Rams Select Braden Fiske, DL at #39 Overall.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'll admit that I don't really get into draft value charts. The mere discussion of it makes my eyes gloss over.

I'm not even sure teams give it much consideration. They stack their boards and try to get the best players available off their boards. Likely, they had Fiske rated pretty high and were willing to go after him rather than risk settling for a player that really wasn't what they were after. I don't really think they gave a shit about a possible 60th+ pick last year if it meant getting their man.

I'm also going to guess they have put a shitload more time into next year's draft class than any of us or any of the talking heads/stat geeks out there.

I can't wait to see the cleats hit the turf.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rams did overpay. By all three charts I am aware of --- just to varying degrees - one more than others.

My take is that we don't know where Rams value him. I can only guess ... but agree facts are Rams overpaid. What is in dispute id the significance of it.
Some here say they heard the Rams had a first round grade on Fiske. If true then it’s worth it.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I don't think there is a single person here that doesn't like the player, and that's pretty rare.
Our first two picks are both very good players.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is message boards for you.

Poster 1 observes it was an overpay. Which it was by definition of the trade up chart and accepted draft norms.

Poster 2 takes exception to the perception of an overpay.

Poster 3 tries to observe it is an overpay regardless.

Poster 4 takes exception of this continued perception of overpay nonsense and people crying about it.

Poster 5 takes exception of posters crying about those crying.

And on and on we go. Never mind the fact that we seem to unanimously agree Fiske is a fuckin badass.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It isn't about that. The lowered value in tomorrow's picks is directly related to the fact that unlike media experts the coaches and GMs in the NFL have to actually win games. A pick in the hand, thus, has greater value at that given moment and in that draft than a pick of tomorrow.

This is very simple shit.
"I'll gladly pay you for a hamburger tomorrow, for a hamburger today" ~Wimpy

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I don't think there is a single person here that doesn't like the player, and that's pretty rare.
Our first two picks are both very good players.
That is pretty rare on any board.

Not only they are both very good, they bring a synergy I have never seen in a draft.

How do you replace a football player who is the GOAT? With the synergy of these two.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 2.46.17 PM.png

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Poster 1 observes it was an overpay. Which it was by definition of the trade up chart and accepted draft norms.
Add in the rest of what poster 1 said please :) Lets get the whole picture going here.

On second thought this conversation was stale and over blown 5 minutes after it started I rescind the request.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I have no issue with discussion about the merits of a trade; we're all passionate about football.

But let's be honest, some posters were ripping Snead for the Fiske trade and stating that he is an idiot who gets exploited by other GM's who can't wait to rip him off in trade deals. Posters are basing their opinion of Snead's moves based upon trade value charts that certain posters take to be the gospel truth.

How many of these rival GM's who have supposedly scammed Snead in these trades have a Super Bowl on their resume?
After all, winning a Super Bowl is the point of making trades isn't it?

Many of these same posters ripped Snead for not getting much in return for trading Jalen Ramsey to Miami last year.

This was mindless of the fact that whether you're selling a car or trading a football player, the value of the item that you're selling is only what buyers are prepared to pay.

Since Ramsey's play had tailed off significantly as he aged, no team was prepared to pay more for his services, and based upon his play last season, Miami certainly must regret having traded for Ramsey.

By questioning the validity and the relevance of draft value charts and draft grades, some posters seem to think that I'm somehow raining on the football talk parade.

That's not my intention, but I'm not going to stay silent when people are stridently trashing a GM's work based upon flawed tools such as trade value charts and draft "grades".
You're preaching to the choir! I'm of the belief, 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round, whatever....if you like a guy and believe he's going to be everything you think he is...TAKE HIM. It's never too early to draft a stud and it's never too much to trade for one either. I understand some fans looking at it in a vacuum.....this pick is worth this, that pick is worth that, we overpaid. But the whole point of the exercise is WE GOT THE GUY WE WANTED. And if you got the guy you wanted and he's all you thought he'd be, you win.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“We don’t say ‘games to each other anymore,” Verse said. “We just kind of look at each other, ‘Oh, you want to run this? I got you.’ … We talked about it, ‘Imagine if we go to the same team? That would be so cool.’ And now it happened!”

You gotta love it.

dang

Legend
Oh look, that fuck jason from otc agrees with this post.

That means it's 100% wrong.

“You think I give a monkeys ass some Chucky Nnumbnut’s value chart says we lost 25.5 points on a trade that got us a bonafide starter on defense that shoots napalm out his pecker on every goddamn play. Fuck Them Charts!!!” McSnead

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
"OH MY GOD!!!!!"

Sincerely,

Geno Smith
Maybe my most favorite clip in my life.

Honest emotion in football.

I think I felt that exact emotion once. Aaron Donald coming towards you makes one flinch ten rows from the field.

I kid you not. It was real.

GO RAMS!!!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Seth is trying to use logic from a different set of rules to draw an argument that futures picks have the same value as a current pick. I think that is fundamentally flawed. To say that economics can offer insight is not wrong. But the coach and GM who buys that argument will be at a disadvantage vs the ones who do not.

There of course could be circumstances that favor a futures pick. Like when it's an offer from a dumbfuck owner whose team you are sure will tank. But for that to be the desirable trade offer over a current pick there need to be some things aligned to make it make sense. Like a stronger draft the next year in the position you covet. Or the current pick is too low for your liking and thus you are certain the futures pick will be a much better player.

But structurally to say one = two is wrong I think.

That’s why I distinguished between economics and behavioral economics.

Behavioral economics specifically addresses the personal incentives that conflict with long term goals

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Ted's a pretty great reporter and his cut ups are fantastic but he's mostly a Raiders reporter for Athletic and does a smattering of national stuff, I'm not shocked if he gets a few details wrong on a 3rd tier lineman.
Not *shocked* either. Just saw that it was wrong. Also, the counter-intuitiveness of a NT to OLBer ... you'd think it would have made him pause. He's better at Xs and Os and string reporting. Probably got it on assignment -- not his thing, not his beat.