Rob Havenstein #1 at tackle in Pass block win rate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
In fairness, Saffold was injured a lot earlier in his career. Then, for whatever reasons, the injuries just stopped ... and so did people wanting him gone.
Saffold was an interesting case because he had deficiencies in his shoulder structure that were able to be corrected with proper surgery.
After he had the surgeries, he's been a pro bowl level guard.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
In fairness, Saffold was injured a lot earlier in his career. Then, for whatever reasons, the injuries just stopped ... and so did people wanting him gone.
That's what happened to Havenstein. He was injured a couple of years ago, tried to play through it, got beat more than a few times. Rams didn't talk much about his injury but it required post season surgery I believe. Posters said he sucked.

Oh yeah, and that guy named Allen played a few games, got seriously injured, missed a year and a half. Posters agreed that Allen sucked too.

Now both are leading the way for the best offensive line we've had since McVay's first year and one of the best in the league at this point.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That's what happened to Havenstein. He was injured a couple of years ago, tried to play through it, got beat more than a few times. Rams didn't talk much about his injury but it required post season surgery I believe. Posters said he sucked.

Oh yeah, and that guy named Allen played a few games, got seriously injured, missed a year and a half. Posters agreed that Allen sucked too.

Now both are leading the way for the best offensive line we've had since McVay's first year and one of the best in the league at this point.

In Allen's defense, he had a miscast Noteboom on one side, and if I remember correctly, he had Jamil fucking Demby on his other side, and he was a first year starter. Poor guy never stood a chance even before the injury. But I think it was still fair for people to wonder if he would ever work out before he emphatically proved he could this season.

One of the things I love about Brian Allen 2.0 is he put all that shit behind him and fought like a mutha to retain his job and worked his way into being a quality C and solving one of our most pressing needs without us resorting to outside help. Any player that has a rough patch and wants to rebuild their career should take a good look at Allen.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
In Allen's defense, he had a miscast Noteboom on one side, and if I remember correctly, he had Jamil fucking Demby on his other side, and he was a first year starter. Poor guy never stood a chance even before the injury. But I think it was still fair for people to wonder if he would ever work out before he emphatically proved he could this season.

One of the things I love about Brian Allen 2.0 is he put all that shit behind him and fought like a mutha to retain his job and worked his way into being a quality C and solving one of our most pressing needs without us resorting to outside help. Any player that has a rough patch and wants to rebuild their career should take a good look at Allen.
Strong post.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just taking a wild-ass guess here but I would say that Havenstien's restructure included an extension.
It did not. They moved base pay to bonuses put after 2022 and included voidable years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well first off the guy has improved enormously this season. His pass rush sets are so much smoother and he's just a more confident guy too on top of that. I noticed in an interview he did before the season he just seemed far more confident than I had seen him, with an almost sarcastic type air to him. In hindsight I think he was feeling it and knew this was coming. So really happy with how he's playing.

Secondly I can only think of one maybe two posters I've seen who actually may be hating on the guy. Outside of them it was just discussion of what might happen, that he might be a trade piece. But you know how forums go...

Poster 1
"Thinking that Havenstein may be a guy they move this offseason, he's got a good cap number and they might have internal options that can fill what he's giving us."

Posters 2-10
"WHY DO YOU WANT TO MOVE HAV!?"
"I don't get the Havenstein hate."
"Everyone disrespecting Hav is BS."
Etc, etc.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Still waiting for Oldnotdead to chime in

Clock Tick Tock GIF by MOODMAN

jap

Legend
Remember Havs rookie season when we referred to him as "Jaws" ... a la Jaws in the James Bond movie series franchise? ;-)

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
t's a beautiful thing when us armchair fans think we know more than we do and then the team and their professionals stick to their guns and are proven right.
Indeed it is. And I have been guilty and proven wrong more than once.
I think us as Ram fans have seen our team be wrong so much in the past
that we are still suspicious of a lot of moves McSnead put together.

I can't name a team who puts more effort into giving their team a chance to win a Championship.

And one day if we succeed I think Mcvay should be on our ring of honor.

However, I think Snead should be on our ring of honor twice.
One for him and then another just for his Balls :fistbump1: :giggle:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Reminds me of when fans wanted Saffold gone too early. He is now a top LG in the league and has blocked for Steven Jackson, Gurly and now Henry,m.

I never understood that. Saffold came out and said, "yeah, the Docs say I got a congenital problem with my shoulders and the fix actually is making them much stronger. No, I'm not gonna preemptively fix the other one, but we'll let it fail on its own and then fix it after."

