Rams LT Andrew Whitworth expected to return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I have a problem with the title of this thread. There is nothing to show that Whitworth is expected to return. In reality, all that has been said is that Andrew WOULD LIKE TO RETURN...A HUGE DIFFERENCE. Whit's age really showed last year. He wasn't the dominant force he once was. They simply have more important places to spend their cap money like Fowler and Littleton. They have options at LT.

IMO if Noteboom is unable to start the season then Edwards will play LT with Evans playing RG and Brewer playing RT. Once Joe can take over LT then I see Edwards returning to RT where he belongs. At some point they need to move on from Whitworth and now is the time as it always has been.

So, you mean the kind of thinking that caused us to miss the playoffs?

I don't think any defender's going to matter much if we don't maximize our resources on OL this offseason. A Whit who's lost a step is still a big part of that.

We need to think about the Nick Bosas out there when considering how to move forward.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wait...why? An MCL needs 10 months recovery? No.

What am i missing here?
I thought the same thing when I read that........could be the author of this article got his info wrong. If our 2nd yr. center still has an unhealthy knee by the time TC begins then the injury was much worse than advertised.

I would be really surprised if Brian Allen is not 100% ready for TC. I would expect that when we see Allen in camp he will be look much more defined with improvement in his power & movement. I believe Allen fully understands that he must be ready to compete fully with all the other prospective centers to earn the Rams starting center post in 2020.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Look, I get if Noteboom had not been injured, the majority of this convo would be moot. But things aren't perfect.

And hoping and praying that either Evans or Edwards could even be as good as a declining Whitworth is a tall freaking order. Not as good as Whitworth... but as good as a declining Whitworth!

WestCoastRam

Legend
I thought the same thing when I read that........could be the author of this article got his info wrong. If our 2nd yr. center still has an unhealthy knee by the time TC begins then the injury was much worse than advertised.

I would be really surprised if Brian Allen is not 100% ready for TC. I would expect that when we see Allen in camp he will be look much more defined with improvement in his power & movement. I believe Allen fully understands that he must be ready to compete fully with all the other prospective centers to earn the Rams starting center post in 2020.

I think part of the issue with Noteboom not being ready for camp was that they couldn't perform the surgery right away due to swelling in the knee. Happens occasionally for even non-complicated surgeries. Maybe the case for Allen too??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As poster above has stated about Whitworth not being told by The Rams in the report. Mcvay has stated though that he loves the guy & what he has done for the Community& rams nation. He would do anything for him.

Big Whitworth is going to be a Hall of Fame player when his career comes to an end. He wants to finish out his career on a high note. He has goals for him and the Rams this season, is an excellent team leader. During practice he still is old school and runs from drill to drill.

I also think with Whitworth Being signed for another season helps the Rams by time with Noteboom. From my understanding last month he could still not even walk. Seems far-fetched to think that he will be ready for the 2020 season.
By signing Whitworth as well add that veteran leader ship this young offense of line needs, and helps with the depth moving forward. I do agree that the Rams offensive line is intact.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Look, I get if Noteboom had not been injured, the majority of this convo would be moot. But things aren't perfect.

And hoping and praying that either Evans or Edwards could even be as good as a declining Whitworth is a tall freaking order. Not as good as Whitworth... but as good as a declining Whitworth!

Whitworth would be retiring if he thought he was going to be declining. The penalties that were called on him this season we’re borderline. He still has a lot to The Rams organization.
Whitworth will be a Hall of Famer and depending on how the season goes may go in as a Ram ? It’s still funny that McVay is younger than Big Whit and looks up to him in many of ways.