Rams Tendering LT Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ll contend that Joesph Noteboom is going to compete for The LEFT TACKLE position as a starter!!! To think he can’t beat him out is to think competition doesn’t matter to The Rams & Mcvay !!! IMO Noteboom starts & that goes into last season as well when he got beat out by Jackson.I’ll contend to injury is why.
Well, I sure hope that isnt the case, he fortunately re-structured to save a bit of cap space otherwise he'd have been gone. With a 10 mill dead cap hit in 25 there isnt room to re-sign him

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Well, I sure hope that isnt the case, he fortunately re-structured to save a bit of cap space otherwise he'd have been gone. With a 10 mill dead cap hit in 25 there isnt room to re-sign him
Now that he's agreed to a substantial pay cut, playing for $5 mil., they could extend him to avoid that dead cap hit in '25.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I never expected anyone to make an offer for Jackson. Not so much because of the money but the second round pick they'd give up. I'm fine with Jackson for now. He's a serviceable left tackle. And could get better. The line as a whole was pretty good the second half of the season. Could be even better this year.

How is that even a QUESTION ????

REALLY ??? Well I guess the doubt comes into The Rams win total of 8 1/2 wins.

I guess you’re doubting(could) that Avila isn’t going to be better than Shelton ?? I think Avila is a hard act to follow at LG,but Johna Jackson has been an All Pro & Detroit probably had The Best O’Line in The NFL (Eagles,Baltimore). Having Dotson in training camp & a season in Lafluers offense should only make him better (could?) .

IMO - like Eagles & Baltimore getting a RB is more needed than a TACKLE in 2024 Draft.

BTW - don’t mean to be a Richard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Depending how Alaric Jackson plays is what his value will be in the Future ! Who’s to say of Now ??

I still believe in who The Rams are bringing back as depth! I know a lot of Ram Fans always(most) don’t believe in the system(process) of being as Mcvay may say (NFL player) a Ram.We can look at other positions as well.

I go to a lot of The Rams training camps & watch the development of players.It’s hard to say who will even make The 53 Man Roster ?

Why Noteboom wasn’t moved to LT & Thomas to guard against Cinncy is beyond me ? What is to be learned though is Notebooms development to play all 4 O’Line positions. Who becomes the backup center is anyone’s guess,but getting BIGGER up FRONT is huge IMO.
We know Steve Avila can play guard as well,so there’s that.

The 48 man roster & sitting o’linemen of Sundays is going to be a thing with the new KO rules ?

I’m just saying as a poster mentioned 25% of the salary & Oldschool wants a LT ??? I think Alaric Jackson eliminates any chance of The Rams drafting a LT in the 1st 100(4 picks). Not saying he his thoughts are bad.

We can get into it,but The Rams coaching staff upfront is as good as any in The NFL.Oldbutnotdead might not think much about Big Rob.A lot might not think much about Noteboom either,but those are seriously to Big Time Leaders of The Rams Organization.

—IMO The Rams offense could be as good as any in The NFL?? Mcvay can run or pass . Play act becomes a thing again. —The Rams will add a WR & RB that will fight for a roster spot and make an impact(1 of the 2).
DEFENSIVE of DEPTH is going to be HUGE!! IMO The Rams might Trade Up to get There EDGE Rusher(DT-LB,DE) whoever that might be ???
I know having that player for 5 years is VALUE!!(cap wise as well).

Anyways we have 9 days & Alaric Jackson is still a Rams !! Got to LOVE that !!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Now that he's agreed to a substantial pay cut, playing for $5 mil., they could extend him to avoid that dead cap hit in '25.
Yep - like someone said all 3 A.Jackson,Noteboom,Havenstien
won’t be back in 2025. I’d say 100% correct !! I’d say McCelendon might be RT ? Arcuri ?? Who knows who The Rams pick up either ?
Jackson or Noteboom will be back 2025 imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, he took a base pay cut, but can easily earn that $$ back with substantial playing time, and even at a 5 mill base he's hitting the cap for nearly 12 mill. Like I said, the less he plays the better from a financial POV unless its an absolute necessity.
And no, they cant avoid that cap hit, its 10 mill when the contract voids. Even if they could, kicking the can down the road is what got them in trouble with his deal already, no sense going down that path again.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Rams main focus last season was the offense. In what was expected to be a down year they produced a winning season and playoff appearance. Mainly due to the offense. So I suppose it makes sense to continue that path. But I'm not sure I would like using a first round pick on a raw but talented player who figures to be more of a project his first year. I get flashbacks of Greg Robinson and Jason Smith.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Well, he took a base pay cut, but can easily earn that $$ back with substantial playing time, and even at a 5 mill base he's hitting the cap for nearly 12 mill. Like I said, the less he plays the better from a financial POV unless its an absolute necessity.
And no, they cant avoid that cap hit, its 10 mill when the contract voids. Even if they could, kicking the can down the road is what got them in trouble with his deal already, no sense going down that path again.
I agree that the less he plays it's better from a financial perspective. I don't suspect though that that would be McSnead's focus. They value him because he can back up four positions and be the starting LT in a pinch, if necessary.

