Rams' Jared Goff must transform into Joe Cool to join QB elites

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

12105508.jpg

After a stellar 2018 regular season, the Rams' Jared Goff struggled in the Super Bowl against New England, completing 19 of 38 passes for 229 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception. Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports
fb.png
twitter.png
flipboard_white.png
reddit.png

Rams' Jared Goff must transform into Joe Cool to join QB elites
By Michael Nania | Last updated 8/20/19

Jared Goff is one of the more interesting QB mysteries in the NFL. Over the past two seasons, he has put up some of the most prolific passing numbers in the league. Since 2017, he is fourth in the NFL in passing touchdowns (60) and fifth in passing yards (8,492), spearheading one of the NFL's most dangerous offenses. Earlier this year, he led the Los Angeles Rams to Super Bowl LIII at only 24 years old.

However, many have questioned the legitimacy of Goff’s production. Are his gaudy numbers truly representative of his talent level? Or are they a product of head coach Sean McVay’s masterful scheming ability?
Let’s assess Goff’s greatest strengths and weaknesses:

STRENGTHS

Protecting home turf

When playing on his home field, Goff has produced at a dominant level.

In his eight home games in 2018, he completed 207 of 303 passes (68.3 percent) for 2,737 yards (9.0 per attempt), 22 touchdowns and three interceptions. He led the league in passing yards and touchdowns at home. The home passing yardage total, a whopping 342.1 per game, is the sixth-highest mark by a quarterback in a season.

Goff registered a spectacular passer rating of 116.7 in Los Angeles this past season. He also joined Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Kurt Warner as the only QBs who have won at least seven games and posted a 115.0 passer rating at home.

No game better exemplified Goff’s home cooking than the Rams’ 38-31 win over theMinnesota Vikings in Week 4. In that game, Goff completed 26 of 33 passes for 465 yards, five touchdowns and zero interceptions. Those numbers earned Goff a perfect passer rating of 158.3 as well as the NFL records for most pass attempts and passing yards in a perfectly rated game.

All of Goff’s best traits were on display in that historic game. On the following play, the Rams hurry up to the line following a five-yard run on first down. Wide receiver Cooper Kupp runs across the field out of the slot, drawing a mismatch with Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr. Kupp turns upfield and runs a vertical route, easily toasting Barr.

Impressively, it appears Goff knew pre-snap this matchup was going to be there. After receiving the ball, Goff keeps his head turned to the left to freeze the other two linebackers and prevent them from helping over the top. Then he moves his eyes to the right and immediately winds up, starting his throwing motion well before Kupp looks back for the ball. Goff’s throw hits Kupp in perfect stride, and he jogs in for the 70-yard score.

Goff is not only a pocket passer. He is plenty capable of making pinpoint throws on the move, which he is frequently asked to do in McVay’s offense.

Later in the game, Goff and Kupp connected for another touchdown, seen below. Goff, in the shotgun, fakes a hand-off to the motioning Todd Gurley. Goff rolls to his right while the flow of the offense carries most of the defense to the left. Moving right with Goff is Kupp, who runs a crossing route from the left slot to the back right pylon. Kupp is sandwiched, as his man-to-man defender has him over the top and the defensive back covering that zone takes Kupp underneath. The window is microscopic, but Goff takes the shot anyway. Throwing on the run while under pressure, Goff drops the ball in the bucket as Kupp separates at the last moment to make the catch.

Bombs away on first down
In 2018, Goff averaged 9.3 yards per attempt on first down passes, the best mark among the top 30 quarterbacks in first-down passing attempts. Additionally, Goff moved the chains on first down a whopping total of 89 times, the third-highest total in the league behind only Patrick Mahomes (91) and Matt Ryan (93). He registered a conversion rate of 36.9 percent on first down, fourth best in the league behind only Jameis Winston (37.6), Philip Rivers (39.8) and Drew Brees (40.2).
Goff and the Rams were able to generate a huge number of big plays on first down, often moving the ball downfield quickly without needing to face many third downs. On first downs in 2018, Goff completed 39 passes for gains of 20-plus yards, the highest total in the league.

In a Week 2 game against the Arizona Cardinals, Goff completed four 20-plus yard passes on first down, gaining an astounding total of 120 yards. Three of those completions were to wide receiver Brandin Cooks, for 99 yards.

