Rams make 2y offer to RFA Center Ryan Groy(Buffalo)/Bills match offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Same here @TheDYVKX....We can't know for sure if Groy might be overrated or underrated but should the Bills get cute and match the offer........

Put me in the group that will be very heartbroken

I think the chances are in our favor that the Bills decline to match. Their opinion of him is shown in how they tendered him only for right of first refusal; shows they don't see him as much more than depth. That contract isn't starter money, but it's likely too much for the Bills to want to pay.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
even though its a small sample size he's proven he's got potential to be a stud and could anchor the middle of our line for years if that's the case

just wish we made an offer that Buffalo wouldn't be comfortable matching.. these things just never seem to work out in our favor :(

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
even though its a small sample size he's proven he's got potential to be a stud and could anchor the middle of our line for years if that's the case

just wish we made an offer that Buffalo wouldn't be comfortable matching.. these things just never seem to work out in our favor :(

Kind of a boom or bust signing offer sheet from Snead/Demoff (Snoff ?). Genius sign if we get him at our price, should we be unsuccessful, some may wonder how much more it might have taken. Hope it works out.

DrHavenstein

Rookie
Name
Ty
Yup, 4 to go. Don't know if it has any relevance to the exact time, but Myles Simmons tweeted that there was 4 days to go around 1pm ET.

Seems like it was about the time that it was announced that Groy signed the deal.

IN_RAM

UDFA
I think the fact that he signed our offer is the best indication that we did not "low ball" him. Remember, there were reportedly "at least four teams" per Adam Caplan. In the time between the widely publicized offer and the signing, his agent surely would have heard if there were better offers out there.

Whether Buffalo bites the bullet to match or not is less important to me than knowing the front office is performing their due diligence and attaching realistic values to players. $.02

I do half wonder if this is a scenario where if the Bills match on Groy, we pounce on Gillislee and laugh at their inability to match that offer as a result of this one. Or if perhaps that threat (from anyone, not just the Rams) helps this offer slide past... (He's gotta be worth a 5th rounder to someone, just waiting to see how much to throw at him.)

Time will tell.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I think the fact that he signed our offer is the best indication that we did not "low ball" him. Remember, there were reportedly "at least four teams" per Adam Caplan. In the time between the widely publicized offer and the signing, his agent surely would have heard if there were better offers out there.

Whether Buffalo bites the bullet to match or not is less important to me than knowing the front office is performing their due diligence and attaching realistic values to players. $.02

I do half wonder if this is a scenario where if the Bills match on Groy, we pounce on Gillislee and laugh at their inability to match that offer as a result of this one. Or if perhaps that threat (from anyone, not just the Rams) helps this offer slide past... (He's gotta be worth a 5th rounder to someone, just waiting to see how much to throw at him.)

Time will tell.

Pretty sure if he didn't sign our offer sheet, he would have been stuck with less money in Buffalo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Time will tell.

I don't think it was ever a matter of low-balling Groy, it was whether we low-balled an offer that Buffalo might be willing to match. jmo

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
don't think it was ever a matter of low-balling Groy, it was whether we low-balled an offer that Buffalo might be willing to match. jmo

I understand what you're saying. However, if the Bills were willing to match, why didn't they tender Groy at 2-mil, which would've guaranteed them a 2nd Rnd pick as compensation if they decided not to match? They have the Cap space to pay him an additional 700K for this upcoming season.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I understand what you're saying. However, if the Bills were willing to match, why didn't they tender Groy at 2-mil, which would've guaranteed them a 2nd Rnd pick as compensation if they decided not to match? They have the Cap space to pay him an additional 700K for this upcoming season.

no team would give up a 2nd for him, so this way they could have another team negotiate with him so he finds out his value, and if they chose to, they can match it. It basically helps them not overpay for him by bidding against themselves.

For example: they think hes worth 3.5m/year. they give him the 2nd rd tender, which scares teams off from negotiating with him so now when they talk extension with him they are willing to go up to 3.5m/year. But now with the tender they gave him, the Rams set his price at 2.5m/year, so they just saved themselves 1m/year.

Not saying thats why they did it, but its a very logical, and imo a very likely reason why.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Groy had two pretty good guards on either side of him in Buffalo. It makes the job easier. He is still limited athletically, so maybe on a team with a less talented guard tandem, Groy doesn't play as well.

Last edited:

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
no team would give up a 2nd for him, so this way they could have another team negotiate with him so he finds out his value, and if they chose to, they can match it. It basically helps them not overpay for him by bidding against themselves.

