Rams LT Andrew Whitworth expected to return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Need to improve the run game so at the least...

Noteboom/Evans
Corbett
Blythe FA or Draftee
Edwards
Evans/Havenstein

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Noteboom/Evans
Corbett
Blythe FA or Draftee
Edwards
Evans/Havenstein
Maybe I’m the only one, but I would rather have Whit starting for another season than counting on Noteboom either to be healthy or to immediately be an effective LT. Rather see him as backup for one more year of learning.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe I’m the only one, but I would rather have Whit starting for another season than counting on Noteboom either to be healthy or to immediately be an effective LT. Rather see him as backup for one more year of learning.
And then the year you finally let him start he's a free agent and we start all over again. Chances are anyways he won't be ready to start the season which likely means we need to move on and use him as a swing tackle when he comes back.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
2020 Without drafted players (9 players on the depth chart) :

LT) Whitworth, Brewer, (Noteboom)
LG) Edwards, Demby, Trewyn or Corbett
C) Corbett, Trewyn
RG) Brewer, Evans, Trewyn, Edwards
RT) Havenstein, Evans, (Noteboom)

2020 With drafted player (9 on the depth chart) :

LT) Whitworth, (2'nd rd. draftee), Brewer, (Noteboom)
LG) Edwards, Trewyn, Brewer
C) Corbett, Trewyn
RG) Brewer, Evans, Edwards, Trewyn

2020 With additional expensive free agent (10 players on the depth chart)

LT) Whitworth, (2'nd rd. draftee), Brewer, (Noteboom)
LG) Edwards, Brewer, Trewyn
C) Corbett, Trewyn
RG) Scherff, Brewer, Evans

Evans & Brewer compete for swing tackle lead.
(Noteboom) returns mid-season.
Brewer, Trewyn & Demby compete for swing OG lead.
Practice squad OL consists of Allen, Shelton & Demby.
Whitworth is hired as an OL assistant coach following the season.
jmo.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
We need walls... Literally. Our line needs to be the most disciplined of disciplined. Stay put block whatever comes at you. You shouldn’t have to move completely, but shift. Need a foundation. Hell of a center. Build around that.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm hoping they bring Whit back. I know he isn't what he used to be but he's still the best option.

fearsomefour

Legend
We need walls... Literally. Our line needs to be the most disciplined of disciplined. Stay put block whatever comes at you. You shouldn’t have to move completely, but shift. Need a foundation. Hell of a center. Build around that.
Easy said, hard done.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Couple of things...

First, I’m puzzled that so many think that Boom won’t be able to play until mid-season. I think he’ll be ready by camp since he’ll have 4 more weeks of rehab than Kupp did.

Second, after learning that Blythe was playing on an injured ankle and with both shoulders needing surgery, I’m more optimistic that he might be an adequate starting C when healthy. Frankly, I’m amazed that Blythe could even practice much less play through that kinda pain. Smh.

Third, I’m kinda intrigued by Corbett at either LG or C. Kromer has liked him since before he was drafted and I think that counts for a lot. Hope Corbett has the temperament to be a quality OL player.

Hell, we may be in better shape on our OL than we think.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I smell a disaster at LT.
$8M is about what I’d offer Whitworth.
I’ve mentioned signing Dozier multiple times. I see him more as a G than a LT....but certainly can provide depth for not much.
Just some more thoughts on your comments above......& for my Ram bud @Rams43.
Noteboom signed the rookie 4 yr deal as a 3rd rd. pick in 2018. JN had a decent rookie season seeing some limited series in the offense @ both LT & RT. He did have one game where he finished over a half of a gm replacing an injured AW & looked rather well in his performance. Most of JN's work in his rookie season was filling in for AW in practice @ LT.

In 2018 JN 2nd season from the beginning he was moved from the LT post to OG. Something entirely different for him since he had always played OT in college & his rookie season. From OTA/ Training Camp he was our starting OG not OT. JN did not play in preseason.

In 2019 JN did nothing but OG work not OT work. JN knew what to do as a OG, but he was unable to be effective on the playing field as an NFL OG. The injury was an of the serous kind, damaging & tearing the ACL and MCL in his right knee. No further information was given on other areas of that knee that might have been damaged.

