Resigning D Williams was critical, Rams need more at CB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Why re-signing Darious Williams was critical for the LA Rams

The LA Rams discovered a few things about their defensive group in the 2020 NFL season that they didn’t know beforehand. First of all, the team reaffirmed that All-Pro Jalen Ramsey is indeed one of the best defensive backs in the NFL today. The team learned that All-Pro defensive lineman Aaron Donald will need some help on the defensive front.

Some have already begun to despair. I’ve read comments about the LA Rams defense ‘not scaring anyone this year’. Well, that is just rehashed silliness from last year. As players migrate out to other teams via free agency, the Rams have kept a solid supply of talent in reserve to backfill the outbound players. Safety Terrell Burgess should be ready to start in 2021, as should NT A’Shawn Robinson.

But the LA Rams simply had nobody to take over the veteran role at outside linebacker who could help the 2021 defense any better than veteran Leonard Floyd. And the Rams had nobody who could pair up with Ramsey as well as defensive back Darious Williams. You see, Ramsey is so good at what he does, that he forces the quarterback to throw elsewhere. If the Rams do not have the right bookended defensive back

Seeing is believing

To make the point, check out this video profiler of just how good Darious Williams is as the other guy in this defensive, check out this video featuring a detailed analysis of Williams’ ability to cover. In the breakdown, it’s clear that Williams is playing an aggressive heads-up type of football. And that is vital because he is one of the smaller effective defensive backs in the league. So how does he compensate for the constant stream of facing bigger receivers?

View: https://youtu.be/Bp9LxrpHJFQ

Darious Williams has mastered the ability to process what is going around him on the football field. He stays close enough to the receiver, waits for the receiver to break for the ball, and simply accelerates to the right position to come between the receiver and the quarterback to make the play. The accolades of Williams play in 2020 proved him to be as good as advertised.

He earned Pro Football Focus’s third-best grade of any defensive back in 2020. He has never surrendered more than 70 passing yards in a single game against him since he entered the NFL in 2018. He had the third-best (well worst for QBs) completing rate against him in 2020. And he and Jalen Ramsey are excellent compliments to one another in this defense.

View: https://twitter.com/pff/status/1367943270890938381?s=21

Ramsey makes Williams a better player. But it goes both ways in the Rams defense.

Room to grow

The LA Rams plans for cornerback certainly suffered a setback when reports surfaced about Tyrique McGhee’s second violation of the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances. That carries a penalty of a five-game suspension, and it just months after a similar violation suspended him for two months. Beyond McGhee, the Rams roster boasts just David Long Jr. and Dont’e Deayon.

That leaves the Rams short two players short at the position at a minimum, and the team could sign as many as five new cornerbacks between the draft and post-draft signing period to round out the 90 man roster. Thankfully, cornerbacks run deep in the 2021 NFL draft class, and the wild inconsistency of available data and NCAA football in 2020 greatly increases the odds of a diamond-in-the-rough DBs falling to the Rams either during the draft or out of the draft altogether.

The Rams entered the 2020 NFL Draft needing reinforcements for the safety position. The Rams have since added Jordan Fuller, Terrell Burgess, J.R. Reed, and Juju Hughes. Something very similar needs to occur for the Rams at cornerback this year.

The good news is that the Rams truly have two starters ready to go at cornerback and can theoretically include a standout rookie from training camp into the slot for 2021. Of course, the Rams will need a replacement for Williams in 2022, but one challenge at a time.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Did The Rams sign D .Williams?

I thought he could sign somewhere else ? I would cost a 1st rd ? Do The Rams have enough cap space ??
I’m dumb on this NFL rule.A first RD rookie can make how much more than him. Then again it’s a 4 plus 1 deal being a top pick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Did The Rams sign D .Williams?

I thought he could sign somewhere else ? I would cost a 1st rd ? Do The Rams have enough cap space ??
I’m dumb on this NFL rule.A first RD rookie can make how much more than him. Then again it’s a 4 plus 1 deal being a top pick.

I believe the tender can still be matched, but it appears by offering the tender they must account for the space to do that.

His $4.7M salary is penciled into the books.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why is Williams a guaranteed loss next season? Do people think he will get Jalen Ramsey money?

The cap goes up next year and the Rams get some dead money cleared. It’s the perfect situation for them to resign Williams.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Why is Williams a guaranteed loss next season? Do people think he will get Jalen Ramsey money?

The cap goes up next year and the Rams get some dead money cleared. It’s the perfect situation for them to resign Williams.

Don't worry, once the hyperinflation kicks in it'll cost $30 million to buy a loaf of bread. As long as the players continue to be wage slaves, the cap doesn't really mean anything anyway. ;)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't worry, once the hyperinflation kicks in it'll cost $30 million to buy a loaf of bread. As long as the players continue to be wage slaves, the cap doesn't really mean anything anyway. ;)

Entertainment is such a rip off now a days. Hate the Dodgers. They started it.Maybe it was the Lakers.I don’t know.
I don’t even get all the ESPN’s.That in it’s self has taken me away from sports.I do have get my life in order.
I did bring something up about a loaf of bread being $5 & a good loaf $10.
Remembering the days of .25<

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe the tender can still be matched, but it appears by offering the tender they must account for the space to do that.

His $4.7M salary is penciled into the books.

That’s confusing. A team can offer $4.7 million. Then The Rams gave the choice ? Then what if no offer ?
Where does the 1st rd pick come in ?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We might draft a CB.

