Rookie Wide Receivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Austin is an outside wr at all. he lines up all over and is used in a myriad of ways- some of which is on the outside, but far from being called an outside wr.

I think he is. Should be used in DeSean Jackson role outside.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I understand that they're better off mixing up Austin at all 3 X, Y, and Z, but I just hope they do use him as an outside threat more. He can't be any worse than Givens and I think we have plenty of receivers that can play the slot.

At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Tavon would be deadly outside. Period. Speed kills. It really is as simple as that. If you want to take your chances with his kind of speed on the outside without rolling S help? Good luck. When you HAVE to respect the speed on the edge, it makes your D susceptible in other facets. It is a numbers game. Oh, and Tavon would scare me a LOT more than Watkins on the outside...because he is quicker and faster.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
couldnt disagree more-

You're entitled to that opinion but Austin was far more effective outside as a rookie than he was in the slot. And it gives him less traffic to work through as well as more room to get open deep. IMO, it's the best place for him. Gets him more 1 on 1 opportunities, allows us to establish him as a deep threat to open up the shorter stuff where he can pick-up YAC, and makes him deal with less bodies when running routes.

tbux

Rookie
I would honestly like to hear your reasoning why on that.

I think the strength in Austin is his quickness- when once he learns the ins and outs of the slot will make him deadly. His versatility is also his huge asset. I dont want to limit him on the outside- and I dont think we will. He is better served being used the way Harvin was in Minn when he was healthy.

RFIP

You're entitled to that opinion but Austin was far more effective outside as a rookie than he was in the slot. And it gives him less traffic to work through as well as more room to get open deep. IMO, it's the best place for him. Gets him more 1 on 1 opportunities, allows us to establish him as a deep threat to open up the shorter stuff where he can pick-up YAC, and makes him deal with less bodies when running routes.

You simple won't ever agree BUT the reason he was more productive outside than inside is because when eh wa sinside the guys outside SUCKED!

Which is WHY Watkins is a must get for this team. Sammy outside with Austin inside simply and completely eliminates the stupid bracket coverage Austin had, sometimes by as many as 3 guys.

I'll wait for your disagreement which I am SURE is coming but that's the truth, the damn truth.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think the strength in Austin is his quickness- when once he learns the ins and outs of the slot will make him deadly. His versatility is also his huge asset. I dont want to limit him on the outside- and I dont think we will. He is better served being used the way Harvin was in Minn when he was healthy.
I thought he'd already played slot in college quite a bit. Anyway I tend to agree that they should move him around, but I think his speed makes him netter outside.

tbux

Rookie
I thought he'd already played slot in college quite a bit. Anyway I tend to agree that they should move him around, but I think his speed makes him netter outside.

college and pro routes and systems much different. and using him primarily on the outside wastes many of his skills. line him up EVERYWHERE- keep D's confused and thinking. that is a HUGE asset.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You simple won't ever agree BUT the reason he was more productive outside than inside is because when eh wa sinside the guys outside SUCKED!

Which is WHY Watkins is a must get for this team. Sammy outside with Austin inside simply and completely eliminates the stupid bracket coverage Austin had, sometimes by as many as 3 guys.

I'll wait for your disagreement which I am SURE is coming but that's the truth, the damn truth.

Or it was because of his usage and the type of coverage he saw. Because those same sucky WRs/TEs were on the field when he was outside too.

tbux

Rookie
simply put, he is better than anything we have outside- easily. he is a reliable target, good hands, and very explosive- couple that with Austin and others- we now have to be respected and defenses would be on their toes all day long. A mistake by any corner or safety could and prob would equal 6 points. I love that factor. Watkins and Givens burning the outside- safeties would have to play deep, and that leaves Tavon and Cook underneath one on one with a LB- I will take that all day every day. plenty options.

RFIP

Or it was because of his usage and the type of coverage he saw. Because those same sucky WRs/TEs were on the field when he was outside too.

MUCH easier to bracket a slot guy, especially when there is zero threat outside.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I agree that WRs seldom have huge numbers in their first year. But, just like those who want a tackle drafted as a guard now, and maybe a tackle later say, you don't draft for one year, you draft for the future.

It's just a matter of whether you think a G/T or a #1 WR provides the most benefit for the future.... as well as considering the talent of the individual players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
MUCH easier to bracket a slot guy, especially when there is zero threat outside.

Nah. It's actually more difficult to bracket a slot guy because you don't have the sideline to use as an extra defender.

RFIP

Nah. It's actually more difficult to bracket a slot guy because you don't have the sideline to use as an extra defender.

Well when the slot guy runs 5 yard routes it became very simple to bracket him inside too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well when the slot guy runs 5 yard routes it became very simple to bracket him inside too.

Why would you bother bracketing him if he's running 5 yard routes? But that would only support my point that it was usage that made him less effective in the slot.

tbux

Rookie
Why would you bother bracketing him if he's running 5 yard routes? But that would only support my point that it was usage that made him less effective in the slot.

what made him less effective were teams focusing on him because we had no viable outside threats to worry about. Stack the box, and stop the run and short routes- esp when Sam went down. The speed of Watkins and Givens on the outside would change all that- it would open up the middle and underneath- then D's would have to pick their poison.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
what made him less effective were teams focusing on him because we had no viable outside threats to worry about. Stack the box, and stop the run and short routes- esp when Sam went down. The speed of Watkins and Givens on the outside would change all that- it would open up the middle and underneath- then D's would have to pick their poison.

And yet we had no viable threats when he was on the outside and he was much more effective.