I didn't say they can avoid the $10 mil. cap hit altogether, just that they can avoid paying all of it in '25. What if they extended him 2 years for $10. mil total and structured the contract, inc bonuses, exactly like it is this year? '25 and '26 will have the exact same cap hits as this year and they have a very valuable back-up at multiple positions. The $10 mil. dead cap would be paid over both years.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that the less he plays it's better from a financial perspective. I don't suspect though that that would be McSnead's focus. They value him because he can back up four positions and be the starting LT in a pinch, if necessary.

I didn't say they can avoid the $10 mil. cap hit altogether, just that they can avoid paying all of it in '25. What if they extended him 2 years for $10. mil total and structured the contract, inc bonuses, exactly like it is this year? '25 and '26 will have the exact same cap hits as this year and they have a very valuable back-up at multiple positions. The $10 mil. dead cap would be paid over both years.
Couple of things,
1) Pretty sure that the cap hit from voided contract cant be pushed out. IIRC the max void years allowed is up to 5, minus years of the deal. He signed in essence a 5 year deal, 22-24 with '25 & '26 void years. So contract voids before '25 league year begins and dead cap accelerates.
2) He isnt signing for 5 mill per year. He's guaranteed 6 mill this year and can make in upwards of 14 mill.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Couple of things,
1) Pretty sure that the cap hit from voided contract cant be pushed out. IIRC the max void years allowed is up to 5, minus years of the deal. He signed in essence a 5 year deal, 22-24 with '25 & '26 void years. So contract voids before '25 league year begins and dead cap accelerates.
2) He isnt signing for 5 mill per year. He's guaranteed 6 mill this year and can make in upwards of 14 mill.
1) I think that they can extend. It works on OTC's cap calculator which has never led me astray. If they extend, the contract wouldn't void before '25 league year begins, but the $5 mil. prorated amount showing in '25 can't go away. They can add to that though.
2) Yeah, basically sign him to the exact same contract, same structure for this year is what I'm proposing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, basically sign him to the exact same contract, same structure for this year is what I'm proposing.
Im not following you. Same contract as what?
He was due 15 mill this season, none was guaranteed so they could have cut him and he'd have been a UFA. They clearly had plans to spend $$ in free agency so couldnt utilize the post June to spread out his hit, this was the best way.
So in a perfect scenario, he costs 16 mill of cap over 2 years, and he's available in an emergency, vs taking a 15 mill hit this year and he's off the roster.
Either way it's pretty clear he isnt in any future plans, especially those pushing more dead cap down the road.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Im not following you. Same contract as what?
He was due 15 mill this season, none was guaranteed so they could have cut him and he'd have been a UFA. They clearly had plans to spend $$ in free agency so couldnt utilize the post June to spread out his hit, this was the best way.
So in a perfect scenario, he costs 16 mill of cap over 2 years, and he's available in an emergency, vs taking a 15 mill hit this year and he's off the roster.
Either way it's pretty clear he isnt in any future plans, especially those pushing more dead cap down the road.
Same contract as what he signed this year: $5 mil. base, $6 mil. guaranteed, + incentives.

IMO, they didn't redo his contract this year because they wanted to spend money in free agency. Per Jourdan, they redid it because they greatly value his contribution to back-up four positions.

So just like you note that he costs $16 mil. of cap over '24/'25 versus a $15 mil. cap hit in '24, same could be done for '25.

'25 base: $5 mil., guaranteed $6 mil., + same incentives as in '24.

You would have: $11.75 mil. of cap hit in '25 with him on the team versus a $10 mil. cap hit in '25 without him on the team.

It's not clear at all that he's not in any future plans. You were adamant that he wouldn't be brought back this year, but he was because they see value in him. Same could happen for the next year or two.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same contract as what he signed this year: $5 mil. base, $6 mil. guaranteed, + incentives.
That wasnt his contract though. That was what he was forced to take instead of getting cut. They wont have that power over him when its time to sign a UFA deal.
This was to be the last of his 3 year, 40 mill deal that came with a 10 mill signing bonus, base salary was 10 mill, and thanks to his '23 restructure he had a 5 mill roster bonus.
So going in to the '24 season, he had a 5 mill roster bonus pending, a 10 mill (non guaranteed contract) and 5 mill dead cap hit, with 10 mill of dead cap in '25
So keeping him as is would have cost them 30 mill over '24 & '25. 20 mill in '24, 10 mill in '25
Cutting him prior to '24 roster bonus would have saved them 15 mill, but be hit with 15 mill of dead cap. Cutting him post June 1 would have pushed 10 mill in to '25 but not until June 1.
So yeah, the move they made absolutely opened up money to be spent in FA, as his cap number went from 20 mill to 11.4.
Gave them an additional 3-4 mill to play with vs cutting him, and having him for an emergency.
So again, hopefully we dont see much of him and despite overspending by a ton it was more cost effective than just cutting him.
Best case scenario is he costs 21.4 mill over 24/25 and he never sees the field.
For sure that is a deal written to get him off the books in the most manageable way

