I had to watch this^ a couple of times too!! The Kids got great moves, great hands and talk about being able to run away from someone after the catch!!! And just listen to Jerry Rice's comment at the end of the Video! Now I see what @jrry32 was pounding the table about!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've watched a little. Again, when I look at a kid that's small school, I try to look at what he does and imagine if it would work versus top competition? Guys that break tackles like Everett (hell, Kupp is running through the competition EWU faced as well...looking like John Riggins) I don't really think that applies as a trait since he was playing vs inferior players. He looks like a tall RB. But I can also see some safety or fast LB staying with him. I really don't like pass catchers with small hands...and, he's a body catcher. Look at the 5th round....Is he better than Legget? Is he better than Jake Butt? I'd say no. I can only imagine we didn't grab Butt later is due to his injury.

How can we determine if he's a serious matchup problem versus real competition? He plays a position in a weaker conference that has inferior players....Weaker than he's ever faced? Butt's did it against the best...Hodges vs the best. Leggett vs the BEST. I'm guessing that Hodges & Leggett are better athletes too....I'm gonna guess that Butt, when healthy, is no slouch athlete either. And, IMO, those 3 are better at catching the ball...

Butt and Leggett were never on the table. They didn't fit what McVay wanted. Plus, there's no chance McVay was going to draft a guy nicknamed "Lazy" Leggett. Hodges fitted what he wanted, but he's not a good player. Doesn't block. Doesn't the catch the ball well. He's basically Jared Cook. Pass.

I disagree with your contention that Everett is a body-catcher. But yes, he's a much better receiver than Leggett and Butt.

jap

Legend

Cooper Kupp may need a little seasoning, but he has a solid basis for eventually emerging as a legitimate WR1 in this league. He seems to make all the catches, has very strong hands, commands trust from his QBs, runs good routes---what do you want? Like any receiver, he needs to get used to NFL caliber hits and learn to diagnose NFL caliber coverage schemes, but he should be alright.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hodges fitted what he wanted, but he's not a good player. Doesn't block. Doesn't the catch the ball well. He's basically Jared Cook. Pass.
His real name is Temuchin, which is Gengis Khan's original name. Bucky looks pretty good to me.

and he's my second choice outta this list.
My first choice would have been Jake Butt....
I'm sure you've seen all of these...but should anyone else be interested in why I'm still confused as to the selection of Everrett. I don't know what is the difference in matchups...or explosion...or whatever. Hodges IS more explosive...Butt IS a game changer...he's just injured. But first year TE's have a worse track record than WR's....They struggle with the physicality of the position in the pros...It's just different blocking, battling grown ass men...then trying to catch a pass in traffic, knowing there's a 4.4 safety baring down on you. See the emphasis on 4.4 SAFETY...ahahahah, that's for you jrry.
Oh yeah...some of yall don't like highlights....you want games?
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/bucky-hodges/
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jake-butt/

I'm throwing Lazy, err, Leggett in here as well.....games only....I thought we just discussed another lazy player...John Grudden ate him up in a piece on Thursday....He still went #1 overall. Coaching really matters...I bet those Vols players on our roster, if healthy, will show what they've built in U. of Tennessee.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jordan-leggett/

Very smooth catcher of the football. If there is an Evan Engram clone, it's lazy, err Leggs....Doesn't block...but looks like, plays like, the matchup nightmare you'd like in the slot, or out wide.

Didn't Cook have Aaron Rodgers tooting his horn? Begging McCarthy to re-sign him? Didn't he go to ANOTHER top NFL offense? Leading receiver in the playoffs for the Pack? Again, I see motivation issues....coaching...All these athletes are really close in talent...it's that little thing....some say it's heart. Hard to tell what gets guys going. If you find out, share it with me...I got a 10 year old with a world of talent...but she just loves the pizza party after the game...just as much if not more, than the games themselves.
Always a pleasure counselor.....I gotta couple of lawyers in my family...remind me a lil of you....I'm a health care guy meeself....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
PASSSSSS.... I'd rather have Everett and his ceiling with his already GOOD floor.
Yup, ... and here's PFF's pre-draft rankings :

Position Ranks: Big Board | QB | RB | WR | TE | OT | OG | C | EDGE | DT | LB | CB | S

Overall Name Position Position Rank School
18 O.J. Howard TE 1 Alabama
31 David Njoku TE 2 Miami (Fla.)
56 Gerald Everett TE 3 South Alabama
58 Evan Engram TE 4 Ole Miss
70 George Kittle TE 5 Iowa
88 Bucky Hodges TE 6 Virginia Tech
110 Jake Butt TE 7 Michigan
134 Jacob Hollister TE 8 Wyoming
146 Jeremy Sprinkle TE 9 Arkansas
151 Adam Shaheen TE 10 Ashland
173 Michael Roberts TE 11 Toledo
221 Pharaoh Brown TE 12 Oregon
239 Darrell Daniels TE 13 Washington
244 Jordan Leggett TE 14 Clemson
271 Jonnu Smith TE 15 Florida International
274 Cole Hikutini TE 16 Louisville
276 Evan Baylis TE 17 Oregon
279 Johnny Mundt TE 18 Oregon
and here's PFF's pre-draft rankings for TE's :

