Roger Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The Snead era (2012- ) of drafting offensive linemen has been an abject failure and not resigning (btw Billy Devaney draft pick) Rodger Saffold. I want Snead's head on a pike.
Wow, seriously? That's a little over the top.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Snead era (2012- ) of drafting offensive linemen has been an abject failure and not resigning (btw Billy Devaney draft pick) Rodger Saffold. I want Snead's head on a pike.
I agree, but Havenstein had been a good hit until this last season.

I will have to admit that I would prefer that the Rams would have invested their big cap $$$ contracts in the OL with successful seasoned veterans but its a hard matter to work out. But instead the Rams have been depending on 2nd & 1st yr inexperienced OL'ers as of late.

1st & 2nd season youthful RB's/WR's & TE's normally fair much better than the younger OL'ers. It takes OL'ers much more time to begin to produce. Time these young OL'ers finally get it figured out like Noteboom, Allen, Evans, Edwards & Brewer ......their contracts are up & they head off into FA'cy market.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Snead's overseen drafts as the Rams GM since 2012 OL'ers:

Rokevious Watkins
Barrett Jones
Demetrius Rhaney
Mitchell Van Dyk
Greg Robinson
Cody Whichmann
Andrew Donnal
Jamon Brown
Rob Havenstein
Jamil Demby
Brian Allen
Joe Noteboom
David Edwards
Bobby Evans

At this point in time only one of the above drafted OL'ers has had any long time successful seasons in the NFL......Rob Havenstien.
Add Isaiah Battle, 2015 supplemental draft. Jamon Brown was a good pick, he was starting for the Falcons last year, 47 career starts.

I thought Kromer had a reputation for turning middle round picks into decent pro linemen? He must have input on the linemen we draft, so maybe that dynamic needs to change.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Snead's overseen drafts as the Rams GM since 2012 OL'ers:

Rokevious Watkins
Barrett Jones
Demetrius Rhaney
Mitchell Van Dyk
Greg Robinson
Cody Whichmann
Andrew Donnal
Jamon Brown
Rob Havenstein
Jamil Demby
Brian Allen
Joe Noteboom
David Edwards
Bobby Evans

At this point in time only one of the above drafted OL'ers has had any long time successful seasons in the NFL......Rob Havenstien.
I mean, I was more concerned about him wanting Snead dead, but we all have different priorities.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Add Isaiah Battle, 2015 supplemental draft. Jamon Brown was a good pick, he was starting for the Falcons last year, 47 career starts.

I thought Kromer had a reputation for turning middle round picks into decent pro linemen? He must have input on the linemen we draft, so maybe that dynamic needs to change.
Your sharp, yes I forgot about the 5th rd selection of OT Isaiah Battle.

I would not rate Jamon Brown as a good 3rd round selection for the Rams. More like a Okay pick. Browns 1st rookie season he ended up on the IR. His 2nd yr 2017 Brown opened the season as the starting right guard. He started all 16 games. However, JB was suspended & Blythe took over from there. Snead cut him early in his 3rd season.

Not sure about Kromers previous reputation on developmental skills of young OL'ers before he came here but I will say the jury is still out at this time in my man cave. I am very hopeful at this time on the Ram futures of OL'ers Edwards/ Evans & Brewer. Noteboom injury surely clouds this season just leaving 2021 as his final yr under Ram contract.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I can't really hold any of the Fisher era draft picks against Snead, i'm of the belief Fisher held the final decision on most all matters during his tenure.
Well, maybe i'll still hold Greg Robinson over his head, at least until proven otherwise.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Going into TC last July, it was noticeable that Havenstien was slow and out of shape. he had put on weight and looked flabby.

hopefully Kromer puts a boot up his ass and gives him an ultimatum to work his butt off this off season.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I agree, but Havenstein had been a good hit until this last season.

I will have to admit that I would prefer that the Rams would have invested their big cap $$$ contracts in the OL with successful seasoned veterans but its a hard matter to work out. But instead the Rams have been depending on 2nd & 1st yr inexperienced OL'ers as of late.

1st & 2nd season youthful RB's/WR's & TE's normally fair much better than the younger OL'ers. It takes OL'ers much more time to begin to produce. Time these young OL'ers finally get it figured out like Noteboom, Allen, Evans, Edwards & Brewer ......their contracts are up & they head off into FA'cy market.

It can take 3 to 4 years to learn how to play NFL o-line proficiently.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Going into TC last July, it was noticeable that Havenstien was slow and out of shape. he had put on weight and looked flabby.

hopefully Kromer puts a boot up his ass and gives him an ultimatum to work his butt off this off season.

If Rob Havenstein can not get his mojo back in pass protection then his worth to this Ram team dramatically diminishes. Known fact that RH has always had issues time to time with smaller quick lightning fast pass rushers. I am sure that Broncos Miller is a constant bedtime nightmare to RH. The history book report on RH is now a well known read for team DC's facing the Rams during regular season & its not a hard to understand report either.

