Rams OTA's & minicamp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Looks like LA Rams kicking around idea of another training camp Punter.​

How many punters will the LA Rams roster this year? If you said more than one, then you are probably wrong. But right now, the LA Rams have two punters competing for that one roster spot, and it appears that they are kicking around the idea of a third punter. That’s correct, much like the Mother Goose nursery rhyme entitled Goldilocks and the Three Bears, the LA Rams may have discovered that the team needs a third option on the roster to be just right. Huh?

If the truth is told, the LA Ram’s current set of punters each had question marks. Veteran Riley Dixon is the NFL veteran who fills the failsafe option for the Rams. While he may not threaten to put up a Pro Bowl season, he knows the role and can perform at an NFL level.

Rookie punter Cameron Dicker could put up huge numbers, even as a punter, but his dual role in college as both punter and placekicker has negated the opportunity to gain valuable experience that is vital for an NFL punter. Namely, he has no background in receiving the long snap and putting the football down in time for placekicker Matt Gay to boot it through the uprights.

This porridge is too hot. That porridge is too cold. So the LA Rams appear to be taking their queue and bringing in a third punter, hopefully, one that is just right.

The LA Rams’ net for a new punter may be cast again, as word is that the team is giving a tryout to former Nevada punter Julian Diaz. Diaz is a name you might recognize as that mentioned as one of seven players who the LA Rams reportedly met with before the 2022 NFL Draft. Now the scenario is repeating, as First Round Management sports agent Austin Pfenninger reports on social media:

So is this a sign or just sound vetting by the LA Rams? Well, as Austin shared with me today:

“They’re (LA Rams) flying him in today and he’ll be there for all of mini camp so he’ll get a multi-day tryout.”
As we had shared previously, Diaz is a 6-foot-1 215-pound full-service punter who boasts a rather impressive body of work. His performance certainly warrants closer inspection. Per his senior stats, 50 punts resulted in just four touchbacks, 10 fair catches, 11 inside the 20-yard line, and 20 punts that traveled over 50+ yards. He did not have any punts blocked in his collegiate career. But what difference can Diaz make in a game?

“Last year against Wyoming, I started off a little rough and then started getting warm and then I hit a 70-yarder and that kind of warmed me up,” Diaz said. “The last punt where I bounced it out at the 1-yard line, everybody was all hyped up and I got hyped up and ever since then punting has kind of changed for me. Punting is taken seriously now and I know when I get the opportunity, I can really make a difference.” – Julian Diaz as per Nevada Sports Net Chris Murray
This young man has a strong leg, possesses a great attitude, and he now is getting a second opportunity to impress the LA Rams coaching staff and hopefully win a chance to compete for a roster spot. Too hot, too cold, just right? Perhaps. But the LA Rams are bringing the young man in for a second look.

That has to count for something, doesn’t it?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dear God camp needs to get here.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Dear God camp needs to get here.
Man, I am the opposite.

Still reveling and celebrating the excitement of a great season, fantastic post-season and Super Bowl win.

What the 2021 Rams accomplished is so rare and so difficult, and so fucking rewarding to a life-long-fan.

Also enjoying a mostly successful and fun off-season ... thus far. So much positivity and optimism.

I do know what it feels like to be anxious for the start of training-camp. For about 15 years before McVay became HC, and for most of the decade of the 1990s, I felt exactly that way.

The Rams usually had 3-5 wins at Thanksgiving, and I was already thinking about Free Agency and the Draft five months away. By the time June rolled-around, I could not wait for things to get started. The excitement started with training-camp and usually lasted through September. Then there was disappointment and frustration through October and into early-November. And finally, it was Thanksgiving again!!!

But for the GSOT-run from 1999-2003, that was most of my 30s, 40's and early-50's.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Man, I am the opposite.

Still reveling and celebrating the excitement of a great season, fantastic post-season and Super Bowl win.

What the 2021 Rams accomplished is so rare and so difficult, and so fucking rewarding to a life-long-fan.

What they did was historical. From now until the end of time, it will always be said that the first Super Bowl played at SoFi stadium was won by the Rams. And the Rams are the first team to win a conference championship in the same building that the Super Bowl was played two weeks later.

And on top of that, just look at how the postseason unfolded. From the divisional round on, every single game went down to the wire. It doesn't take much effort to make a very strong case that this was the best, most exciting postseason in NFL history. Our new QB had a game-winning drive in each of our last 3 postseason games, including an epic drive with a short-handed offense in the Super Bowl. Our all-world defensive player made game-ending plays in the conference championship and then again in the Super Bowl, coming up big at precisely the biggest moment. We beat our most hated rivals in the conference championship, handing them a soul-crushing loss after dangling the possibility of victory in front of their smug fucking faces. And two weeks later, we hoisted the Lombardi in our own home stadium in the first Super Bowl ever played there.

The '99 run is the only thing that compares with it in Rams history; that too was an epic run but the circumstances were different. But in both cases, if you had written either of those seasons at a Hollywood script before they happened, you would have been laughed at. And yet, they happened.

This one is going to be tough to beat.

dang

Legend
What they did was historical. From now until the end of time, it will always be said that the first Super Bowl played at SoFi stadium was won by the Rams. And the Rams are the first team to win a conference championship in the same building that the Super Bowl was played two weeks later.

And on top of that, just look at how the postseason unfolded. From the divisional round on, every single game went down to the wire. It doesn't take much effort to make a very strong case that this was the best, most exciting postseason in NFL history. Our new QB had a game-winning drive in each of our last 3 postseason games, including an epic drive with a short-handed offense in the Super Bowl. Our all-world defensive player made game-ending plays in the conference championship and then again in the Super Bowl, coming up big at precisely the biggest moment. We beat our most hated rivals in the conference championship, handing them a soul-crushing loss after dangling the possibility of victory in front of their smug fucking faces. And two weeks later, we hoisted the Lombardi in our own home stadium in the first Super Bowl ever played there.

The '99 run is the only thing that compares with it in Rams history; that too was an epic run but the circumstances were different. But in both cases, if you had written either of those seasons at a Hollywood script before they happened, you would have been laughed at. And yet, they happened.

This one is going to be tough to beat.
So 2022 season will be immortalized in the future film American Underdog II about the greatest NFL receiver of all time Cooper Kupp.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Couple thoughts about the above press conference.

Thank goodness for Jourdan Rodrigue asking Aaron Donald football questions because there seemed to be one or two non-football reporters who were only interested in asking about non-football-stuff. Although that's understandable, most of us fans are just happy to have a truly great Rams' player under contract and motivated to perform at the highest of levels, with Team-success-goals.

Seems to me that McVay genuinely understands and appreciates how good things are for the Rams and him. That's cool.

Finally (and most disturbingly) aside from the whole penis-thing, I think I may be in love with Cooper Kupp.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thank goodness for Jourdan Rodrigue asking Aaron Donald football questions
No kidding! I think I heard one or two other football questions but Jourdan was all about football. Sure hope she's around our team for a long time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Three storylines to watch as Rams open 2022 mandatory minicamp​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The Rams will hold their 2022 mandatory minicamp June 7-9. In advance of that taking place, here are three storylines to keep an eye on.

1) Structure of minicamp and opportunities for young players

Given how many players were banged up last season, Rams head coach Sean McVay has leaned on an "above the neck" approach in order to not physically tax players during spring workouts. The entire offseason program is also lasting just eight weeks – this week being the final week – instead of the traditional nine.

That plan to keep players healthy also means more opportunities for younger players on Los Angeles' roster be evaluated closely this week.

McVay said during his press conference last week that the structure of minicamp will look "almost identical" to what reporters observed during last weeks organized team activities.