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Yup, ... and here's PFF's pre-draft rankings :

Position Ranks: Big Board | QB | RB | WR | TE | OT | OG | C | EDGE | DT | LB | CB | S

Overall Name Position Position Rank School
18 O.J. Howard TE 1 Alabama
31 David Njoku TE 2 Miami (Fla.)
56 Gerald Everett TE 3 South Alabama
58 Evan Engram TE 4 Ole Miss
70 George Kittle TE 5 Iowa
88 Bucky Hodges TE 6 Virginia Tech
110 Jake Butt TE 7 Michigan
134 Jacob Hollister TE 8 Wyoming
146 Jeremy Sprinkle TE 9 Arkansas
151 Adam Shaheen TE 10 Ashland
173 Michael Roberts TE 11 Toledo
221 Pharaoh Brown TE 12 Oregon
239 Darrell Daniels TE 13 Washington
244 Jordan Leggett TE 14 Clemson
271 Jonnu Smith TE 15 Florida International
274 Cole Hikutini TE 16 Louisville
276 Evan Baylis TE 17 Oregon
279 Johnny Mundt TE 18 Oregon
and here's PFF's pre-draft rankings for TE's :

Yup exactly! I reference that too. There's also a lot of talk about how Everett is Njoku's athletic equivalent.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
His real name is Temuchin, which is Gengis Khan's original name. Bucky looks pretty good to me.

and he's my second choice outta this list.
My first choice would have been Jake Butt....
I'm sure you've seen all of these...but should anyone else be interested in why I'm still confused as to the selection of Everrett. I don't know what is the difference in matchups...or explosion...or whatever. Hodges IS more explosive...Butt IS a game changer...he's just injured. But first year TE's have a worse track record than WR's....They struggle with the physicality of the position in the pros...It's just different blocking, battling grown ass men...then trying to catch a pass in traffic, knowing there's a 4.4 safety baring down on you. See the emphasis on 4.4 SAFETY...ahahahah, that's for you jrry.
Oh yeah...some of yall don't like highlights....you want games?
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/bucky-hodges/
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jake-butt/

I'm throwing Lazy, err, Leggett in here as well.....games only....I thought we just discussed another lazy player...John Grudden ate him up in a piece on Thursday....He still went #1 overall. Coaching really matters...I bet those Vols players on our roster, if healthy, will show what they've built in U. of Tennessee.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jordan-leggett/

Very smooth catcher of the football. If there is an Evan Engram clone, it's lazy, err Leggs....Doesn't block...but looks like, plays like, the matchup nightmare you'd like in the slot, or out wide.

Didn't Cook have Aaron Rodgers tooting his horn? Begging McCarthy to re-sign him? Didn't he go to ANOTHER top NFL offense? Leading receiver in the playoffs for the Pack? Again, I see motivation issues....coaching...All these athletes are really close in talent...it's that little thing....some say it's heart. Hard to tell what gets guys going. If you find out, share it with me...I got a 10 year old with a world of talent...but she just loves the pizza party after the game...just as much if not more, than the games themselves.
Always a pleasure counselor.....I gotta couple of lawyers in my family...remind me a lil of you....I'm a health care guy meeself....

No offense, but you could even make Lance Kendricks look good putting together a 5 minute highlight video.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Have to admit, I really didn't really give the competition that much of a look here. I was going by the way these guys seem to move. IMO, Everett moves like he has good speed, quickness, initial burst, and wiggle. He actually looks like a big WR like Jordan Reed does to me. Plus, it looks like he has some running back in him. He'll probably even get some carries on a few end arounds.

Jake Butt should be a good one, but he doesn't look nearly as quick and doesn't seem to be very fast either. And I think jrry32 is right in comparing Hodges to Jared Cook (only slower). Don't get me wrong, he looks like he has good speed in a straight line, but just like Cook, it takes him time to get up to that speed, and it looks like he has very little quickness or wiggle. He'll be a matchup problem via his size and hops (like Cook), but that looks to be his best chance at getting open in coverage. Just like Cook.

BTW, someone mentioned Kittle awhile back. While not as strong, he reminds me of Ernie Conwell. Great blocker who also ran like a 4.5/40, but had no quickness or wiggle whatsoever.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Nothing new. There are those guys on every message board. Most of them will make vague claims like "isn't as good of a route runner as people claim" but can't actually explain why in detail. The even better ones are the ones who explain why but are completely wrong.

Agreed. I wrote it off as someone who just has a personal hatred for him.

Look at this quote, it's what I was eluding too earlier about age... any truth? How old were some of the greats when they got drafted?

"Kupp is already older than Allen Robinson and Brandin Cooks. The track record of WRs entering the league at age 23 or older is horrific."

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Agreed. I wrote it off as someone who just has a personal hatred for him.

Look at this quote, it's what I was eluding too earlier about age... any truth? How old were some of the greats when they got drafted?

"Kupp is already older than Allen Robinson and Brandin Cooks. The track record of WRs entering the league at age 23 or older is horrific."

Vincent Jackson was almost twenty-five when he entered the league. I'm not concerned with Kupp's age.