Resigning D Williams was critical, Rams need more at CB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We might draft a CB.

But to say we need one for this year is to ignore where we were one year ago today.

One year ago today Rams fans were mocking Troy Hill being cut, and D Williams was just a player with potential.

This year were in much better shape with an established D Will and we need two DBs?? IMO we need one to replace JJ - if that's Burgess, then draft a CB. Otherwise a S.

Good points. (y)

We are in better shape. Still looks like work is needed with depth, but that's the ideal place to "need work".

Oh man camping sounds amazing right now.
I’ve had the sum total of 5 days off since the new year.

You've worked 7 days a week mostly since the new year? o_O

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
We still haven’t seen him sign yet have we?

fearsomefour

Legend
Good points. (y)

We are in better shape. Still looks like work is needed with depth, but that's the ideal place to "need work".

You've worked 7 days a week mostly since the new year? o_O
Yes.
Had New Year’s Day off and a four other ones here and there.
It’s getting old. Haha.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm starting to think that there is a team that may be preparing to sign him, which is perhaps the reasoning that we interviewed Asante Samuel Jr twice, when he is seemingly well out of our draft range in the second round. My assumption is, if someone grabs DWill from us, we use the first rounder we acquired to grab Samuel to replace DWill. Might not be perfect for us, but it does help with the cap next year as DWill will certainly cost a lot more then Samuel will, and potentially we won't have the cap to do it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yes.
Had New Year’s Day off and a four other ones here and there.
It’s getting old. Haha.

Holy geez. Yeah, I bet. Any chance that lightens up soon?

7 Days a week... not sure I could do it. These days; I'm pretty tired by 10am. :D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still have a couple weeks to get the pick this year, deadline is two days before the draft or it becomes a 2022 pick. Also a team without a first round pick can’t offer him a deal.

fearsomefour

Legend
Holy geez. Yeah, I bet. Any chance that lightens up soon?

7 Days a week... not sure I could do it. These days; I'm pretty tired by 10am. :D
It is getting lighter.
But the seven day thing is voluntary OT....I just have a hard time not working it with everything going on now.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From a roster construction perspective, you pay AD and Ramsey to bring guys like Troy Hill, Darius Williams, David Long and Donte Deayon up. I personally would only draft a DB if the value was too good to pass up. I'd be fine with Long and Deayon, and maybe another cheap FA - fighting for the NCB spot. That would leave our safeties in great hands with four guys who have game experience.

To me CB is only a need if they aren't going to keep Williams beyond this year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Problem is if a team offers their first rounder for him they get him cheap for one year. And maybe he signs to another team next year. Hefty price to pay for a one year rental. Hypothetically of course

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I don’t see any reason/need to use a top pick on a CB. DWill is going nowhere this season and maybe even LT. Sure get a young pup in 4th round or later. But early on — no way — bigger immediate needs (OL, LB, Edge)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Oh man camping sounds amazing right now.
I’ve had the sum total of 5 days off since the new year.

Wow - a hard working man.The weather is starting to become real nice. Hopefully you find some solid time off. If not I hope you love you work where it’s fun.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I have said before, if I am taking a corner in the first round, especially late first round, I am not hesitating to steal williams away from the rams.

As for troy hill, I've always been a fan as I've said many times and the fact that ramsey told him he was able to have the year he had because of him is more than just teammate bro talk. I hope long and burgess can step up and there's no real worry there but, come on, we have arguably the top CB duo this year. Enjoy it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No team ever has enough CBs on their roster.

That's the old saying but I disagree. We had the best secondary in the NFL last year. They got torched against Green Bay because.......

No team ever has enough pass rushers on their roster.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the old saying but I disagree. We had the best secondary in the NFL last year. They got torched against Green Bay because.......

No team ever has enough pass rushers on their roster.
And we were 2nd in the NFL in sacks with everybody but Ebukam returning. However we're losing a starting Corner. Also to say we got torched because of a lack of pass rush is incredibly disingenuous without mentioning the fact that the best defensive player the DPOY the man who pressures the QB the most in the NFL was not himself and didn't play even the whole game. To sit here and blame it on a lack of pass rush and not saying why is really shady.

Also there's a major difference between the pass rush and the secondary.

The secondary is returning everybody but our starter JJ3 who also called the plays. A big loss but we've prepared for him leaving by drafting to fill behind him the last 2 drafts.

We drafted Terrell Lewis who going into his 2nd year should provide a boost to the pass rush opposite our expensive resigning of Floyd and his 10 sack season.

Who's the CB we've drafted the last 2 years that's going to step up this year and fill the void left by Hill leaving? Also we don't know yet if Williams will be back. Everybody assumes and hopes he will be back but it's far from certain that he will, if it was certain he'd have signed the offer sheet already. We drafted Long 2 years ago and we can hope that he steps up in his 3rd year but so far he's given no reason to think he will.

CB is a very real need for the Rams according to some of us. Funny though the people who want a CB also want to add a body to the Edge room. Obo has been decent but hurt and inconsistent. Lewis showed flashes but needs to be healthy. None of the other OLB/Edge on the roster inspire much confidence. Just because we obviously need a CB doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't add an Edge as well.