Rams select Puka Nacua (WR) with the 177th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
He plays smart like Kupp, he has great hands and always seems to be wide open like Kupp...

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He will struggle to get separation at the NFL level with his lack of speed/suddenness but he fits the mold of McVay’s receivers since he can do some of the dirty work.

Anyone know if he has experience on special teams?
McVay may try to use him like the Niners use Samuel...passes set up behind the LOS and find some running room...many of his highlights seems to suggest that's how he was used.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
McVay may try to use him like the Niners use Samuel...passes set up behind the LOS and find some running room...many of his highlights seems to suggest that's how he was used.
He’s not as dynamic and talented as Samuel so will need to offer more as a WR - which I am sure he can, especially in terms of route running and timing.

With Samuel, you know it’s coming, but similar to the old I-Formation with Eric Dickerson, it doesn’t mean you can stop it

jjab360

Legend
That’s on Ben Sko. We’ll see how his play is compares.The Rams also lost their PR/WR to the vikings. They played towards his strengths,so I expect Mcvay to put each player in a position to succeed weather it’s what Robert Woods did or not.
Robert Woods was The Best Run Blocking WR The Rams may ever have had?
Idk about that, Kupp is a great run blocker as well. In fact, I seriously doubt there's any other WR that's trusted to block at the point of attack as much as Kupp is.

jap

Legend
Robert Woods was The Best Run Blocking WR The Rams may ever have had?
Sir Isaac Bruce may have a problem with that statement, especially with his personal best of fourteen! pancake blocks in a single game!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Idk about that, Kupp is a great run blocker as well. In fact, I seriously doubt there's any other WR that's trusted to block at the point of attack as much as Kupp is.
Well Robert Woods got team MVP because of his leadership & Run Blocking.If Nothing else it was The Culture he brought into The Rams Ot.If you were to ask What NFL Player was the most influential it no doubtably be
ROBERT WOODS

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sir Isaac Bruce may have a problem with that statement, especially with his personal best of fourteen! pancake blocks in a single game!!!
Don’t know where you got that stat from ,but either way he was know for being one of The Best & most willing run blocking WR’s in The NFL.I won’t take anything away from Cooper Kupp because he has kept up with that Legacy. I don’t know what Puka will do as a Ram,but it’s just not The Run sweep that made Robert Woods a special Rams.

Last time I saw him at a Rams training camp I looked up & he could have hit me & knocked me on my AZZ if he kept running.He beat Jalen Ramsey & turned up the sidelines toward the End Zone.He didn’t stop running full speed into the end zone. Never seen a NFL player in Pads run so Fast.He had that shield cover as a face mask & seeing the reflection into the sunlight was breath taking.
Just unforgetful what a GREAT RAM he was for what he brought day in & day out.His Final History that Legacy as a Ram Ended in an Honorable way. He had a better season than Allen Robinson. -Jared Goff was a good Ram & I will always cheer for them. I did enjoyJared Goff’s lossing streak without Sean Mcvay,but to know (seen) him as a Ram & beyond shows what he is made of & why The Rams took him over Carson Wentz & traded up for him.
-However you want to look at Rams History you can. Bruce & the 91fwy will always be something of what he brought from California to St.Louis. Jerome didn’t go,but we know he went into The HOF.As well as The Life & memories of Kevin Greene & his Gang.
Kurt Warner was The MVP,but Trent Greene would have won The Superbowl in 1999(Prince) with that team. Torry Hollt had an excellent Rookie year & Armey drafted him.That Faulk trade made it so The Rams didn’t draft Edgerin James instead.That was a Great Top 10 draft year & Torry needs to get in.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If he has an injury past, and wasn’t an early pick because of durability concerns, I would hope that McVay doesn’t use him that way. Being tackled by DBs instead of linebackers is better for his health.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah, dudes not Debo. He's a replacement for Woods: end-arounds, jet sweeps, blocking, YAC off his routes. And we'd be lucky if he can stay healthy and do it. @So Ram - Skow offers none of these things other than blocking, totally different receiver.

Last edited:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
it might have been said, but what exactly is his injury history?

I saw a broken foot when he played for Washington…but that’s all I could find

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, dudes not Debo. He's a replacement for Woods: end-arounds, jet sweeps, blocking, YAC off his routes. And we'd be lucky if he can stay healthy and do it. @So Ram - Skow offers none of these things other than blocking, totally different receiver.
Yes - Ben Sko is good in the flat on crossing routes.I give him that for sure,but that is Sean Mcvay’s forte in underneath opening the field.
Hopkins has good hands,but is not a good route runner.This Cutch kid will be interesting to see how he progresses??
IMO special teams will play a BIG PART of both those players making the team.Ben Sko is a player the coaching staff really likes,but yes your absolutely correct that he doesn’t
Possess good catching ability.He did improve last season,but is not reliable.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Another slow anti-elusive guy McVay can throw WR screens to on 1st and 3rd down. Yay?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My Puka Update...

I have been wanting to get a replacement of my long lost one for a long time... but when we drafted Puka, I took it as a message from above. His name means something completely different in Samoan than Hawaiian, but I'm still hoping that this brings some good fortune to Puka and our Beloved Rams. I never should have given my old one to that chick years ago.

I had no idea that finding a REAL Puka Shell necklace would be difficult now. Back in The 808 in the 70's it was no problem getting one... well apparently real puka shells were over harvested and created a problem that resulted in the puka shells normally found today are man made fakes. Fuck that... I ain't wearing a cubic zirconia puka.

I contacted my old neighbor and they were able to get me a vintage real one. Should have it in about a week.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When Kupp went down the production slid to a halt. Much of that was due to a lack of a chain mover. Skow has flexibility and is tough but he isn't gonna give you a high volume of catches in the slot underneath. Nether will McCutch.

This guy might. He has some of that sneaky elusiveness for his size that Kupp brings.
I don't know why I was a little turned off when Nacua was compared with Benny Skow. I know that Skowronek missed some critical catches early in his career and I was upset about that. But he has well since then and I need to change my gut response about him.

Comparing Nacua to Kupp is a different kettle of fish. I hope he's that good, but it's a pretty high bar for him to clear. Kupp is one of the best route runner's I have ever seen and that creates his separation, IMO. He is elusive because he doesn't broadcast his cuts and forces defenders to make decisions with their hips that puts them out of position. Kupp isn't the most physically talented WR in Rams history, but he might become the best in Rams history.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't know why I was a little turned off when Nacua was compared with Benny Skow. I know that Skowronek missed some critical catches early in his career and I was upset about that. But he has well since then and I need to change my gut response about him.

Comparing Nacua to Kupp is a different kettle of fish. I hope he's that good, but it's a pretty high bar for him to clear. Kupp is one of the best route runner's I have ever seen and that creates his separation, IMO. He is elusive because he doesn't broadcast his cuts and forces defenders to make decisions with their hips that puts them out of position. Kupp isn't the most physically talented WR in Rams history, but he might become the best in Rams history.
Nacua is a Kupp type wideout is all I was saying. They are very similar in who they are. Both have great hands. Both are big wideouts and nearly TE size. Both are physical one on one and good at getting angles on guys. Both have tape in college showing them getting open quickly which allows for high catch volume and production. He is of course unlikely to be as good as Kupp. Also he has a history of getting hurt. But in terms of guessing how the team sees him and why they drafted him it is pretty clear, to me at least, that they brought him in to have a backup element for possession for if Kupp misses time.

Skow is a different type of wideout. To my eye at least. He's smart and dependable and too much has been made of his drops IMO, but he's not a quick separator. He's not a guy you can go to for that role that Kupp plays if he misses time. But that's not a huge slam on him, as few are. Nacua might not either but he's an attempt to gain that I think.

Lastly I think Kupp is our greatest receiver ever. And I wouldn't say he's not talented. I think he's talented as hell, he is just a hybrid who is half TE and half WR. But there isn't a guy I would take over him in our history. Kupp is the MFing dude.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kupp and Woods were both great blockers. They might be the best tandem of WR's as far as blocking, that I have ever seen in horns.