Rams signing Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Carson lacks coaching and confidence. In some ways he's like Mayfield, hungry for chance to play for the Rams and rehabilitate his career like Baker did. It's not like he doesn't have physical talents. His problem has always been between the ears. He's the youngest of the other FA vets I listed so this is a good signing as it will give them a veteran backup for a few years. He could bring stability to the position. No question in my mind had he been the QB against the Steelers the Rams win that game.

Welcome to LA Carson, a springboard to either finishing your career or reviving it. How it goes is up to him. I have no problem at all with this signing. If Wentz looks decent it means they can give their rookie QB next year a true redshirt year should they choose. It also potentially means that when that QB starts in 2025 they will have a vet backup well steeped in the offense and familiar with the WRs. Also, he's not a sitting duck in the backfield.

The guy has talent and an arm to match it. His problem has always been making bad decisions. Much of that might have been schematic and coaching. He's got protoypical size, the ability to move in the pocket and a very strong and normally accurate arm. I have to admit I like the signing at this stage of the season.

More importantly the Rams have signaled the NFL they aren't going to roll over and tank. What goes unsaid, is that Wentz provides them with a contingency if they can't get their targeted QB or QBs in this draft. They can reload and try it again in 2025.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Next year our backup QB is rumored to be Johnny Hekker…he will pooch kick on 3rd and longs.
...and we could still poach Manion off the Vikes practice squad and re-unite him with Hekk!
He has experience with that clipboard... :laugh1:

oldnotdead

Legend
Considering Stafford's increasing injury vulnerability that's a gamble the Rams cannot take. With Wentz as #2QB the Rams can win games they might otherwise lose should Stafford goes out. IMO it increases their chances of finishing at least 9-8 this year. That might even make the wildcard.

Purdy has come down to earth. He's been sacked 6 times in the last 3 games, has thrown 5 INTs in those games all losses. He's a mid tier two QB right now. If the Rams can stay healthy (including Stafford) down the stretch they will be competitive with any team offensively. The difference between winning and losing in the second half of the season will be the defense. Morris needs to can his conservative approach and call an aggressive game. The defense needs to play it's best players in their best positions, i.e. boundary CBs Witherspoon, Durant/Tomlinson, SCB Shelley, safeties Lake and Yeast. Dump the read/react and simply play one gap penetration. This allows the front 7 to play aggressively and to their strengths. This front 7 was built for that style.

The Rams can salvage the season and it starts against the Seachickens and Red Birds. Time to deep fry those fowls.

TexasRam

Legend
Solid backup. Someone that has had success at the NFL level.

Why was he not signed earlier :wtf:

30 years old. Has played at an MVP level before. Who knows what he can do in a Mcvay offense.

Unless we can get an Elite QB in '24 draft then I go LT, CB and pass rush in the retool.

muggmeister

Rookie
Solid backup. Someone that has had success at the NFL level.

Why was he not signed earlier :wtf:

30 years old. Has played at an MVP level before. Who knows what he can do in a Mcvay offense.

Unless we can get an Elite QB in '24 draft then I go LT, CB and pass rush in the retool.
He may have wanted more money than the Rams wanted to pay earlier in the season. I don't think this has anything to do with Stafford's thumb right now but he is just insurance in case Stafford gets hurt again. McVay and Snead may have alienated the entire fan base if we were to trot out Rypien another game much less if he would have to finish the season. Just my 2 cents.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So we've gone from Baker-mania to Carson what? Carson-mania just doesn't have the same ring to it. Carson-meh? Carson-WTF are you doing?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So we've gone from Baker-mania to Carson what? Carson-mania just doesn't have the same ring to it. Carson-meh? Carson-WTF are you doing?
Wentz-Wagon. He's big, strong and has a howitzer for an arm. The Rams have not had that in a backup QB in a very long time.
1699459166787.png

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I can't find the details of the length of the deal.
Probably a one year deal. Which means if he does well enough he'll be too expensive to re-sign. Heck, just being a backup for McVay might help him get a decent contract next year.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Probably a one year deal. Which means if he does well enough he'll be too expensive to re-sign. Heck, just being a backup for McVay might help him get a decent contract next year.

Likely its a vet minimum type deal prorated for the remainder of the season. Probably see the details in a day or two
I was really hoping for + 1 or 2 more years on the deal it would make me a lot more comfortable. At least we will have a watchable offense if Stafford goes down. I can't imagine what Puka, Kupp and Atwell were thinking, Puka must have been like well my first 9 games were pretty good. That group has to be breathing a huge sigh of relief

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Wentz-Wagon. He's big, strong and has a howitzer for an arm. The Rams have not had that in a backup QB in a very long time.
View attachment 62147
Agreed. He's actually a capable backup, something we haven't had in YEARS. Was hoping Stetson could be that (obviously, I drove the Stetson hype-train which has obviously derailed for the time being) but have been wrong.

Wentz at least gives some hope, it's a small hope, but he at least has had success and can make damn near all the throws.

I hoped Baker would return but didn't have the money. Wentz is a guy I could see being back next season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was really hoping for + 1 or 2 more years on the deal it would make me a lot more comfortable. At least we will have a watchable offense if Stafford goes down. I can't imagine what Puka, Kupp and Atwell were thinking, Puka must have been like well my first 9 games were pretty good. That group has to be breathing a huge sigh of relief
It would be great, for the Rams... I think to lock him up thru '24 it would require a decent chunk of $$.
Would love to think he'd sign, and then if he played well might even become trade worthy. But reality speaks otherwise