Round 3 Pick 69: Cooper Kupp, WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
What I see is a collection of players that can maximize personnel groupings! Honestly maybe we need a thread that we can just figure out different personnel groupings and ways to deploy them. . .

Whit - Saff - Sullivan - Have - Grob (that we have assumptions to a point of being set)
Goff
Then you have personnel groupings (and we'll probably have a heavy set grouping for the oline as well)

This means that week in and week out Mcvay is going to have quite the pallet to work with as he designs gameplans. Not all of these guys will make the team but think about it

Gurley
Dunbar
Sam Rogers
Higbee
Hemingway
Everett
Woods
Austin
Kupp
Reynolds
Thomas
Pharoh

Just imagine the personnel groupings with that group of skill players

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Speaking of hands...big hands....and since this is Kupp's thread...Another opinion by Louie Tee

and some guy named Voch...listen to the contrasting analysis...you can really get a sense that Kupp is in some ways a polarizing player...some say slot...some say anywhere...

I may be way bias here and not seeing this right.

But that second video seemed pretty obscure to me.

Seems like he is pretty inconsistent in his evaluations. I'd like to see some reviews about other receivers.

Seems like sometimes he isn't understanding the nuances of the receiver position. Sure you want a nice get off on the snap, but using your get off is a nuance in the game. I have no doubts the Cooper knows how to win off the snap. He's winning because he knows what the defense is going to do, he isn't winning just by running fast.

There are reasons guys like Steve Smith watch his tape and say "he's my number 1". He wins with the tiny things and the mental things.

Memphis Ram

Legend
There are reasons guys like Steve Smith watch his tape and say "he's my number 1". He wins with the tiny things and the mental things.

Not to be too much of a wet blanket, but that Steve Smith combine quote on Kupp really took on a life of it's own and should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Why? I also recall Steve Smith listing his top 5 WRs in this draft class on NFL Network and not even mentioning Kupp. He also was pushing for his former Ravens to get Corey Davis or John Ross pre-draft, the former of which he mentioned as his favorite WR in the entire draft a day or so before the commissioner took to the podium.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Skins struggled in the red zone because Reed was injured.
And Reed is probably injured, cause he's the size of a RB playing TE....

I may be way bias here and not seeing this right.

But that second video seemed pretty obscure to me.

Seems like he is pretty inconsistent in his evaluations. I'd like to see some reviews about other receivers.

Seems like sometimes he isn't understanding the nuances of the receiver position. Sure you want a nice get off on the snap, but using your get off is a nuance in the game. I have no doubts the Cooper knows how to win off the snap. He's winning because he knows what the defense is going to do, he isn't winning just by running fast.

It's just another point of view...just like ours...seems like both of those guys watch a bunch of film. I still need to see him compete on this level vs press coverage, especially on the outside to see if he's some special receiver that "wins" versus any coverage. I see a slot wr too....hell, I figured Christian McCaffery was a slot wr at this level. Steve Smith JUST started voicing his opinions on wrs...lets see if he knows what "he's" talking about before assuming he knows more than others that have done this for awhile. Many "experts" had Corey Davis, Mike Williams, and John Ross rated ahead of Kupp...For good reason...I would like to see what these guys think of Reynolds.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Reed is probably injured, cause he's the size of a RB playing TE....

So why is Gronk always injured? Being the size of a HB didn't stop Shannon Sharpe from playing 204 games in the NFL.

Also, most NFL HBs aren't 6'3" 240.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So why is Gronk always injured? Being the size of a HB didn't stop Shannon Sharpe from playing 204 games in the NFL.
Gronk came into the league injury prone....but he still lasted pretty long, given his list of maladies...Gronk plays the game the right way...blocks hard, runs hard, runs through contact. No surprises he's always nicked up...
Shannon has NFL bloodlines...and is a physical specimen. Highly trained athlete...Again, when comparing size athletes, it's common for guys to select the outliers...the freaks...HOF players that are like that....rarely will you find a comparison...It's like trying to find a Tom Brady in the 6th round..with that same body...that lasts until he's 40....it's just not gonna happen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gronk came into the league injury prone....but he still lasted pretty long, given his list of maladies...Gronk plays the game the right way...blocks hard, runs hard, runs through contact. No surprises he's always nicked up...
Shannon has NFL bloodlines...and is a physical specimen. Highly trained athlete...Again, when comparing size athletes, it's common for guys to select the outliers...the freaks...HOF players that are like that....rarely will you find a comparison...It's like trying to find a Tom Brady in the 6th round..with that same body...that lasts until he's 40....it's just not gonna happen.

You mean that TEs who run hard after the catch tend to get injured regardless of size? Yep, that's my point. Everett's play style might make him susceptible to injury, but I'd rather have a great player who is susceptible to injury than a mediocre player who stays on the field. Injuries are common for TEs. It's a physical position. That holds true for TEs of all sizes.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You mean that TEs who run hard after the catch tend to get injured regardless of size? Yep, that's my point.
I guess you have a point....Gronk did enter the league with injury risks....he was injured in college. And, his size isn't the type that tend to get injured.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess you have a point....Gronk did enter the league with injury risks....he was injured in college. And, his size isn't the type that tend to get injured.

His size is the type that tends to get injured. Every type of TE tends to get injured. A few examples for you:
Gronk
Scott Chandler
Todd Heap
Troy Niklas
Austin Sefarian-Jenkins
Jace Amaro
Crockett Gillmore
Kyle Rudolph

Injuries are a fact of life for TEs. It's just like HBs. They both play positions where you take a physical pounding.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I still say Everett reminds me of Boldin. I will take that allllll day.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
They may even have the FB take a RB spot.

Pharoh can play RB as well. Tavon too.

Keep the best skill players and make them work.

JMO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not sure. But they will probably try to "Hide" a couple on the PS!! I think they go Heavy on O-Lineman, at least to start the Season!(y)

Where do you come up with that ??

-- 7 or 8 lineman suit up game day. Simmons on Center position I believe ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
His size is the type that tends to get injured. Every type of TE tends to get injured. A few examples for you:
Gronk
Scott Chandler
Todd Heap
Troy Niklas
Austin Sefarian-Jenkins
Jace Amaro
Crockett Gillmore
Kyle Rudolph

Injuries are a fact of life for TEs. It's just like HBs. They both play positions where you take a physical pounding.

Look at Graham from Seattle.

It's just nice to see some young blood come in at TE position. Hated Kedricks play , even when he was open it was nervous time. Alway remember Cook fumbling as well.