Rams lineman Wichmann knows how to hammer/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UDFA
If you are into the Sparq analysis he was ranked 31st of 295 or so prospects. One spot below T.J. Clemmings.

FYI, Jamon Brown was ranked 21st of 295. One spot ahead of Cameron Erving.

Donnell 91st
Havenstein 158st
Very interesting.
Looks like the Seahawks philosophy really is catching on.
The more I read about this group of linemen... The more excited I am.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wouldn't it be better to look at shuttle times for pulling OGs?
OK here you go...
20 yd shuttle
Brown 4.61
Saffold 4.67
Wichmann 4.75
Donnal 4.77
Rhaney 4.78
Havenstein 4.87
Washington 4.87

3 cone drill
Brown 7.36
Wichmann 7.41

Saffold 7.42
Donnal 7.51
Rhaney 7.59
Washington 8.22
Havenstein 8.28

10 yd dash
Wichmann 1.73
Brown 1.74

Rhaney 1.75
Saffold 1.80
Barnes 1.83
Havenstein 1.88
Donnal 1.92

20 yd Dash
Rhaney 2.85
Wichmann 2.91
Brown 2.95

Saffold 3.00
Barnes 3.03
Donnal 3.14
Havenstein 3.16

Wichmann & Brown in the top 3 standings in the four test brackets

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams sixth-round pick Wichmann fueled by underdog mentality
Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

MAY 11, 2015 1:20p ET

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...-wichmann-fueled-by-underdog-mentality-051115

Two traits highlight the playing style of Rams sixth-round draft pick Cody Wichmann: He plays with an edge, and he thrives as an underdog.

The offensive lineman estimates there are about 600 students at Mariposa High School in California, where he played football before attending Fresno State and becoming the 215th overall selection in this year's NFL Draft.

"I like to think (I'm) somewhat of an underdog, coming from the small schools," he says.

Consider it a natural byproduct of living in a small town, although by the time Wichmann graduated from high school, Mariposa had already sent one offensive lineman to the NFL -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers guard Logan Mankins, who also attended Fresno State.

"Even at Fresno they had his picture in the main hallway that we had to our meeting rooms, and (I'd) just glance up there every once in a while and tell myself, 'Gosh, he did it from a small town, why can't I?'" Wichmann remembers.

That said, any doubters were smart enough to keep their mouths shut in his vicinity.

"No one's ever said it to my face," says the 6-foot-6, 315-pound lineman. "I'm sure there were people saying I was from such a small school and whatnot, and they're probably saying I shouldn't have made it to college, shouldn't have made it to pro. So I've kind of used that -- I imagine that there was that, and then I used it to get me going."

Meanwhile, his ability to play with an edge -- "If you're somewhere in the vicinity, he's going to hit you," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after drafting Wichmann -- was honed by watching NFL players and playing at Fresno, which preached adding bite to the Bulldogs' game.

Wichmann started 50 games in his career for the Bulldogs, including a run of 43 in a row.

"We called it 'ribs,' getting ribs," Wichmann says.

The team even had a board for it -- players accumulated points for such play throughout the year, and at its conclusion, the winner received a hammer adorned with Bulldog stickers and his name.

"I won it twice," Wichmann notes. "I think (the last hammer is) in the trunk of my car right now. ... They might both be in there."

Wichmann also proved durable during his time at Fresno, starting 50 games -- 43 of which were in a row -- after redshirting his freshman year.

All that size, edge and durability got the small-town lineman all the way to Rams Park this past weekend, where players assembled for the start of rookie orientation camp. Wichmann ran through the technique exercises at guard and at one point switched over to center -- a position he'd never played before in-game. And while he didn't actually snap the ball during orientation, he'd practiced the skill between the end of his season at Fresno State and the draft, in case a situation like that occurred. With St. Louis selecting three offensive linemen before taking Wichmann, the versatility can only help his case.