But to say we need one for this year is to ignore where we were one year ago today.

One year ago today Rams fans were mocking Troy Hill being cut, and D Williams was just a player with potential.

This year were in much better shape with an established D Will and we need two DBs?? IMO we need one to replace JJ - if that's Burgess, then draft a CB. Otherwise a S.

fearsomefour

Legend
Entertainment is such a rip off now a days. Hate the Dodgers. They started it.Maybe it was the Lakers.I don’t know.
I don’t even get all the ESPN’s.That in it’s self has taken me away from sports.I do have get my life in order.
I did bring something up about a loaf of bread being $5 & a good loaf $10.
Remembering the days of .25<
It’s only a rip off if you spend the money.
I do think it is sad that good tickets for a ball game price most families out.
That said, every time I go to a game there are plenty of people there and plenty of kids.
As for the bread I’ve started finding ways to cut costs and be healthier.
Started making my own bread recently. I know your bread comment was just an example but it is pennies on the dollar.
Also make my own jerky, broths and soups. Much cheaper and better (in my opinion) than store bought.
Greenhouse going in soon to start growing veg.

fearsomefour

Legend
We might draft a CB.

But to say we need one for this year is to ignore where we were one year ago today.

One year ago today Rams fans were mocking Troy Hill being cut, and D Williams was just a player with potential.

This year were in much better shape with an established D Will and we need two DBs?? IMO we need one to replace JJ - if that's Burgess, then draft a CB. Otherwise a S.

I would draft two.
One third round one later.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It’s only a rip off if you spend the money.
I do think it is sad that good tickets for a ball game price most families out.
That said, every time I go to a game there are plenty of people there and plenty of kids.
As for the bread I’ve started finding ways to cut costs and be healthier.
Started making my own bread recently. I know your bread comment was just an example but it is pennies on the dollar.
Also make my own jerky, broths and soups. Much cheaper and better (in my opinion) than store bought.
Greenhouse going in soon to start growing veg.

agree - & think that’s really cool your doing your own things.Hope you get some spiritual camping in,or are able to enjoy some of this beautiful country.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That’s confusing. A team can offer $4.7 million. Then The Rams gave the choice ? Then what if no offer ?
Where does the 1st rd pick come in ?
As I understand it, if someone buys Williams out from under us we get their 1st round pick this year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Williams is a restricted free agent with a first round tender offer of $4.77M that counts against the Rams 2021 salary cap right now.

A team may make Williams a contract offer. If Williams signs the offer, the Rams have the option of matching it (and assuming the contract and cap hit that goes with it), or allow Williams to leave and take back a first round draft choice.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would draft two.
One third round one later.
The article was rather weak.This PED’s guy is someone The Rams might have cut anyway.Deyon was a Hardknocks superstar.He talks a lot of smack.In a CB you like those types that are out there.He just keeps his motor going & has high energy.Looked like he was a little light last season.If he put on some weight he could be a good CB.
The depth is not there & the article does expose Troy Hills loss.Burgees actually can play a little CB,which helps him fill that nickle/dime.I like Taylor Rapp & Nick Scott to fill JJ’s spot.David Long is from that 2019 draft class as well.
Always upgrade with value pick with DB’s they can be stocked up on special teams. —Today’s Mock

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
From what I can gather the Rams are going defense with their 2nd rounder. Even if Les trades down a bit our first pick will be for the defense.
I'm guessing a guy like Aaron Robinson the corner from UCF will be available for us.
At any rate that's how I see it at this point.
~ArkyRamsFan~

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Williams is a restricted free agent with a first round tender offer of $4.77M that counts against the Rams 2021 salary cap right now.

A team may make Williams a contract offer. If Williams signs the offer, the Rams have the option of matching it (and assuming the contract and cap hit that goes with it), or allow Williams to leave and take back a first round draft choice.

I guess then a team offer him a 3 years $30 million contract ??

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I still worry we could lose him. I've been saying I believe he is a top 5 cb in the league for some time based on his play this year. It is only costing a team a 1st rounder to literally get maybe that missing piece to a defense. Why would a team care about their 1st rounder. A 1st rounder that could end up as a bust and at best case as good as DWill which is currently a premier player at their position. If I was a team from #20 on back I would jump all over this. We had to give up waaaaaaay more for Ramsey then what a team will have to give up in DWill. There is no learning curve and any defense is upgraded massively. The only downside is the money disparity between a rookie first rounder contract and DWill.

Like I say we are not out of the woods until after the draft that is why I believe the Rams are not making any more moves until they know they can spend their $ elsewhere and wait till June 1 cuts and players come off their lofty money thoughts. A couple really good OLB/DEs out there still. A couple ILBs and Tackles we could take a run at one or 2 players, but we can't now - smart on Management's part to wait based on needing potentially to pay DWill if they can match the deal as well as they need to see what they get in the draft then Snead/McVay can assess any FAs still out there. The pandemic in a weird way helped the Rams by only a few teams having enough money in FA leaving some food talent still unsigned.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If a team makes that offer and the Rams decline to match it, then that team gives the Rams their #1 pick.

Malcom Brown by Detroit 2 years ago The Rams matched for a lower tier.
CJ Anderson the rams declined

fearsomefour

Legend
agree - & think that’s really cool your doing your own things.Hope you get some spiritual camping in,or are able to enjoy some of this beautiful country.
Oh man camping sounds amazing right now.
I’ve had the sum total of 5 days off since the new year.