Rams resign Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Okay I was hoping that the Rams might be able to find an experienced starting veteran center who was larger & stronger. As you know my preference was Garland who the 9ers just resigned before the signing of Blythe.

Merlin's position is where I am at...First the signing of Blythe buys time. Kromer will get a chance to see what a non injured healthy center with two healed shoulders & one lower leg & ankle can do. Blythe has been involved with the center post since he was picked off the WWC line in 2017. So its not like Kromer does not know Blythe's weaknesses.

Kromer now has a supersized OC cadre ...five or six competitors to pick from for the starting OC post.

Austin Blythe- entering his 3rd Ram TC has 2 full seasons as a Ram starter.
Brian Allen- entering his 3rd Ram TC.
Coleman Shelton- entering his 1st Rams TC .
Austin Corbett-entering his 1st Ram TC has starting experience in his last two seasons.
Nate Trewyn- entering his 1st Ram TC
Jeremiah Kolone- entering his 3rd Rams TC (was the starting OC for Mike Martz & the Fleet).

Ram65

Legend
No. Even with Blythe's re-signing, we lack a good center prospect, and this is the draft to take a center because there's so many good ones. I'd personally take Biadasz or Muti for center. I'd also take an offensive tackle if I could, just in case Noteboom doesn't pan out or if Edwards and/or Evans take a step back.

I can see them taking Biadasz as he can also play OG. Looks like a solid run blocker.

I wouldn't think the Rams brass does either, especially given that it's a one year deal. But having him now at least gives them flexibility to not have to reach for an OL.

I see Blythe as the insurance policy if you will. The plan may very well be to 'upgrade' the OC position in the draft but if that doesn't pan out or the draftee is not as good as advertised/not ready, Blythe is the cover.

I agree Blythe gives the Rams flexibility and insurance for the draft. I don't think he cost much.

Merlin's position is where I am at...First the signing of Blythe buys time. Kromer will get a chance to see what a non injured healthy center with two healed shoulders & one lower leg & ankle can do. Blythe has been involved with the center post since he was picked off the WWC line in 2017. So its not like Kromer does not know Blythe's weaknesses.

Blythe will play better when healthy. That ankle sprain really slowed him down.

Kromer now has a supersized OC cadre ...five or six competitors to pick from for the starting OC post.

Austin Corbett-entering his 1st Ram TC has starting experience in his last two seasons.
Jeremiah Kolone- entering his 3rd Rams TC (was the starting OC for Mike Martz & the Fleet).

Like throwing a lot darts and you may hit something.

So Bythe gives the Rams flexibility, insurance, low cost and improved health but Rams could still use an upgrade at OC. It's a good one year move.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If for whatever reason Blythe does not win back an interior starting post (Which is just fine with me), Blythe would provide Kromer a veteran, smart, experienced former 2 year starting interior OL'er reserve for game days. (y);)

Would that not be an overall positive improvement over what Kromer started early with last yr with Jamil Demby & all those rookies?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think our draft window for center starts round 3. It is possible Ruiz gets to 52 and all but I see that pick as "if no dev LT then take top impact player" spot.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Okay I was hoping that the Rams might be able to find an experienced starting veteran center who was larger & stronger. As you know my preference was Garland who the 9ers just resigned before the signing of Blythe.

Amazingly enough, our offensive line has gone from a weakness to a strength in the course of the second half of the season.

Corbett- stud.
Edwards - stud.
Evans - stud.
Whitworth - still a stud.
Blythe when he is surrounded by studs - STUD.

And we have developing players and backups with real game experience.

When these guys run a camp together?

Stud O- line.

Last edited:

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I think our draft window for center starts round 3. It is possible Ruiz gets to 52 and all but I see that pick as "if no dev LT then take top impact player" spot.

Might be a RB now. Too soon....? :)

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Good resigning by the Rams. Fingers crossed Blythe can still progress and develop into an above avg starting center for us. In the worst case, he's still a serviceable lineman (capable of starting) with versatility. I hope Rams keep him at center and make Allen (Noteboom too) fight like hell for a starting position if he does get one.

I think in a perfect world, Blythe is the perfect 6th lineman but dude has balled out, he stepped in to a starting role and hasnt looked back. I talked all that shit about Saffold being expendable but man what i wouldnt do that have that guy back at LG right now.

I really liked that G/T Brewer in the preseason too. Im sure we go into the offseason with Blythe as the starting C and Whit the starting LT but i hope all other o-line positions are an open competiton...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good resigning by the Rams. Fingers crossed Blythe can still progress and develop into an above avg starting center for us. In the worst case, he's still a serviceable lineman (capable of starting) with versatility. I hope Rams keep him at center and make Allen (Noteboom too) fight like hell for a starting position if he does get one.

