Rams Sign Punter Corey Bojorquez

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Hekker may have some nagging injury we don't know about...I can't see the Rams dumping him for cap space so I don't think Hekker is going anywhere but I guess when a quality punter (skill position) comes available you grab him if you can...

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
View attachment 45039View attachment 45040View attachment 45041

In 2020 Hekker was the 17th ranked punter on a horrendous 30th ranked special teams unit that transitioned the ST coach ASAP when the season ended while Bojórquez ranked first in net punting yards on an 8th ranked Bills team.

Also if you look at the previous year Bojórquez was ranked 2nd to last while Hekker was ranked 3rd in net punting avg. Just because the numbers from 2019 don’t back up your view point you still have to take them into account. ( or should anyway)

Also, nobody’s insulting anybody here. Calm your tits. Your points are incorrect factually and statistically and I’m merely pointing that out in a discussion about our football team. If you think it’s better to open competition or the team looking to saving money fine, but when someone gives incorrect opinions on statistical fallacies one shouldn’t be offended by correct information.

If you took anything I’ve posted in this thread as an micro-aggression you for sure would know the difference between an insult from me and a discussion. And I’ll leave it at that.
Well where I come from it's an insult. I've been a Rams fan 42 years and was just looking for a place to talk football. If that's a problem, I'll go find another one.

oldnotdead

Legend
Personally, I think it could mean a draft-day trade of Hekker, one that they have already tentatively set up with another team should a targeted player be on the board at that pick. If their targeted pick is off the board then it simply becomes a competition between Hekker and Bojorquez. There is no doubt that distance is important when factoring in field position. The Rams will face a lot of teams this season where field position will be a factor, especially with their defense. That said they have to be confident that they won't outkick their coverage, and that is where hang time will factor in just not distance.

Also, if Goff is going to be held accountable for a subpar year why not Hekker? His average in 2020 was the lowest in his career since his rookie year. Also, Hekker is 31 vs Bojorquez being 24. This could end up being another Gay vs Zuerlein type of thing in terms of looking at the position over the long term and hoping their coaching can improve Bojorquez's issues.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol @ Those thinking we’ll get rid of Hekker.

Just nonsense. McVay is known to take care of his vets, especially the valuable ones and this is only to host the EXTENSIVE punt and kick returners and coverage teams that were absolute shit last year!

Still can’t believe that guy however you spell his stupid name is in the organization still!!

Hekker has been mediocre and not worth the money for two years now, but it was really bad last year.

This is the same org that moved on from Gurley and Goff. Getting rid of an overpaid punter would be an easy decision comparatively.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For this trend of dropping players who aren't performing...

NFL fans would be happier looking at their team from a one year at a time perspective.

A year ago, before Brady signed, the Bucs were a mediocre non playoff team. The Niners have had one winning season in 7 years and they were up 10 in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.

The trend here is that life in the NFL is short - even as a coach - so why wait? And the results bear it out. Not being able to see that Hekker clearly wasn't worth the money last year is just choosing to be blind.

The gamble is - will he return to form? He might. And we might keep him anyways. But for as good as he was in that Bears game, we still win it without him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Maybe it’s something that puts a fire under Hekker... But I’d be careful here.

Hekker... more than any punter EVER in my fandom has been a game changer.

That flip of field possession when we need it. He’s done that so many times.

The fakes. He is a weapon or the very least a threat.

Put me in the camp this is “something to watch” but probably more so for the return competition.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Personally, I think it could mean a draft-day trade of Hekker, one that they have already tentatively set up with another team should a targeted player be on the board at that pick.

IMO, Hekker could be going to the Dallas Cowboys and it will pain me to see the band back together with that damn Star on their helmets.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, Hekker could be going to the Dallas Cowboys and it will pain me to see the band back together with that damn Star on their helmets.
LWEYH2c.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Had a better season? Lol

So Johnny has always been top 5 and now he was middle of the pack last year and now he’s trash? ‍♂️

Guess where Bodjurrez or however you spell his name ranked in 2019? Dead next to last!!! :alol:
By your own measuring stick this sounds ludacris to even consider.
Go Dark Helmet GIF

So improving from year to year is a negative? And going the other way is now a positive?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
True, but sell high as best yrs are likely behind him and his salary doesn't help a team that will be up against the cap the next several yrs. $4M punters are a luxury.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
True, but sell high as best yrs are likely behind him and his salary doesn't help a team that will be up against the cap the next several yrs. $4M punters are a luxury.

I will miss his energy, ability to throw from punt formation plus his ability as a holder, I haven't loved a Ginger so much since Gilligan's Island.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Lol @ Those thinking we’ll get rid of Hekker.

this is only to host the EXTENSIVE punt and kick returners and coverage teams that were absolute shit last year!