2) Seeing "elite at all three levels" for the first time

McVay said last week he expects defensive lineman Aaron Donald to be at minicamp this week, so that means minicamp should provide a first look at Donald, linebacker Bobby Wagner and defensive back Jalen Ramsey all on the field at the same time.

Collectively, the trio has amassed 16 First Team All-Pro selections in their careers.

View: https://twitter.com/jalenramsey/status/1509641560501075983?s=21&t=409MpM8FL6efv8J0ludhvA

3) Right guard watch

The Rams have a hole at right guard to fill following Austin Corbett's departure in free agency. Minicamp should be the first chance to see the early candidates to replace him before that position battle picks back up against in training camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams minicamp: News and notes from Day 1 of practice

Cameron DaSilva/June 7, 2022
1654697034574.png

After holding voluntary practice sessions over the last couple of weeks, the Los Angeles Rams kicked off mandatory minicamp on Tuesday – the first of three practices before the team breaks for summer. It’s still a very light, jog-through pace of practice, but it’s still great to see the collection of the Rams’ stars on the field together – including Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.

Here are some notes and takeaways from the first day of minicamp, which will wrap up on Thursday.

Injuries

• McVay disclosed that rookie running back Kyren Williams broke his foot in practice last week and underwent surgery. The procedure went well, but Williams is going to be sidelined until the early portion of training camp in July.
  • Darrell Henderson Jr. is still dealing with a soft-tissue injury, which McVay also confirmed on Tuesday.

Attendance​

Aaron Donald was in attendance for the first day of minicamp, as expected. There were questions about whether he would be there before he signed his new contract on Monday, but with the deal done, he was on the field with his teammates to kick off minicamp.

Jalen Ramsey was also in attendance after he was absent for most of the Rams’ OTA sessions. Ramsey did participate in a workout a couple of weeks ago when Troy Hill arrived, but he was not on the field last week for the final round of OTAs.

Not that there was any doubt, but Cooper Kupp practiced on the first day of minicamp, too. He’s expected to get a new contract this offseason, but in no way is he holding out for a raise.

A’Shawn Robinson was away during OTAs last week but he was on the field for mandatory minicamp Tuesday.

View: https://twitter.com/KevinModesti/status/1534207805741158401/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1534213335188549633%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es2_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2Flists%2Frams-minicamp-news-notes-day-1-practice%2F

Andrew Whitworth is hanging around

View: https://twitter.com/StuJRams/status/1534209122177978368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1534209122177978368%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2Flists%2Frams-minicamp-news-notes-day-1-practice%2F
Whitworth might have retired this offseason, but he’s not going very far. He was in the Rams’ war room during the draft, and on Tuesday, he was on the field with McVay for minicamp – not in uniform, of course. He was simply observing the practice, and McVay said he’s welcome to do so anytime.

Bobby Wagner is already impressing
It’s only June, but McVay can already see the impact that Wagner is having on the defense – not just as a player, but as a leader and communicator in the second level of the defense.
“I think Bobby’s communication, his ownership of what Raheem and the defensive coaches are trying to get done already is really impressive,” McVay said.

When Donald was asked about taking the field with Wagner for the first time, he gave a big smile and said it’s great to hear his communication behind him on the field.

“It’s good. I got to give him a big hug out there today, see him out there and understand him. Hearing him behind me communicate some things. you can feel his leadership presence, so it’s definitely been great.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1534240893238054912

Cooper Kupp isn't looking to reset the WR market
Kupp said this before, but he reiterated it again on Tuesday: His goal is not to reset the market for wide receivers with his new contract. He just wants something that’s fair and that works for both him and his family, as well as the team.

“No. I stand by what my word has been,” he said. I’m not trying to compare myself or say, ‘Where’s Tyreek at?’ Or all these guys that got deals. ‘Where were all those guys at and I need to be higher than them in certain places.’ I really want this to be a collaboration, something we work together on. That is my goal and that’s why I think it’s really important (to) be involved a little bit more than I have in the past.”

Last edited: