Rams offseason analysis: Wide receivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Watkins:
39 receptions
593 yards
8 TDs

Jeffery:
57 receptions
789 yards
9 TDs

Tag Watkins!
I’m really torn all around when it comes to Watkins. I understand the logic in Tagging him, but I don’t want the Rams using 15 million in cap space for that. I want him to be resigned to a deal, but fear that maybe he just isn’t right for this offense.

To be honest, I wouldn’t even mind the Rams signing a Paul Richardson or Marquise Lee type (minus the drops). I like Sammy Watkins, and prefer the Rams keep him, but only retain him in a way that makes sense for the Rams cap space.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Dolphins tag Landry.

Does that make a tag of Watkins go up in price?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/The-Daily-Dose-Who-Could-Be-Tagged-By-the-Rams/8967510a-46d5-4199-9870-5ac830774702

Should Rams franchise Sammy Watkins or Lamarcus Joyner?
Kristen Lago

Beginning on Tuesday, all 32 NFL clubs will have the opportunity to tag one player with either the franchise or transition tag. The tags allow a club to keep a potential free agent with a one-year, guaranteed contract — one that is in line with the highest paid players in the league. The deadline to apply a tag is on March 6.

The Rams currently have 14 players on track to be unrestricted free agents, including more than five starters from the 2017 season. And this week, ESPN.com writer Alden Gonzalez is taking a look at two of Los Angeles’ upcoming free agents — wide receiver Sammy Watkins and safety Lamarcus Joyner — who could be potential candidates for a franchise or transition tag.

Sammy Watkins:

Projected price: $16.23M (franchise), $14.03M (transition)

Reason For: “The Rams gave up a 2018 second-round pick -- not to mention a strong cornerback in E.J. Gaines -- to obtain Watkins, which should be reason enough to give him more than one season to fit in... A multiyear extension could be risky because of his history of foot injuries, but the franchise tag could work out for both parties.”

Reason Against: “Watkins' downfield presence helped open the middle of the field for Woods and Kupp, but Watkins himself finished with only 39 catches for 593 yards in 15 games...Simply put: Watkins didn't produce enough to warrant a $16 million-plus price tag for the 2018 season, especially with so many needs upcoming on defense.”

Lamarcus Joyner:

Projected price: $11.08M (franchise), $9.50M (transition)

Reason For: “The Rams similarly can't afford to lose Joyner. Pro Football Focus made him the third-highest-graded safety in 2017, his first year transitioning away from slot corner. He's small -- listed at 5-foot-8, 190 pounds -- but he hits big and brings great ball skills.”

Reason Against: “Franchising Joyner might mean running the risk of not bringing back Watkins. It also might mean not locking up Joyner long term, and the Rams have appeared willing to do that dating back to last offseason...In an ideal scenario, the Rams would agree to a long-term deal with Joyner before the start of free agency, on March 14, which would then allow them to use their franchise tag on Watkins if they so choose. But the ideal scenario hardly ever presents itself.”

*Projected prices were provided by OvertheCap.com

Psycho_X

Legend
The memory of Givens, Pettis, Bailey, and Quick competing to be our top WR’s is still vivid in my mind.

giphy.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Letting Watkins walk means letting a 2nd rd draft pick and EJ Gaines walk too. Gotta give Sammy and Goff a full off season, OTA's and TC. No surprise Sammy didn't have big numbers. Coming in at the start of the season with no reps with the O made it rough for him. Replacing him with another player is a step backwards.

Work something out and get him signed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/The-Daily-Dose-Who-Could-Be-Tagged-By-the-Rams/8967510a-46d5-4199-9870-5ac830774702

Should Rams franchise Sammy Watkins or Lamarcus Joyner?
Kristen Lago

Beginning on Tuesday, all 32 NFL clubs will have the opportunity to tag one player with either the franchise or transition tag. The tags allow a club to keep a potential free agent with a one-year, guaranteed contract — one that is in line with the highest paid players in the league. The deadline to apply a tag is on March 6.

The Rams currently have 14 players on track to be unrestricted free agents, including more than five starters from the 2017 season. And this week, ESPN.com writer Alden Gonzalez is taking a look at two of Los Angeles’ upcoming free agents — wide receiver Sammy Watkins and safety Lamarcus Joyner — who could be potential candidates for a franchise or transition tag.

Sammy Watkins:

Projected price: $16.23M (franchise), $14.03M (transition)

Reason For: “The Rams gave up a 2018 second-round pick -- not to mention a strong cornerback in E.J. Gaines -- to obtain Watkins, which should be reason enough to give him more than one season to fit in... A multiyear extension could be risky because of his history of foot injuries, but the franchise tag could work out for both parties.”

