RIP John Madden

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Madden and Summerall are who I remember most in the booth when I got into the NFL mid 80s.
I'm looking forward to seeing his documentary.
I guess now it serves as a kind of tribute in a way.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Watching that special on Christmas Day, I said to my wife, is Madden ill? Something is up and then this. A great coach & even better human being. Loved everything he did.
1640752232251.png

NCRamGuy

Rookie
Name
ManmadeRam
Let's be honest, we all play his games. I remember watching him as a young sprout narrating games and giving the X's and O's explanation. They guy really was and IS a football legend. Half of the game wouldn't be the way it is without him.. RiP Madden and thank you for putting Gaulk on the 2001 madden cover.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
One of the first announcers to really explain the game beyond the obvious so that fans could get a deeper understanding. RIP John.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I will always remember the 99' NFCCG... Rams trailing 6-5, about 4 min left. Rams on about the 34 yard line on 3rd & 4. Wilkins had a bad leg, so settling for a FG was a big concern.

Warner steps to the line...and Madden says something to the affect of "Well it's time for someone to make a play to win this game"... And then the great throw & catch by Proehl. Great timing as he had a great feel for the game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Grew up admiring the coach of some of the greatest Oakland Raiders teams ever.
He must have been the most fun HC to play for too. I imagine his halftime speeches and shit were endlessly entertaining. :laugh2:

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Many fond memories of this man. I loved his commentary, when I was younger.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
If Summerall-Madden were calling a game, you knew it was important, and it'd be fun too.

Also: Madden had a serious football man-crush on Robert Delpino.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
John Madden and Pat Summerall… Their voices filled the room the way a good meal smells when cooking. It was perfect.

Boom in peace, John Madden. You will be missed.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
RIP John Madden. Great coach. Great commentator. Great ambassador for the game. I grew up on Summerall & Madden watching the game of the week down here. He just made it fun.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My favorite Madden-story. Rams specific.

Game One of the 1983 Season. Rams at NY Giants. First game of Eric Dickerson's career; and the first game of the coaching careers for both John Robinson (Madden's life-long-friend) and Bill Parcells.

Robinson and his Defensive Coordinator (Fritz Shurmur) had gone to a 3-4-Defense; and I was convinced that Jack Youngblood would be an awful-fit as a 3-4-DE ... just too light at 245 lbs. Boy, was I wrong.

It's a competitive game but the Rams have a fourth-quarter-lead. The Giants need to score and Youngblood sacks QB Scott Brunner. Madden goes-off on what a terrific-player Youngblood has been for a long time; and then points-out that he has dirt on the front of his pants. The Meadowlands had artificial-turf ... No Dirt. Madden jokes that Youngblood is such a throw-back player, he brought dirt from California to New York and rubbed it on his uniform because football players get dirty.

Good Laugh.

One or two plays later, Youngblood seals the victory with another sack; and the camera does a close-up.

There's no dirt on his pants. It's Blood! I thought Madden was having an orgasm. He was thrilled. Screams 'That's not dirt ... that's blood!" ... praising Youngblood as the quintessential football-player.

It was great.
Hell yes. Great post!!

I became profoundly sad at the news of John’s passing. There will never be another Madden. Rest In Peace, John.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
John Madden and Pat Summerall… Their voices filled the room the way a good meal smells when cooking. It was perfect.

Boom in peace, John Madden. You will be missed.
And it was my job to go outside in the frosty Alaska winters with the pipe wrench and twist the Antenna pipe around to one our 3 local stations -- specifically, CBS on channel 11 to get the Rams game. I couldn't see the picture from outside when I obtained the signal, but I could hear their voices. It was time for Rams football baby!
When I think of my childhood and watching football, it's the voices of those two that echo in my memories. Madden whipping out the yellow marker drawing crazy routes all over the screen. Hell, we drew some of those same plays in the dirt in our backyard football games.

A legend.

Gone but not forgotten.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This one hurts. This has been a brutal, brutal month..... Fuck. RIP Big John.