Rams Sign QB Devlin Hodges

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I didn't call any person stupid sorry if you feel saying an idea is stupid is offensive. Some of the things people are suggesting happen to be truly mind boggling and that doesn't even begin to what you can read on the Rams sub on reddit.

I may have been a bit off step there OldSchool.
It wasn't offensive to me personally, I just think some
of these guys may be just getting hooked on the Rams or
young in age and maybe their not as educated on the sport as others
they have Ideas and yea I get a laugh out of some of the stuff. I just prefer
not to talk down their ideas.
But again I'm probably a bit out of line here. Been a bad day.
My apologies Sir.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I may have been a bit off step there OldSchool.
It wasn't offensive to me personally, I just think some
of these guys may be just getting hooked on the Rams or
young in age and maybe their not as educated on the sport as others
they have Ideas and yea I get a laugh out of some of the stuff. I just prefer
not to talk down their ideas.
But again I'm probably a bit out of line here. Been a bad day.
My apologies Sir.
I'm a very abrupt up front and brutally honest person and I do not deny it at all or claim to be a great person :) I also do not get easily offended and welcome any and all discussion. There's no need for an apology in my book.

I am however beyond tired of the anti Goff discussions especially since talks about improving the rest of the roster are largely avoided around here. No matter what QB we bring in the OLine has to be improved. A speedy WR and improved game plan/play calling from McVay would help a lot too and those all need to be improved regardless of who our QB is. The singular thought process about how to make the Rams better in 2021 in my book really won't do that and it just is an attempt to mask other problems. It's another way of kicking the can down the road and it won't help us in the end. IMO.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no issues with vertically challenged individuals...I just prefer QB’s over 6’2 unless they are extremely athletic & have big hands like Russell Wilson
But you loved Dieter back in the day....

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Hard to believe we are in a place now where Gardner Minshew is being suggested as an upgrade over Goff...

And that is saying more about the sanity of this board vs the ability of those QBs.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sean says “Hi Everyone”

1AE7F9F2-E783-4652-818B-619E8F519AC2.jpeg

Hobgoblin

Rookie
I'm a very abrupt up front and brutally honest person and I do not deny it at all or claim to be a great person :) I also do not get easily offended and welcome any and all discussion. There's no need for an apology in my book.

I am however beyond tired of the anti Goff discussions especially since talks about improving the rest of the roster are largely avoided around here. No matter what QB we bring in the OLine has to be improved. A speedy WR and improved game plan/play calling from McVay would help a lot too and those all need to be improved regardless of who our QB is. The singular thought process about how to make the Rams better in 2021 in my book really won't do that and it just is an attempt to mask other problems. It's another way of kicking the can down the road and it won't help us in the end. IMO.

Somebody get the front office on the line. Old is going to solve all our problems and shit sans adressing Goffs turnovers and hot/cold play. We just need to conjure up some picks for the most perfectist olive and a super speed WR who play for peanuts. Blue font.

God forbid anyone critique Goff....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somebody get the front office on the line. Old is going to solve all our problems and shit sans adressing Goffs turnovers and hot/cold play. We just need to conjure up some picks for the most perfectist olive and a super speed WR who play for peanuts. Blue font.

God forbid anyone critique Goff....
Critique away! God forbid somebody defend him and think there are bigger issues with the team than him. Everybody has ideas on how to improve the Rams.

See how fun this game is?

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Looks like there's interest in mobile quarterbacks.
There's one over 6 feet tall that McVay's worked with before.

eaphclmpoldrd9cptno3.jpg

This place would probably go nuclear if the Rams signed RGIII, which could be fun.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Yep. And you also have the right not to call others Ideas stupid. Because if someone were
to call another's idea or post stupid, that would be a pretty shitty, disrespectful thing to
do. Don't cha think?
I guess one would probably be better inclined to look straight ahead , rather than down one's nose, as
not to bump their head and look foolish.
If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, quacks like a duck...I think you see where I'm going with this.

Tbh, this fan base has made me take a big sigh of frustration.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Guy we have at QB3 is probably better than RG3. But I'm sure RG3's dad would have a lot of cool tips and stuff for the Rams' coaching staff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guy we have at QB3 is probably better than RG3. But I'm sure RG3's dad would have a lot of cool tips and stuff for the Rams' coaching staff.

There's also the fact that Washington had RGIII playing scout-team safety when McVay was the OC (the first year Gruden gave him play-calling duties). I guess Gruden could have been behind that, but something tells me McVay wasn't a fan.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But you loved Dieter back in the day....

i sure did...Still Remember a friend of mine commenting when we were watching highlights and they showed Brock, saying he looked so old and I defended Brock not realizing Brock would only be the Ram QB for one season.

1611578803123.png

oldnotdead

Legend
WHO IS DEVLIN HODGES?

Do not underestimate this signing. Is he competition for Goff? Not at this point but he's definitely competition for Wolford.

( From Pass2Win.com) BREAKDOWN:

Devlin Hodges broke FCS/I-AA passing records of Alcorn St. Steve McNair for career… measures just under 6’1… sturdy, compact build… very smart, alert and creative passer… sets up quickly with well-balanced passing platform… high ball carriage always ready to throw… shows awareness in the pocket but calm, cool under pressure… excellent short-stride, shoulder torque and rapid release… the ball is coming out with Hodges… displays overall average velocity but zippy from mid-range-in… plays with an effective school-yard style… whatever it takes to complete the pass… varies release points as needed… though high-energy, Hodges is poised in live action… clearly trusts his eyes, intuition and his receivers… Hodges’ vision and anticipation was far ahead of his receivers… he’s throwing where they are supposed to be… lets it rip before receivers break; at times that’s a turn-over… very decisive and quick in his progressions… gets out of the pocket smartly but always looking for the throw… rarely gives up on a play… with Hodges at QB, all potential receivers must stay “hot” as the ball is coming… Devlin Hodges is a savvy, aggressive and productive passer that can be a capable starter in the NFL

IS HE MOBILE? Average.
DOES HE HAVE POCKET AWARENESS? Yes.
IS HE ACCURATE? Very.
WHAT KIND OF RELEASE? ¾ but varies as needed.
ARM STRENGTH? Just-above-average.
FOOTWORK? Solid.
CAN HE READ A DEFENSE? Yes.
CAN HE MAKE THE PRO THROWS? Yes, but best inside.

He's a dink and dunk QB who relies on timing patterns and accuracy. He's not a running QB but is mobile enough to get a 1st down but primarily his mobility to extend plays. Definitely not a vertical passing threat which might not play well in the NFL as the DBs will sit on the short to mid-range routes.

But more importantly, he was personally scouted by Les Snead. IMO Snead was looking for a long term backup for Goff. Hodges is the definition of a scheme dependent QB who needs WRs that run crisp, precise route (which the Rams WRs do). Because of his lack of vertical game, he was a poor fit for the Steeler's offense. We are looking at a #3 QB at this point. But with Wolford in a contract year his future is uncertain. Because of Wolford's ability to throw deep, he's obviously the #2 in this offense.