Rams resign Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So long as it's not too much money, why not? Blythe is good depth.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Any word on dollars yet? I've seen it is only a one year contract so am bracing myself for a shock in terms of total contract value

Ram65

Legend
What if it's not a reasonable deal?

I'm hoping three years under $11 Mil or close.

This doesn't look good for B Allen. I think his ankle injury affected his play. He also had shoulder issues. He is not the big nasty OC we've been hoping for. He does good at line calls and can move when healthy. He can play OC/OG. I think the Rams are looking at the cost value compared to other options. It appears they let him test the market before signing so I don't think the Rams overpaid by a lot.

Missed that it's only a one year deal. That says to me that he didn't have much of a market and or he wants to prove he can play better when healthy. Garland got $2.25 Mil from Whiners. Bythe gets $2.75 to $3.25 Mil or so.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams, OL Austin Blythe agree to terms on one-year deal

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The Los Angeles Rams and offensive lineman Austin Blythe have agreed to terms on a one-year deal.

Since being claimed off waivers by the Rams in 2017, the 27-year-old offensive lineman has missed only one regular season game over the last three seasons.

When Los Angeles endured an uncharacteristic amount of injuries along the offensive line this past season, he played a crucial role in stabilizing it and helping allow a league-low 22 sacks. He started the season as the team's starting right guard, then moved over to center after Brian Allen suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 10.

Blythe will enter his fourth season with L.A and fifth overall in 2020. The former University of Iowa standout originally entered the league as a seventh-round pick of the Indianapolis Colts in 2016.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Do not see keeping Blythe preventing the Rams from upgrading the OL spot at the draft.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Do not see keeping Blythe preventing the Rams from upgrading the OL spot at the draft.

I wouldn't think the Rams brass does either, especially given that it's a one year deal. But having him now at least gives them flexibility to not have to reach for an OL.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Maybe in the fifth or sixth round.
Too many other needs.

Our offensive line is set and we have experienced backups.
Wentworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans
Havenstein
Allen
Noteboom

That's 8 deep.

Plus we have enough prospects to train in Shelton, etc.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Maybe in the fifth or sixth round.
Too many other needs.

Our offensive line is set and we have experienced backups.
Wentworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans
Havenstein
Allen
Noteboom

That's 8 deep.

Plus we have enough prospects to train in Shelton, etc.

No. Even with Blythe's re-signing, we lack a good center prospect, and this is the draft to take a center because there's so many good ones. I'd personally take Biadasz or Muti for center. I'd also take an offensive tackle if I could, just in case Noteboom doesn't pan out or if Edwards and/or Evans take a step back.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
No. Even with Blythe's re-signing, we lack a good center prospect, and this is the draft to take a center because there's so many good ones. I'd personally take Biadasz or Muti for center. I'd also take an offensive tackle if I could, just in case Noteboom doesn't pan out or if Edwards and/or Evans take a step back.
I noticed they made a point of re-signing Shelton who can play center.
Or they could re-sign Blythe again next year or they could draft one next year.

But if they do take a Center high I wouldn't have a big problem with that.

I just don't personally see it.

dang

Legend
I rewatched the Saints Rams 2019 week 2 game. Allen looked short and fat-assed like a fire plug. His movement was limited. He looked like a fill in rather than an effective starter. I know it was early in the season but it looks like he is no more than depth st OC only. Blythe might be a decent starter this year but the Rams need a stud OC to match up with Edwards/Evans/Note as a solid starting 5. It doesn’t look like it will be FA so it must be planned for the draft. Let Blythe man the clot until his successor is ready later this year or next year.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I'm 100% sure that Blythe will be starting at Center barring injury.
I see Blythe as the insurance policy if you will. The plan may very well be to 'upgrade' the OC position in the draft but if that doesn't pan out or the draftee is not as good as advertised/not ready, Blythe is the cover.

…..

Legend
Clearly the minority, I’m not in favor of this. We got tossed around last year and at 298 pounds I figure Blythe was the weakest link, and as the anchor in the middle we can’t expect too much from him.

We needed to get bigger.

Blythes value to me is purely as a cost effective multi position backup. If he is our starting center I’m going to be worried.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Clearly the minority, I’m not in favor of this. We got tossed around last year and at 298 pounds I figure Blythe was the weakest link, and as the anchor in the middle we can’t expect too much from him.

We needed to get bigger.

Blythes value to me is purely as a cost effective multi position backup. If he is our starting center I’m going to be worried.
Agreed. I see him as a stopgap to allow the Center we draft to settle in. Still waiting on the contract numbers though because to me that is critical. If it's a low end deal I'm fine with it. If it's $5M+ I'm gonna be irritated.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm 100% sure that Blythe will be starting at Center barring injury.

I agree 100% with this. Based on McVay's history, even if we drafted a C with our first pick this year, they're not starting day one. That's just not how McVay roles, and I think he values experience and continuity more than ability on the OL.

Also, don't forget - McVay's first two years we rolled with two below average OL in terms of physical ability - Sullivan and Brown and then Sullivan and Blythe.

What' semi-frustrating about this is that in both years, teams with dominant DLs shut our offense down. Teams with medicore DLs, we lit up. Not sure if that's given McVay false confidence, but that's what it seems like.

Anyways, our starting offensive line will be five guys that are already on the team right now, I guarantee that. I personally believe we won't even draft an OL until the 4th round or later, and we may not draft one at all. If they believe in Noteboom and Allen, the other six are locks to make the team. The only way I see us drafting one at all is if they decide to give Allen competition or go with 9.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Blythe is an average (maybe pretty solid with 2 good guards) starter and quality, experienced depth. With our OL that's something we couldn't afford to lose.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

We needed to get bigger.

Wasn't he also playing injured?

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Signing Blythe allows Rams to "play the board" when the draft comes. It gives them the flexibility to not target a center. Look, if oline is the best on the board, I see them going with it but if it's not, they're going elsewhere.

The flow chart if FA is done well should be: Best Player Available >>>>>> Best Player at Position of Need >>>>>> Charlie Army Pick.