You think they signed a guy who was 1st in Gross and 5th in Net punting averages in 2020 to be a camp-leg?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe it’s something that puts a fire under Hekker... But I’d be careful here.

Hekker... more than any punter EVER in my fandom has been a game changer.

That flip of field possession when we need it. He’s done that so many times.

The fakes. He is a weapon or the very least a threat.

Put me in the camp this is “something to watch” but probably more so for the return competition.

McVay doesn’t seem to favor the fake punts. Maybe he sees that value as nonessential.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said last year. And don't post that shit like I'm a moron. Go look at Hekker in 2019. He sucked too. We will get along better without the insults.
And while looking strictly at stats, if some "expert" wants to point at 2019, they ought to take a look at what Bojórquez avg was at home games, vs on the road. Effing frozen wind tunnel up there in Buffalo, and I dont see any road games to "Tasty Wings Town" for the Rams any time soon. I love Hekker, but to not comprehend the advantage he has had kicking in such favorable conditions for his career is silly
snip.PNG

Attachments

• F2E538E8-6F90-4F1D-8662-6BEC80780512.jpeg
    F2E538E8-6F90-4F1D-8662-6BEC80780512.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 64

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Personally, I think it could mean a draft-day trade of Hekker, one that they have already tentatively set up with another team should a targeted player be on the board at that pick. If their targeted pick is off the board then it simply becomes a competition between Hekker and Bojorquez. There is no doubt that distance is important when factoring in field position. The Rams will face a lot of teams this season where field position will be a factor, especially with their defense. That said they have to be confident that they won't outkick their coverage, and that is where hang time will factor in just not distance.

Also, if Goff is going to be held accountable for a subpar year why not Hekker? His average in 2020 was the lowest in his career since his rookie year. Also, Hekker is 31 vs Bojorquez being 24. This could end up being another Gay vs Zuerlein type of thing in terms of looking at the position over the long term and hoping their coaching can improve Bojorquez's issues.

It’s a good chance. If there is any time they could recoup some trade capital from Hekker, there is no time like the present. They save a bit of cap space and pick up a player. But if he’s only worth a seventh round pic, then they’d be better served to have an open competition in camp.

But if Hekker bought them a few spots to move up and get a player they covet, then it’s likely worth it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View attachment 45039View attachment 45040View attachment 45041

In 2020 Hekker was the 17th ranked punter on a horrendous 30th ranked special teams unit that transitioned the ST coach ASAP when the season ended while Bojórquez ranked first in net punting yards on an 8th ranked Bills team.

Also if you look at the previous year Bojórquez was ranked 2nd to last while Hekker was ranked 3rd in net punting avg. Just because the numbers from 2019 don’t back up your view point you still have to take them into account. ( or should anyway)

Also, nobody’s insulting anybody here. Calm your tits. Your points are incorrect factually and statistically and I’m merely pointing that out in a discussion about our football team. If you think it’s better to open competition or the team looking to saving money fine, but when someone gives incorrect opinions on statistical fallacies one shouldn’t be offended by correct information.

If you took anything I’ve posted in this thread as an micro-aggression you for sure would know the difference between an insult from me and a discussion. And I’ll leave it at that.
He's also the highest paid punter in the league which for a team fighting to stay under the cap is a luxury. I think this front office and head coach has proven that any move is a possibility. Hekker along with the special teams have declined a few years in a row now as well so who knows what they'll do.

Ram65

Legend
Very interesting debate. Serioulsy, Hekker is getting the big bucks and has regressed along with the STs. I mention a few time in past couple of years.

I think Hekker has been holding back. Never thought I would miss the likes of Chase Reynolds as much as I have of late. The Rams gunners and coverage players have been really bad. Seemed like Hekker was doing more angling to the sidelines and holding back distance. That could have affected his effectiveness. On the TBs he had some close ones that went into the endzone.

All in all, anything is possible with his salary. This year it is a higher percentage with the gap cutback. I don't see the Rams changing going all in again for the Super Bowl. In a close game with better STs Hekker can be a big difference-maker.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I don’t think we’ve answered the most important question here. Can Bojorquez throw a pass?:thinking:

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t think we’ve answered the most important question here. Can Bojorquez throw a pass?:thinking:
Not sure it matters. Did we even attempt a fake punt last year? I know blue text and all, but some people have stated Heker's throwing ability as a factor. I am just not sure it is under the current regime.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well, we know Bellyfat loves him....

maybe we can get a 2nd rounder from the Putriots!