Rams resign Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My favorite RB for the Rams this draft is Edwards-Helaire from LSU. However, many teams are drooling to land him too. Plus most have the luxury of reaching up for him, something this Ram team does not have, nor do I advocate it.

If I were in Snead shoe's I would have worked his scout dept. to near exhaustion in screening the RB class to meet the resources of his draft ammo. I would have them shifting through the sleepers/small schoolers/injury victims to utilize his final third day draft selections on hard nose talented runners for McVay & O'Connell (6th rd #199 & 7th rd.#234)
I'm on the Ke'shawn Vaughn train.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mystery no more....Rams 2019 latter half starting Center Austin Blythe Contract Terms disclosed just under $4million.

March 30th, 2020 at 7:08pm CST by Ben Levine

Austin Blythe, OL (Rams): One year. Worth $3.9MM, including $3.5MM guaranteed. $950K signing bonus, $2.95MM salary (of which $2.55MM is guaranteed).

@Soul Surfer @flv @Merlin @Ram65
Really nice to see that the Rams didn't get stupid with Blythe and overpay him for one year. $3.9M is fair for a marginal starter to hold the spot in case we can't draft a center.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Really nice to see that the Rams didn't get stupid with Blythe and overpay him for one year. $3.9M is fair for a marginal starter to hold the spot in case we can't draft a center.
I saw the ER Clay Matthews release as the means $$$ to sign a veteran starting interior OL'er like Blythe. The one yr deal was a great move IMO.

I am sure that Snead/Kromer know fully that there is a high need for a much more powerful Ram center. Blythe will never fill that need. Coleman Shelton & Brian Allen do not currently fill that order either. Ex Buc's OC Nate Trewyn might be able too.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My favorite RB for the Rams this draft is Edwards-Helaire from LSU. However, many teams are drooling to land him too. Plus most have the luxury of reaching up for him, something this Ram team does not have, nor do I advocate it.

If I were in Snead shoe's I would have worked his scout dept. to near exhaustion in screening the RB class to meet the resources of his draft ammo. I would have them shifting through the sleepers/small schoolers/injury victims to utilize his final third day draft selections on hard nose talented runners for McVay & O'Connell (6th rd #199 & 7th rd.#234)

Okay, that said. Who do you like better
from LSU Patrick Queen or Edwards Helaire ??

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes!
This Vandy RB would be a dandy of a 6th rd'er selection or even a greater 7th rd'er selection. The last few years I have taken a liken to those short tough power RB's myself.
Oh, so NOW you want a short, powerful running back? I knew you'd get tired of your tall fast RB's! ~ Zac Stacy

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Oh, so NOW you want a short, powerful running back? I knew you'd get tired of your tall fast RB's! ~ Zac Stacy
Rams has two very large starting OT's 6-7&6-8 both 330. In line blocking TE is over 6-6-260 pounder, Our new starting OG's are not small either 6-6/310 & 6-4-1/2/ 308. The only dinky is @ center. Thus, a short RB can disappear more often than not. :giggle:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw the ER Clay Matthews release as the means $$$ to sign a veteran starting interior OL'er like Blythe. The one yr deal was a great move IMO.

I am sure that Snead/Kromer know fully that there is a high need for a much more powerful Ram center. Blythe will never fill that need. Coleman Shelton & Brian Allen do not currently fill that order either. Ex Buc's OC Nate Trewyn might be able too.
Yeah what they paid him on top of it being a one year deal tells us they're seeing things clearly. We knew that was probably the case but man I have to admit I was wondering a little when no real numbers were released.

Re: Clay we knew he was likely gone, but in hindsight since we only netted $3M from cutting him I find myself wondering whether Floyd is that much better. Particularly since Clay may be the better rusher of the two even at his age. Think it shows our new DC was horrified by our edge play in the run game but I still wonder whether that $10M would have been better spent adding McGovern at Center or maybe even going cheaper at OLB with a guy like Correa who can play off ball too in a pinch (he is still available on the market).

