River's 2023 Mock 2.0 ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This should be my final 2023 season mock until the Combine is complete.

I'm sticking with previous posted thoughts about avoiding Free Agents this next year due to CAP limitations and to preserve future Compensation picks we are likely to to receive from free agency losses following our 2022 season. The only outside free agents I'm even looking at are Edge Arden Key and our own OBj, and that's only if they come cheap enough to not have an adverse affect for comp picks the following year. I give them both incentive laden contracts, and OBj would be on a one year prove-it deal.

My one and only big trade offer for an outsider remains with the Rams taking another shot at Edge Brian Burns, and for him to negotiate a new long term contract so we don't compound the mistake we made with Von Miller. I only move Floyd if we land Burns or another top young Edge, and for this I'm willing to use our 2024/2025 top draft picks to secure the deal.

I'll be going ahead with trading 3 of our current players for additional draft capital which will be above and beyond what we may be already slated to receive, as well as an assumption that our D.C. Raheem Morris will be lost to another team when he's named a Head Coach.
So it now looks like our draft, with expected comp additions, will consist of up to 10 players chosen, ... but thru trades, I'm getting us 4 new draft picks to bring our total up to 14. Moving Raheem Morris will bring us a 2023 3'rd round comp pick, moving down from the Rams 6'th overall pick in the 2'nd round will garner us a lower 2'nd and an additional 3'rd rounder, trading Floyd will bring us a 3'rd, trading Higbee will get us a 4'th, and trading Van Jefferson gets us a 5'th.

#1) 0
#2) 1
#3) 1
#4) 0
#5) 2
#6) 4
#7) 2

After trades our draft will appear as so ...

#1) 0
#2) 1
#3) 4
#4) 1
#5) 3
#6) 4
#7) 2

My 2023 Draft :

1 - N/A
2 - CB Christian Gonzalez, Or.
3a - C/OG Ricky Stromberg, Ark.
3b - TE Luke Musgrave, Or. St. (trade down from higher 2’nd)
3c - OT Darnell Wright, Tn. (Floyd trade)
3d - S Rashad Torrence ll, Fl. (Comp pick for Raheem Morris)
4 - DT Kobie Turner, W.F. (Higbee trade)
5a - RB Chris Rodriguez, Ky. (Van Jefferson trade)
5b - CB Avery Young, Rut. (Comp)
5c - TE Noah Gindorff, N.D. St. (Comp)
6a - WR Tyler Harrell, Ala.
6b - RB Rashon Johnson, Tx.
6c - S DeMarco Hellams, Ala.
6d - OLB Brenton Cox Jr., Fl. (Comp)

Our two 7'th round picks can be used to move up another pick or used in any manner you choose.

You may notice a few changes from my earlier mock a couple of months ago as 3 past players have chosen to remain in college next year.

Re-Sign :

QB Baker Mayfield (if the price is right)
DT Greg Gaines
CB Grant Haley
WR/R Brandon Powell
K Matt Gay
P Riley Dixon
LS Matt Orzech

All RFA’s & ERFA’s return :

Marquise Copeland - ERFA
Christian Rozeboom - ERFA
Travin Howard - ERFA
Michael Hoecht - ERFA
Bryce Perkins - ERFA
Shaun Jolly - ERFA
John Wolford - RFA

Returning contracted Practice Squad players :

WR Jacob Harris
WR Austin Trammell
RB Ronnie Rivers
TE/FB Roger Carter
OLB Kier Thomas
OLB Brayden Thomas
DE TJ Carter
DE Earnest Brown IV
TE Jared Pinkney
OL Chandler Brewer
OL Ty Nsekhe
OL Matt Skura
OG Okay Oboushi
OT Max Pircher

Rams Players lost to Free Agency :

DT - A’Shawn Robinson
CB Troy Hill
OT/OG - David Edwards
S - Nick Scott
S - Taylor Rapp
RB - Darrell Henderson
CB - David Long
RB - Malcolm Brown
S/LB - Jake Gervase
OG/OT - Bobby Evans

Free Agent Acquisitions :

Edge - Arden Key (3 years)
WR - OBj, on a prove it one year contract

Rams 2023 depth chart for the 53 Roster :