RH still continues to be one of the better RT in making all the blocks on run plays. A run dominate team or a team with QB's who do not fall apart under duress like the Rams would be interested in RH & his moderate contract.

In looking for positives on this Ram team after such a disappointing 2019 season here is one.....Snead ( based on 2019 season) had two rookie OT's Bobby Evans & Chandler Brewer who have shown enough thus far to provide excellent hope for the future of the RT post IF RH does NOT return to 2017/2018 form.

On the con side RH is our most season experienced OL on this team at this time. Ram OL is in critical shortage of experienced OL'ers, a known condition to cause NFL pocket passing offenses an early death.

Thus, Rob Havenstein could become Snead pre draft or during draft day trade material. Something I will keep in my small brain cell until the end of the Rams draft.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I’ll admit Mcvay holding out Noteboom & Allen was head scratching. Showed such lack of depth. Seeing Jamal Demby going when Austin Blythe went down with an injury was hard to watch.
Austin Blythe going into the season as starting RG already had doubts as well. He did not win the job Jamin Brown lost it due to PeD ‘s ??? John Sullivan play center for
The Rams is underrated, still pissed at the holding call in the Super Bowl.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Rob Havenstein can not get his mojo back in pass protection then his worth to this Ram team dramatically diminishes. Known fact that RH has always had issues time to time with smaller quick lightning fast pass rushers. I am sure that Broncos Miller is a constant bedtime nightmare to RH. The history book report on RH is now a well known read for team DC's facing the Rams during regular season & its not a hard to understand report either.

RH still continues to be one of the better RT in making all the blocks on run plays. A run dominate team or a team with QB's who do not fall apart under duress like the Rams would be interested in RH & his moderate contract.

In looking for positives on this Ram team after such a disappointing 2019 season here is one.....Snead ( based on 2019 season) had two rookie OT's Bobby Evans & Chandler Brewer who have shown enough thus far to provide excellent hope for the future of the RT post IF RH does return to 2017/2018 form.

On the con side RH is our most season experienced OL on this team at this time. Ram OL is in critical shortage of experienced OL'ers, a known condition to cause NFL packet passing offenses an early death.

Thus, Rob Havenstein could become Snead pre draft or during draft day trade material. Something I will keep in my small brain cell until the end of the Rams draft.
I think Gurley is another player that could be moved.

RamsFan4Life

Rookie
I must have hallucenated all that scorn for the second coming of Jackie Slater, good old Rog.

I must have been dreaming about all those ill timed, drive killing, game losing false starts and holding penalties........

He was always a decent run blocker but he was such horrible pass blocker that teams could stack the box and we couldn't run for sh*t either......even with super blocker Rog.

Fork him. Wait until he jumps offsides on a critical 4th quarter drive and costs them a trip to the SB.

You won't be pining for his return or weeping over his departure then........

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Report: Rams didn't offer Rodger Saffold a contract last offseason
usatsi_8198781.jpg

Cameron DaSilva
4 hours ago

Rodger Saffold played the first nine years of his NFL career with the Rams, starting games at every offensive line position except center. He hit free agency last offseason and the Titans signed him to a four-year, $44 million deal that was presumably too rich for the Rams’ taste.
As it turns out, Los Angeles didn’t even try to re-sign Saffold when his contract expired last March. According to Peter Schrager of NFL Network, the Rams didn’t make an offer to Saffold last offseason.

To make matters worse, Schrager says all Saffold wanted was to be a Ram for life.

Saffold was one of the longest-tenured players on the team and not only was he a leader in the locker room, but he was one of the most important players on offense. Next to Andrew Whitworth, Saffold was a road-grading left guard who was also good in pass protection.
Losing him was a significant blow to the offense and his departure is part of the reason Jared Goff and Todd Gurley regressed in 2019.

The Rams didn’t have a ton of money to spend and also lost Lamarcus Joyner in free agency, but the reported lack of effort to keep Saffold is shocking, to say the least.

The good news for Saffold is A) he got paid, and B) he’s one win away from playing in his second consecutive Super Bowl.

I'd say if this isn't proof enough that Cameron DaSilva follows ROD, i'm not sure what it would take ...

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Report: Rams didn't offer Rodger Saffold a contract last offseason
Cameron DaSilva
4 hours ago

Rodger Saffold played the first nine years of his NFL career with the Rams, starting games at every offensive line position except center. He hit free agency last offseason and the Titans signed him to a four-year, $44 million deal that was presumably too rich for the Rams’ taste.
As it turns out, Los Angeles didn’t even try to re-sign Saffold when his contract expired last March. According to Peter Schrager of NFL Network, the Rams didn’t make an offer to Saffold last offseason.

To make matters worse, Schrager says all Saffold wanted was to be a Ram for life.

Wow, what an obvious mistake by McVay, Snead and Kromer.