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
That wasnt his contract though. That was what he was forced to take instead of getting cut. They wont have that power over him when its time to sign a UFA deal.
This was to be the last of his 3 year, 40 mill deal that came with a 10 mill signing bonus, base salary was 10 mill, and thanks to his '23 restructure he had a 5 mill roster bonus.
So going in to the '24 season, he had a 5 mill roster bonus pending, a 10 mill (non guaranteed contract) and 5 mill dead cap hit, with 10 mill of dead cap in '25
So keeping him as is would have cost them 30 mill over '24 & '25. 20 mill in '24, 10 mill in '25
Cutting him prior to '24 roster bonus would have saved them 15 mill, but be hit with 15 mill of dead cap. Cutting him post June 1 would have pushed 10 mill in to '25 but not until June 1.
So yeah, the move they made absolutely opened up money to be spent in FA, as his cap number went from 20 mill to 11.4.
Gave them an additional 3-4 mill to play with vs cutting him, and having him for an emergency.
So again, hopefully we dont see much of him and despite overspending by a ton it was more cost effective than just cutting him.
Best case scenario is he costs 21.4 mill over 24/25 and he never sees the field.
For sure that is a deal written to get him off the books in the most manageable way
I am well aware of the history and his original contract. I'm talking about his revised contract.

He wasn't forced BTW. He could have opted to get cut and hit the market. He didn't though b/c his agent likely realized that his market value is pretty close to in line with what the Rams signed him to: $5 - $6 mil. + incentives.

On the Rams side, rather than paying him $15 mil this year and not having him, they chose to pay him $16 mil over 2 years and keep him. It helps the cap and they retain his services.

It's very possible they can agree on another $6 mil. next year. The '25 cap hit would be $11.75 mil. They would only save $1.75 mil. in '25 cap to let the contract end versus extending as I'm suggesting. They may consider that worth it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

IMO, they didn't redo his contract this year because they wanted to spend money in free agency. Per Jourdan, they redid it because they greatly value his contribution to back-up four positions.

So just like you note that he costs $16 mil. of cap over '24/'25 versus a $15 mil. cap hit in '24, same could be done for '25.

'25 base: $5 mil., guaranteed $6 mil., + same incentives as in '24.

You would have: $11.75 mil. of cap hit in '25 with him on the team versus a $10 mil. cap hit in '25 without him on the team.

It's not clear at all that he's not in any future plans. You were adamant that he wouldn't be brought back this year, but he was because they see value in him. Same could happen for the next year or two.
I mentioned it before, Noteboom is a great back up, you just can't ride him too long though because he won't last.

Mr. Noteboom...
1000003546.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He wasn't forced BTW. He could have opted to get cut and hit the market. He didn't though b/c his agent likely realized that his market value is pretty close to in line with what the Rams signed him to: $5 - $6 mil. + incentives.
I give up....
His contract could hit 14 mill with the Rams, NOBODY was giving that deal. 6 mill is the absolute LOWEST it could be.

Alas, Rams played it as best they could. They'll be rid of him after the year, take their lumps.
If he plays at all this year, it's a mistake
No way are they signing the injury prone 30 year old next year. Not a chance

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I give up....
His contract could hit 14 mill with the Rams, NOBODY was giving that deal. 6 mill is the absolute LOWEST it could be.

Alas, Rams played it as best they could. They'll be rid of him after the year, take their lumps.
If he plays at all this year, it's a mistake
No way are they signing the injury prone 30 year old next year. Not a chance

Ok, we disagree. But let me remind you, you were this adamant before the Rams brought him back this year. And...you were Incorrect sir!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, we disagree. But let me remind you, you were this adamant before the Rams brought him back this year. And...you were Incorrect sir!
Adamant about what? That he wasn’t worth 30 mill over 2 years? I think we just proved the Rams agreed which is why they reduced his cap number by 8 million.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Adamant about what? That he wasn’t worth 30 mill over 2 years? I think we just proved the Rams agreed which is why they reduced his cap number by 8 million.
You were adamant he wasn't coming back and shot down all suggestions they could work out an agreement to retain him.