RIP John Madden

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hard to think football without conjuring up Maddenisms. And here you have a guy... RIP Mr. Madden. You have left a great legacy.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I heard a funny clip of Madden's this morning that reminded me of how entertaining he was when he called the games.

Apparently, at the time this clip was recorded, the network John was working for was airing the show Cops. It must've been like the 1st year it aired and the network was running a plug for the show while John was live in the booth still calling the game.

So Big John tells everyone watching the game... "I have this Cops show figured out now. Look for the guy in the show who doesn't have his shirt on... That's the guy the cops are after!".

Hahahahahahaaaaa

John always blessed us with solid facts.

Tano

Legend
I loved Scully when he was doing football announcing but Summarall and Madden were the best

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Their SB win against the Vikings was the first SB game I watched from start-to-finish.

Summerall-Madden has to be an all-time broadcast pairing. They were both great at their respective roles and let the other guy do what he was good at.

AZRams

And how many other hundreds of hours of similar stuff there must be...

the sopranos smile GIF

AZRams

If Summerall-Madden were calling a game, you knew it was important, and it'd be fun too.

Also: Madden had a serious football man-crush on Robert Delpino.
Who didn't?

;)

As Olbermann once said of it, "Delpino Envy."

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Still remember seeing this live on TV, I was 13 years old and visiting my grandparents in Mission Viejo. Pissed me off to see Gastineau's BS, so glad he finally got called out for it.

Liked how Gastoneau stormed off and sulked on his own on the Jets bench. Zero teammates came by to lend support. Maybe they too recognized he was a showboating prick who had it coming.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My mom was a big football fan.She was both a Raiders Fan & Rams Fan.

She loved George Blanda.

Then again I was a big Raiders &A’s Fan as a kid.I’d say some of the Best teams & Characters in Sports History as I knew it.
That Mets team in the 80’s

Then again I always liked The Rams as well. Otis Sistrunk & Kenny Stabler.

Had a 12 & 85 jersey growing up.Jack Youngblood was her all time favorite player. As much as I was a Rams Fan,I never liked Ram Fans. Really negative during games when a player didn’t do well.The OC move ? Always a QB controversy it seemed.

Each coach had there own style.I’ve always been a Rams Fan,but liked the Raiders more under Madden.His teams were more entertaining to me.
We never had a choice to choose basically of games. I’m sure there were a couple times you had to choose. Don’t think remote controls were a thing back then.

As an announcer he was entertaining as well. Was never a big gamer,but had an Madden in early 90’ s

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Still remember seeing this live on TV, I was 13 years old and visiting my grandparents in Mission Viejo. Pissed me off to see Gastineau's BS, so glad he finally got called out for it.

Liked how Gastoneau stormed off and sulked on his own on the Jets bench. Zero teammates came by to lend support. Maybe they too recognized he was a showboating prick who had it coming.

16 years old for me and I remember watching that too.

I also remember being very proud of our Bois for not putting up with that bullshit.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm watching the documentary right now. Gih. I really need to dust the room.

BlackSheep

UDFA
"He's got the biggest CANKLES in the world." One of the all time great Maddenisms describing our very own Jeff Zgonina.
Do yourselves a favor and rewatch our 99 divisional round game against the vikes on you tube. Madden and Summerall on the call. You'll learn what the "Kill Kurt" drill was and relive why these guys were so great. They narrated our run to our first SB victory (they did the NFCC game as well of course). Being my age I remember him as a coach, broadcaster, the games, the madden cruiser, turducken, and the list goes on and on.
RIP John Madden
BOOM!