JN had his first surgery sometime late October 2019.

When JN is fully recovered & done with most all the major parts of rehab on that knee, JN will have to restart his OL technical mechanics on the LT position something he has not done since his rookie 2018 season.

ROD Members expecting that JN will be ready to perform starting duties @ LT this upcoming season is unrealistic. It's my belief that its more likely that JN will not be ready for any game action until very late in the season. There is a very good chance JN's 3rd NFL season might be spent on the sideline in street clothes & later as the top OT reserve.

Snead/ McVay know this & must have 2020 starting LT plan that for the most part does not include Noteboom having a role @ LT.

Snead/McVay will also know that JN's contract is up in 2021. So finding a legitimate new starting LT with outstanding pass protection skills for a mostly immobile easily harassed & mistake inclined pocket passer should be very high on their list of concerns.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm hoping they bring Whit back. I know he isn't what he used to be but he's still the best option.

Very well said, I can’t see them not bringing Whitworth back for all he has done & the relationships he has built.
What is going to happen is The Rams will let him test his value on the open market & go from there. Unless the numbers workout for both sides before that.
-Les Snead is about making sure players are happy with there contract & to be a Ram.
—Last season at this time everyone thought he was going to hang’m up

- I just remember an article or post from his wife last season. It pretty well will tell Ram fans what Andrew Whitworth is all about.

- The cool thing I saw was against Arizona he got another crap holding call against him. He was furious & had so much fire & passion going after the Ref !! He was Mic’d up this season as well. He is still having fun & is a talker. He is an excellent Mentor of Men !! Mcvay absolutely loves guy, like in. Serious man crush !! Big Whit ain’t going nowhere except to open up The Rams New SoFI Stadium

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Noteboom/Evans
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans/Havenstein
Run them through camp and run them through some preseason games together.
(JMO)

yep- but sign Whitworth for one more season & you have to add Brian Allen in there. As bad as Ram fans think he is, it is not The Rams thinking & Ram fans maybe pleasantly surprised.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Noteboom signed the rookie 4 yr deal as a 3rd rd. pick in 2018. JN had a decent rookie season seeing some limited series in the offense @ both LT & RT. He did have one game where he finished over a half of a gm replacing an injured AW & looked rather well in his performance. Most of JN's work in his rookie season was filling in for AW in practice @ LT.

In 2018 JN 2nd season from the beginning he was moved from the LT post to OG. Something entirely different for him since he had always played OT in college & his rookie season. From OTA/ Training Camp he was our starting OG not OT. JN did not play in preseason.

In 2019 JN did nothing but OG work not OT work. JN knew what to do as a OG, but he was unable to be effective on the playing field as an NFL OG. The injury was an of the serous kind, damaging & tearing the ACL and MCL in his right knee. No further information was given on other areas of that knee that might have been damaged.

When JN is fully recovered & done with most all the major parts of rehab on that knee, JN will have to restart his OL technical mechanics on the LT position something he has not done since his rookie 2018 season.

ROD Members expecting that JN will be ready to perform starting duties @ LT this upcoming season is unrealistic. It's my belief that its more likely that JN will not be ready for any game action until very late in the season. There is a very good chance JN's 3rd NFL season might be spent on the sideline in street clothes & later as the top OT reserve.

Snead/ McVay know this & must have 2020 starting LT plan that for the most part does not include Noteboom having a role @ LT.

Snead/McVay will also know that JN's contract is up in 2021. So finding a legitimate new starting LT with outstanding pass protection skills for a mostly immobile easily harassed & mistake inclined pocket passer should be very high on their list of concerns.

sort of scary, but then again if they believe in Noteboom it might be easier to sign home to a long term contract down the road . The Ram giving him extra time to recover may help the longevity of his career as a Ram ??
Your points are spot on. I think The Rams sign Whitworth for a least another season. Who knows how ling it will take to fully develop these young Offensive Lineman. What I do know is this is the first time as a Rams fan I can remember a full stable of ascending young Offensive Lineman . — Spending on Whitworth is not a bad thing. How much might be ?? I think the open market will create itself, but the young lineman’s basic contracts help with the salary cap.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

1) LT Andrew Whitworth

Some seem to believe Whitworth is over the hill, though I do not share those sentiments. The blindside protector of QB Jared Goff is arguably the most important position on the team — sans the QB position itself, and that is why re-signing Big Whit — or adequately replacing him — needs to be the first thing the front office decides this offseason. Whit took a step back from an elite 2018 campaign, but still played 99% of the offensive snaps this season (1100 total) and registered a 72.8 PFF grade, by far and away the best of the offensive line unit. One thing to note: Whit was one of the most penalized OL in the league as he was flagged 14 times.