But anyway. I'm behind the Floyd move just hope it pays off. And as long as the Rams put some draft capital into this line here soon I'll feel a lot better about things.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm on the Ke'shawn Vaughn train.
Vaughn's another one of those day 3 type backs that are plentiful in this draft no doubt. I'll admit that Helaire in this offense would be a fantastic addition, he'd eat carries for sure for us and help us immediately (IMO he is definitely a cut above most other backs in terms of fit and what I like in a back). But if they're smart in their approach they should be able to fix other roster issues and still find a back who can eat those carries and allow for a better RB by committee backfield. Which just seems to make a ton more sense.

Basically I think our draft will be stronger if we wait on RB vice taking one at 52.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
OL Austin Blythe "relieved" to be returning to the Rams

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The possibility of a fresh start with a new NFL team was not one offensive lineman Austin Blythe wanted to process as he entered the new league year as an unrestricted free agent.

That uncertainty, though, didn't take long to disappear. He is returning to the Rams by way of a 1-year deal with the club.

"I had a hard time thinking about starting over," Blythe said on a conference call with local media Wednesday. "So to have an offer that was a good offer to return to play for the Rams and Coach Sean McVay, Aaron Kromer, all those guys in the organization, was a relieving feeling."

The 2020 season marks Blythe's fourth in Los Angeles and fifth overall in the NFL. He originally entered the league as a seventh-round pick by the Indianapolis Colts in 2016. Since being claimed off waivers by the Rams in 2017, the 27-year-old offensive lineman has missed only one regular season game over the last three seasons.

When Los Angeles' offensive line endured an atypical amount of injuries to its starters in 2019, Blythe played a crucial role in stabilizing it and helping allow a league-low 22 sacks. He began last season as the team's starting right guard, flipped to left guard, then moved over to center after Brian Allen suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 10.

"It was an easy transition," Blythe said. "(Playing the center position) was kind of going back to my bread-and-butter, I would say. I think I've felt really comfortable in all three positions on the interior of the o-line, but playing center is like riding a bike. I welcomed it a little bit. Unfortunately Brian did get hurt, and luckily he's going to be back with us and we're going to have a lot of depth and a lot of things to figure out."

Blythe said he is comfortable playing multiple positions again if that's what the team needs in order to be successful.

"I think I've shown over the last several years that all three positions have been fairly comfortable for me and whatever position I end up landing in, whatever position the Rams need me to play, I'm confident that I'll play well," Blythe said. "Looking forward to a good season."

Prior to re-signing with Los Angeles, the Blythes became a family of four after his wife, Kiley, gave birth to a baby girl in late January. They have been spending the offseason in Austin's hometown of Williamsburg, Iowa. His parents have a home gym that has allowed him to continue his offseason workouts with gyms and team facilities closed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"It's been wild," Blythe said. "It's a bittersweet time right now just because this quarantine has given us a lot of family time together. A lot of family time that I didn't necessarily have with (my son) Reed when he was an infant. So getting to spend that time with Kiley and kind of catch up on time with Reed and Kylie just as a family of a new family of four, it's been really good."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams met with Washington’s Center Nick Harris

The First-Team All-Pac-12 selection was a feisty competitor during his time as a Husky
By mTPeterson@ZoneTracks Apr 2, 2020

www.turfshowtimes.com

Rams have met with Washington’s Nick Harris
The First-Team All-Pac-12 selection was a feisty competitor during his time as a Husky

www.turfshowtimes.com
www.turfshowtimes.com

1585848074547.png

The Rams made a point to re-sign G/C Austin Blythe this off-season after being an integral part of the team’s offensive line over the last three seasons. In 2019 however, Blythe played a little more center than usual as he had to step in for an injured Brian Allen. In 2020, the Rams hope they’ll get a healthy Allen back which would allow Blythe to get back to guard which would go a long way in normalizing the front five.

In the case of a similar situation should Allen miss more time, it looks like the Rams are doing their due diligence on this year’s center class as they recently met with former Washington center Nick Harris, per Justin Melo of The Draft Wire.
#Washington C Nick Harris has held pre-draft meetings over FaceTime with the #Eagles, #Rams, #Falcons, #Jets & #Jaguars recently.
— Justin M (@JustinM_NFL) April 1, 2020
Like Allen, Harris is a little on the shorter side, standing at 6’1 and 302 pounds. Despite his lack of size, that hasn’t stopped him from being the best center in the Pac-12 conference over the last two seasons. After starting four games as a true freshman (two at either guard spot), Harris went on to start the final 26 games of his career and to twice be named to the First-Team All-Pac-12 squad.

