Rams Sign QB Devlin Hodges

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I actually like the Duck. My good friend and neighbor is a Steeler fan, so I watched most of his starts last year and the kid plays within himself and with a lot of energy from what I saw. Kinda reminds me of a bigger Wolford. The kid played well under some tough circumstances last year (Injuries all OVER that roster) and notched some wins. At the very least, it is good competition/insurance for The Wolf.

Imagine that, a Wolf and a Duck battling it our next year in training camp 2021. Should be fun.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually like the Duck. My good friend and neighbor is a Steeler fan, so I watched most of his starts last year and the kid plays within himself and with a lot of energy from what I saw. Kinda reminds me of a bigger Wolford. The kid played well under some tough circumstances last year (Injuries all OVER that roster) and notched some wins. At the very least, it is good competition/insurance for The Wolf.

Imagine that, a Wolf and a Duck battling it our next year in training camp 2021. Should be fun.
If Wolford is competition for Goff, then this kid cant be competition for Wolford....
He was a bright spot for the Steelers, until he had a couple games of film and then teams knew exactly how to play him.

On a side note, I'm guessing he merely signed a futures contract? Which is basically a no commitment invite to training camp. Semantics, I get it, but calling giving a guy a futures contract a "signing" is a little embellishing

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If Wolford is competition for Goff, then this kid cant be competition for Wolford....
He was a bright spot for the Steelers, until he had a couple games of film and then teams knew exactly how to play him.

On a side note, I'm guessing he merely signed a futures contract? Which is basically a no commitment invite to training camp. Semantics, I get it, but calling giving a guy a futures contract a "signing" is a little embellishing
Well, I know how some on here get their knickers in a twist when anyone mentions competition for Goff in any way, shape or fashion....ya digg?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think this whole McVay against Goff thing is a bit overblown imho. But I do think we are due to draft a QB for backup/developmental purposes. I thought we’d get someone in the 4-5th round last year. Could finally see it this year — unless McVay sees Wolford as that guy already. I’m sure McVay has desires on molding a young guy for future use. Maybe someone like Newman, mond or the Texas QB

Maybe McVay thinks Goff needs things to be too perfect to be successful at this level. That rarely happens in the NFL and won’t win a Super Bowl, which is the ultimate goal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I know how some on here get their knickers in a twist when anyone mentions competition for Goff in any way, shape or fashion....ya digg?
Well, I think it's insulting to any starting QB to think that an out of work, undrafted FA QB given an invite to training camp would provide competition for the #1 gig.
If not for this media created Goff "controversy", a move like this wouldnt even cross most folks news feed

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, I think it's insulting to any starting QB to think that an out of work, undrafted FA QB given an invite to training camp would provide competition for the #1 gig.
If not for this media created Goff "controversy", a move like this wouldnt even cross most folks news feed
This would be an excellent point if Goff didn't have two consecutive seasons of 20th ranked passer rating. But he does.

You're all huffy because in your mind Goff is the 2018 Goff. But he's not the 2018 Goff. He's the 2020 Goff and that changes everything. When your production is bottom third you can call it a "competition" even if you're just hoping it gives your talented 1 overall QB a kick in his ass to get better.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This would be an excellent point if Goff didn't have two consecutive seasons of 20th ranked passer rating. But he does.

