Rams offseason analysis: Wide receivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Yeah... I'm not saying "let him go"... I just don't want to commit to more than a year because I'm still not sure.
Two of his TD's receiving were all world, the cat has hands. He and Goff just need more time together, didn't get it last year cause we got him to late
train

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yes signing him would be preferred for myself at least. He comes with risk of injury, but the guy was open all over the joint last year. For reference Jeffery got 4 years $52M with $27M guaranteed. So it's basically a two year deal and I'm fine with that sort of approach on Watkins.

Yeah it does. Tavon should have been moved last year before the season, with the Rams eating some of that salary and at least recouping some mediocre draft capital. Now it's like a bad case of herpes.

Except every coach comes in and says, hey the guy obviously has talent . I'll get the most out of him. I know he hasn't lived up to his draft status or contract but it looks like he'll be around next year.

With that said I'd like to see him purely at RB and put on ten pounds. I'd like to see him take on a Darren Sproles type roll . I think that's where he would exceed imo.

nighttrain

Legend
Watkins over 1000 as a rook and almost that the next season when he hurt his foot, next season surgery
damn fine first two seasons as a receiver
train

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two of his TD's receiving were all world, the cat has hands. He and Goff just need more time together, didn't get it last year cause we got him to late
train
Yeah... I struggle with that "he didn't have enough time" argument.

He came in during TC and had all season. If you look at his game logs, hit wasn't like he continually improved... he was basically flat all season long.

He was targeted 70 times and caught 39 of them. And, there was plenty of lively discussion with regard to his effort at times (quitting on routes).

I just want one year to make sure he's all that many think he is.

nighttrain

Legend
Except every coach comes in and says, hey the guy obviously has talent . I'll get the most out of him. I know he hasn't lived up to his draft status or contract but it looks like he'll be around next year.

With that said I'd like to see him purely at RB and put on ten pounds. I'd like to see him take on a Darren Sproles type roll . I think that's where he would exceed imo.
huh? what is it with every coach, he's only been with the Bills and the Rams? a running back, hilarious
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I just don't understand how so many fans have that take with Sammy...

Season One: 65 receptions for 982 yards (15.1 avg) and 6 TDs over 16 games
Season Two: 60 receptions for 1,047 yards (17.5 avg) and 9 TDs over 13 games
Season Three: 28 receptions for 430 yards (15.4 avg) and 2 TDs over 8 games
Season Four: 39 receptions for 593 yards (15.2 avg) and 8 TDs over 14 games

He lived up to his draft status in his rookie year. He lived up to his draft status in year two and he was even better albeit dinged up. Year three he was injured and guess what else happened? Yeah they hired Rex Ryan and his defense-first philosophy that year. And keep in mind over those three years what he was playing with on that offensive unit in terms of talent at QB.

Last year the dude didn't get a camp. Ran all over wide open without the ball going his way due to other earlier reads also being wide open. It's not a stretch of any kind to see his value (to include his impact on stretching the field) and that with another camp and McVay seeing what happened on film that he'll be an earlier read.

Rams will keep him around and next year it won't be so easy for defenses to show a look to Goff presnap to discourage his usage. Goff will be better next year. McVay will be too. And so will Sammy.

Ram65

Legend
Watkins:
39 receptions
593 yards
8 TDs

Jeffery:
57 receptions
789 yards
9 TDs

Tag Watkins!

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...eed-to-know-about-the-nfls-2018-franchise-tag
2017 Wide receiver $15,682,000

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-candidates-to-receive-franchise-tag-in-2018/

Possible 2018 number Wide Receiver
$16,235,000 3.53 increase

That's a lot of money. I'm not a fan of franchising Watkins or anyone for that matter. After the TruJo fiasco it doesn't seem worth it.

nighttrain

Legend

He lived up to his draft status in his rookie year. He lived up to his draft status in year two and he was even better albeit dinged up. Year three he was injured and guess what else happened? Yeah they hired Rex Ryan and his defense-first philosophy that year. And keep in mind over those three years what he was playing with on that offensive unit in terms of talent at QB.

Last year the dude didn't get a camp. Ran all over wide open without the ball going his way due to other earlier reads also being wide open. It's not a stretch of any kind to see his value (to include his impact on stretching the field) and that with another camp and McVay seeing what happened on film that he'll be an earlier read.

Rams will keep him around and next year it won't be so easy for defenses to show a look to Goff presnap to discourage his usage. Goff will be better next year. McVay will be too. And so will Sammy.
great recap Merlin, Goff to Watkins will be a much used phrase this season
train

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...eed-to-know-about-the-nfls-2018-franchise-tag
2017 Wide receiver $15,682,000

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-candidates-to-receive-franchise-tag-in-2018/

Possible 2018 number Wide Receiver
$16,235,000 3.53 increase

That's a lot of money. I'm not a fan of franchising Watkins or anyone for that matter. After the TruJo fiasco it doesn't seem worth it.
All I'm saying is... I'd rather spend a little more (if need be) for one year and feel confident... than get tied up for years, only to find out the player isn't what I'd hoped he be.

Ram65

Legend
All I'm saying is... I'd rather spend a little more (if need be) for one year and feel confident... than get tied up for years, only to find out the player isn't what I'd hoped he be.

I got that what you were saying after I posted.

Franchise tagging is like playing with fire, Suppose he has a great year. What's it go up to??? Say 20% more the next year to 19.5 Million. He then has the Rams over a barrel so to speak.

For reference Jeffery got 4 years $52M with $27M guaranteed. So it's basically a two year deal and I'm fine with that sort of approach on Watkins.

I think Watkins gets a little less but, either way it won't really hurt the Rams cap if he plays bad. Right now the Rams don't have a great deal of money invested in the WR group. Woods good deal for Rams and Kupp on rookie contract.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

oh dude i thought we were talking Tavon Austin looool whoops.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re: Tavon it's great to see that the Rams get a kickback. Still a terrible contract but it probably ensures the Rams don't consider letting him have another camp. If the savings is only $3M there is definitely an argument of "well we've wasted this much money why not let him see if he can come online." Which would pi$$ me off, because I detest seeing him get playing time over other guys like Pharoh on the basis of his speed.

Trade would be best of course, but no team's that stupid unfortunately.