With all that being said, both Goff and RB Todd Gurley are incredibly reliant on the performance of their offensive line, which explains why Whit lands at the top of this list.

fearsomefour

Legend

That’s just it.
There was no plan outside of Noteboom.
Are they hiding some fantastic talent on the practice squad?
They have some amazing rookie LT prospect who is going to step in day one at LT without a major downgrade from a very good vet?
Brewer? Edwards? Evans?
Same comment applies to C.
This was the plan. It got sidetracked by bad play and injuries.
Guys could step up and JN and Allen could turn out to be long term solutions and great players.
I don’t see a way the OL improves because of an infusion of ready to play talent at its two most important positions....LT and C.
A lot could change and I want to be very wrong. As it stands now with limited resources, I think the Rams OL is a couple of years away from being a good and settled unit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think that the Snead/McVay have assembled a very large collection of young OL'ers with some possibly having latent good starting talent. All the below 2019 Ram OLers are under 24 yrs old & have very small amounts of NFL game action.

Joe Noteboom (IR'd & PUP early in 2020)
Brian Allen (IR)
Jeremiah Kolone
Nate Trewyn
Coleman Shelton
Bobby Evans
David Edwards
Jamil Demby
Austin Corbett
Chandler Brewer

What Snead/ McVay are in serious shortage of is experienced veteran starting OL'ers. The only Ram veteran OL'er is Rob Havenstein who is coming off his worse season as a pro, plus ended his 2019 season with an injury.

If former Ram OL'er Whitworth & Blythe do not sign future Ram contracts.... it sure would leave the Rams OL in very young inexperienced hands. As we know that LT UFA's are few & only several of these UFA LT's warrant any considerations. A trade for a problematic veterans like LT Cordy Glenn might be considered.

I still believe that former McVay starting OG Spencer Long would be a good veteran UFA swing OG to sign. Other UFA veteran interior OL'ers present starting OC for 9ers Ben Garland/ Viking Brett Jones(IR), Graham Glasgow, LAC Ryan Groy as possible try out OL'ers to add as veteran reserves.

I still like the ideal of go hard after UFA Redskins OG Brandon Scherff who is 28 yrs old with 5 NFL seasons as a starter & has worked with McVay. When McVay was the Skins OG Spencer Long was his starting LG & Scherff was his starting RG.@Riverumbbq

Team him with Havenstein on that right side. Yes that would be highly expensive & cause great issues with retaining players like Littleton/ Fowler/ Brockers & Greg Zuerlein but nothing has a higher priority than getting this OL into a smooth effective running operation with main goals to keep Goff unmolested to make the throws to a highly talented receiver unit plus providing Gurley holes to run through.

Then use all those 10 young under contract OL'ers to find the best starting candidates to start @ the LT/LG/OC posts.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
At 38 yrs old and fresh off surgery i'd like to think a home town discount would be in order here.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Agree, big Whit may be 80% of his former self, but that is still better than almsot any LT that the Rams can afford. He loves L.A. so maybe he will give us a discount?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

Noteboom/Evans
Corbett
Blythe FA or Draftee
Edwards
Evans/Havenstein
That is a definite possibility.
But we would have to use our second rounder on the best Center available and hope we can get him up to speed in a short period of time.
Plus, remember that free agency happens before the draft so we would have to do both, get somebody in free agency that might cost as much as Blythe and turn around and draft somebody as well.
Why not just pay the sure thing in the mistake free consummate Pros Pro Blythe who already knows our offense and is an above-average pass blocker?

Get the improvement in our running game from our, tight ends, scheme and guards and tackles who will be younger and more experienced.

Last edited: