Rams New Offensive Coordinator - Liam Coen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Greg Olsen......if he is let go by the Raiders, I would love to see Greg Olsen back with the Rams.
I think he is an excellent coach that improves QB performance pretty much anywhere he goes.
Ah.. good pull.
But I doubt he'd take the job because he wouldn't be calling plays. I think it's a job for ascending coaches.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I cant see Gruden getting another HC job with all the nonsense that happened in DC, and the guilt by association with brother Jon. That's a great reason to bring him in as OC, never have to worry about him leaving, and wouldnt have to worry about firing him if it didnt work out the way McVay likes. The fact he's actually a pretty good offensive coach and disciple of the same offense religion is a bonus
Yep. And generally coordinators who are on the rebound from HC jobs tend to do well. Jay is way more qualified than most of these other coordinators out there, just a question of whether he's got that fire to come in and bust his ass under McVay. Because Jay seems like a laid back dude which is cool and all but he'd have to come in with big energy and desire for it to work.

The playcalling thing does seem to make this a longshot. But since he was the guy who gave McVay play calling responsibilities I think the hire would require that and McVay would be willing to transfer that to him if things align.

But I love the idea of having a knowledgeable OC like him who would not be on a poaching short list. That would be really nice assuming once again that he's fully bought in.

Olson is more likely because he's marketable as a HC. He's a sharp dude who's been around a long time and always does a great job. And the reason I think marketability as a HC factors in is because he knows you don't have to call plays to get a gig if you're under McVay, especially if you're an OC.

fearsomefour

Legend
Ah.. good pull.
But I doubt he'd take the job because he wouldn't be calling plays. I think it's a job for ascending coaches.
Good point and I believe you are right.
The guy has worked very well with QBs over his career for sure.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Maybe the thread title should be "Who will be another team's head coach next year?" Seems like everyone is looking for the next Sean McVay.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe the thread title should be "Who will be another team's head coach next year?" Seems like everyone is looking for the next Sean McVay.
I am surprised that O’Connell was such a hot property but I expect it is because they bring the culture as well as know-how with them. Everything we hear says the atmosphere in the and around the team is second to none

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Brown is obviously a smart dude and a great communicator. Watching that SB interview I can see why McVay likes him so much. You can't have enough guys like that around you. Comparing him with Wes Phillips he is much more of what I looked for in leaders, I always worked hard to promote the guys who had those types of skills.

Wes is a bit too reserved for me. I'm sure the guy has a lot of football knowledge and he's done a great job with the TE group but his personality probably caps him at OC. Brown's got the stuff to run the whole show IMO.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I’d guess Brown or Coen. But honestly, I have absolutely zero concerns about this. McVay will have lots of interest (guys know it’s the best spot to be for future HC) and he will pick someone good. Further, he’s the true OC, so again not concerned.

D side is the most important coach wise for the Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You gotta be really good to promote to coordinator on McVay's staff. Brown is definitely good enough but yeah you're right that there will be a ton of competition.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’d guess Brown or Coen. But honestly, I have absolutely zero concerns about this. McVay will have lots of interest (guys know it’s the best spot to be for future HC) and he will pick someone good. Further, he’s the true OC, so again not concerned.

D side is the most important coach wise for the Rams.
Something that struck me today...

I figured that having to hire new coaches every offseason has to be exhausting for McVay... and then I realized he chose to move on from Kromer last year and bring in Carberry.

I'm starting to think it doesn't phase him at all and, in fact, he looks forward to it as a chance to interview people, build new relationships and learn things.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's got really high standards. I love that. Nothing against Kromer but from what I've seen so far of Carberry we have good development without the favoritism.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Los Angeles Rams expect several assistant coaches to be on the move after Super Bowl LVI​

Los Angeles Rams victories this season will result in losses after the season.

Offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell is set to become the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings after Super Bowl LVI, and he is expected to take Rams tight ends coach/passing game coordinator Wes Phillips with him as his offensive coordinator or passing game coordinator, per league sources.

Rams secondary coach/passing game coordinator Ejiro Evero is expected to become the Denver Broncos' defensive coordinator, per sources.

But the Rams have reinforcements on their mind. Kentucky offensive coordinator Liam Coen, who already has worked as the Rams' quarterbacks coach under Sean McVay, is a prime candidate to succeed O'Connell, per league sources.

Former Las Vegas Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Olson, who also worked as the Rams' quarterback coach in 2017, is likely to return to the staff and could garner offensive coordinator consideration or take over the same quarterbacks coaching job he once held with the organization, per league sources. Los Angeles has been eyeing him as an offensive coaching replacement for weeks; Olson's job in Las Vegas has been filled with new head coach Josh McDaniels hiring former New England Patriots wide receivers coach Mick Lombardi as his new offensive coordinator, according to sources.

Los Angeles also could decide to promote running backs coach Thomas Brown, who received head-coaching interviews, to be offensive coordinator, so there are options for the brain drain that the Rams are about to experience.

Then again, the Rams already knew they would be losing assistant coaches and have been through this before. Of the 20 coaches that were on their staff from Super Bowl LIII, only six remain on staff.

Assistants are about to leave Los Angeles for promotions -- but more are expected to return to give the Rams the continuity and reliability they will need for the 2022 season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Promoting Thomas Brown makes the most since, but it would also mean he'd be in line to get a head coaching job soon.

Thomas Brown makes sense. But I want Sean to put a guy like Jay Gruden or Greg Olson on staff. We don't want things to get stale or have guys who aren't willing to challenge him.

If I’m betting… right now…
I’ll say Thomas Brown.
If McVay doesn’t promote Brown then it’s likely he’s going with McConnel. He’s interviewing for the Vikings OC job.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I think Wes gets passed over again and moves on. I also don't think Brown is in the running now. Just looking back at this running game in the Super Bowl, I don't think Brown will make the cut. Him at OC probably doesn't give us a special run game, and he'd require more involvement from McVay in the pass game design.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Looks like Coen is the current clubhouse leader
Hopefully McVay retiring is not true, but Cohen is a bright offensive mind and IMO, he & Olson would be an excellent addition to the staff.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McVay wants to leave soon, please let Thomas Brown take over