Roger Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Scott Wells cost a few bucks and was an upgrade but couldn’t stay healthy if I remember correctly.
They had a string of luck finding guys....Mike G, then Andy McCollum and Tom Nutten (the most underrated signing of the GSoT era) on the cheap. But it more often than not doesn’t work.
Where are we at C for next year.
Allen....sort of reminded me of Barnes actually.
Shelton.
Need an upgrade. Wonder if Corbett will be given a shot there.

Corbett's my man right now, ... of course that could change quickly should free agency or the draft provide. Still, I believe Corbett was specifically brought in to compete with Allen, but he had no time to learn the plays, calls & signals prior to Allen going down, so sliding both Blythe and Edwards over and getting Corbett in at LG was the obvious move.
And back in 2015, they failed to see what they might of had with Eric Kush ...
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Scott Wells cost a few bucks and was an upgrade but couldn’t stay healthy if I remember correctly.
They had a string of luck finding guys....Mike G, then Andy McCollum and Tom Nutten (the most underrated signing of the GSoT era) on the cheap. But it more often than not doesn’t work.
Where are we at C for next year.
Allen....sort of reminded me of Barnes actually.
Shelton.
Need an upgrade. Wonder if Corbett will be given a shot there.
So many questions remain @ the moment on the future of this Ram OL. Rams have dealt out so many high $$$ contracts to QB/RB/WR's/TE & starved the foundation of good operational offense....the OL.

Obvious all that cap $$$ that was provided to those above skilled positions was wasted in 2019 in a sense without the OL first to permit those skilled players to function properly. I just do not understand this.:mad:

Saffold went on to greener pastures in TN.....Ram Org tried to fill Saffold's OG post with an LT Noteboom that plan was a failure....new plan was devised with another LT 6th OL'er Demby. The result failed.

Okay Rams go another revised plan @ LG, used another LT Edwards. Edwards did well but an issue elsewhere in the Ol caused that plan to be canned. Now on the fourth 2019 LG plan .....they moved in a brand new traded for LG named Austin Corbett.

What happen? Corbett gave the Rams OL the best long term solid play thus far @ LG ......now once again there're issues elsewhere on our 2020 OL .....so we are thinking that dumping Corbett out of his new home @ LG is a good decision so the Rams can start the same depressing process all over again @ LG in 2020?

Corbett's stands to be a good OC prospect, I would agree with that. However, at the same time there is a very good chance Corbett is the Rams best LG candidate too (which is my present position on this situation).

If you use Corbett to try to cure your ills @ OC then the LG has a gaping hole to fill, and so on & on....."kindergarten musical chairs play time event a pro level". I would prefer to build in 2020 on what Corbett has done late 2019 @ LG the last 8 gms.

I would hate to start all over again on trying to figure out who can play LG in 2020 when you have a gaping hole a few feet to the left of where Corbett played @ LT. Priority for this fan is for the Rams to have settled on at least two of the five starting OL posts (RT- Havenstein & LG- Corbett) for this upcoming season.

This just leaves the LT, RG & OC to resolve, is that not enough?

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Corbett might be a good OC prospect, but at the same time there is a very good chance Corbett is the Rams best LG candidate too, which is my present position on this situation. If you use Corbett to try to cure your ills @ OC then the LG has a gaping hole to fill, and so on & on.....

No gaping hole, Edwards looked more than fine when playing LG, and he came in and started with zero other NFL snaps at the time. ;)

Last edited:

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
The offensive line is the most important unit on a football team. A great O line makes average RBs good and gives average QBs time to do their job. And if you have great QBs and RBs a dominate O line makes them All Pros.
I believe that a O linemen should be taken in one of the top 3 rounds most years. A constant supply of big talented O linemen and your team will never be bad with good coaching.

fearsomefour

Legend
So many questions remain @ the moment on the future of this Ram OL. Rams have dealt out so many high $$$ contracts to QB/RB/WR's/TE & staved the foundation of good operational offense....the OL.

Obvious all that cap $$$ that was provided to those above skilled positions was wasted in 2019 in a sense without the OL first to permit those skilled players to function properly. I just do not understand this.:mad:

Corbett might be a good OC prospect, but at the same time there is a very good chance Corbett is the Rams best LG candidate too, which is my present position on this situation. If you use Corbett to try to cure your ills @ OC then the LG has a gaping hole to fill, and so on & on....."kindergarten musical chairs play time event a pro level".

I would hope that the Rams could at least build in 2020 on what Corbett has done late 2019 @ LG the last 8 gms.
I would hate to start all over again on trying to figure out who can play LG in 2020 when you have a gaping hole a few feet to the left of where Corbett played @ LT. You think the Rams would have settled a few of the OL post for this upcoming season!
Well, they had a plan and it failed.
It may succeed long term but to this point it’s been a dumpster fire.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No gaping hole, Edwards looked more than fine when playing LG, and he came in and started with zero other NFL snaps at the time. ;)
I fully understand your position on this & I agree with you on most of your positions on this OL. I am so glad I have you here to discuss such details with! You help keep me on my toes in discussion like this.