Wichmann also must relearn a pro-style offense, since Fresno worked out of the spread during his last two and a half years in college. Earlier in his college career, however, the program ran a pro-style offense under former coach Pat Hill, and Wichmann says many of the run-blocking terms in Hill's system and what he's learning now are the same. Before coming to camp, he pulled out an old playbook from that era to brush up on terms, and even worked plays on the board with the San Diego Chargers' Kenny Wiggins, with whom Wichmann played as a freshman at Fresno.

He's also tabbed the speed and the strength of the NFL game as two more adjustments he'll have to make going from college to professional football.

"We're just dealing with fresh-out-of-college guys, and it still seems faster, because these are all top-notch players," Wichmann said Saturday. "So I can only imagine when the big dogs come in here."

If his underdog past is any indication, however, Wichmann should be more than capable of learning to run with them.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Instead of helping them up, he needs to learnto tell them "If I were you I'd stay down!" JMHO!:LOL:

he's probably like my older brother was as kids, he'd knock me down, help me up and then knock me down again. i was a slow learner.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam going the extra mile to give us info:
Stuff plus this: Wichmann & Brown in the top 3 standings in the four test brackets
Thanks for this Bonifay!:bow:
What doesn't look so good is the fact that Havenstein is last in every metric except the 10 yard split and he's second to last there. Yikes!

Good thing I don't put much weight in any of this stuff but still....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just hope this doesn't come up on the NFL's radar as someone targeting another player's ribs. It would be SO like them with their two faced safety agenda.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What doesn't look so good is the fact that Havenstein is last in every metric except the 10 yard split and he's second to last there. Yikes!

Length is a metric, too!

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

I noticed exactly the same thing Alan!! All reports indicated that he had good feet for a big man. Maybe that actually means that people are surprised he can move at all at that size!! :)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Interesting that he came from the same high school and college as Mankins. If he turns out as good we got ourselves a good one.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
BTW I love this kid (Wichman) and IMO, he's a future RG...I see Jamon Brown on the left side and eventually the left guard and Wichman backing up Saffold at RG, if they switch Rodger back...IMO Andrew Donnal will be the utility guy who's played every position but center. Finally depth along the offensive interior....Thank goodness!
And YOUNG ... HEALTHY depth ... gotta love it!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I 'll say this Alan....some OL'ers have this magic stuff where their best talents is being an immovable impenetrable wall. Where they can just remain in a small area not necessarily moving forward @ a high rate of speed but not giving an inch to the enemy opponent either!

Havenstein is obviously slow at moving his feet in running but if he can fully entangle & occupy the enemy in a 2 yd boxed area ...well that's fine with me. Havenstein may not have any back up gear so he can't go back wards.

If you were able to watch Barrett Jones back in his 2011 season you will see some of that when he started & played Left OT. Barrett always seemed to look like he was going to be beaten in pass protection but his counter-moves were painted like Rembrandt's in my mind.

Barrett would stand in that small area & just out think & out battle his defensive opponent with hand & arm placements & body positioning then the play was over...the opponent was blocked he did his job not in a flashy way but just in a blue collar workmen like way each & every time....Barrett is not fast in a timed dash either.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam wanting to box him up:
Havenstein is obviously slow at moving his feet in running but if he can fully entangle & occupy the enemy in a 2 yd boxed area ...well that's fine with me. Havenstein may not have any back up gear so he can't go back wards.
Possibly Bonifay but unless he moves to OG how do you accomplish that?

I'm not sure Barrett is a good example because he actually has feet whereas Havenstein seems to be possessed with roots instead. :LOL: Roots are good and make you strong at the point of attack in that 2 yd box but don't do much for stopping speed rushers. At least he'll probably be immune to those double moves because his body won't have had time to bite on the initial fake and he'll still be there for the inside move. That should help the RG playing next to him. :LOL:

Let's see how he looks in TC and preseason because I'm not a big fan of using combine numbers to determine a players ability to do things on the field. Football instincts and technique mean a lot more to me.