I think in a perfect world, Blythe is the perfect 6th lineman but dude has balled out, he stepped in to a starting role and hasnt looked back. I talked all that shit about Saffold being expendable but man what i wouldnt do that have that guy back at LG right now.

I really liked that G/T Brewer in the preseason too. Im sure we go into the offseason with Blythe as the starting C and Whit the starting LT but i hope all other o-line positions are an open compitition ...
Competition going into this 2020 TC will surely be different from 2019.

Veteran interior OL'er Blythe was secured @ RG in 2019. In 2020, he is sure to be 100% involved with the OC post. Blythe was outplayed by the rookie 5th rd draft selection David Edwards in 2019 once Blythe moved to start @ OC. Blythe had been the start @ RG since 2018. Blythe will need to have a very good TC & preseason to win the starting OC post from Brian Allen, Coleman Shelton & Nate Trewyn.

Havenstein has never had much of a challenge since he was drafted in 2015 for the RT post. I think that he is in a tough battle to earn his former starting RT post back. If Havenstein has not placed himself in a position where he can greatly improve his pass protection last seasons rookies Bobby Evans 6-4 313 & Chandler Brewer 6-6 320 will be in position to give Havenstein a real tough contest.

I do NOT envision any heated competition ongoing @ either of the starting OG posts. Austin Corbett & David Edwards took over the later half of the 2019 season & would expect that we will see marked improvement in both of them going into this TC. Corbett entering his 3rd TC should fine tune his pass protection & run blocking issues. Edwards should show Kromer much better run blocking while he tries to improve his pass blocking mechanics. Kromer does have a few of the OC's & Jeremiah Kolone & Jamil Demby returning to try to land a position on the 10 player roster OL unit.

I do not expect Joseph Noteboom to be involved in OG competition but when his health has fully return be involved with working closely with Whitworth as a duo @ the LT post.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Wait so is the signing cost of Blythe still a mystery? Well its all the Rams got for a C. We most def need a vet, whether we somehow acquire one this season or get one next.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wait so is the signing cost of Blythe still a mystery? Well its all the Rams got for a C. We most def need a vet, whether we somehow acquire one this season or get one next.
Mystery no more....Rams 2019 latter half starting Center Austin Blythe Contract Terms disclosed just under $4million.

March 30th, 2020 at 7:08pm CST by Ben Levine

Austin Blythe, OL (Rams): One year. Worth $3.9MM, including $3.5MM guaranteed. $950K signing bonus, $2.95MM salary (of which $2.55MM is guaranteed).

@Soul Surfer @flv @Merlin @Ram65

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Mystery no more....Rams 2019 latter half starting Center Austin Blythe Contract Terms disclosed just under $4million.

March 30th, 2020 at 7:08pm CST by Ben Levine

Austin Blythe, OL (Rams): One year. Worth $3.9MM, including $3.5MM guaranteed. $950K signing bonus, $2.95MM salary (of which $2.55MM is guaranteed).

@Soul Surfer @flv @Merlin @Ram65

And this signing means what ??

You really think The Rams draft a lineman ?? I really don’t see how.
I’ve added also that Whitworth signing
gives The Rams time to decide on a Noteboom.
The Blythe signing also gives The Rams time to develop there center and
enough depth at guard .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And this signing means what ??

You really think The Rams draft a lineman ?? I really don’t see how.
I’ve added also that Whitworth signing
gives The Rams time to decide on a Noteboom.
The Blythe signing also gives The Rams time to develop there center and
enough depth at guard .
What it means to me ...................
#1-Rams gave Blythe a sizeable one season pay increase. Up from the $2 million he got last yr or the #1 million in 2018.

#2-Rams is paying Blythe to be our starting center in 2020 not a reserve.

#3-Rams made a respectable paying offer to Austin Blythe in which in spite of his declining poor 2019 season, Rams feel good enough to encourage Blythe that he's still lurking out there in considerations to continue to be a future Ram OL'er after this season.

Yes I do foresee an excellent chance for Snead to select one OL'er (either an LT prospect or a center prospect) during Friday evening April 24th 2020. (I hope you will join us in ROD please bring theater type hot popcorn)

Yes this team has many areas where there is immense room to inject better overall talent all over the roster. When you let both of your starting ER's go I would think that an ER is sure to be selected...but this ER 34 D class is "NOT GOOD'! Samson/ Okoronkwo/ Floyd/ Lawler/ Polite are all very young & ready to play & contribute. Others think that the ILB'er unit is full of weak full of no names......IMO Staley has latent talent ready to explode! Five very good ILB'er prospects.

When you have franchised pocket passing QB who is costing your team 18% of the salary cap, who is immobile, not elusive & who throws passes around top helmet level.....well he needs a serious amount effective pass blocking to win. You better keep drafting OL'ers in hope of keeping Goff upright healthy & not on the IR.