True David Edwards would make a dandy starting LG. I agree fully. However, I soundly believe at this time that Edwards will be fully involved with the duties & responsibilities as the starting 2020 LT post a much more serious OL post than LG or RG at this time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Does work, esp getting to the second level in the running game. Him and the LT in Tennessee get it done in the run game.
NFL record streak Henry is on.
Saffold certainly doing his part.

Saffold is getting it done there you are right on the money.

That OL is physical. I even commented in the GDT about it.

Rams Org preferred WR Brandon Cooks $81 mil. 5 yr deal over the LG Rodger Saffold $44 million 4 yr contract. That decision IMO (n):cry:. Rams Org. looking forward & hopefully learning from this major mistake.

Yeah in hindsight that looks like a bad choice.

Not to mention Adam Timmerman who they got in 1999.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The offensive line is the most important unit on a football team.
I believe that a O linemen should be taken in one of the top 3 rounds most years. A constant supply of big talented O linemen and your team will never be bad with good coaching.

It's even more acute when needing to protect a $134,000,000.00 QB, and the very future of your entire team.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I fully understand your position on this & I agree with you on most of your positions on this OL. I am so glad I have you here to discuss such details with! You help keep me on my toes in discussion like this.

True David Edwards would make a dandy starting LG. I agree fully. However, I soundly believe at this time that Edwards will be fully involved with the duties & responsibilities as the starting 2020 LT post a much more serious OL post than LG or RG at this time.

Are you of the belief that Whitworth won't be returning ? Or just contemplating our situation if he doesn't ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no idea where the idea "Notebook (or Allen) was ready to go" came from. Quality OL doesn't fall from trees, and has a huge impact on everything. We should've done whatever it took to keep Saffold and invested more heavliy in OL depth and eventual replacements.

I really hope the Rams' FO learned something critical from this.

last season is gone, a long with Saffold. The Rams already went into the draft & traded for Corbett. I think it is all about molding these players.

no way you go younger again with draft picks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Are you of the belief that Whitworth won't be returning ?
Correct

I would prefer that he does return with the plan that he would start @ LT till the bye but that cost will hurt the team in other positions too. Paying big for a temporary patched up short term semi fix just does not sound like the right move.

The positive side of a return of AW buys the Rams some additional time to get this critical blind side protection post in a better situation.

Plan #1 would be until Joseph Noteboom gets healthy. The damage to that knee of Noteboom remains unknown, but we do know that he at least tore both MCL & ACL with the surgery taking place late October 2019. Just not sure how much time would be expected to take a lineman to fully rehab that knee & then get into NFL strength & playing condition. In addition to the previous stated tasks of JN will need to retrain himself for LT protection duties instead of the OG duties he trained in 2019.

Plan #2 involves OT David Edwards. Programmed on getting Edwards the needed time in OTA's/TC & Preseason & selected offensive series early in regular season & regular season practice to take over the LT post at some point in time in 2020 for the nearly 39 yr old AW.

Last edited:

MarkyMark

Rams fan for Life!!
Name
Mark
I decided yesterday I'm gonna root for Tennessee to win the Super Bowl, because of big Rodger. He deserves it. He was a excellent player and a great person. When the Rams were highlighted on Hard Knocks I really appreciate Rodger Saffold.....just a good guy. We should've retained him for sure.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope you mean with potential OL starters, because depth can always use new competition.

I just don’t see The Rams adding a starting type O”lineman or draft one

—My believe is Whitworth resigns.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We had Noteboom ready to go and obviously had a couple of OL in mind to take in the draft. Hindsight 20/20, who knew Noteboom would be out for the season and Blythe would regress at G the way he did (partially due to injuries). Rams made the cost effective choice at the time.

Noteboom was obviously no Saffold. The way it was reported was that the Rams thought they wouldn't be able to afford him but once he signed with Tennessee it turned out to not b e as costly as they thought. I was nothing from Now that made me think he could fill that void..

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Or not. Some of us thought that retaining Saffold was actually pretty critical. At the moment failing to do so is looking more like the Bengals' decision to let Whitworth walk (though the Titans have other good linemen too.)

Instead we spent the money on defensive players, but the D was inconsistent and never pulled it together for a stretch run.

At the end of the day the o-line was a problem all year, never really opening the run game and forcing us into a higher percentage of passing downs than almost any (or maybe any) other team.

In the big picture this was not exactly cost effective.
Admittedly, I trusted that Phillips would more than make up for it on the defensive side of the ball, and boy was I wrong.

I guess that’s why he’s no longer with the team.

Does crow taste like chicken?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
More like the insides of a down pillow i'd think, well, ... at least until you get past the feathers.
Yeah, it’s an old joke, but you can hunt crow in Missouri.

My first successful hunt with my dad too :)

The feathers are annoying no doubt, and there’s not much meat, but it really doesn’t taste bad at all

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
The Snead era (2012- ) of drafting offensive linemen has been an abject failure and not resigning (btw Billy Devaney draft pick) Rodger Saffold. I want Snead's head on a pike.