Offense (25) :

QB (2)

Matt Stafford
Baker Mayfield

Offensive Line (9) :

LT) Jackson, Nsehke, Darnell Wright*, (Noteboom upon return)
LG) Stromberg*, Shelton, Anchrum
C) Allen, Shelton, Stromberg*
RG) Bruss, Anchrum
RT) Havenstein, Darnell Wright*

RB's (4) :

Cam Akers
Kyren Williams
Chris Rodriguez*
Rashon Johnson*

WR's (6) :

Cooper Kupp
Allen Robinson
OBj**
Ben Skowronek
Tutu Atwell
Brandon Powell

TE's (4) :

Brycen Hopkins
Luke Musgrave*
Noah Gindorff*
Roger Carter

Defense (25) :

Defensive Line (5) :

Aaron Donald
Greg Gaines
Bobby Brown
Kobie Turner*
Marquise Copeland

OLB (5) :

Brian Burns**
Arden Key**
Mike Hoecht
Daniel Hardy
Brenton Cox*

ILB (4) :

Bobby Wagner
Ernest Jones
Jake Hummel
Travin Howard

CB (6) :

Jalen Ramsey
Christian Gonzalez*
Robert Rochelle
Cobie Durant
Grant Haley
Avery Young*, or Derion Kendrick

Safety (5) :

Jordan Fuller
Rashad Torrence, Fl.*
Quintin Lake
Russ Yeast
DeMarco Hellams*

Special Teams (3)

Matt Gay
Riley Dixon
Mathew Orzech

* signifies rookie
** signifies veteran trade or free agent

See you at the 2023 Super Bowl

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I agree that a the top value at pick #37 for a need position may very well be a CB.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think Gonzalez is probably gone by the time the Rams pick.. but I'm with you that a Corner is probably the highest priority in the draft.

I do disagree with trading Floyd.. even if you bring in a star, you need a second edge who is high quality and Floyd is high quality.
I don't see them trading Jefferson.
Avery Young is interesting.. kind of a tweener.. a little like Trumaine Johnson was... would be incredible value in the 5th, imo.
I think 13 picks is too many... I think I'd cap out at 11.

Interesting stuff!
I'm encouraged that Lake and Yeast look like guys who can play... sooooo much depends on what Fuller's prognosis is.. and whether the Rams think they can trust his health. If not? MUST bring in another vet into the rotation.

Rapp may be a guy you bring back, if the price is right... but I think that's the wrong fit. They need a guy they can trust deep.

Fun and thorough exercise here. Very aggressive when it comes to trades.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think Gonzalez is probably gone by the time the Rams pick.. but I'm with you that a Corner is probably the highest priority in the draft.

I do disagree with trading Floyd.. even if you bring in a star, you need a second edge who is high quality and Floyd is high quality.
I don't see them trading Jefferson.
Avery Young is interesting.. kind of a tweener.. a little like Trumaine Johnson was... would be incredible value in the 5th, imo.
I think 13 picks is too many... I think I'd cap out at 11.

Interesting stuff!
I'm encouraged that Lake and Yeast look like guys who can play... sooooo much depends on what Fuller's prognosis is.. and whether the Rams think they can trust his health. If not? MUST bring in another vet into the rotation.

Rapp may be a guy you bring back, if the price is right... but I think that's the wrong fit. They need a guy they can trust deep.

Fun and thorough exercise here. Very aggressive when it comes to trades.

Gonzalez may just go in the later part of the 1'st round, but until the Combine shakes things out a bit, I'll consider him a mid 2'nd presently.
Most of the comments directed at me for suggesting we trade Floyd, Higbee & Van Jefferson in my first mock a couple of months ago as well as my postings on the Rams/NFL forum have not been favorable, but Higbee & Van Jeff will likely be history after the 2023 season from becoming free agents, and Floyd/Higbee will be 31 years old next season. All 3 players possess some tradeable value and savings as we enter a poor CAP situation, so I still favor moving these guys while we can and draft our much younger future at TE. Floyd would be replaced by way of trade (Brian Burns) and a second, far less expensive Edge (Arden Key) is brought in during free agency to compete with Hoecht. Van Jeff is an affordable loss as he's become an health/injury liability and we are deep at WR, also I am bringing back OBj on an incentive laden 1 year prove-it contract.
I too like what we've seen from Lake & Yeast so far, and maintain that Rapp will be too expensive to re-sign, ... I've drafted 2 Safeties in this mock and am doing the best I can to avoid expensive outside free agents that would void our 2024 Comp picks we should receive for A'Shawn Robinson, Rapp & possibly Mayfield & Gaines.
Thanks for the reply to my mock, much appreciated.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think to get Burns the Rams would have to start with 2023 2nd round, 2024 1st round & 2025 1st round, plus plus

