Rams Off Season Thread baby!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
It's a byproduct IMO of how McVay wants the defense to play. When you play it safe trying to not give up the big plays you aren't going to be forcing those turnovers. The Rams were 30th with 15 less than half what the league leaders had at 31. Add to that our return guy was absolute shit and that isn't surprising. I honestly think as long as we have McVay running the show this is the defense he wants.

Meanwhile we were 7th in limiting "explosive" runs and 8th in passes. Those are the stats McVay wants. A defensive score is the icing on the cake but he's not worried about having it.
Agreed. I’m not worried about the TDs but the below average to shit ST components is glaring. As was Donald getting tripled teamed yet so little pressure on opposing QBs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't believe McVay is the type of guy to play it safe on either side of the ball. Way I see it his defense the past couple years has been largely related to the talent, or lack thereof, on the roster. He and Raheem adjusted shit to best utilize what they had, and did a damn fine job maximizing it during that playoff run for the title.

But going forward I suspect we're going to see a front that is much more aggressive, and eventually a defense that pressures well in all phases. Secondary probably isn't there yet, for 2024. But I'm expecting in the next couple years that this unit will emerge nicely and we will see them go back to doing what the offense does, which is pushing strategic trends through creative approaches to league trends.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. I’m not worried about the TDs but the below average to shit ST components is glaring. As was Donald getting tripled teamed yet so little pressure on opposing QBs.
Part of the rebuilding the roster we went thru after the Super Bowl is exactly what caused our ST woes. We had a weak bottom part of the roster which is where ST players come from.

As for pressures see the above explanation on rebuilding the roster. Couldn't keep Gaines, Robinson, Miller etc etc etc. Add to that the young and shaky secondary they couldn't really blitz a lot, middle of the pack in blitz% but closer to last than 5th place. Then again with how conservative McVay wants the defense will the blitz% ever go up? Luckily they've in the last 2 draft added a lot of very very good young pieces to the front 7. I think, and I've said before, that in the end this defense will be better this year without AD. It's just too bad we couldn't have added Turner, Fiske, Young and Verse to a team with AD.

Tano

Legend
It's a byproduct IMO of how McVay wants the defense to play. When you play it safe trying to not give up the big plays you aren't going to be forcing those turnovers. The Rams were 30th with 15 less than half what the league leaders had at 31. Add to that our return guy was absolute shit and that isn't surprising. I honestly think as long as we have McVay running the show this is the defense he wants.

Meanwhile we were 7th in limiting "explosive" runs and 8th in passes. Those are the stats McVay wants. A defensive score is the icing on the cake but he's not worried about having it.
The problem with that philosophy is that our starting position on offense was one of the worst in the league. I know McVay doesn't like giving up big plays but playing as conservative as he did means longer drives for our offense.

I would hope for a happy medium going forth.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem with that philosophy is that our starting position on offense was one of the worst in the league. I know McVay doesn't like giving up big plays but playing as conservative as he did means longer drives for our offense.

Pitch your idea to the man! It looks like though that we have better talent by a wide margin returning kicks and punts.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hard to return a punt when you are fair catching at around the 10 yard line frequently.

Hey Mr.positive,thanks 4that. Where are the stats of The Rams starting position in 2023 compared to the League?

I like Ethan Evans as a punter & his ability to PIN Teams deep.Boston Scott is a value player on Special Teams.

I guess I always like a PR than a Kick-Off return no matter how conservative you get.ONE Kickoff return a game is pretty freaking good.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The lack of attention to Special teams is frustrating. As is the extreme risk aversion. It feels like McVay tries to minimize Specisl Teams, instead of exploiting them.

His approach stresses the offense and it also lost him the Ravens game. The kick coverage was not good.

