Retirement.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Congrats, man.

Banking that 401k match every month...nothing like saving their money along with mine.

5 more years.

Got a rich wife, though.;)

oldnotdead

Legend
My ex is from old big money. Her grandfather owned orange orchards in much of the west San Fernando Valley, her mom comes from Hawaiian missionary family money. I never saw a penny of any of it. They cut all ties with her when she married me. LOL

Her mom screamed at her why would she want to marry a guy who earned pennies (6 figure income is pennies to them) and worst of all I'm not even white. I looked at her and smiled and told her if she ever darkened my doorstep my shotgun might have an accidental discharge.

Nah I'll take love over money any day. There are always strings tied to the money. My GF's family are panga fishermen on the Pacific Baja coast. We'd go out fishing in the morning and run the pangas up on the beach to sell the catch in the afternoon. Anything not sold is smoked over a beach fire that evening for dinner. Smoked fish and crab with salsa fresca and beer on the beach around the fire.

My son and I aren't hunters it's just not our thing. But that is not to say we don't enjoy our firearms. We go to the range as often as we can. It's a great father/son thing we do. Retirement was simply a new chapter in my life. I hope everyone's retirement is a new fresh beginning for them. Enjoy your new life brothers!!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bittersweet night last night. It was my last actual working shift, I have 6 sick days to burn now to lead me up to my May 12th exit interview. The crew made an awesome filet mignon dinner, and they are throwing me a nice Retirement shindig at one of our local bar and grills on Tuesday. It felt kinda unreal walking out of the refinery this morning. I KNEW I would never go through those turnstiles again, but everything still seemed so ordinary and routine. I guess it will take some time to sink in. The bittersweetness comes with the knowledge that the last couple shifts are the last time I will probably see some of my long time coworkers ever again. Seeing we're heading out to Florida. I think this will take awhile to sink in, but.... It's definitely a good thing!!!!

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Bittersweet night last night. It was my last actual working shift, I have 6 sick days to burn now to lead me up to my May 12th exit interview. The crew made an awesome filet mignon dinner, and they are throwing me a nice Retirement shindig at one of our local bar and grills on Tuesday. It felt kinda unreal walking out of the refinery this morning. I KNEW I would never go through those turnstiles again, but everything still seemed so ordinary and routine. I guess it will take some time to sink in. The bittersweetness comes with the knowledge that the last couple shifts are the last time I will probably see some of my long time coworkers ever again. Seeing we're heading out to Florida. I think this will take awhile to sink in, but.... It's definitely a good thing!!!!
Beyond happy for you!! Make the next phase your best!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sounds well deserved, too.

Yeah, I bet it was a weird week. Next up; that feeling “that it’s not just vacation”.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Congrats on retirement dude. It's a great time but it's also a bit of a mental transition. I jones for foreign shores and miss the camaraderie I had in the Navy. But there are way more advantages.

Some recommendations from a guy who's been doing this for almost two years now...

1. Set up a schedule and put something on it that can take the place of your work day. Sounds crazy I know but it's really helpful. I write now, but I basically fucked off for a year. Which you can do. But now that I have gotten a schedule set up things are way better.

2. Set up some trips even if it's just local area. Get away from the house and all that. I learned this because we bought a house that's like a paradise for us, but the yard work and whatnot are real. Getting away every couple months has helped me reset, but then again I'm a restless Sailor so maybe that's not you.

3. Have patience with the wife. Depending on your situation being at home more can be a stressor or at the least a change in the household. That stuff's been fine for me but it's something they hit hard at my retirement training the Navy does. I have a lot of friends who got divorced in their first few years of retirement.

4. Stay active. Make sure you're walking at the very least. A dip in activity can screw you up, that's something I've definitely learned after my year of fucking off lol. Finally back to my normal weight I'll just say that.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Congrats on retirement dude. It's a great time but it's also a bit of a mental transition. I jones for foreign shores and miss the camaraderie I had in the Navy. But there are way more advantages.

Some recommendations from a guy who's been doing this for almost two years now...

1. Set up a schedule and put something on it that can take the place of your work day. Sounds crazy I know but it's really helpful. I write now, but I basically fucked off for a year. Which you can do. But now that I have gotten a schedule set up things are way better.

2. Set up some trips even if it's just local area. Get away from the house and all that. I learned this because we bought a house that's like a paradise for us, but the yard work and whatnot are real. Getting away every couple months has helped me reset, but then again I'm a restless Sailor so maybe that's not you.

3. Have patience with the wife. Depending on your situation being at home more can be a stressor or at the least a change in the household. That stuff's been fine for me but it's something they hit hard at my retirement training the Navy does. I have a lot of friends who got divorced in their first few years of retirement.

4. Stay active. Make sure you're walking at the very least. A dip in activity can screw you up, that's something I've definitely learned after my year of fucking off lol. Finally back to my normal weight I'll just say that.
Great advice Brother! I think I have #1 covered for the foreseeable future. I will be somewhat busy daily for the next few months buying a new home, packing our pad, and moving cross country. After that, depending on how turn key the new pad is, I'm sure there will be some amount of house upgrading.

#2 - great idea. I love photography and there seems to be a lot of places to shoot where we're moving. I used to be the restless sailor, literally, as a 10 yr Merchant Marine. I've settled down a bit now with regards too wandering syndrome. We'll have a boat so getting out one a week or so will be a good outlet.

