Rams Sign Punter Corey Bojorquez

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
you don;t know that for sure though sir.. just saying

"for sure"? No, but I could always go back and post times where Hekker clearly doesn't take a full swing at the ball to ensure there won't be a return and it's like he's choking up. One can easily notice this based on his kicking form... and he was pretty dialed in to his return teams because he generally kept his kicks short enough for the coverage teams to do their bit.

I'm sure enough to bet if I did that.

Also, the other issue was the Rams being in crappy punting positions... far too often our "march down the field" offense would stall and leave us punting at our 40 or 50 and that's not a lot of space to really boom a punt and flip the field...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
4 million for a punter is a luxury.
Dont know how much Bojorquez is making, Hekker is getting 3.75, with a dead cap hit of 2.3.
So if Bojorquez is making 700k, they are saving, or only saving (depending on how you look at it) 750k to dump Hekker for this guy.
So if a change happens, it isnt due to $$

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
4 million for a punter is a luxury.
Dont know how much Bojorquez is making, Hekker is getting 3.75, with a dead cap hit of 2.3.
So if Bojorquez is making 700k, they are saving, or only saving (depending on how you look at it) 750k to dump Hekker for this guy.
So if a change happens, it isnt due to $$
?

From what I see checking Spotrac and Over-the-Cap, and the cap savings wold be $2.6M if Hekker was cut per-June 1; and $3.75M if he was released post-June 1

Ellard80

Legend
"for sure"? No, but I could always go back and post times where Hekker clearly doesn't take a full swing at the ball to ensure there won't be a return and it's like he's choking up. One can easily notice this based on his kicking form... and he was pretty dialed in to his return teams because he generally kept his kicks short enough for the coverage teams to do their bit.

I'm sure enough to bet if I did that.

Also, the other issue was the Rams being in crappy punting positions... far too often our "march down the field" offense would stall and leave us punting at our 40 or 50 and that's not a lot of space to really boom a punt and flip the field...
its one thing if the punts were all high punts designed to help the coverage - but they were not.. many were line drives ect.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
4 pages in... I am still in the “keep him” camp.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
?

From what I see checking Spotrac and Over-the-Cap, and the cap savings wold be $2.6M if Hekker was cut per-June 1; and $3.75M if he was released post-June 1

Hmm. Damn. That is a fair bit.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Even though our newly signed punter Corey Bojorquez stunk in 2019, the young lad shot up the charts in 2020 as was the number one ranked punter.

Was it a fluke? Bojorquez punted a lot less than your average NFL punter in 2020. Only 41 total punts.

Why was Bojorquez not signed by the Bills or any other NFL teams until the Rams recently signed him is quite concerning. (red flags?)

Hekker was not himself in 2020.

Maybe Johnny has lost some strength and velocity on his punting skills?

Maybe Hekker will never be as good as he was in his prime. Nobody knows for sure.

what we all know is the number one punter in 2020 was Corey Bojorquez.

The Bills and no other team wanted him until the Rams just signed him. Head Scratcher???

Bojorquez 24 years old. 2020 41 punts ranked #1 avg per punt 50.8
Hekker 31 years old. 2020 67 punts ranked #17 avg per punt 45.6

caba8bf944dfede91b08aeb35980c32d.jpg

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Even though our newly signed punter Corey Bojorquez stunk in 2019, the young lad shot up the charts in 2020 as was the number one ranked punter.

Was it a fluke? Bojorquez punted a lot less than your average NFL punter in 2020. Only 41 total punts.

Why was Bojorquez not signed by the Bills or any other NFL teams until the Rams recently signed him is quite concerning. (red flags?)

Hekker was not himself in 2020.

Maybe Johnny has lost some strength and velocity on his punting skills?

Maybe Hekker will never be as good as he was in his prime. Nobody knows for sure.

what we all know is the number one punter in 2020 was Corey Bojorquez.

The Bills and no other team wanted him until the Rams just signed him. Head Scratcher???

Bojorquez 24 years old. 2020 41 punts ranked #1 avg per punt 50.8
Hekker 31 years old. 2020 67 punts ranked #17 avg per punt 45.6

caba8bf944dfede91b08aeb35980c32d.jpg
Hell yeah. Good to see you bro

tempests

Hall of Fame
McVay doesn’t seem to favor the fake punts. Maybe he sees that value as nonessential.
I doubt many consider it essential. They'd rather score TDs than needing to rely on fourth down conversions.

That being said, creativity and unpredictability on special teams is not such a bad thing to have. Teams have to account for the possibility of the fake whether the Rams go through with it or not.

Running 0 fake punts in 2020 probably had more to do with who our special teams coach was.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
?

You’re Not reading it correctly.
his dead cap hit is 2.3 mill, post 6/1 just means it’s spread out over 2 years vs all in 2021
His salary for 2021 is 3.75 mill

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Hmm. Damn. That is a fair bit.
Not to mention his hit in 22' & 23' is nearly $5M per yr and that obviously would be saved as well.

I still don't rule out a Havenstein trade. If they go OL early, I could see him being moved with a post June 1st trade designation. I think they can do that. That would save $6.7M in cap room and again as much in 22'.

Next yr they are also against the cap so those two moves get them $11-$12M of cap room next yr.... And even more when you consider they can carry over this yrs cap space to next yr.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You’re Not reading it correctly.
his dead cap hit is 2.3 mill, post 6/1 just means it’s spread out over 2 years vs all in 2021
His salary for 2021 is 3.75 mill
Not sure that is correct.

Agree that his salary is $3.75 but his 2021 cap-hit is $4.9.

Also agree that the dead-$ is $2.3 but that results in a savings of $2.6 (4.9 minus 2.3).

Agree that a post-June cut allows the Rams to spread-out the $2.3 dead-$ but that translates to just $1.2 of dead-$ in 2021; and that increases the cap savings to $3.7 (same 4.9 but now minus 1.2).

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I doubt many consider it essential. They'd rather score TDs than needing to rely on fourth down conversions.

That being said, creativity and unpredictability on special teams is not such a bad thing to have. Teams have to account for the possibility of the fake whether the Rams go through with it or not.

Running 0 fake punts in 2020 probably had more to do with who our special teams coach was.
Or that McVay doesn't like the fourth down risks. Look how many times he'd call run plays on third and long in their own end.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure that is correct.

Agree that his salary is $3.75 but his 2021 cap-hit is $4.9.

Also agree that the dead-$ is $2.3 but that results in a savings of $2.6 (4.9 minus 2.3)
You’re double dipping the dead cap.
The cap hit in 2021 is 3.75 mill salary + 495k signing bonus + 692k restructure hit. Total cap hit if he stays 4.93 mill.
The signing bonus + restructure is part of the dead cap hit they take if he goes away.
Then there's another 1.14 mill in dead cap for restructure hits in 2022 & 2023
So before or after 6/1 they "save" the 3.75 mill, but either take the full hit of 2.3 mill in 21, or split between 21 & 22.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have to admit, I only read the 4th page on this topic because I only read the last page when the topic is about punters or kickers. However, I will admit that many a game is won or lost because of the punter or kicker. I love Hekker put if he can be replaced without any drop off he is gone because of the money and Gay is defiantly a keeper.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On a side note, and I don’t know much about Dallas, but why would they be looking for a punter? The kid they have, Niswander, kicked the 2nd half of the year for a 47.2 avg and is under contract for cheap the next 2 years.