You're all huffy because in your mind Goff is the 2018 Goff. But he's not the 2018 Goff. He's the 2020 Goff and that changes everything. When your production is bottom third you can call it a "competition" even if you're just hoping it gives your talented 1 overall QB a kick in his ass to get better.
I'm not "huffy" one bit. We are talking about scrap heap QB here. And you brought up Goff, not me. I said any starting QB. People are so infatuated with Goff that they have such a myopic view on things, its pretty pathetic. Any team's incumbent starter is not being challenged by a less than JAG who merely gets an invite to training camp. Teams will have 90 man rosters, and will need at least 4 arms in camp to allow the fence riders a chance to show their stuff.
As it does pertain to Goff, and the need to push him? I would hope they would draft a kid, 3rd round or so, then I'd say he has competition on his hands.
I surely support Goff, he's our QB. But by all means, if they can replace him with someone better, I'm all for it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not "huffy" one bit. We are talking about scrap heap QB here. And you brought up Goff, not me. I said any starting QB. People are so infatuated with Goff that they have such a myopic view on things, its pretty pathetic. Any team's incumbent starter is not being challenged by a less than JAG who merely gets an invite to training camp. Teams will have 90 man rosters, and will need at least 4 arms in camp to allow the fence riders a chance to show their stuff.
As it does pertain to Goff, and the need to push him? I would hope they would draft a kid, 3rd round or so, then I'd say he has competition on his hands.
I surely support Goff, he's our QB. But by all means, if they can replace him with someone better, I'm all for it.
It is kind of funny if you say a QB is just a backup then you're getting defensive about Goff when he isn't even brought up. The funny part of this is the Rams haven't even acknowledged the signing it's just coming from Hodges social media. He's not showing on any roster in the futures signing or active roster that I've seen. Looks like a camp body to me but what do I know, I think our QB can be redeemed.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I like the thought, but if they use a 3rd on a "competition" qb considering that they have no 1st rd pick then I think that they have essentially wasted that pick. They might as well move on from Goff asap if they don't use that pick on the oline, lb, or a skill need. I supposed they could strike gold but what are the chances of that? This would basically be conceding an unknown amount of years to a rebuild that isn't even here yet.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the thought, but if they use a 3rd on a "competition" qb considering that they have no 1st rd pick then I think that they have essentially wasted that pick. They might as well move on from Goff asap if they don't use that pick on the oline, lb, or a skill need. I supposed they could strike gold but what are the chances of that? This would basically be conceding an unknown amount of years to a rebuild that isn't even here yet.
Well, that's a different topic altogether. I'm not saying they should draft a QB in the 3rd, I'm saying if the team wants to add a QB to push Goff, and possibly replace him even, that's where I'd go. Not the scrap heap of undrafted QB

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is kind of funny if you say a QB is just a backup then you're getting defensive about Goff when he isn't even brought up. The funny part of this is the Rams haven't even acknowledged the signing it's just coming from Hodges social media. He's not showing on any roster in the futures signing or active roster that I've seen. Looks like a camp body to me but what do I know, I think our QB can be redeemed.
Futures contract. Again, that's really embellishing to say "The Rams signed him"

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
no matter how uncomfortable it might make you.
9BB2C0EF-81A1-422E-B24C-7F54DA75508E.jpeg

KayJay

Starter
We are all for replacing Goff with something better. This is less about supporting Goff, and more in line with actually bringing someone worth while into camp. I'm going to be brutally honest here, none of these guys currently on the roster have the capability of starting on any other team. Nobody is infatuated with Goff, we are just sick of the narrative that the man isn't good. It gets old. I have my frustrations with him too. What's actually pathetic is the lack of logic that has been used so often in here. Cherry picking numbers, refusing to acknowledge context.

Using cognitive dissonance when it comes to other QB's. Its not rocket science, no one is asking you to support the starting QB. What we are asking is to keep things in perspective. Nobody is interested in a "I secretly hate Goff so I'm going to passive aggressively look for opportunities to take shots at the members of the ROD community because they don't hate him as much as I do" circle jerk. And that better be one hell of a third round quarterback. In fact, its less about what round; and more based on the scouting. This is a winning football team, we are looking for better results. The thought of replacing Goff is a business decision, not an emotional one.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are all for replacing Goff with something better. This is less about supporting Goff, and more in line with actually bringing someone worth while into camp. I'm going to be brutally honest here, none of these guys currently on the roster have the capability of starting on any other team. Nobody is infatuated with Goff, we are just sick of the narrative that the man isn't good. It gets old. I have my frustrations with him too. What's actually pathetic is the lack of logic that has been used so often in here. Cherry picking numbers, refusing to acknowledge context.

Using cognitive dissonance when it comes to other QB's. Its not rocket science, no one is asking you to support the starting QB. What we are asking is to keep things in perspective. Nobody is interested in a "I secretly hate Goff so I'm going to passive aggressively look for opportunities to take shots at the members of the ROD community because they don't hate him as much as I do" circle jerk. And that better be one hell of a third round quarterback. In fact, its less about what round; and more based on the scouting. This is a winning football team, we are looking for better results. The thought of replacing Goff is a business decision, not an emotional one.
This might be the best post ive ever seen on here....