Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Many here don't get the argument. This is not about how good Ramsey is. He is obviously a great player. It's about how much better his $33M of 23' & 24' cap room can be utilized.

No one argued that the Chuefs were better off losing Tyreke Hill, a guy who essentially won them a SB a few yrs ago. However they saw it was more important to spend money to keep Mahomes upright and not kill their cap for a non QB position, while also getting back draft picks.

And guess what? They were right.

Same issue here with Ramsey.
Disagree, he can also be restructured to save CAP room. Most of us are arguing that if we truly are going all in, why get rid of a stud corner instead of extending him? Also aren't there others we can look at trading to make more CAP room vs leaving a massive hole at CB? Also, a WR is hugely reliant on QB play whereas CB is good or isn't, can't compare the two.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Many here don't get the argument. This is not about how good Ramsey is. He is obviously a great player. It's about how much better his $33M of 23' & 24' cap room can be utilized.

No one argued that the Chuefs were better off losing Tyreke Hill, a guy who essentially won them a SB a few yrs ago. However they saw it was more important to spend money to keep Mahomes upright and not kill their cap for a non QB position, while also getting back draft picks.

And guess what? They were right.

Same issue here with Ramsey.
Except the Chiefs also picked up Ju Ju to replace Hill. It's not like they just left the spot empty for a nobody to take over. Also, their offense is stacked. Our D has some stars, but not so much on the back end and how versatile Ramsey is in Morris's system, it leaves a bigger gap in talent with Ramsey gone than it was for Hill to be replaced with Ju Ju.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't owe them shit. We have them there potential QB of the next few years and a few first round picks. We didn't pay off there mortgage, or debt. We have them a luxurious trade package for a QB who requested out.

We don't owe them, they don't owe us.
Keystone Light drinkin' bastid! ~ Lions

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He works in their FO and I went to college with him so I've known him for 52 years. He confirmed multiple calls between Holmes and Snead. The actual problem seems to be with Ramsey's agent and their salary expectations. That IMO is the biggest hangup with any and all deals.

Pick 18 is their second first rounder. The earliest first round pick is the one the Rams gave them for Stafford at #6. Their lowest second round pick is 56 also from a trade I believe.
I’d hope that 18 is the lowest they’d go for trading Ramsey.
Problem is, we cant know that. The reason i have always been for Us trading is we are always getting a known. Picks are never that.
Yes. Even first rounders are often busts.
Well, I think when your highest pick is in the 50's or 60's you tend to reach for a boom or bust type to get potential 1st round talent and impact at that later pick.

Having multiple picks in the top 70 allows a team to let thr board come to you and take the BPA at need positions.

So you could argue by acquiring 2 additional premium picks (top 80) it takes some pressure off of Snead and gives him more swings.

Otherwise why have a draft if you assume he won't draft a good player?

His best draft was 17' when he had multiple picks in the top 100. Didn't do as well in 21' with the Tyrell misses, but the more the merrier as far as I am concerned.
But you are ignoring Snead’s philosophy. He says that they are always looking for a specific type of player. He’s passed up on some good players in order to trade back and get more picks.

He also says that the more picks you have, the higher the chances of getting some right. That never made sense to me. Trading back and picking athletes while passing up good football players? I haven’t been wowed by his drafts lately. I think the real talent evaluator may have been Holmes.
No, at his best, he had the No. 5 defense that won a Super Bowl (in fact, if you look at the second half stats from Bengals game, it was his defense that was the main reason we won).
Yes and no. By default I’d say. The offense was crippled by not having Higbee and OBJ. I think if healthy both units would have stood out.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Yes and no. By default I’d say. The offense was crippled by not having Higbee and OBJ. I think if healthy both units would have stood out.
Perhaps, but the offense WAS crippled and, after the bogus TD (missed face mask) on the first play of the second half, the defense, over 6 drives, gave up 63 total yards while registering 6 sacks.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally different scenario, Hill was entering the last year of his deal and was going to be signed to an extension which the Chiefs felt they couldnt afford.
That's not the case at all with Ramsey. They signed him to a deal, he's honoring his end, and now due to accounting, they possibly want to ship him out? Not the Tyreek sitch at all, not even close

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's not the case at all with Ramsey. They signed him to a deal, he's honoring his end, and now due to accounting, they possibly want to ship him out?
Rams never do that. They never cut bait on a guy due to accounting alone. They cut bait on guys who don't project to live up to contracts the team is paying them though.

They have this one right. I am very happy that they're looking at him as an option in move and if they can pull it off and get value for him this will have a rejuvenation effect in that locker room.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Totally different scenario, Hill was entering the last year of his deal and was going to be signed to an extension which the Chiefs felt they couldnt afford.
That's not the case at all with Ramsey. They signed him to a deal, he's honoring his end, and now due to accounting, they possibly want to ship him out? Not the Tyreek sitch at all, not even close.
Isn't Ramsey saying he wants to re-work his contract? Which he still has 3 years on and feels like he just signed. This would piss me off as an organization personally. If this is true, he is not honoring his end. And we can't afford to start paying him more then he is already getting.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Isn't Ramsey saying he wants to re-work his contract? Which he still has 3 years on and feels like he just signed. This would piss me off as an organization personally. If this is true, he is not honoring his end. And we can't afford to start paying him more then he is already getting.