The longest of those catches by Cooks came on the following play, a 57-yard bomb. The Rams are on their own 21-yard line, having just received possession following a Cardinals punt on the previous play. On the first snap of the drive, the Rams take a shot. Goff fakes the hand-off and first looks to his right at the crossing Cooper Kupp, drawing in safety Tre Boston. That frees up the deep range for Cooks, who uses his 4.33 speed (95 th percentile among wide receivers) to burn cornerback Jamar Taylor. Expecting help from Boston, Taylor plays Cooks underneath, but since the help never comes, Cooks is able to gain about four yards of separation. Goff loads up and launches a rocket that travels 63 yards in the air, and Cooks hauls it in for a 57-yard strike on first down.

Goff underthrew this ball a bit, but given the enormous distance of the throw, a completion is plenty to be happy about. Even when the receiver has that much separation, a 60-plus yard throw is difficult to complete. Goff got enough air under the ball, and the Rams are able to cover more than half of the field on a surprise first-down shot.

WEAKNESSES
Getting it done on the road

Goff’s home/road splits have been extremely volatile. In 2017, he was just decent at home (17th among qualifiers in passer rating); on the road, he was one of the best quarterbacks in football (2nd in passer rating).

In 2018, those splits flipped dramatically. As noted earlier, Goff performed historically well at home. However, on the road, Goff was one of the least productive quarterbacks in the league, completing 157 of 258 passes (60.9 percent) for 1,951 yards (7.6 per attempt) and 10 touchdowns. He threw nine interceptions, tied for fourth most in the league. On the road, he had a passer rating of 82.7, ranking 28thamong the 34 quarterbacks with at least 100 passing attempts on the road.

Goff’s worst road trip was easily the Rams’ Week 14 visit to Chicago against the Bears’ top-ranked defense. Goff completed 20 of 44 passes for 180 yards and no touchdowns, tossing a career-high four interceptions. He averaged only 4.1 yards per attempt and earned a passer rating of 19.1. Since the turn of the century, that stands as the third-worst passer rating posted by a quarterback to throw at least 40 passes.

Passing under pressure
In addition to his road woes, that game in Chicago highlighted Goff’s other major issue: throwing under pressure.

The Bears' pass rush was downright unstoppable that night, and Goff had no answer. Chicago pressured Goff an astonishing total of 25 times. On those plays, Goff completed just 8 of 22 passes for 88 yards (an ugly 4.0 yards per attempt), throwing three interceptions and taking three sacks.

Goff’s difficulties dealing with pressure that night were a shining example of a weakness he displayed all season. When pressured, Goff completed 68 of 157 passes (43.3 percent) for 913 yards (5.8 per attempt), five touchdowns and five interceptions. Goff’s passer rating under pressure of 59.8 ranked 29th of the 39 quarterbacks with at least 150 total dropbacks last season.

The Rams had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL last season, so Goff did not have to work often under heavy pressure. However, when he did, the results were usually disappointing. Chicago was a prime example. On this play, something happens that Goff is certainly not used to –- his superstar left tackle, Andrew Whitworth, is beaten. In a battle of beasts, it’s Chicago’s all-world pass rusher, Khalil Mack, earning the victory. Mack slips between Whitworth and left guard Rodger Saffold to get to Goff. The quarterback does not feel the pressure from his blindside, and Mack knocks the football out from behind. The Rams recover, but they take five-yard loss on second down.

That play highlights another Goff issue: fumbling. He was tied for the NFL lead with 12 fumbles last season. Five of those were lost, tying him for the fifth-highest total in the league.

In the Super Bowl against the Patriots, Goff also struggled while under pressure, completing four of 14 passes for 47 yards (3.4 per attempt). He was sacked four times, and his passer rating was 11.3.

Goff is one of the most talented young passers in the NFL, but to secure his place among the league’s elite QBs, he must do a better job staying cool under pressure.

Michael Nania writes about the NFL, focusing mainly on statistical analysis. His work can also be found at Gang Green Nation and Elite Sports New York. On Twitter, Michael can be found @Michael_Nania.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Forget Joe Cool. Goff can be this guy

nerd boy wearing spectacles in an office at the doctor

as long as he helps the Rams win many Super Bowls.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So have you seen many QBs shake things off like Goff? He's far from perfect but he's hardly someone who panics. I've seen him pounded into the ground or picked off and simply keep making throws. The Giants totally rattled Brady in two Superbowls. It happens that a team has a game plan to beat your stars. It happened to us last Feb.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The writer’s obviously a stat guy, and you really cannot argue with his numbers. Gotta take the bad with the good.

Ironic thing to me is Goff IS Joe Cool.
Name a cooler, last play doesn’t matter, more even keeled, less volatile QB in the NFL. You can’t.
Forget Matty Ice , who btw isn’t.