Firing Bones is indicative of Sean’s dislike for taking risks on special teams. I loved the fake punts and crafty returns that he dialed up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Firing Bones is indicative of Sean’s dislike for taking risks on special teams. I loved the fake punts and crafty returns that he dialed up.
He wasnt actually fired though, IIRC his contract had expired and he went to the Cowboys. Seemed as though he wanted out. Kind of felt like the Goff situation, there was clearly a rift between the two and when the opportunity came to make a change, they took it.
Bones had been there for so long before McVay came along, I just thought that Bones felt impunity to do things his way, and McVay wanted total control. So given a choice of a fresh start or sticking with a situation that wasnt optimal, Bones took his talents to Big D.
Again, all just my own opinion

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If I recall correctly, in the final game of the 2019 Season, Fassel called a punt-fake against the Cardinals deep in Rams' territory; and it failed. As I remember, Fassel called the fake without McVay's knowledge, and the Rams' Head Coach was angry about it.

That could have contributed to Fassel not returning in 2020.

It's one thing to have confidence in a top assistant but I can understand a head coach wanting to give his approval for a fake punt play that may only be called (at most) once or twice in an entire season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If I recall correctly, in the final game of the 2019 Season, Fassel called a punt-fake against the Cardinals deep in Rams' territory; and it failed. As I remember, Fassel called the fake without McVay's knowledge, and the Rams' Head Coach was angry about it.

That could have contributed to Fassel not returning in 2020.

It's one thing to have confidence in a top assistant but I can understand a head coach wanting to give his approval for a fake punt play that may only be called (at most) once or twice in an entire season.
I believe they agreed to mutually part ways. Fassel liked the opportunity in Dallas and McVay felt he wanted his own special team coach.

The irony was that McVay's choice was Chase Blackburn, but back then Blackburn chose to say in Charlotte with the Panthers because they gave him his first opportunity. McVay then really had not much to pick from and ended hiring John Bonamego for one year before bringing in Joe DeCamillis.

McVay now has the guy he wanted originally for special teams and we shall see if Blackburn takes a sad song and makes it better this year. IMO, with Karty, he is already half way there.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Kick returns as we know it are gone. Its a whole new way now, and it looks like with the signing of Scott and the drafting of Kardy the Rams are finally paying attention to ST. I'm still worried about coverage though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Hey Mr.positive,thanks 4that. Where are the stats of The Rams starting position in 2023 compared to the League?

I like Ethan Evans as a punter & his ability to PIN Teams deep.Boston Scott is a value player on Special Teams.

I guess I always like a PR than a Kick-Off return no matter how conservative you get.ONE Kickoff return a game is pretty freaking good.
Of course now, most kicks will be returned, like it or not.

Tano

Legend

I remember looking at the starting position for the Rams in 2022 and they started at 25 yard line or closer over 75 percent of the time.

That can't be good.

And just going by my memory - 2023 couldn't have been much better. (I admit I could be wrong though.)

I may have to check.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I’m happy about it. Kick returns should be an exciting part of the game. I’m glad that McVay cannot run away from it anymore.

And I understand that offense is his forte and he has control over what happens in that aspect of the game, but didn’t have control under the old system of returning kicks.

Maybe this new kickoff rule will get McVay more interested in kickoff return and see it as an opportunity.

Tano

Legend
I hate the offseason.

:hatin::hatin::hatin:
May June and July after the draft are such horrible months.

I pay attention to the Dodgers but I don't watch them as much as I used to.

And basketball - forget about it
Italian Reaction GIF by makinghistory

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That’s a good thing.Mcvay really likes the IDEA(rule change). I don’t see why NFL FANS won’t like the change?

My dad was always like just kick the ball out of the END ZONE!! Some teams had kickers that could do it. Didn’t Ethan Evans KICK OFF for The Rams ? That’s how exciting it has been the last 10 plus seasons.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I remember looking at the starting position for the Rams in 2022 and they started at 25 yard line or closer over 75 percent of the time.

That can't be good.

And just going by my memory - 2023 couldn't have been much better. (I admit I could be wrong though.)

I may have to check.
This is 2024 - but I won’t disagree.

I think The Rams understand getting better in all facets of the game is always The GOAL !!

Point being if your not giving up TD’s or FG’s who cares where you get the Football.Getting your Defense off field is Key!

How many times did The Rams stop teams in FG range on 4th down the last 2years. AD99 was a complete STUD!! He stepped up in those moments.