For example: they think hes worth 3.5m/year. they give him the 2nd rd tender, which scares teams off from negotiating with him so now when they talk extension with him they are willing to go up to 3.5m/year. But now with the tender they gave him, the Rams set his price at 2.5m/year, so they just saved themselves 1m/year.

Not saying thats why they did it, but its a very logical, and imo a very likely reason why.

Good point. I understand the strategy. But, if you tender @ 2-mil, then the scare off of the 2nd round pick works to you favor ; you're locked in at 2-mil, and no outside bidding. Why pay 3.5 when you pay just 2? And, you can always work out a long term deal.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I agree, they probably should have.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I had Groy as a 6th & 7'th round pick in a couple 2014 mocks, but he went undrafted. I too would have submitted a higher offer to better guarantee his coming to L.A., and that's just one reason why those far better than me get to play at GM. The Rams have needed a real success story with a young Center for a very long time, hopefully Groy can become that guy. I don't know if its all that cheese turning farm boys into massive & successful offensive linemen, but i've been an admirer of the way Wisconsin produces them at a fairly consistent rate. Groy signed up for two years with us, giving him plenty of time to prove his value, if he does so, he'll definitely get paid well in 2019, not that becoming a bit less of a millionaire in 2017 is a bad thing. jmo.

OK @Elmgrovegnome, care to fill me in on the inappropriate remark ?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I had Groy as a 6th & 7'th round pick in a couple 2014 mocks, but he went undrafted. I too would have submitted a higher offer to better guarantee his coming to L.A., and that's just one reason why those far better than me get to play at GM. The Rams have needed a real success story with a young Center for a very long time, hopefully Groy can become that guy. I don't know if its all that cheese turning farm boys into massive & successful offensive linemen, but i've been an admirer of the way Wisconsin produces them at a fairly consistent rate. Groy signed up for two years with us, giving him plenty of time to prove his value, if he does so, he'll definitely get paid well in 2019, not that becoming a bit less of a millionaire in 2017 is a bad thing. jmo.

They don't get a lot of four star recruits, and rarely to never get five star recruits. All that much more impressive, when you see that the Wisconsin running games rival those of teams like Ohio State and Alabama every year, and those programs do it with the best OLine recruits in the country.

Buffalo will match. Unfortunately. Great to see the Rams going for the right players at the right price (overpaying is not good either). Fingers crossed that Bills somehow don't match.

Approach is aggressive but also smart

What makes you so sure they will match? If you read the entire thread, then you should agree that there are a few reasons for them not too.

This is what I'm thinking too. Kromer knows this guy well, and if we're looking at him to be the starter why wouldn't we offer 4M or 4.5M this year? Seems a little risky but what do I know.

I think paying an extra million or so this first year is better than spending a 2nd or 3rd on a rookie center and expecting the same production.

Exactly. Kromer knows Groy. I am sure Snead and Demoff didn't pull the offer out of a hat. Kromer knows his worth.

It's a new day. This new regime's free agency has been well played. If Groy was worth more then they wouldn't screw around with the offer. Demoff is pretty smart with the cap.

They offered Groy two years. That tells me that they are not totally sold on him being the center for the next ten years. They either want to see how he does as a full time player and adjust his contract after a year or two, or they plan on drafting a center this year or next. Otherwise they could have offered him three or four years and make it tougher on Buffalo to sign him.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Good point. I understand the strategy. But, if you tender @ 2-mil, then the scare off of the 2nd round pick works to you favor ; you're locked in at 2-mil, and no outside bidding. Why pay 3.5 when you pay just 2? And, you can always work out a long term deal.

Groy and the bills probably talked about a deal at some point and Groy and/or his agent may have thought he was worth 4 or 5m, and the Bills disagreed. so instead of locking him in at 2.5m or w/e the 2nd rd tender price is, and having to talk him down from the bar he set for himself being in that 4-5m range, they let him go try and find his value. He came back with 2.5m so now he, and the Bills know exactly where teams value him. If they think hes worth that much they simply match it, but now they dont have to overpay because Groy mistakenly thinks hes worth more than the Bills are offering.

Theres really no downside to the Bills using the original draft pick tender, because in the end they were only going to pay him at whatever price they felt he was worth, so if he landed a better offer they simply move on and find his replacement a year earlier.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Just thinking out loud in general about this situation with Groy .... the Rams are going to pay Whitworth 12-mil on avg per season ..... they cut Tim Barnes who was 3-mill a season. They made an offer to Groy, who is a little younger @ 5-mil for 2yrs, or 2.5 per. The amount they offered strikes me that whether Groy signs or not, there are other plans in the works. ie, sign a solid backup for the starter that you're going to use a high draft pick on.