As far as the SB, a 24 year old with 2 years in the league vs Brady with 20, and Belicek - he gets a pass from me.

fearsomefour

Legend
As long as Goff doesn’t turn into Joe Coke-head.
Miss part of a season with a mystery back surgery that leaves no scar. More than one kind of rehab I guess.
F Joe.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Alternate headline: Goff should continue being the guy he was in the last 3 quarters and overtime of the NFC Championship.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
As long as Goff doesn’t turn into Joe Coke-head.
Miss part of a season with a mystery back surgery that leaves no scar. More than one kind of rehab I guess.
F Joe.
Never heard this before. Has it got any legs?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Are his gaudy numbers truly representative of his talent level? Or are they a product of head coach Sean McVay’s masterful scheming ability?

As soon as I read that I knew this was going to be poorly written.

Why is it ALWAYS one or the other when it's fucking clearly obvious that it's BOTH.

Any idiot can see that what is causing the offense to be amazing has been three things. McVay's play design/play calling, Goff's ability and Gurley's ability.

If it was just the scheme any team could look at tape of the Rams and immediately replicate the success.

Why is it so hard for so many "writers" to figure this out? How can so many people be so fucking stupid and make a living out of it!?!?!?!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Why is it ALWAYS one or the other when it's freaking clearly obvious that it's BOTH.

Any idiot can see that what is causing the offense to be amazing has been three things. McVay's play design/play calling, Goff's ability and Gurley's ability.

If it was just the scheme any team could look at tape of the Rams and immediately replicate the success.

Why is it so hard for so many "writers" to figure this out? How can so many people be so freaking stupid and make a living out of it!?!?!?!

the seeds were set when fisher had goff in street clothes week 1 of his rookie season. that confirmed to nfl media that goff was a colossal bust. 1st overall pick in street clothes was unheard of in the nfl now. then he didn't play well as a rookie in a jeff fisher offense with rob boreus as his oc and it confirmed it to all of them. they can't get that season out of their simple thinking minds.

funny how none of those bozos mention that any qb that played for the cheats while brady was out looked very good and they won most of those games. fucking arseclowns.

oldnotdead

Legend
Just more overreaction to a developing young talent. People make too much of this "system QB" label. It's complete BS. All QB's are system players....duuhhh!!! They will thrive in one system and not so much in another. All it means is that this system plays to Goff's strengths, which is true with all elite QB's. Put any of the elites into a system that doesn't play to their strengths and you won't get elite level play.

Goff is successful because he's got a HC that plays to his strengths. Goff is as cool under pressure as any of the so-called elite QB's. I've seen Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and the Goat Brady make mistakes under pressure. It happens.

What is important is that Goff has progressed in his development each year and I would expect that again this season. All these talking heads will be saying "I told you so" when the Rams win the Lombardi this season. This type of article simply highlights how little the author knows about QB's.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Show me the vast list of Quarterbacks that put up better stats on the road and under pressure.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

Why is it ALWAYS one or the other when it's freaking clearly obvious that it's BOTH.

Why is it so hard for so many "writers" to figure this out? How can so many people be so freaking stupid and make a living out of it!?!?!?!

No coach wins without the horses. See the cheatriots before brady.
the cowboys before the big 3 on offense and that OL.
the 9ers before montana and his HOFs.
those teams had good coaches, but until they got the talent...
............................................................................................Vermeil before the GSOT.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Lots and lots of rumors back in the day.
That’s good enough for me and my blinding whiner hatred.

(y)(y)(y)

Speaking of which, guess who the only NFL team to hold Montana scoreless in a game is?

You sir are correct! - (where's the avatar when I need it)?

Ram vs. Chiefs 1994. 16-0

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
the seeds were set when fisher had goff in street clothes week 1 of his rookie season. that confirmed to nfl media that goff was a colossal bust. 1st overall pick in street clothes was unheard of in the nfl now. then he didn't play well as a rookie in a jeff fisher offense with rob boreus as his oc and it confirmed it to all of them. they can't get that season out of their simple thinking minds.

But anyone watching the last two years couldn't make a logical case that Goff isn't really fuckin good.

You just cannot make a case against him unless you are lying. Period.

He's made his bones.

fearsomefour

Legend
(y)(y)(y)

Speaking of which, guess who the only NFL team to hold Montana scoreless in a game is?

You sir are correct! - (where's the avatar when I need it)?

Ram vs. Chiefs 1994. 16-0
I remember watching this at a sports book of all places. I’m KC too if memory serves.