Rams TEs???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW on the play that Goff tried to fit the ball in the tight window to Kupp in the end zone, if he waited a split second more, Higbee was able to disengage from the DB covering him and was wide open over the top for 6.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
FWIW on the play that Goff tried to fit the ball in the tight window to Kupp in the end zone, if he waited a split second more, Higbee was able to disengage from the DB covering him and was wide open over the top for 6.

Was it just me or was Goff pushing those tight windows a bit more on Monday than he did last year?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Was it just me or was Goff pushing those tight windows a bit more on Monday than he did last year?

He was pushing them more no doubt, but he always looks for Kupp when nothing is there from the outset, Kupp is like a TE always being Goff's safety valve.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
He was pushing them more no doubt, but he always looks for Kupp when nothing is there from the outset, Kupp is like a TE always being Goff's safety valve.

True - I hope they build on their trust this year too - I would love to get Higbee with his size become a Red Zone target though...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I actually think Higs is a solid TE his blocking has improved immensely and while he has dropped some tough catches like FLV said he is our best TE . im worried about Everett ..just hasn't seemed to take that next step

Yeah Higs has made a lot of strides as a blocker. He was pretty good in that regard last year but he's a guy who will get in there and take care of business which is valuable. What drives me nuts is when you watch him actually catch the ball he looks the part, the dude is a huge target.

I still have hope of course that he and Everett will come around, but just not expecting it at this point. Chances are the strength of our passing game will remain in the wideout room and that's ok, but those TEs stepping up could really put this offense into the unstoppable playoff level unit type category IMO.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Honestly, I don't think we need to invest much into a TE that would get maybe 500 yrds receiving.

Teams that throw to their TEs a bunch usually do so because they don't have much WR depth and the TE is their #2/3 option. We have Cooks/Woods/Kupp plus Gurley out the back. They are more than enough for a solid passing attack.

Kupp is also good at run blocking as well. I'd rather have Kupp out there blocking than maybe a 2nd TE that has to block a larger, more physical LB that's adding an extra body to the box.

We only perhaps need better TE receiving production for red zone packages, where there's less field to work with and the larger targets are more advantageuos.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Just a thought, if you could go back in time and add any former Ram TE to this current Ram roster, who would you choose.

I would choose Cornwell.

Edit: Ernie Conwell, not Cornwell.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm sure that McVay will go to the TEs when it is a good part of the plan. As it was, it seems the blocking ability was more important. We have lots of skill players so having a TE's main obligation be blocking for the run or keeping our QB upright, I'm good with that. Besides - I don't think McVay was going to be showing much more than we did unless we really needed it. I doubt he's thinking, "We gotta get our TEs some catches." and game planning for it. There will probably be games where the match-ups make for the TEs getting targets.

But I'm also guessing Gruden in his eminent wisdom, knowledge of Sean's history, and film watching, thought the TE position would be a big part of McVay's plan. He probably game planned to take that away. Hey Gruden.... Face it. Your former "student" is smarter and even wiser than you will ever be.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Teams having to deal with our 3 wide outs is a very tough assignment. Once this entire OL & the trio of WR's gets warmed up & working tight again (knocking the rust off & stuff) our opponets DC's have to move into the Nickle very early. Not many teams have a Nickle & Dime backs like NRC or a Sam Shields. I am sure McVay prefers Gurley to run gainst the Nickle's & Dimes Removing a wide out to add our 2nd or 3rd string TE is not a plus IMO.

Not so sure the 3 Cards top 3 corners can hang with our 3 WR's. Peterson is very good but seems to be slowly trending downward. The defense seems to be sluggish in playing a 43 D.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
In yesterday's press conference, when McVay was asked about the lack of TE usage, McVay talked about how excited he was in getting Everett going, and how they have high hopes for Everett. He never even mentioned Higbee. May mean something, or it may mean nothing. How's that for hedging my bets?

Ram65

Legend
Listening to the press conferences it sounds like it wasn't by design not to throw to the TEs. Goff said they had plays called with TEs running routes but, he did not throw to them. McVay mentioned a lot of first and second down play action passes that had them protecting.

https://www.therams.com/video/sean-mcvay-press-conference-9-13

I said before I expect some big plays from the TEs this year. Higs was open on the end zone pass to Kupp. Should be fun to see some big plays from the TEs. They may not get a lot of targets but, will be part of the offense. Higbee was blocking well this past week.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said before I expect some big plays from the TEs this year. Higs was open on the end zone pass to Kupp. S

And I'm sure when they go over the game video with Goff that will be pointed out. Not in a harsh way, but a reminder to keep his eyes open for players other than Kupp.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
They will be reserved for the Viqueen game, whole new gameplan.....:mrburnsevil:

dang

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everything looks good right now with our receiving corps with our big 3 WRs and Gurley. What happens if anything happens to any of those receiving weapons? It doesn't look like we have WR depth (Reynolds??) or effective TEs. I am very hopeful Everett will begin to break out as a receiver...hopeful but not yet confident.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One game guys no need to worry

overreact.jpg

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

Keep in mind Jared and Higbee were roommates and I think good buddies. He really wants to see Higs succeed, I think, and will push look for him more, as the season wears on. I look for Higs to have a break out game THIS WEEK, and to add another dimension to this offense. Then as Everett gets healthier, his contributions, as well.

Just a thought, if you could go back in time and add any former Ram TE to this current Ram roster, who would you choose.

I would choose Cornwell.

Bernard_Cornwell.jpg

"Why thank you, good sir. I shall not betray your trust!" -Bernard Cornwell