NFL Network’s Lance Zierlein describes Harris as a “worker bee”, meaning he doesn’t do or say much outside of what he needs to in order to get the job done. He’s some of the quickest hands and doesn’t waste a nano-second when it comes to snapping and get his punch into a defender. The biggest limitation for Harris’ draft value is that he’s likely pigeonholed to the pivot. Without ideal size, I doubt any team is going to give him a shot at guard at the next level.

While undersized, Harris is still on the athletic side. He posted a 5.10 in the forty and a 29.5-inch jump in the vertical. He also possesses the lateral agility to stick with linebackers at the second level which opened up many a hole in the Washington run game this past season. He’s agile and jittery which helps a lot in a zone-based scheme like the Rams’.
Seeing three junior centers being mocked in Round 2 (Cushenberry, Hennessey, Ruiz) but won’t be surprised if @UW_Football C Nick Harris goes there too. Many teams we’ve spoken with have Top-50 grades on Harris. Very similar to last year’s No. 18 pick, #Vikings Garrett Bradbury. pic.twitter.com/yq5OqD10Gi
— Jim Nagy (@JimNagy_SB) March 23, 2020
The great thing about Harris is that he will likely be available in the fourth or fifth round, depending how much his position limitation affects his value. Getting a top player at his position isn’t too shabby for a mid-day three pick, if you ask me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams met with Washington’s Center Nick Harris

By mTPeterson@ZoneTracks Apr 2, 2020

www.turfshowtimes.com

Rams have met with Washington’s Nick Harris

www.turfshowtimes.com
www.turfshowtimes.com

1585848074547.png

The Rams made a point to re-sign G/C Austin Blythe this off-season after being an integral part of the team’s offensive line over the last three seasons. In 2019 however, Blythe played a little more center than usual as he had to step in for an injured Brian Allen. In 2020, the Rams hope they’ll get a healthy Allen back which would allow Blythe to get back to guard which would go a long way in normalizing the front five.

In the case of a similar situation should Allen miss more time, it looks like the Rams are doing their due diligence on this year’s center class as they recently met with former Washington center Nick Harris, per Justin Melo of The Draft Wire.

Like Allen, Harris is a little on the shorter side, standing at 6’1 and 302 pounds. Despite his lack of size, that hasn’t stopped him from being the best center in the Pac-12 conference over the last two seasons. After starting four games as a true freshman (two at either guard spot), Harris went on to start the final 26 games of his career and to twice be named to the First-Team All-Pac-12 squad.

NFL Network’s Lance Zierlein describes Harris as a “worker bee”, meaning he doesn’t do or say much outside of what he needs to in order to get the job done. He’s some of the quickest hands and doesn’t waste a nano-second when it comes to snapping and get his punch into a defender. The biggest limitation for Harris’ draft value is that he’s likely pigeonholed to the pivot. Without ideal size, I doubt any team is going to give him a shot at guard at the next level.

While undersized, Harris is still on the athletic side. He posted a 5.10 in the forty and a 29.5-inch jump in the vertical. He also possesses the lateral agility to stick with linebackers at the second level which opened up many a hole in the Washington run game this past season. He’s agile and jittery which helps a lot in a zone-based scheme like the Rams’.

The great thing about Harris is that he will likely be available in the fourth or fifth round, depending how much his position limitation affects his value. Getting a top player at his position isn’t too shabby for a mid-day three pick, if you ask me.
Harris got his ass handed to him during Senior Bowl week. The dropoff from some other centers to him is significant.

He does move well on his film though. So he's a lot like like Allen where he's a bit undersized but you get movement if and when he can get to where he doesn't get knocked back into his QB's lap. Problem is given his Senior Bowl performance Harris is not a plug and play option like, say, Hennessy. He's a dev option IMO.

Ram65

Legend
OL Austin Blythe "relieved" to be returning to the Rams

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The possibility of a fresh start with a new NFL team was not one offensive lineman Austin Blythe wanted to process as he entered the new league year as an unrestricted free agent.