#3 - scary stuff. I will have to be mindful of her for sure. Working shift work we spend large chunks of days off all the time, 3 to 4 days, together. She's a trooper, it's definitely gonna be more on me to adapt and not stress her out.

#4 - I guess I will have to figure out my routine. There will definitely be house stuff to be done at least 3 days a week between yard and Pool maint.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
That is great to hear. I just turned 55 in Jan and have 37 yrs with my company. My plan is 4 more years just after my 59th birthday and retire with 40 years in the IBEW local 1245. But is the stars line up maybe in 2 years make the jump. Need to pay for the solar i just put in and then unexpectedly got to drill a new well. But on the bright side I should be all set up with water and no power bill.

Going to redo the backyard this year and then it will be 3 bad days in a row and see ya!

Again congrats and safe travels and you will have to make it to at least one game in the new house.
I am in that general area that you propose to retire. Let me know if you have questions.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Man, the gang threw me the best retirement shindig ever! Me and the Mrs. were so overwhelmed. Had a great turnout of about 50 co-workers and we had a blast, as we always do when we go out! They were also so thoughtful about retirement gifts (Which I told them NOT to buy!!) . All the pics of the party are on the wifes phone, I will upload some later. Here's what the gang got me....

In case of thirst....... A couple Captain Morgan buckets!

Then one of our season ticket ramily couples made us this beautiful wall hanging!

Finally from the Crew.... A very nice Authentic Speed Helmet!

Attachments

• ram106.jpg
    ram106.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 97
  • ram103.jpg
    ram103.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 87
  • ram104.jpg
    ram104.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 91
  • ram100.jpg
    ram100.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 98
  • ram102.jpg
    ram102.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 98

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Man, the gang threw me the best retirement shindig ever! Me and the Mrs. were so overwhelmed. Had a great turnout of about 50 co-workers and we had a blast, as we always do when we go out! They were also so thoughtful about retirement gifts (Which I told them NOT to buy!!) . All the pics of the party are on the wifes phone, I will upload some later. Here's what the gang got me....

In case of thirst....... A couple Captain Morgan buckets!

Then one of our season ticket ramily couples made us this beautiful wall hanging!

Finally from the Crew.... A very nice Authentic Speed Helmet!

That helmet is very nice. What a great gift!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg

Attachments

• IMG_8668.JPG
    IMG_8668.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8639.JPG
    IMG_8639.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 89

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah... I was shocked to say the least. Such great folks to work with!

Very cool.

I almost bought that same t-shirt you're wearing in that pic. I love me some octopus! They are fascinating creatures that I've always been way too interested in. I used to catch them as a kid back in Hawaii all the time and try and keep them in my small tank. Then I learned how great they tasted and I started catching them for my belly instead of my tank. If you bite em right above/between their eyes they instantly die.

I really do love them. I have a super cool blown glass octopus that sits on my entertainment table. It's got some crazy eyes. I'm always looking for cool octopus stuff... and thus the reason I almost bought that t-shirt.

Congratulations Brudda!!!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Very cool.

I almost bought that same t-shirt you're wearing in that pic. I love me some octopus! They are fascinating creatures that I've always been way too interested in. I used to catch them as a kid back in Hawaii all the time and try and keep them in my small tank. Then I learned how great they tasted and I started catching them for my belly instead of my tank. If you bite em right above/between their eyes they instantly die.

I really do love them. I have a super cool blown glass octopus that sits on my entertainment table. It's got some crazy eyes. I'm always looking for cool octopus stuff... and thus the reason I almost bought that t-shirt.

The gal who does the artwork for this and a select others owns her shop in La Paz, Baja Sur. It's called Catku Creations. She does awesome stuff! On a side note I'm sure you've seen "My Octopus Teacher" on Netflix? If not... get to it!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah... I was shocked to say the least. Such great folks to work with!

Yeah congratulations! I am a little bit behind you but old enough to see it coming. Thanks for sharing all this.

That party looks like a fun one. A real good one.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Very cool.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De1LCQvbqV4

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! We have purchased our retirement home in North Port Florida! I was getting worried because of the absolute insanity of the buying market right now. We lost out on 3 other homes that we had what seemed like extremely solid bids, all at least 30k over asking price. Luckily we didn't get any of those, because the one we got checked off a lot more boxes. One of the biggest being outdoor space and privacy. The lots on each side, behind, and in front are all empty. Here she is.....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! We have purchased our retirement home in North Port Florida! I was getting worried because of the absolute insanity of the buying market right now. We lost out on 3 other homes that we had what seemed like extremely solid bids, all at least 30k over asking price. Luckily we didn't get any of those, because the one we got checked off a lot more boxes. One of the biggest being outdoor space and privacy. The lots on each side, behind, and in front are all empty. Here she is.....

VERY NICE! Now you and @Selassie I can go to Tampon games together!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

Nice new digs! Congrats, and welcome to the Sunshine State (I've been a Floridian - other than 4 years of college - for 46 years).

Retirement is still a few years away for me, but as an empty-nester in his 50s, its becoming more of a reality to look forward to.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
VERY NICE! Now you and @Selassie I can go to Tampon games together!

Oh Yeah!! The Rams are playing in Tampa in '22!
Nice new digs! Congrats, and welcome to the Sunshine State (I've been a Floridian - other than 4 years of college - for 46 years).

Retirement is still a few years away for me, but as an empty-nester in his 50s, its becoming more of a reality to look forward to.
I get that completely, as soon as I hit about 53 I was licking my chops for retirement.