That was the whole point. Once his shoulders were fully repaired, he was golden and of all the guys who're gone, I can't imagine how good this team would be if we still had Saffold...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm just taking a wild-ass guess here but I would say that Havenstien's restructure included an extension.

It did not.

However, it does send a message that of all the places to draw money, they pushed HIS money forward. I know they used a lot to maneuver this off-season, but yeah... we're keeping Hav, Von Miller, Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen... at least... I suspect Austin Corbett as well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I never understood that. Saffold came out and said, "yeah, the Docs say I got a congenital problem with my shoulders and the fix actually is making them much stronger. No, I'm not gonna preemptively fix the other one, but we'll let it fail on its own and then fix it after."

That was the whole point. Once his shoulders were fully repaired, he was golden and of all the guys who're gone, I can't imagine how good this team would be if we still had Saffold...
I can imagine they’d be about 10-million heavier in the cap.
For what he cost in picks & dollars, I absolutely love Corbett.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If the Rams can extend Havenstein, his 2022 CAP savings could be as high as $6.mil
If the Rams can extend Stafford, his 2022 CAP savings could be as high as $10. mil
If Whitworth retires as expected, his 2022 CAP savings would be near $13. mil.
Overall net rise of the NFL's 2022 CAP = ?
The 2022 Draft may also displace another mid-level roster spot or two which = more CAP savings.

Now, when calculating the first year CAP hit for players entering new long term extensions, guys like Von Miller, Noteboom, Allen & Corbett, it appears tight but affordable at first glance, although much will depend on how high the overall NFL CAP rises next year with the new $1.bil Prime Video TNF contract and including a 2021 season with butts back in their stadium seats.

jmo.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I also think Robinson won't be back next year and that'll free up some money

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You're not wrong, but some fans are trying a combo GM/Skip Bayless impression. Comically bad takes that they won't drop in the face of cost evidence they're wrong. I never see those posts, thank God for the ignore feature, but they are out there.
I tend not to call out the mistakes so much. People are throwing darts sometimes. We’ve all had our bad ideas and some good ones. Even our local draft gods have had terrible misses, that others felt were obvious.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Yep these NFL GMs are infallible alright. Just look at the Lions, Jets, Rams about 910 years ago, Dolphins, and Jaguars. :eyeroll:

Btw I never advocated ditching Rob. Who could they have replaced him with? But come on man. Let people play GM. If its fun for them and makes them happy then I don't see the problem.
I'm ok with them being GM, but as a married guy, if I'm right, I'm bragging about that shit lmao

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I tend not to call out the mistakes so much. People are throwing darts sometimes. We’ve all had our bad ideas and some good ones. Even our local draft gods have had terrible misses, that others felt were obvious.
I agree. It has to be pretty egregious to be called out. Even then I don't think it's to crap on anybody or make them feel bad.

All that being said, I think I'm getting too comfortable posting my opinions on here. I'm probably going to go silent for a little while to make sure I don't do or say anything stupid.

Ram65

Legend
He worked hard at getting quicker off the snap in the off-season. You can really see it in his play. Being healthy helps a lot too. He looks like he lost a few LBs. Great resigning at a good price by the Rams.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I concur here as some including yours truly wasn't sure about losing Aaron Kromer and adding Kevin Carberry plus Carberry had COVID during preseason too. Overall with Brian Allen exceeding expectations and the improvement of Big Rob, the unit is rated #4 overall according to PFF.

Kudos to McVay for the hire of Carberry and his assistant Nick Jones, who was Stafford's center in college at Georgia. BTW the only hiccup I see is that Bobby Evans is still bad and Alaric Jackson had issues too against Houston. Noteboom played really well, so hopefully the Rams will be able to retain, Boom, Allen & Austin Corbett in 2022.
At this point in time, I see Carberry planning to work in Alaric Jackson working primarily @ RG. The reason is I just do not see the resign of Austin Corbett after this season. Tremayne Anchrum & Alaric Jackson have the talent to blend into this 2022 Ram OL as a starting RG. However, I would never count out Coleman Shelton either. Coleman Shelton is sure to be resigned as RFA with some cost but he does add get comfort in the reserve interior posts.

It's evident by a far degree Bobby Evans is far more swing OT than swing OG period & should not ever see any plan to use him as an interior OL'er....ever! Working with Max Pircher as the main swing OT to Hav & Noteboom next season.

Snead is sure to target both OC Allen & LT Noteboom in UFA'cy.