That uncertainty, though, didn't take long to disappear. He is returning to the Rams by way of a 1-year deal with the club.

"I had a hard time thinking about starting over," Blythe said on a conference call with local media Wednesday. "So to have an offer that was a good offer to return to play for the Rams and Coach Sean McVay, Aaron Kromer, all those guys in the organization, was a relieving feeling."

The 2020 season marks Blythe's fourth in Los Angeles and fifth overall in the NFL. He originally entered the league as a seventh-round pick by the Indianapolis Colts in 2016. Since being claimed off waivers by the Rams in 2017, the 27-year-old offensive lineman has missed only one regular season game over the last three seasons.

When Los Angeles' offensive line endured an atypical amount of injuries to its starters in 2019, Blythe played a crucial role in stabilizing it and helping allow a league-low 22 sacks. He began last season as the team's starting right guard, flipped to left guard, then moved over to center after Brian Allen suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 10.

"It was an easy transition," Blythe said. "(Playing the center position) was kind of going back to my bread-and-butter, I would say. I think I've felt really comfortable in all three positions on the interior of the o-line, but playing center is like riding a bike. I welcomed it a little bit. Unfortunately Brian did get hurt, and luckily he's going to be back with us and we're going to have a lot of depth and a lot of things to figure out."

Blythe said he is comfortable playing multiple positions again if that's what the team needs in order to be successful.

"I think I've shown over the last several years that all three positions have been fairly comfortable for me and whatever position I end up landing in, whatever position the Rams need me to play, I'm confident that I'll play well," Blythe said. "Looking forward to a good season."

Prior to re-signing with Los Angeles, the Blythes became a family of four after his wife, Kiley, gave birth to a baby girl in late January. They have been spending the offseason in Austin's hometown of Williamsburg, Iowa. His parents have a home gym that has allowed him to continue his offseason workouts with gyms and team facilities closed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"It's been wild," Blythe said. "It's a bittersweet time right now just because this quarantine has given us a lot of family time together. A lot of family time that I didn't necessarily have with (my son) Reed when he was an infant. So getting to spend that time with Kiley and kind of catch up on time with Reed and Kylie just as a family of a new family of four, it's been really good."

It would have been great to ask him/get information on his injuries last year. He probably wouldn't make a big excuse about it. If he starts I'm hoping that his play was considerably hindered by the ankle and shoulders. I know he got run over in the Super Bowl but, they knew the run/pass plays. Hope he getting in some good work outs.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Okay, that said. Who do you like better
from LSU Patrick Queen or Edwards Helaire ??

Queen's going in the first round. CEH might or might not, but he has a better chance of sliding to us. Therefore, my answer is CEH.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Queen's going in the first round. CEH might or might not, but he has a better chance of sliding to us. Therefore, my answer is CEH.

My concern is his size & I think there could be better value with the 3rd rd pick. — I also think Les might trade back like he has done a few times

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My concern is his size & I think there could be better value with the 3rd rd pick. — I also think Les might trade back like he has done a few times

I have no concerns about his size. He's 206 lbs. on a 5'7" body, and is built solidly. He doesn't have the mileage on him that, say, Taylor of Wisconsin would have. I've heard Sproles and Freeman comps, but what sticks with me is Maurice Jones-Drew. CEH is built like MJD, runs like MJD, catches and blocks like MJD, etc. He'd be an immediate game changer for us, make our play-action feared again. And when he needs a breather, Henderson can make tired defenses pay.

Hell, I'd take CEH with our second round pick; I think that highly of him. And then you take someone for the offensive line, and maybe a receiver, if need be. I'm actually not as concerned about our outside linebackers. Inside, you could make a case for, but we have talent there as well. Right now, our primary need is running back, O-line, and depth for receiver, D-line, and safety.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
RBs will fall. But our #52 is too soon for a RB with out other needs. Same with WR & TE (maybe even S, DL too). If one of the stud OTs, LBs or Cushenberry is available then you take them. Otherwise, drop down since there are lots of good value that will be there for us at positions of need between 60-120. Get a RB in the 3-4th rounds.