I’ve seen a few people speculate this, but I haven’t seen anything from Ramsey himself or anybody connected to Ramsey about him wanting a new contract

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I thought it was attached to a report from Pelisero, that his agent is holding up trade negotiations because he is demanding a reworked deal before trade commences or something of that nature. Could be I saw this from someone less connected however.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only heard that as fan speculation

dang

Legend
Yeah. I’m wondering which came first. Rams exploring Ramsey trade or Ramsey wanting to rework his contract?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Yeah. I’m wondering which came first. Rams exploring Ramsey trade or Ramsey wanting to rework his contract?

I mean, I feel like all that is bogus. Ramsey said himself he isn’t going anywhere, so I don’t imagine this is on his end…if true at all

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I mean, I feel like all that is bogus. Ramsey said himself he isn’t going anywhere, so I don’t imagine this is on his end…if true at all
Did he really say that? I have seen some cryptic tweets but don't recall anything that direct.

It's also not really entirely his decision.

I don't want him gone. Just asking because I do not remember Ramsey saying he's 'not going anywhere'.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah - sure !! Alright.

Really - Ramsey is going to be a Ram in 2023?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams never do that. They never cut bait on a guy due to accounting alone. They cut bait on guys who don't project to live up to contracts the team is paying them though.

They have this one right. I am very happy that they're looking at him as an option in move and if they can pull it off and get value for him this will have a rejuvenation effect in that locker room.
He's not living up to the contract? That's silly
Is he playing the same position he was playing when he signed? He didnt choose to go to the "star" role, he did what was asked of him.
This is why these guys should hold out for every penny they can get. Because the second the bloom is off the rose, fans (and teams) are on to the new shiny toy
He's still a Ram so I'll wait for an outcome before getting bothered.
I just cant be convinced that somehow the Rams are better off without him this season

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah - sure !! Alright.

Really - Ramsey is going to be a Ram in 2023?
Calm down brutha
Relaxing Water Fowl GIF by Acorn TV

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's not living up to the contract? That's silly
He hasn't been the same guy for some time now IMO. Not sure to what extent it is mental. But he does get run by at times by wideouts which was not a theme for him in his youth when he had makeup speed. Every time he has faced certain wideouts like Metcalf for example he has held and tugged to stay with him, and been given the benefit of the doubt based on his status as an elite corner. But that can change quickly in the NFL and we started to see the cracks that were showing the previous season due to the lack of a rush.

Rams probably should have done this a year ago, after he was covered by an elite rush that got us to that ring. That would have been selling at a high point. But doing it now is far better than waiting another year. People are gonna see things much differently this time next year because once a corner starts that decline it always ends in their corner days being done and for some of them the decline can be very quick. Given that his decline started a year or so ago I'd say he's going to be transitioning through acceptance that he's not going to garner the top money in the next year, and maybe after he starts that transition to safety.

But we don't have time to shepherd him through all that shit. Rams are making the tough call and the right call here.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Disagree, he can also be restructured to save CAP room. Most of us are arguing that if we truly are going all in, why get rid of a stud corner instead of extending him? Also aren't there others we can look at trading to make more CAP room vs leaving a massive hole at CB? Also, a WR is hugely reliant on QB play whereas CB is good or isn't, can't compare the two.
You always end up paying in the end... and what are you going to do? Push more money to next yrs cap, where you are already over the projected 24' cap? He Doesn't have a lot of yrs left on his current contract to push money to. Then it comes down to will he agree to a cap friendly extension?

And when I say saving $33M of cap room over the next 2 yrs that's if they trade him and what they save. If he stays, its more like $54M in actually cap space he eats up. And add in another $23M in his last yr in 26'.

So how do you restructure that to save cap room with out a new deal altogether? Would he even be open to that?

Its absolutely more important to set up Stafford and the offense to be a top 5 offense again by adding a few durable vets and maybe a high end rookie to the OL. Maybe add a dynamic TE and or RB.

It's a great CB FA class and good draft class. Go get his replacement there where it's much easier to structure a new deal to be cap friendly for 2 yrs until Stafford or Donald are gone with a low cap hit. And add a CB in the draft as well. Could have a deeper secondary by moving him.

So again this is not about how good Ramsey is. It's about spreading his money over several more important positions & units, while also getting back resources in the form of draft capital to be used to maybe find some future cornerstone players.

They can't rely on Donald, Ramsey, Kupp, and Stafford forever.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Calm down brutha
Relaxing Water Fowl GIF by Acorn TV
We’ll I know where you STAND with Jalen Ramsey.

Thanks 4 the chill pill.You also know the reason why The Rams need to get rid of Jalen Ramsey as well.I’m a Jalen Ramsey Fan,but we vs me is The Rams way.