Goff knows Blythe very well. I suspect Goff had some input on the signing of his new 2020 starting center.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
$4 million is hardly starting money though some starters will make that. It's as easy to say he's the backup plan and veteran depth a very key thing for an OLine at Center and Guard. We'll see what happens in camp.

Ram65

Legend
I think Blythe is going to be given the chance at both OC/OG. I'm leaning toward OC. I was hoping for $3M but, at $4M he gets a chance to start and is good insurance at OC/OG. Allen could become only a backup but, he gets to compete.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What it means to me ...................
#1-Rams gave Blythe a sizeable one season pay increase. Up from the $2 million he got last yr or the #1 million in 2018.

#2-Rams is paying Blythe to be our starting center in 2020 not a reserve.

#3-Rams made a respectable paying offer to Austin Blythe in which in spite of his declining poor 2019 season, Rams feel good enough to encourage Blythe that he's still lurking out there in considerations to continue to be a future Ram OL'er after this season.

Yes I do foresee an excellent chance for Snead to select one OL'er (either an LT prospect or a center prospect) during Friday evening April 24th 2020. (I hope you will join us in ROD please bring theater type hot popcorn)

Yes this team has many areas where there is immense room to inject better overall talent all over the roster. When you let both of your starting ER's go I would think that an ER is sure to be selected...but this ER 34 D class is "NOT GOOD'! Samson/ Okoronkwo/ Floyd/ Lawler/ Polite are all very young & ready to play & contribute. Others think that the ILB'er unit is full of weak full of no names......IMO Staley has latent talent ready to explode! Five very good ILB'er prospects.

When you have franchised pocket passing QB who is costing your team 18% of the salary cap, who is immobile, not elusive & who throws passes around top helmet level.....well he needs a serious amount effective pass blocking to win. You better keep drafting OL'ers in hope of keeping Goff upright healthy & not on the IR.

Goff knows Blythe very well. I suspect Goff had some input on the signing of his new 2020 starting center.

Excellent post reply, as usual.

Remember Demby won his game he started on the road & held up against a NO Saints team that was pissed off from the playoff loss. The Rams were 3-0. Yes he sucked!!
Edwards was not read to be the starting LG at 22 & coming off a shoulder injury in college.
Corbett already cost The Rams a 2020 draft pick.
Would you draft a RB ??

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Nate Trewyn is 6”4 315 coming of his rookie season from the practice squad.

Coleman Shelton has been on the game day roster a few times last season.
Brian Allen is coming off an injury.Who knows how much he is liked?

~Blythe has been a The starter LG for 2 seasons & was the starter in the 2018 SuperBowl.

Why not wait & see how this plays out? I hope for competition.

I’m one for letting these young players develop. It shows me what a good trade it was by MCSNEAD for getting Austin Corbett with a 2020 5th ? He really helped solidify & added continuity to this group.

Who knows ?? Maybe one of the young centers earn a starting spot ??

When The Rams went 3-0 2019, Jamil Demby had half the snaps at RG & 1 start. Demby is still on the roster,so I personally think The Rams are in HECK of a lot better shape going into 2020.

The Tampa Bay game Austin Blythe startered.I did not even watch the game,but he took 89 SNAPS coming off what ever his injury was at RG.89 SNAPS!!!! WTF ?? The O”Line ???

Gurley(Thanks 4 the check) is getting PAID how much to NOT BE a Ram ?? How much of the cap is his contract go against it !!!
Why is Wade Phillips gone ??
Why did Mcvay bring in another OC??
I just don’t understand all the negativity towards the Offensive Line.

-Yes The Rams need to have a center signed ling term going into 2021. My point of MCSNEAD & DEMOFF not signing a player a season early. For that I’m not sure withBig Rob’s last deserved it with his injury. That said during the beginning of 2019 & Higbee I was not sure either. It was when Everett went down that Mcvay finally gave him the ball on a consistent basis. Plus Higbee has been JARED GOFF’s bff the last 3 seasons.Talking about signing another player early. At some point Jared Goff contract might look Excellent. He WILL restructure it at some point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Excellent post reply, as usual.

Remember Demby won his game he started on the road & held up against a NO Saints team that was pissed off from the playoff loss. The Rams were 3-0. Yes he sucked!!
Edwards was not read to be the starting LG at 22 & coming off a shoulder injury in college.
Corbett already cost The Rams a 2020 draft pick.
Would you draft a RB ??
My favorite RB for the Rams this draft is Edwards-Helaire from LSU. However, many teams are drooling to land him too. Plus most have the luxury of draft ammo for reaching up for him, something this Ram team does not have, nor do I advocate it.

If I were in Snead shoe's I would have worked his scout dept. to near exhaustion in screening the RB class to meet the resources of his draft ammo. I would have them shifting through the sleepers/small schoolers/injury victims to utilize his final third day draft selections on hard nose talented runners for McVay & O'Connell (6th rd #199 & 7th rd.#234)

Last edited: