Rams select Puka Nacua (WR) with the 177th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Kyren Williams should also benefit from an improved offensive line and passing game. He's our best pass blocker, a speedy back, nice receiving abilities, and has good vision. If he's healthy, look out.

As for Nacua, I've got high hopes for him. He's a great route runner, solid size, glue for hands. The only concerning thing is his speed; I doubt he ever outruns someone like Cooper Kupp does.

With Kupp, Nacua, Jefferson, Atwell, Skowronek, and McCutcheon on the team (and I hope Jacob Harris is another option, but I think he's gone.), that's a solid group of receivers.
One thing on Williams.. he's not speedy. May be quick enough in short area.. but isn't explosive.. he is strong for his size and all the other things you say.
He'll get work.. but I think Evans is much more of a first and second round RB than Williams.

Watching some Nacua highlights.. he really had similar movement to Kupp with the ball in his hands. One thing he doesn't do yet is get those quick, hard, chopping steps on breaks and with the ball. I think that's something that can be developed more.

Kupp, Jefferson and Tutu/Skow is a good enough group of WRs to do some damage, imo. Kupp really distorts the field for the other guys, if he's healthy.. I just hope they can get Skow the ball in his hands on the run.. to see him plow some CBs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We could really use an X out there on the hash that teams are afraid of. McClutch doesn't really separate but if he's been working hard on that route tree he might be able to win a role in this offense. Sure would be nice.

If I was him I would have been working all offseason with Kupp and trying to learn as much as I could from him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way.
Kupp
Van
McClutch
Tutu as a heavy rotational piece

Calling in now. Lance comes out of nowhere. You heard it here first, ladies and gentlemen.

I respect that. I think he's got a shot of getting a starting job, especially if he slays it in preseason. I still wouldn't put him past Skowronek. I honestly think people are still sleeping on Skow.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I respect that. I think he's got a shot of getting a starting job, especially if he slays it in preseason. I still wouldn't put him past Skowronek. I honestly think people are still sleeping on Skow.
Skow has pretty much maxed out but I could see getting a little more out of him this year. He's the most likely X next year though what he offers there is limited.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Skow has pretty much maxed out but I could see getting a little more out of him this year. He's the most likely X next year though what he offers there is limited.

A maxed out Skow is still a solid number three receiver.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm not expecting much from a rookie, late rnd WR.

Tutu, is the guy that needs to break out this year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
A maxed out Skow is still a solid number three receiver.

Yes but there's a more nuanced conversation to have as to what it means for roles at X, Z, and slot. I get what you're saying but receiver 1, 2 and 3 doesn't really say much about what the strengths and weaknesses are of our top 3 receivers. Skow's not a particularly great X, possibly a better Z and has some usage in the slot. You add it all up, he's not bad. But an average X at best.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here is a fairly good breakdown video. Nacua is interesting but he lacks burst and overall speed and I think you see that here when the breakdown moves to his routes.

The video starts with a lot of plays like we’d use Robert Woods, on end arounds and quick pass-run plays. He does well there.

View: https://youtu.be/F7zgWhhJADQ

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Yes but there's a more nuanced conversation to have as to what it means for roles at X, Z, and slot. I get what you're saying but receiver 1, 2 and 3 doesn't really say much about what the strengths and weaknesses are of our top 3 receivers. Skow's not a particularly great X, possibly a better Z and has some usage in the slot. You add it all up, he's not bad. But an average X at best.
I would like to see him play more H-back in our system. He has great intangibles and is most definitely a core special teamer but is he a true WR3 at any of those positions?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I would like to see him play more H-back in our system. He has great intangibles and is most definitely a core special teamer but is he a true WR3 at any of those positions?

He'll def get snaps there for sure. Sadly, if we look at totality of skill set, he prob is our 3rd best receiver.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He'll def get snaps there for sure. Sadly, if we look at totality of skill set, he prob is our 3rd best receiver.

I see a different vision & also think Cutch should so nice improvement.Don’t know what any of it looks like right now though.
As far as a PURE WR catching the ball I’d say no doubt Puka has the better hands & catch radius.
Then again Tutu Atwell when not guarded is pretty special.His size plays such a big role in his ability.
Cutch has a weird approach to the ball.Stops on his routes & will turn his whole body.Messes his catch radius & needs to run through the football.
Ben Sko is what he is,but in all those WR’s there is hope and ability.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here is a fairly good breakdown video. Nacua is interesting but he lacks burst and overall speed and I think you see that here when the breakdown moves to his routes.

The video starts with a lot of plays like we’d use Robert Woods, on end arounds and quick pass-run plays. He does well there.

That is Sean Mcvay’s bread and butter. Puka shows enough size & speed right away to run Jet Sweeps.Ben Sko will be pressed for playing time.
I see The Rams trying to get more physical,but Puka is Weak in Strength.He will be pushed & challenged.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
The Kupp comps definitely have grounds. These breakdowns look good. When Andre Hopkins came out people said he was too slow to be anything other than a possession WR. Puka’s game does not translate to Hopkins but he has plenty of intangibles to work with. Needs to get on Kupp’s training regime to gain more quickness and work on the top of his routes but the rest is all there already. Could be a steal. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns into a great pro

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
This is another nice write up

“After putting Mobile Alabama on notice, Nacua walked out of Tuesday’s practice humbly. He spent most of the post practice interviews referencing the things he felt like he could have done better and discussing what he needs to continue to do throughout the rest of the week, revealing himself to be very coachable and self-aware”

We are going to love ourselves some Puka around here, bank it... [in the UK Puka means “great”]

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
This is another nice write up

“After putting Mobile Alabama on notice, Nacua walked out of Tuesday’s practice humbly. He spent most of the post practice interviews referencing the things he felt like he could have done better and discussing what he needs to continue to do throughout the rest of the week, revealing himself to be very coachable and self-aware”

We are going to love ourselves some Puka around here, bank it... [in the UK Puka means “great”]

It’s “pukka” and it means “legit”.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And the word was ruined by that fat tongued prick Jamie Oliver.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
It’s “pukka” and it means “legit”.
Oh, you are one those people...

So “that shirt's pukka" means you are wearing a real shirt? You are wrong fella that’s only one way of using it. Thanks for the spelling lesson but I thought it worked better as ‘Puka’ seeing as that’s his fucking name!

You do realise you have ruined it now twitchy. Thanks! :)

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Oh, you are one those people...

So “that shirt's pukka" means you are wearing a real shirt? You are wrong fella that’s only one way of using it. Thanks for the spelling lesson but I thought it worked better as ‘Puka’ seeing as that’s his fucking name!

You do realise you have ruined it now twitchy. Thanks! :)
True- it can mean that something is “quality” but the “legit” usage is more common.

Sorry for ruining it!