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think to get Burns the Rams would have to start with 2023 2nd round, 2024 1st round & 2025 1st round, plus plus

I hope not, I don't wish to sacrifice any of our 2023 picks. I don't know what Carolina will ultimately do, but they are struggling with their CAP next off-season. They have no starting QB and they have a WR which carries a huge dead money hit if they choose to move him. Acquiring future #1 draft picks may solve their current crisis going forward. The Austin Corbett injury may keep him unavailable at the beginning of the season, and interim Head Coach Steve Wilks may soon be on unemployment.
Brian Burns could offer an alternative for them.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope not, I don't wish to sacrifice any of our 2023 picks. I don't know what Carolina will ultimately do, but they are struggling with their CAP next off-season. They have no starting QB and they have a WR which carries a huge dead money hit if they choose to move him. Acquiring future #1 draft picks may solve their current crisis going forward. The Austin Corbett injury may keep him unavailable at the beginning of the season, and interim Head Coach Steve Wilks may soon be on unemployment.
Brian Burns could offer an alternative for them.
They really arent in that bad of shape, there are contracts which can be re-worked, namely Brian Burns himself.
Sign him to an extension with big signing bonus, can lower his 16mill cap hit. DJ Moore could restructure easily as well.
No way Rams can make a "big" trade without that 2023 2nd rounder being included

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
River:

Lotta great work. I love that you went after three key positions in a row on your mock. Doubling up on a TE and a CB is also a good idea this year. Not getting a RB immediately (but still getting one) is also a move I like.

As for who the Rams re-sign vs let walk, it might be splitting hairs, but I think Rochell can go if you’re drafting two more corners. He pissed me off not downing that punt (I believe he botched another one earlier or the game before) and he couldn’t get on the field ahead of Long and two rookies. At a time when so many guys are playing for jobs next year…

Maybe I’m spoiled by the johnny Hekker glory days, but I wouldn’t spend too much keeping Dixon.

Again, I’d be stoked if the Rams could pull off grabbing those first 3 picks you have.

Just one question:
Of all of your picks, who if anybody would you guess would be the next star the Rams could build around?
They need one this draft. They haven’t drafted one since Kupp. In fact, he’s the ONLY one the McVay/Snead regime has drafted.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
River:

Lotta great work. I love that you went after three key positions in a row on your mock. Doubling up on a TE and a CB is also a good idea this year. Not getting a RB immediately (but still getting one) is also a move I like.

As for who the Rams re-sign vs let walk, it might be splitting hairs, but I think Rochell can go if you’re drafting two more corners. He pissed me off not downing that punt (I believe he botched another one earlier or the game before) and he couldn’t get on the field ahead of Long and two rookies. At a time when so many guys are playing for jobs next year…

Maybe I’m spoiled by the johnny Hekker glory days, but I wouldn’t spend too much keeping Dixon.

Again, I’d be stoked if the Rams could pull off grabbing those first 3 picks you have.

Just one question:
Of all of your picks, who if anybody would you guess would be the next star the Rams could build around?
They need one this draft. They haven’t drafted one since Kupp. In fact, he’s the ONLY one the McVay/Snead regime has drafted.