Reason Against: “Watkins' downfield presence helped open the middle of the field for Woods and Kupp, but Watkins himself finished with only 39 catches for 593 yards in 15 games...Simply put: Watkins didn't produce enough to warrant a $16 million-plus price tag for the 2018 season, especially with so many needs upcoming on defense.”

Lamarcus Joyner:

Projected price: $11.08M (franchise), $9.50M (transition)

Reason For: “The Rams similarly can't afford to lose Joyner. Pro Football Focus made him the third-highest-graded safety in 2017, his first year transitioning away from slot corner. He's small -- listed at 5-foot-8, 190 pounds -- but he hits big and brings great ball skills.”

Reason Against: “Franchising Joyner might mean running the risk of not bringing back Watkins. It also might mean not locking up Joyner long term, and the Rams have appeared willing to do that dating back to last offseason...In an ideal scenario, the Rams would agree to a long-term deal with Joyner before the start of free agency, on March 14, which would then allow them to use their franchise tag on Watkins if they so choose. But the ideal scenario hardly ever presents itself.”

*Projected prices were provided by OvertheCap.com
When I review the present under contract Rams talent level & numbers of players of the receiver (WR/SL/TE) cadre vs the DB cadre ? It takes only a half second to come up with an answer that the Rams DB unit is presently in a state of critical condition.

Easy for me I'm tagging the player who is on the field for every defensive snap & can play all the secondary positions if needed. A player who could be the leader of this new secondary.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Letting Watkins walk means letting a 2nd rd draft pick and EJ Gaines walk too
That's already spent, that was the cost of getting him for 2017.
It's irrelevant as to what to pay him going forward.

I think a transition tag on Joyner makes the most sense. Its in line with what he's worth on an annual basis, and lets them focus on the others.
Woods and Kupp were by far the most productive receivers last year, and a great core to build on. Paying Watkins more than both combined for producing less just doesn't make any sense

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Rams likely will make a move and cut Austin, who technically remains a receiver but played almost no part in the pass game this season. Austin’s small role in the offense in 2017 can easily be filled by Pharoh Cooper

Austin will be gone

retaining TA would be a wise move. It really will only cost you 3 million & a roster spot.

Austin has been such a non factor I can't see him returning. Even if releasing him saved nothing I think they have to consider that he's using up a roster spot for almost zero production. The fact that they could save 3 million releasing him as opposed to keeping him makes it a no brainer to me.

Austin's only value was as a RB last year

I think many are underestimating Tavon Austin's effect as a decoy.....I think his use declined our last 4 or 5 weeks....so did the teams scoring average. Just a thought.

No reason to lose Sammy W. Just stupid to even think about. I hope we didn't just throw a 2nd round pick away....and NO...don't wanna tag him....and NO, don't wanna tag Joyner either....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I think many are underestimating Tavon Austin's effect as a decoy

No one's overlooking his value as a decoy. The problem is the price tag which goes with that decoy. Pharoh Cooper can do that job as well for a lot less money.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When I review the present under contract Rams talent level & numbers of players of the receiver (WR/SL/TE) cadre vs the DB cadre ? It takes only a half second to come up with an answer that the Rams DB unit is presently in a state of critical condition.

Easy for me I'm tagging the player who is on the field for every defensive snap & can play all the secondary positions if needed. A player who could be the leader of this new secondary.

View: https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/966792063374299137

The Rams might be forced to weigh using the franchise tag on either WR Sammy Watkins or S Lamarcus Joyner. In that scenario, I believe they go with Joyner and Watkins hits the market.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9635/lamarcus-joyner

NFL Network's Mike Garofolo reports the Rams are more likely to use the franchise tag on DB Lamarcus Joyner than Sammy Watkins.

Formerly the Rams' slot corner, Joyner shifted full time to safety in 2017 and had by far his best season. Joyner picked off the first three passes of his career, forced a fumble and earned high all-around marks from Pro Football Focus. He turns 28 in November.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What did Tavon do last year or the year before that was worth the opponents fearing him?
Maybe he talks a good game....or it's the tatoos....or his fearsome grin....IDK....but teams respect him coming around the end, with or without the ball....probably from memory....I know this, they don't seem to respect Pharoh when he gets on the field.....
Guys like Tavon....and Watkins....while the numbers don't necessarily show it...are valuable to McVay's offense....and should be replaced B4 being dumped...in cost saving moves.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I doubt that Pharoh strikes fear in defenders like Tavon....

You mean the type of fear opposing players have when PC is running back the ball on a return or the type of fear Rams players and coaches have when TD is getting ready to catch the ball on a punt return? :sneaky:

Look, I know what Tavis Austin brings to the table but I just don't think it's worth the money he's getting paid to do it. If he stays on the 2018 roster I won't get upset. If he's not with the team in 2018 it won't bother me either.