Thanks for the great reply. Besides doubling down at CB and TE, I did this also at RB and Safety. I'm trying to go out of my way to avoid any expensive outside free agency acquisitions, so my reliance on the draft to restock is greater than most years.
Rochell is under contract thru the end of the 2024 season, and he's pretty inexpensive, so his opportunity to develop still exists, if we have new coaches on defense next year, perhaps a light turns on for him.
Doubtful Dixon gets a huge payday imo, but he's decent enough at a reasonable price.
6 of my 6 top picks may very well move up after the Combine, although I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Of all the picks, I think Christian Gonzalez could truly bring greatness, and being mentored by Ramsey for a year or two makes for a very solid duo. Still, I don't want to discount these other prospects, I see this as quite a nice class for our depth needs.

jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Post Senior Bowl Draft adjustment. Previous trades remain applicable.

1 - N/A
2 - Trade down for extra 3’rd - OT Darnell Wright, Tn.
3a - TE Luke Musgrave, Or. St. (traded down from higher 2’nd)
3b - C/OG Cody Mauch, NDSU or C/OG Ricky Stromberg, Ark.
3c - S Rashad Torrence ll, Fl. (Floyd trade)
3d - CB Kyu Blu Kelly, Stan. (Comp pick for Raheem Morris)
4 - DL Adetomiwa Adebawore, N.W. or Kobie Turner, W.F. (Higbee trade)
5b - CB Avery Young, Rut. (Comp)
6a - RB Rashon Johnson, Tx.
6b - S Sydney Brown, Il.
6c - WR Elijah Higgins, Stan.

Re-sign :

QB Baker Mayfield
DT Greg Gaines
CB Grant Haley
WR/R Brandon Powell
K Matt Gay
P Riley Dixon
LS Matt Orzech

2 Free Agents :

Edge Arden Key
WR OBj

Trade

Rams 2023 & 2024 1'st round draft picks for Edge Brian Burns

According to the ‘Athletic’, Musgrave was clocked at 20 mph in practice. That’s absurd considering he’s a 255-pound tight end. Tyler Higbee has lost a step and is no longer the threat down the seam that he used to be. Musgrave would be a nice addition and potential starter in Year 2.

Last edited:

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Did Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon fall out of favor?
I believe it's more that he's already starting his rise up the board with some already putting him in the top 15 which is nowhere near where we're drafting.
~ArkyRamsFan~

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Did Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon fall out of favor?

Not at all, ... quite the opposite actually. His rise up the board has pretty much made him an impossibility at this point and someone is going to acquire a top young talent imo.
When I was first looking him over as a prospect he was registering as a mid-2'nd rounder, now he's being considered as a mid-1'st which is definitely out of our range. Unfortunately, a few of my picks are entering territory where it may be difficult to land them, and we still have the Combine coming up.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm too lazy to go back thru it all, but where do the Rams get a 1st round pick from?

That was a mistake which should have read 2024/2025. It may not cost us two future 1'st round picks if Snead finds a quality Edge to trade for other than Brian Burns, that price is pretty much reserved only for him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I never did use our two 7'th round draft picks, so I'll now go with K Jake Moody at 7a.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Latest Draft Adjustment, previous trades remain applicable.

2023 Draft :

1 - N/A
2 Trade down for extra 3’rd - OT Darnell Wright, Tn.
3a - TE Luke Musgrave, Or. St. (trade down from higher 2’nd)
3b - C/OG Cody Mauch, NDSU or C/OG Ricky Stromberg, Ark.
3c - CB Kyu Blu Kelly, Stan. (Floyd trade)
3d - S Sydney Brown, Il. (Comp pick for Raheem Morris)
4 - DL Adetomiwa Adebawawore, N.W., or Cobie Turner, W.F.(Higbee trade)
5b - RB Rashon Johnson, Tx. (Comp)
6a - WR Elijah Higgins, Stan.
6b - CB Cameron Brown, Oh.St.
6c - S DeMarcco Hellams, Al.
7 - K Jake Moody, Mi.

Re-sign :

QB Baker Mayfield
DT Greg Gaines
CB Grant Haley
P Riley Dixon
LS Matt Orzech

2 Free Agents :

Edge Arden Key
WR OBj

Trade

Rams 2024 & 2025 1'st round draft picks for Edge Brian Burns or something less for another top young Edge.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
River:

You remain high on musgrave but then say he COULD be a starter by year 2. If the Rams are gonna trade (or release) Higbee, someone has to come in and start THIS season.

What are your thoughts on the TEs from utah and notre dame?